Monday, October 31, 2011

Ølst church / Ølst kirke, Galten herred, Randers amt


The church in Ølst is an ashlar building with a Romanesque choir and nave upon a bevel plinth -  and an added porch on the south side. In the northern side-wall of the choir is kept a bricked-up Romanesque window; two Romanesque windows on the northside of the nave are still in function. The original doors of the nave are still kept, the north door bricked-up, both with frames of monolits and column strips. In the lintel of the south door is carved a loop decoration. The porch is built in small, red bricks, probably in the 1700; the gable peak was rewalled in 1857. The church was restored in 1867.
Chessboard upon the outside wall. 

The walled communion table has upon the front a copy of the Romanesque golden altar, known by the name "Ølstalteret", made in beaten and gilt copper, later inserted in a Renaissance altarpiece and now at the National Museum. A later altarpiece had a biblical painting from 1896. Altar candelabres from 1586 with coat of arms, given by Niels Jensen (Viffert) of Torstedlund; a limestone font, a Gotland work with animal figures and masks upon an octagonal basin. A south German baptismal bowl from ab. 1575. Pulpit from the late 1800s, same type as in Værum church. A medieval bell without inscription.

Brusgård belonged in 1393 and 1398 to Christiern Jensen, from 1408 hr. Niels Munk (Bjælke-M.) of Sostrup (+ ab. 1460),  his son Anders Munk (+ 1504), his son Niels Munk (+ before 1515) and then the sister Maren Munk, m. to Mikkel Krabbe (of Østergård) of Tandrup. After their death B. was probably shared between the children. Lucas Krabbe is written to it 1580, while Anne Krabbe (+ 1564) brought her part to Jon Madsen (Viffert) of Torstedlund (+ 1560). Their son Niels Jonsen (Viffert) died unmarried 1595, and B. came with Torstedlund to the cousin Niels Krabbe (+ 1626), who in 1618 conveyed B. to statholder Jens Juel of Kjeldgård (+ 1634). It was in 1638 owned by his daughter Elsebe Juel, m. to Ove Juul ( + 1644), whose son-in-law Rudolf v. Offenberg in 1675 is written to B., but in 1678 has Marie Worm, widow after kommissær Peder Lassen, pawn in the farm, and in 1679 conveyed Elsebe Juel B. to her. Marie Worm married in 1680 general Matthias Numsen of Saltø, enobled in 1688, and they sold 1695 B.with taxes and estate to colonel Holger Rosenkrantz (+ 1704); it came to his widow Anne Brahe (+ 1722) and son Niels Rosenkrantz  (+ 1746), who in 1744 sold B. to grev Conrad Ditlev Reventlow (+ 1750), who placed B. under the entailed estate Frisenvold.

Later owners: Hans Jordhøj and skovrider Ulrik Thomsen Jæger; baron Jens Krag-Juel-Vind of Juellinge; S. Søndergaard; C.E.Bay, Rasmus Faurschou; J.P. Hansen; Alfred Hansen;  statshusmandsbrug + hovedparcel Kaj Brødsgaard: owner from 1930 V. Sørensen.

Eriksborg is a parcel from Brusgård. from the 1800s.
Havgård is a small parcel from Brusgård from the 1800s, was named Birkeholm. 

Hr. Stig Andersen (Hvide) conveyed in 1342 among other property his estate in Ølst to his brother Uffe Andersen (Hvide). Jomfruklosteret in Randers sold in 1355 estate in Ølst to Hans Pedersen, and his widow Bodil bought in 1361 all the estate of Essenbæk kloster in the parish.

At Brusgård was the village Ugelvore (1354 Vgæluuor) disappeared in the 1400s. In this village was Vestergård (ab. 1400 Westhergaardt). In the parish were some houses Agerhuse (1637 Aggerhus), still mentioned in the late 1700s,  and the farms Hedegård (1607 Hiey gaardt) at Brusgård , abandoned in the 1600s., and Komgård ( 1679 Kombgaar).

A little downside Teglgård at Askildrup hede (heath) was in the Middle Ages a church where were found several granite ashlars. The name Askildrup kirke is not known, it is possibly a church named Hinge kirke .

No listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were three hills.

In a ditch-digging at Ølst were in 1852 found 105 coins from king Erik Klippings time, put down ab. 1284.
By digging a field at Teglgård -  where according to legend was a church (see above)  -  were in 1846 found 868 coins from king Erik Menved -  king Christoffer II's time, put down ab. 1328.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Ølst (1342 Ølstæth); Askildrup (1398 Aschilstrup, 1453 Askildrvp); Robdrup (1468 Ruptrvp); Trustrup (1398 Truustrup); Ginnerup (1460 Ginderup); Mikkelstrup (1425 Michelstrup, -trop); Brusgård (1393 Bruusgaard); Teglgård (1618 Theiggelgaardt).

Source. Trap Danmark, 1963

photo 24 September  2011: grethe bachmann

Friday, October 21, 2011

Vivild church / Vivild kirke, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt

Vivild church, Djursland,ab. 24 km east of Randers
The large church in Vivild has a choir and a nave, a tower to the west and a porch to the north. The choir and nave are Romanesque, built in pretty carved granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth. Both doors and three windows to the north and one to the east are kept. The south door and windows are bricked up. In the Gothic period were in the choir built two and in the nave three bays of cross vaults, and the choir arch was changed into a pointed arch. The tower is also from the Gothic period like the porch. The tower has a pyramid roof. It is built in granite ashlars and monk bricks, the vaulted tower room has a pointed arch towards the nave. The large porch in monk bricks is built in two stages. The original building from the late Middle Ages is enheightended with an upper storey and has got a glare gable. The church is roofed with lead; it now stands with blank ashlars and whitewashed brickwalls. In 1952-53 was a restoration, and some frescoes were found, partly late Gothic ( on the vaults) the latest frescoes with biblical motifs were wellkept, but in spite of this they were whitewashed again.

Vivild church. Did you ever see a cross-eyed church?

The walled communion table in granite ashlars has a reliquary, which was examined by the bishop of the district in 1953. The altarpiece in Rococo from ab. 1700 with name and coat of arms of colonel Hans Friis. The original painting was replaced in the middle field in 1953. The altar candelabres were given in 1588 by Niels Skram and fru Kirsten Rosenkrantz. A Romanesque granite font with lion figures and leaf decorations. A baptismal bowl from 1500s. A Baroque pulpit with a sounding board from 1662, given by Clemen Jensen in Nielstrupgård and parish clerk Rasmus Sørensen ( acc. to epitaph).  The upper pews in each side have the coat of arms of Niels Skram and Kirsten Rosenkrantz. The rest of the pews are new. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix  in the nave. In the tower arch a church ship from ab. 1720. Three large ore chandeliers from 1924. The bell was re-cast in 1850 by Meilstrup in Randers. In the nave a large carved epitaph with portrait-paintings placed in 1664 for Clemen Jensen in Nielstrupgård  (+ 1677) and wife Bodil Andersdatter (+ 1672) and parish clerk Rasmus Sørensen (+ 1679) and wife Else Jensdatter (+ 1669). Furthermore a painted and gilt memorial tablet in sandstone with portrait relief of  colonel Chr. Friis of Hevringholm (+ 1727). Above the stone was earlier placed 4 mourning-banners with coat of arms of the families Friis, Vittrup, Urne and Lindenov and the year 1727; according to his own wish he was buried in a hill on the church yard, where a large stone is placed on the grave. In the northern wala of the choir a painted and gilt gravestone with portrait reliefs of the brothers Jørgen Rosenkrantz (+ 1551), Erik R. (+ 1561) and Peder R. ( + 1570), all of Hevringholm. Their bodies were acc. to Pont. Atlas buried in a burial cellar under the choir, where was found a burial chamber in 1952 with the rests of three coffins. A Baroque gravestone with name Otte Lauridsen by the southern wall of the church. In the tower arch is walled-in a Romanesque gravestone with a cross.

Chessboard outside on church wall. 

Hevringholm is the entailed estate of the family Rosenkrantz. Rigsråd Niels Iversen is written to H.  1377-1407, and hr. Niels Jensen is in 1411 written to the farm, which later went to his three sons, hofmester hr. Otte Nielsen of Bjørnholm (+ 1477), hr. Timme Nielsen of Engelsholm (+ ab. 1455) and hr. Anders Nielsen, called Stygge (he still lived 1478). The last mentioned bought in 1466 Otte Nielsen's part of the farm, his son Ejler Stygge (Rosenkrantz) inherited H. and died ab. 1535,  and his children Stygge, Christoffer, Erik, Peder, Jørgen and Berete inherited.  Jørgen Rosenkrantz died in 1551, and the other children bought a broderlod ( each a part) of the farm the same year from their cousin Sidsel Timmesdatter (Rosenkrantz), widow after rigsråd Erik Krummedige. In an exchange among the siblings in 1552 H. went to Erik Rosenkrantz, who died in 1561 without leaving heirs. H. then came to his brother Peder Rosenkrantz (+ 1570) , then to the brother Stygge Rosenkrantz (+ 1571), whose daughter Kirsten (+ 1597) in 1582 brought H. to her husband Niels Skram of Urup (+ 1601). Their daughter Elsebe Skram, m. to Esge Bille of Svanholm, sold in 1608 H. to Esge Brok of Estrup (+ 1625). H. came to his youngest daughter Elisabeth Brok, m. to Frands Lykke of Overgård  ( +1655), who in 1643 got birkeret (judicial rights) of the farm.

Vivild church. Time for the tortoiseshell to find a warm spot.

Their son was the famous Kaj Lykke, who had his estate taken from him by law in 1661; the king out-parcelled H.'s estate, but the owners of the farm should have the right to release it. In 1664 the king exchanged H. to Oluf Daa, who in 1666 laid H. out to his three sons as their maternal inheritance instead of Eskebjerg (Scheelenborg) at Funen which he had sold. A year after they sold H. to colonel Hans Friis (of Haraldskær); their father opposed to the sale, but the supreme court gave the three sons accept. Hans Friis established an entailed estate, which he in 1695 transferred together with Essenbæk ladegård to his brother's son colonel Christian Friis, who after his brother Gregers Friis' death in 1711 inherited Tustrup, and in order to obey his uncle's will he laid in 1726 Tustrup and Essenbæk ladegård under the entailed estate. After his death in 1727 H. went to his father's brother's daughter's son generalløjtnant Christian Rantzau- Friis, who died childless. His death in 1731 started a long feud between the families Below and Beck. H came to oberstløjtnant Joakim Beck, who after this called himself Beck-Friis (+ 1762). His son grev Joakim Beck-Friis was in 1782 allowed to sell the entailed estate and sold it in 1783 by auction to Laurids Sørensen of Hevring mill.

Later owners: Peter Severin Fønss of Løvenholm, Aalborg hospitalsdirektion; Mogens Chr. Kjeldsen, Christian M. Kjeldsen,  W.C. Olesen;  P. Knudsen; L. C. Rasmussen; P. Arkner .In 1946 sold to J. Balling.

Julianeholm is a parcel of Hevringholm, established by Peter Severin Fønns of Løvenholm. 

The væbner Jes (or Niels) Christiernsen of Nielstrup is mentioned 1485-1511. In 1543 N. belonged to fru Karen, later to Christoffer Lunov of Rygård (ab. 1580-1607), then Esge Bille of Hevringholm, with which it by Kaj Lykke's fall came to mayor Caspar Eggers in Køge in 1686, who sold it and N. Mill to grev Christian Rantzau of Gjesingholm (now Løvenholm), who in 1663 laid it to Gjesingholm birk ( judicial district). In 1716 it was resided by birkedommer Th. Hørup.

In the parish was the village Vådkær (1420 Wodekier) with 6 farms. It was abandoned before 1660, and its land came under Hevringholm. The abandoned main farm Nielstrupgård (1394 Niilstrupgaardt) was possibly a rest of a village Nielstrup. In 1688 is in the parish mentioned a farm called I Hulen (In the Cave).

Names from the Middle Ages:

Vivild (1420 Viuild, 1450 Wewildh); Lystrup (1426 Liwerstorp, 1450 Lywelstrvp); Nielstrup (1420 Nielstorp); Hevringholm (1397 Hefringeholm).
Listed prehistorics: North of Lystrup a large but somewhat out-digged Tushøj ; east of Vivild at the country road the rather large Tvillinghøje and a longhill, all in a public park.
Destroyed or demolished: a round dolmen, a passage grave and 38 hills.

Early Roman burial sites are examined by Vivild and Lille Sorvad.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo 24 September 2011: grethe bachmann

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Løgismose and Hårby church / Hårby kirke, Båg herred, Odense amt.

Løgismose, 12 km northwest of Fåborg.

Løgismose was in the beginning of the 1300s owned by the three "brothers" Jens Ingildsen Revel, Peder Rytze and Vogn Nielsen. The last mentioned seems to have connnection to the Sønderjylland family Jul. Løgismose was shared among them , when it is mentioned the first time, and through the centuries it was maybe more than any other main farm divided and only collected now and then for a shorter time. In 1333 Peder Rytze bought from Jens Revel the share in L., which he had inherited from Vogn Nielsen, Jens Revel's own share was inherited by his daughter Sophie Revel (+ earliest 1404), who by marriage brought it to Jep Abildgaard ( + earliest 1438), who in 1387 pawned it to væbner Jens Pedersen (Panter) of "Høgerup" ( + 1417).

Other owners of L. in the late 1300s were members of the families Krummedige, Sested (Sehestedt) and Jul of Sønderjylland. Erik Krummedige owned a part, and in 1392 his sister fru Elsebe Krummedige's husband Henrik Split gave him this share besides the share which was hers. Also Erik Krummedige's brother (father?) Segebod Krummedige ( + latest 1397) owned a share, which was inherited by the daughter Mette Segebodsdatter Krummedige, who 1. time was married to one from the family Jul, the second time to Hartvig Ottosen Sested. Her share was inherited by the sons of 1. marriage Iver (+ earliest 1421), Troels ( + earliest 1401) and Thomas Jul  (+ between 1438-47) and her sons-in-law, mayor in Flensborg Sivert Krok, mayor in Flensborg Henrik Vrese (Friis) and citizen in Ribe Thetmar von Gatmer, called Blow (Blue). Parts of L. went to her sons of 2. marriage, Poppe and Reimer Hartvigsen Sested and the daughter Gisele Hartvigsdatter Sested. The last mentioned was married to Jep Wilsen (Ferke) who bought the ownerships from his brothers-in-law Poppe and Reimer.

In 1396 and 1405 is also mentioned high court judge in Funen hr. Niels Pedersen (Panter?) and in 1396 hr. Jens Andersen (Panter?) together with  Jens Pedersen (Panter) of L. The last mentioned bought in 1401 the shares of Iver Jul and his siblings and brothers-in-law, and in 1408 he got from Jep Wilsen his shares as a pawn. At his death in1417 he probably owned all of L. His widow of 2. marriage, Grethe Henriksdattter Brockdorff  (+ between 1441-50), and the son Peder Jensen (Panter) got by the exchange a third of L., while two thirds went to the son's son Laurids Lauridsen (Panter), ( + as child), whose mother Mette Pedersdatter (Present)( + latest 1457) inherited him and in 1432 by new marriage brought her part in L. to Eiler Hardenberg and later by her 3. marriage to rigsråd hr. Engelbrecht Bydelsbak (+ 1490) of Torbenfeld  (+ ab. 1493). Latest from 1470 her son-in-law, væbner and later rigsråd Claus Bryske (+ earliest 1506) , m. to Grete Engelbrechtsdatter Bydelsbak (+ 1490), was written to L. , but not until 1475 came the exchange after Mette Pedersdatter (Present) and her 2 late children Johan and Kirsten. At this point L. with Nellemose and all estate went to her son of 3. marriage hr. Albrecth Engelbrechtsen Bydelsbak (+ latest 1493).

Supposedly went a share of L. to fru Mette Bertelsdatter Tinhuus  (+ earliest 1500), widow after hr. Joachim Hardenberg ( + between 1469-75), Mette Pedersdatter's son of 2. marriage, on behalf of her children. This is not quite sure. Something indicates that hr. Albrecht Engelbrechtsen got all of L. In 1479-88  is Claus Bryske written to L. again, but after hr. Albrecht's death L. went to his daughter Mette Albrechtsdatter Bydelsbak  (+ 1513), who by marriage brought it to the later rigshofmester hr. Mogens Gøye of Krenkerup (+ 1544). After him L. was inherited by the daughters Mette Gøye, m. to hr. Johan Oxe of Nielstrup (+ 1534), Eline Gøye, 1. time m. to hr. Mourids Olufsen Krognos (+ 1550), 2. time to Vincents Juel (+ 1579), and Pernille Gøye (+ 1552), in 1539 2. time m. to rigsråd Børge Trolle of Lillø (+ 1571). Johan Oxe's part was inherited by his sons, hr. Peder Oxe of Gisselfeld  (+ 1575) and Eskild Oxe (+ 1563), but also by the daughters Inger (+ 1591) and Sidsel Oxe (+ 1593), of whom the last mentioned in 1590 bought her sister's share. Peder Oxe gave in 1567 his share as a morning gift to his wife-to- be, fru Mette Olufsdatter Rosenkrantz of Vallø
(+ 1588).  It seems that Sidsel Oxe was the main owner in the beginning of the 1590s, and her share was inherited by her sister Pernille's son Johan Rud of Møgelkjær (+ 1609) and her daughter's children Otto Banner ( + 1625) and Mette Banner (+ 1614),  1. time m. to Erik Bille of Rønnovsholm (+ 1600), 2. time to Jørgen Kaas.

Owners in the 1600s: Family Bille, Bryske, Urne, Skinkel, Rosenkrantz. In the 1700s: Family Trampe. In the 1800s several  various owners. In 1955 was L. owned by S.P. and E. Korshøj. 

Løgismose has developed from import of French quality wines direct from the wine farmers into a food-house of international class. Løgismose is the part of a family community( the family Grønlykke), managing Falsled Kro, restaurant Kong Hans Kælder, Løgismose Vinimport and Løgismose Mejeri (dairy) - known for its cheese and oysters.
beach at Løgismose

Hårby Church, Båg herred, Odense amt. 
ab. 5 km north of Løgismose
The church's Romanesque part, choir and nave, are built in raw granite boulder with corner ashlars upon a double plinth.From late Gothic period are the extension of the choir, the cross vaults of the choir and the nave, a chapel on the north side of the nave and a western tower; the chapel is extended to the north by a porch, probably in 1856. The heavy tower has a vaulted bottom room, a pointed arch to the nave and a stairhouse to the south .

The altarpiece (structure)  is neo Gothic with a contemporary painting. At the sides four apostle-figures in plaster. Chalice and desk from 1661 with the coat of arms of Anders Bille and Sophie Rosenkrantz. A wafer-box (Sophia Hedevig Trampe). Altar candelabres, probably contemporary to the altar. A modern stone font with a bowl from 1570, initials O B D R  and coat of arms for Oxe ? and Rud. The pulpit with relief-carved year 1618. Newer pews, chandeliers, organ and gallery to the west. A strong ironbound money block with special lock from the 1600s. New church ship "Hellig Olav". Bells 1) 1819, cast by I. C. Gamst. Kbhvn.  2) 1875, by B Løw and son, Kbhvn.

In the tower room a grave chapel for the family Trampe, with a pretty cast iron grating. Inside the chapel three large black marble sarcophagus with white marble decoration. In a walled burial cellar below the choir, which belonged to Anders Bille and his descendants, who gave it to Odense Jomfrukloster, is now only the burial of Anders Bille in a new coffin from 1943. The other coffins were buried in the church yard, and several coffin plates and decorations were placed on the wall  in the porch, next to others. Also gravestones in the porch from the 1600s (Urne, Bille etc). 

beach at Løgismose

In the parish was a main farm Højsgård (1425 Høgs Gaard), which in the late 1500s belonged to fru Mette Urne (+ 1612), m. to captain Alexander Durham (+ 1600). In 1609 and 1627 it belonged to her sister's daughter jomfru Pernille Lykke of Klingstrup (+ 1634). In 1635 it was owned by rigsadmiral Claus Daa of Ravnstrup, who wished to exchange it to the Crown in return for jus patronus of Fraugde church. The exchange seems not to have happened, since he in 1639 sold H. to Anders Bille (+ 1657), who in 1649 wrote himself of H. and Løgismose, to which he transferred it. Still in the middle of the 1800s were ruins on the land of Ballegården. A mill belonged to the farm, it was in 1521 named Høgisgaardts mølle.      

Listed prehistorics:  At Strandby a dolmen chamber with a cover stone and a rather large butsomewhat outdigged hill Nålehøj. 
Demolished: At Strandby two dolmens and the hills Hagenhøj, Humlehøj and Skråhøj, where were found bronze objects; at Sarup 5 hills.

Small settlements from late Stone Age are known from Maden and Sarup. From Sarup origins a late Bronze Age treasure-find with 6 bracelets, 8 buttons, knife etc. At Hårby was found a brandgrav (burnt grave) from early Roman Iron Age.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Hårby (1386 Harby); Akkerup (1425 Askendorp, 1504 Accroppe); Sarup (1404 Sarup); Strandby (1425 Strandby); Nældemose (1475 Noldemose, 1492 Nedlæmose); Løgismose (1333 Løuitz mosse, 1390 Louesmose);  Filstrup (1521 Fielstrup gard); Ellegård (1500s Ellegaardt).

Source: Trap Danmark, Odense amt, 1956.

photo 1999: grethe bachmann.

Dreslette church / Dreslette kirke, Båg herred, Odense amt.

Dreslette church, 10 km southeast of Assens

From the original ashlar church building in Dreslette, apse, choir and nave is preserved only the last mentioned, built upon a profiled double plinth; a south window and both doors are traceable, and from one of those is a re-used thympanon in a churchyard portal ; the thympanon has a relief with three persons. From the loft-room is visible that the west gable - which possibly was rebuilt in Roman time - is bipartite by two flatcurved niches, each with a little round-arched window. The curved, but probably extended triumph arch has profiled  kragbånd. The present choir with  a glare gable and two contemporary cross vaults with profiled ribs is probably from the 1300s, while the three cross vaults of the nave and a chapel on its south side is from the 1400s. To the west was a late Gothic tower and a porch in front of the south door of the nave, both demolished in 1785, but known from a painting (at Fensmark), which konferensråd Niels Ryberg let make, before he in 1785-87 carried through a large rebuild, which still marks the church completely. From this rebuild origins the present tower in three storeys with an iron- rail  surrounding a platform with a small building in the middle. The church yard is fenced by large boulder dikes and with several portals.

The inventory in the church origins mainly from the rebuild in 1785-87. The altarpiece, which is built together with the organ, the whitepainted baptismal font with a Romanesque basin, the round pulpit and the whitepainted light-gilt pews with shell-gables create a pretty interior in neoclassisistic style. The earlier altarpiece was from 1611. Altar candelabres from 1625. Altar rail in cast iron, Empire. The font with a sounding board  is a Djursland type. The pulpit with a sounding board has a la Greque decoration; the pews have kept their doors, seats and backs. The old organ above the altarpiece is out of use;  a new organ from the beginning of the 1900s upon a contemporary west gallery. A money block in iron with R. B. 1792. Bells: 1) 1693, cast by "Baltzer Melchior"  2) 1849 by H. Gamst and H.C. Lund, Kbhvn. -  In the church are several grave memorials. Outside a grave chapel for family Ryberg, Falbe. Memorials on the church yard from 1700s and 1800s.

Flenstofte is mentioned the first time in 1295. Later, probably between 1330-1357; it belonged to the Holstein grafs. In the second half of the 1400s it was owned by hr. Johan Hwitkop (Krummedige)(+ earliest 1493), who sold it together with Sandholt and other estate to rigshofmester Poul Laxmand (+ 1502), after whose death it together with his other property was taken by the Crown, which endowed it, first to the vasal on Hindsgavl Gjord Nielsen (Drefeld) (+ 1520), who was married to Poul Laxmand's widow Kirsten Eriksdatter Banner, and then in 1521-27 to hr. Johan Bjørnsen (Bjørn)(+ 1534).  It seems that F. at that time was only a peasant-farm, in 1527 resided by Per Hansen. The same year a part of Poul Laxmand's estate, also F., was given back to his children Peder Laxmand (+ latest 1532) and Else Laxmand (+ 1546), widow after Abraham Eriksen (Gyldenstierne)( + 1514). After her death the estate went to Peder Laxmand's widow Beate Pedersdatter Pors (+ earliest 1547) and her sons Poul (+ 1557) and Erik Laxmand. Poul Laxmand's widow Thale Holgersdatter Ulfstand (+ 1604) seems to have owned F. until her death. Jacob Madsen's visitatsbog (a priest-book) mentions her as owner in 1589. In 1648 was F. owned by kancellisekretær Corfitz Rosenkrantz (+ 1653), who from a peasant farm again made it into a main farm by adding 4 common farms. In 1652 he sold F. with 6 common farms and some houses to rigsmarsk Anders Bille of Damsbo (+ 1657), who also owned Løgismose, with which F. was joined until 1797, when grev Trampe sold F. and estate to manager at Hvidkilde, Rasmus Rasmussen, who in 1799 sold it to agent later etatsråd Johan Chr. Ryberg (+ 1832). Later owners: Damsboe, Beck. Owner in 1956 was Carl C. Branth.

Sommersholm was in 1490 and ab. 1500 resided by Jesper, probably a peasant. In 1572 fru Thale Holgersdatter Ulfstand had a feud with fru Ide Norby, widow after Bild Nielsen (Kruckow) about S., which king Hans had sold to Jacob Norby, why it later was given to fru Ide. In 1614 it belonged to fru Karen Skram, in 1635 to the vasal at Hagenskov hr. Jørgen Brahe of Hvedholm, who between 1636 and 1639 exchanged it to the Crown, which placed it under Hagenskov vasalry, but in 1665 it was exchanged to amtmand Niels Banner (+ 1670), whose son Chr. Banner's (+ 1693) widow Mette Arendsdatter von der Kuhla  (+ 1709) in 1707 sold generalmajor Frantz Joachim von Dewitz of Frederiksgave and Hindsgavl (+ 1719).

Listed prehistorics: West of Dreslette a dolmen chamber with two cover stones, at Flenstofte the long dolmen Vielandshøj with two chambers, one with a cover stone, at Snave a dolmen chamber with a large cover stone and a hill, in the forest Smørhaven a rest of a round dolmen and a hill; close to the beach in Nældemose Skovhave a dolmen chamber without cover stone.
Demolished: 14 hills, of which 9 were at Flenstofte mark (field).

From Strærup is a grave-find from late Bronze Age with arm ring and needle in gold etc.; two later Bronze Age's finds come from the parish. (from Sommersholm and the moor Dammet).

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Dreslette (1345 ? Dreslette 1420 Dreyslæte); Brydegård (1484 Brydegaard); Snave (1484 Snabe); Skårup 1345? Skorrup, 1475 Skorderopp); Strærup (1397 Stædorp, 1425 Stræthurp); Mullerød (1475 Mwlrwdh); Brunshuse (1688 Brunbierg Huss) Agernæs (ab.1425 Aghernes); Flenstofte (1295 Flænstoftæ); Ørbæk (1475 Ørebech); Nørregård (1396 Nørrægorde); Sommersholm (1490 Simmersholm, ab. 1500 Semmerzholm, Sømersholm, 1639 Sommersholmb).

Source: Trap Danmark, Odense amt, 1956.

photo 1999: grethe bachmann

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Asperup church / Asperup kirke, Vends herred, Odense amt.

Asperup church, 10 km east of Middelfart

 Asperup Church was in the Catholic period consegrated to Our Lady. It was originally a Romanesque ashlar church with nave and a choir with apse, built upon a profiled couble plinth. In the north wall are traces of two Romanesque windows. In the late Middle Ages was the choir-bending demolished, and the choir was extended to the east in monk bricks where were also used granite ashlars from the down-broken eastern gable. The choir extension - in which was built an octagonal rib vault -  got the same broadth as the nave, but the old choir's flank-walls were unusually retained, and the western part of the choir is more narrow than the eastern. The new choir gable was decorated with glares and a stair-gable. The big flat-curved eastern window was later bricked up. In the north wall is a double point-arched hiding-niche. In the late Gothic period the western bay of the choir was overvaulted and the choir arch was extended. The nave got two bays of cross vaults. The large west tower and the porch to the south are late Gothic additions, both built in monk bricks with a few ashlars in the wall. A stair house to the south of tower. The high vaulted bottom room of the tower is connected to the nave in a broad pointed arch. In present time was placed heavy supporting pillars at the north side of the nave.

The walled late Gothic communion table has got Renaissance panels;  three original by Knud Snedker from ab. 1580, the rest copied in modern time. The altarpiece is a richly carved bruskbarok-work. from ab. 1650 by Anders Mortensen. In the top piece is inserted a late Gothic crucifixion relief, probably from the altarpiece from 1589. In the middle field an oil painting, a copy after a painting by A. Dorph. Ore-cast candelabres from ab. 1650. A choir-panel with a priest-stool-door from 1641. The Romanesque granite font has a cylindric basin with achantus-vines and relief-carved monsters on the square foot-piece. A large brass baptismal bowl, a south German work from the 1500s with a later engraved year 1618. Above the font - which is placed in a walled portal-niche in Baroque style by the northside of the choir-extension - hangs a Holy Spirit-dove, probably from a Renaissance sounding board. The pulpit from 1580 is a signed work by "Knud Snedeker Baarger i Melfaar", but it was changed in the middle of the 1600s by placing the reliefs and figures of Anders Mortensen, so there is nothing left from Knud Snedker but the door of the pulpit. Sounding board in high Renaissance and a backpanel with simple paintings from the 1700s. Upon the wall of the nave a magnificent late Gothic crucifix-group by Claus Berg in Odense from ab. 1510-1520. The organ-gallery contains parts from a Renaissance gallery. In the choir a large chandelier from the 1600s. At the door an iron-bound "poor man's block". A pretty iron-bound oak door from 1513 by Anders Smed. In the tower room a Madonna- relief from the 1300s and a late Gothic figure, an image of Anna selvtredie. The two church bells are cast by Mathias Bennig in Lübeck 1596 and 1598. In 1589 the church had besides the two large bells also two small mass bells above the choir in "a pretty little spire". 

In Asperup was in the Middle Ages a main farm, which together with several other farms in the parish was conveyed in 1461 to hr. Eggert Frille by bishop in Ribe Henrik Stangeberg.

The Danes had a fortificated place upon Skodshøj during the Swedish war. In Båring skov ("Tokelun")  was found wall work,which according to a legend belongs to a Røverborg (robber's castle).  

Ab. 1450 were in Asperup mentioned the farms Ellegard and Hiortholm, in Båring in 1461 Westersgard and in 1489 in Kærby a house called Røtz toffth. On Båring mark (field) was probably a village Bolby, which is seen in the field-names Boel Bye Riis, .- Bech, - Rue, mentioned in 1682. A field.- name 1682 Tharup Kaars on Kærby Søndermark might suggest that a village Tarup was placed south of Kærby.

Listed prehistorics: a hill close to the beach east of Båring skov.
Demolished. a round dolmen, a stone grave, a stone cist, 8 hills.

village house, Asperup

In the parish, especially by Båring, are several settlements from  late Stone At Vedels have were found several affaldsgruber (waste pits) from Celtic Iron Age. Urn grave sites from Iron Age are known from Jensbjerg south of Asperup and at Båring skov.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Asperup (1423 Aspedorp); Båring (1446 Baringe, Boringe); Kærby (ab. 1350 Kerby); Ringstedgård (1500s Rinngstedth); Hedegård (1547 Hede); Risumgård (1465 Ryswm); Risumlund (1546 Risomlundt).

Source: Trap Danmark Odense amt, 1956. 
photo 2004: grethe bachmann