Sunday, July 26, 2009
Odden and Mygdal church / Mygdal kirke, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt.
Odden's history can be brought back to the 1400s where the isolated manor belonged to the old Vendsyssel nobility family Lunge. In 1454-57 Oluf Andersen Lunge was the owner, he was also the owner of Knivholt; his son hr. Oluf Olufsen Lunge (+ earliest 1484 ) is mentioned as the owner in 1469-74. His widow Karen Nielsdatter Banner was married 2) to Vil Thomesen Galskyt, who in 1479-82 wrote himself of Odden. Her daughter of 1. marriage Anne Olufsdatter Lunge inherited the manor, which she by marriage brought to Henrik Jørgensen Friis of Haraldskær (+ earliest 1500), who in 1487-1500 wrote himself of Odden. His daughter Anne Henriksdatter Friis of Haraldskær (V 22.g.), was married 1) to Bjørn Andersen Bjørn of Stenalt (+ earliest 1507) , she later married rigsråd Ove Vincentsen Lunge (Dyre) of Tirsbæk and Kragerup (Løve herred) (+ 1540). After her death Odden came in 1542 to Tyge Lunge (Dyre)
(+ 1545), (whose widow Sophie Nielsdatter Kaas (Sparre-K.) disclaimed liabilities on succeeding to property), and to Christoffer Lunge (Dyre), (who was killed in 1565 in the battle of Svarterå). Odden went to his son Ove Christoffersen Lunge (Dyre) and after his death in 1601 to the son hr. Jørgen Lunge (Dyre) of Birkelse etc.; he died already in 1619 and after him to the son Ove Lunge, who died unmarried in 1637 the last male of his family. His mother Sophie Stensdater Brahe ( + 1659) took over manor and easte. Various owners up til present.
The main building is one of the district's most interesting secular buildings, but its history is not fully known. The manor has three wings of which the built-together south and east wings are from the first half of the 1500s, while the low west wing in half-timbering is built ab. 1765. The oldest part is probably the east wing, with Ove Vincentsen Lunge as the building master. The white-washed wing has a red tiled roof. Remarkable is the great blændingskors (cross) upon the southern gable, a so-called patriark-cross placed between the two upper windows of the gable. The cross is the distinctive mark of the family Lunge and it shows that the east wing must be built in the Catholic period. The south wing with a gate-passage was probably built by Christoffer Lunge in the 1540s. Much later probably after a fire in 1763 is the present west wing which was built in half-timbering in one storey.
The land of the manor was outparcelled in 1945-46. Today Odden is used for exhibitions based upon a large collection of the Danish artist J.F.Willumsen's works.
Odden J.F.Willumsen Collection
The rather desolate placed white-washed church in Mygdal has a late Romanesque choir and nave, a chapel by the north side of the choir from ab. 1550-60 and a porch from 1897. The late Romanesque building is mainly in bricks and is closely related to the Vendsyssel brick-work group. Both gables are re-walled. The choir arch inside is extended and both choir and nave have beamed ceilings. The large chapel at the northside of the choir was probably built by Christoffer lunge as a burial chapel.
Interior: A walled communion table in monk bricks. The altar piece has sections from Renaissance with the coat of arms of Ove Lunge and Anne Sehested upon the foot piece; but it was re-made in Rococo in 1777 with the names of Pors Munch and Else Joh. Seidelin and a new painting. Chalice from 1761. Late Gothic ore candelabres. A small gilt alabast crucifix is now in the National Museum. A Romanesque granite font, half-circular basin upon a hollow pyramid-foot. A south German bowl from ab. 1575 with engraved coat of arms of Kaspar Markdaner and Sofie Oldeland. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix from ab. 1500 upon a new wooden cross. A pulpit in simple Baroque with painted year 1777, repaired 1932. The church bell with the name "Rose" was cast in 1560 by Peder Lauridsen for Christoffer Lunge and hangs in a bell frame. In the choir wall a magnificent Renaissance grave stone from 1576 for Christoffer Lunge, who was killed in 1565 at Falkenberg and Karen Jørgensdatter( Juel) + 1556, with portrait figures of both.
Landscape in the parish.
Names in the middle ages and 1600s:
Mygdal(* 1436 Møgdal, 1480 Mygdal); Odden (1454 Odden); Træholt Mark (1638 Tredholt); Gødgårde (1498 Gigordh, Gyygordh); Kavltved ( 1394 Kagylthweth); Klodske (1638 Klodskee); Uslev (1498 Wrssløff); Højtved ( 1638 Høytved); Krøgholt (1662 Krogholt); Skovsmose (1638 Skousmus); Karlsminde (earlier name Knavre, 1638 Knaffver); Skeen Møllegård ( 1662 Schien Mølle) .
Listed prehistorics: Southeast of Mygdal Church a long dolmen with several edge stones; 6 hills of which two are the only preserved from the 6 Bavnehøje south of Odden.
Demolished or destroyed: The large Skovsmose round dolmen and a round dolmen at Dalsgårde. 36 hills most in the southwestern hilly part of the parish , and a long hill.
At the farm Højtved was examined a burial site with earth graves from dyssetid, (3900-3400 bc) Here were found several small richly decorated cups. Iron Age burial sites are known from Kobberholt, Hoven and Skeen Mølle.
Source: Trap Danmark, Hjørring amt, 1960; Niels Peter Stilling, Danmarks kirker , 2000.
photo Odden June 2003: grethe bachmann