Friday, July 17, 2009
Asdal church / Asdal kirke and Asdal, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt.
Asdal Church, ab. 12 km north of Hjørring Asdal sogn, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt
The small white-washed church is situated in a desolate place southeast of Asdal Hovedgård (manor). Asdal church was from the beginning only a chapel for Asdal manor. The parish was earlier named "Asdal Kapels sogn" and Niels Persøn is mentioned in 1476 as a curate at Asdal. The church is a late Gothic longhouse building from the last half of the 1400s with a half-timbered porch to the north, probably from the 1700s. The Gothic building is built in monk bricks mixed with a few granite stones. In the north wall inside is a broad point arched glare, possibly a bricked-up archade for a later broken down sacristy or burial vault. The ceiling in the undivided room is dressed in boards. The little pretty porch has black tarred half-timbering.
Some figures from an earlier late Gothic altar piece and a crucifix-group is given to the National Museum in Copenhagen. The altar piece is a Lutheranian triptychon from ab. 1575 with a painting from ab. 1700. A chalice from the 1700s. Late Gothic ore-candelabres from ab. 1550 with the coat of arms of Banner. A late Romanesque thurible which probably belonged to the church was found at Asdal Voldsted (castle bank). It is now at the National Museum. A Romanesque granite font with a hemispherical basin and a truncated crone-foot with line ornaments. A south German baptismal bowl, ab. 1575. The pulpit is a fine Renaissance joinery from 1578, given by Otto Banner of Asdal and wife Inge(Ingeborg) Skeel with their paternal and maternal coat of arms, restored in 1905. Pews from the same period and manor-pews with the same coat of arms. A church bell from 1627 cast by Hans Kemmer with Fr. Rantzau's name. In the choir a marble epitaph for Christen Speitzer Follerup, +1789. 5 gravestones from the 1600s and 1700s, one is a trapez-shaped bondegravsten (peasant) in granit for ("wife MGD died 1800").
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Asdal (1393 Asedal); Skovsgårde (1638 Schouffgaard); Rækær ( 1662 Rikier, 1688 Ree Kier); Skoven ( 1688 Schoufven); Heden (1688 Heeden); Puthede (1662 Putheede); Mosen (1688 Mossen); Kjul (1419 Kyle Mølle, 1662 Nør Kiil, Sønder Kiil, 1688 Nør-Sønderkyfvel); Stejlbjerg
(1662 Steilberig); Rugtved (1688 Routued); Hulskov ( 662 Halschou, 1688 Houl Schouf); Rynken (1688 Røncken ) ; Gravholt (1688 Graufverholtz Huus.).
Asdal Hovedgård (Manor).
The history of Asdal can be brought back to the 1300s where hr. Niels Ovesen Panter and his wife fru Johanne Andersdatter (Stenbrikke) owned the manor, which was inherited by their son væbner Anders Nielsen Panter (+ latest 1406), who in 1393 wrote himself of Asdal and was married 2) to fru Ide Lydersdatter Holck (+ earliest 1425); she wrote herself in 1406 of Asdal and since married hr.Lyder Kabel of Fuglsang (+ earliest 1440), who in 1415 wrote himself of Asdal. Lyder Kabel on behalf of his wife and Bonde Due of Torup (Hillerslev herred) on behalf of his wife achieved in 1419 by a share of inheritance 2/3 of Asdal, while 1/3 of the manor went to Anders Nielsen Panter's sister fru Ingeborg Nielsdatter Panter's (+ earliest 1411) husband , rigshofmester hr. Anders Jacobsen Lunge (+ 1429). Bonde Due (+ earliest 1430) was married to fru Ide's daughter fru Johanne Andersdatter Panter (+ 1477) and took over in 1419 hr. Lyder's part in Asdal; fru Johanne , who was said to be the last member of her family (Panter), was in 1462-63 royal vasal in Vendsyssel; her second husband was hr. Niels Eriksen Banner of Vinstrup (+ earliest 1444), who in 1425-43 is written of Asdal. A relative of Niels, hr. Jens Eriksen Banner( + earliest 1444) must also have had a share of Asdal, which he wrote himself of in 1423. After the death of Niels Eriksen Banner fru Johanne wrote herself in 1455-74 of the manor; in the division of the estate after her Asdal estate was laid out to her son rigsråd hr. Anders Nielsen Banner, who already in 1454 and 1463 had written himself of Asdal. At his death in 1486 his only son Erik Andersen Banner, who in 1480 wrote himself to A., had died a few years before (+ latest 1483) , but his widow Karen Stensdatter Gøye is mentioned in 1480-88 of Asdal; she later married rigsråd hr. Niels Høg Banner of Eskær (+ 1524).
Above mentioned Anders Nielsen Banner's daughter Anne Andersdatter Banner (+ latest 1490) , who was married to Jens Due Thott of Egholm (Voldborg herred) had inherited a sister-part in A., which she according to a thing's witness in 1492 gave to her brother's children. Among these rigsråd and rigsmarsk Erik Eriksen Banner (+ 1554) inherited Asdal manor and estate, which later came to his son Otte Eriksen Banner, married in 1560 to Ingeborg Skeel of Voergård, who after his death in 1585 kept Asdal until her death in 1604, since Otte Banner before his death had conveyed manor and estate to his family, but in a way so fru Ingeborg kept the estate or a part of it as fief for the rest of her life. Two brother-sons, Erik Andersen Banner of Gjessingholm (+ 1597) and Otte Andersen Banner of Studstrup (Rinds herred) (+ 1625), inherited Asdal, to which the first mentioned wrote himself in 1595, while Otte Banner's sisters Berete Banner (+ 1592), married to Knud Bille of Lindved (+ 1592), Magdalene Banner (+ 1597), widow after Iver Krabbe of Krabbesholm (+ 1561), and Karen Banner of Høgholt, widow after Gregers Trudsen Ulfstand of Gl. Estrup etc. (+ 1582), achieved a part of the spread estate. Later owners of Asdal: the famililies Ulfstand, Podebusk, Rantzau, Skeel, etc. The owner in 1935 and still in 1959 was Jens Andreasen from Guldager (Vrejlev sogn). was the owner And else various owners up til present.
In a glass box above the main entrance of Asdal Hovedgaard are the rests of a very old ham-bone from a pig. The ham-bone is said to be over 400 years old - and caused by its durability and strength it has supernatural powers, which will be transferred to the house where it is kept. If the ham is removed strange things will happen at Asdal.
Some hundred years ago the pigs were eating mast in the beech- and oak woods. The lands of Asdal Hovedgård and Odden were adjacent. In a hunting a pig was shot and the owners of Asdal Hovedgård and Odden disagreed about to whom the pig belonged. The disputes lead to a lawsuit and the outcome was that the owners of Asdal and Odden had to divide the pig lengthwise. The bacon-sides had to be hang up on the wall in the two manors - and he who was able to keep the ham fresh for the longest period was the true owner of the pig. The ham is still at Asdal, but it has disappeared at Odden.
Next to the farm buildings of Asdal Hovedgård is the large Asdal Voldsted, which consists of a square about 11 m high castle bank ( 63 x 37 m) surrounded by moats, still partly water-filled. The access to the castle bank was from the south, probably via a bridge. At the castle bank was a three-winged building complex, there are still rests of buildings at the top. In 1662 were two houses in two storeys and one half-timbered house in one storey. In 1769 the castle yard was with two houses, one two storey, the other three storey high, one of these houses (named Brunhuset) was said to have been one storey higher. According to tradition there were two huge towers( Vagttårnet and Brandtårnet) on the northern wing's two sides, the rests of these were said to be gunned down in the war 1807-14. Brickworks have been found.
Listed prehistorics: 3 hills, i.e. the high placed Hellehøj; one is possibly the rest of a stone grave.
Demolished or destroyed: 13 hills, all in the southern hilly part of the parish. At Rugtved is found a burial site with stone graves from early Roman Iron Age, and upon the low terrain close to the border of Uggerby was found a settlement with fields from Celtic Iron Age. From Stejlbjerg is a finding with 3 guldbrakteater (gold plates) and 18 glass pearls.
Source: Trap Danmark, Hjørring amt, 1960.
photo Asdal kirke/Asdal voldsted 2003: grethe bachmann