Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hjorthede church/ Hjorthede kirke, Middelsom herred, Viborg amt.

Hjorthede church, ab. 17 km east of Viborg.



















Hjorthede parish, Middelsom herred, Viborg amt.


Hjorthede church is a Romanesque boulder building with choir and nave and a porch to the south, which was rebuilt in 1883. The choir and the eastern section of the nave are in ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. The western section of the nave is in raw field stones. Both original doors with smooth boulder frames are kept. The north door is bricked-up. Upon the northside trace of two Romanesque windows. The triangle gable of the choir was later taken down and rebuilt in bricks, like the western gable of the nave in present time was rebricked from the basis. Inside the church is a beamed ceilin, the choir arch with profiled kragsten is kept.


Upon the bricked communion table stands a late Renaissance altarpiece with carved year 1623,  in two storeys, where the main field has Baroque-looking sidewings with openwork arcades. The top piece, which is sawed off, shows that the altarpiece must be made for another church room - it was said to come here to Hjorthede ab. 1770 from Ulstrup castle chapel (with rests of coat of arms for Kaas and Skeel). In the main field a newer copy of a C. Bloch-painting. A Romanesque granite font. A simple pulpit, probably from the late 1800s. Between nave and porch is an iron bound door wing. In the south wall of the porch is inserted a gravestone in granite for Peder Sørensen, died at Himmestrup in 1721. In the choir inserted two large gravestones, brought up in 1955 from the floor of the nave, for Povl Sørensen in Ulstrup (+ 1610), and for Chresten Sørensen (+ 1649). The bell is in a bell frame at the church yard, it has a minuskel inscription and   was cast 1473. (New decorations see below)


Kællinghøl,  in the 1500s and 1600s was also called Hølingsholm,was earlier a main farm. In 1486 it was owned by Henning Hansen, later by the brothers Erik and Ove Hase, the last mentioned's son Elef Hase sold in 1501 his inherited part in K. to hr. Erik Ottesen Rosenkrantz of Skjern. His daughter's son rigsråd Knud Rud (+ 1554), owned it in 1524; in 1557 it belonged to his daughter Kirsten Rud (+ 1612). She was married 1) to Jørgen Skeel of Jungetgård (died here in 1555); 2) married to Laurids Rostrup of Ristrup. Her son Albert Skeel, executed in 1609, was married to Anne Kaas (Sparre-Kaas), maybe the farm came from her to her cousin Mogens Kaas of Støvring, who in 1624 sold it to hr. Jørgen Skeel of Ulstrup. K. was laid under Ulstrup, until Peter Gottlieb Koch in 1841 sold it to Christen Jørgensen, whose son Christen Christensen in 1860 took it over, and in ab. 1870 built the present buildings. His son Christen Jørgen Christensen (+ 1923) and his son Folmer Rud Christensen owned the farm later. (1962)

East of Kællinghøl at the northern edge of the meadow along Gudenaa river lies the considerable and wellkept castle bank Gravene  (= the Graves),which consists of two castle banks, one large slant square (about 40x60 m), upon which surface were found monk brick- foundations, and in its northeast corner and divided by a grave a lesser, almost circular bank. A big dam out towards the river valley did - before it was broken through - put the surroundings of the two banks under water. 
The buildings of the farm were supposedly placed upon the large bank, to which was access across a smaller bank, which held the buildings for protection of the access-road (a Castrum Curia-plan, probably from the late Middle Ages.

A sacred spring was found a little north of Hjorthede's easternest farm.

Listed prehistorics: a group of 4 hills in Hjermind skov.
Demolished or destroyed: two dolmens and 17 hills.

At Hjorthede was found the cut-off of the outer end of a reindeer antler, a witness that the reindeer hunters were hunting in the district. From Hjorthede origins a large sacrifice find from late Bronze Age with  3 three-double necklace-rings, 2 spiral-bracelets, a piece of a sword etc.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Hjorthede (1403 Hiorthiede, 1423 Hiorthhædhæ); Sønder Tulstrup (1664 Sønderthulstrup); Kællinghøl (1486 Kierlinghøøll); Sløvkrog (1683 Slof Krog, 1688 Sløfkrog Gaard.)

Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962   
photo: borrowed from Google Earth, 2013.



  















News about Hjorthede church. 
In 2000 an old coin was found on the church yard, a penning from Valdemar Sejr's rule , probably minted 1220. The church got in 2001 a church ship made by Ove Andreasen, Odense and given by Margrethe Nielsen.


Restoration and new decoration of the church 2008-2009, new colours and a new altar painting by the artist Anita Houvenaeghel. The altarpiece is the same.


Source: Hjorthede Borgerforening/website. 








Friday, March 29, 2013

Sejling church/ Sejling kirke, Hids herred, Viborg amt.


Sejling church, ab. 5 km north of Silkeborg


















Sejling parish, Hids herred, Viborg amt. 

The church in Sejling has a Romanesque choir and nave and a late Gothic western tower, which was rebuilt in 1782. The choir and nave are built in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. From original details is kept the south portal, which however has been moved to the western entrance of the tower, probably in the rebuild in 1782. The portal is flanked by two pair half columns with decorated capitals. The nave has a beamed ceiling, the choir an octagonal late Gothic rib vault. At the time of the vault building it seems that the choir arch was changed into a broad pointed arch, but it has since by "brick-out" been changed into a narrower flat round arch. The tower, which on the outer side has a facing wall in monk bricks above relocated ashlars from the west gable of the nave, has a lead roofed pyramid spire with a weather wing with initials of the church owner Jean A. Fischer of Allinggård and the year 1782. While the tower outside is marked by the rebuild in 1782, the inside of the bottom room and the middle storey have a medieval wallwork. From the tower room, which has a cross vault and functions as a porch, is a staircaise to the middle storey. At the same time as the rebuild of the tower the choir and nave got some profiled brick cornices, and the gable field of the choir was rebricked with monk bricks.


The altarpiece is Renaissance from 1613. In the big field is placed a small plaster copy of Thorvaldsen's Kristus. A chalice and a dish from 1782 made by goldsmith Chr. Pedersen Høvring in Randers. Large altar candelabres from the late 1800s. Two older altar candelabres in sheet brass with the initials of the giver and year 1704 were found at the loft of the church. A silver oblate box with the year 1682 was according to inscription  given to the church in 1719 by Anne Paulina Jegind. A wine jar in silver made by goldsmith Johan Mehl in Viborg and given to the churh in 1734 by parish priest Niels Henrichsen (+ 1748) and wife, whose gravestone with Evangelist reliefs is inserted in the north wall of the tower. A large Romanesque granite font in West Jutland type. Two baptismal dishes of South German work from the 1500s with carvings and the years 1650 and 1727. A pulpit in Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s with several small arcade decorations and column-divided bays and an entrance via the triumph wall, some of the carvings are copies made in the 1920s, and the pulpit was made larger. A newer sounding board. Closed pews in Renaissance type. Organ upon a gallery in the west end of the nave. Series pastorum in the nave. Bell from 1846, cast by Meilstrup in Randers.

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 6 hills.


Names from the Middle Ages: Sejling (1452 Seyling, 1508 Seylyng, Seylingh); Ebstrup (1508 Epstrop, Epstrvp); Elkær (1484 Vester Elkier, 1501 Elkier).

Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.


photo: borrowed from Google earth 2013

, gb




.   

,

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tapdrup church/ Tapdrup kirke, Nørlyng herred, Viborg amt.



Tapdrup church, ab. 5 km east of Viborg.


















Tapdrup parish, Nørlyng herred, Viborg amt. 

Tapdrup church is a Romanesque ashlar building, which refers to the building master school at Viborg cathedral. (see photo of Viborg cathedral below). The oldest section has choir with apse and nave, where a western gable joins a later built tower. The building rests upon a bevelled plinth. The wallwork of the northside was seemingly rebuilt in the 1500s and appears now in raw field stones, while the southside of the nave is partly rebuilt 1910-11. From original details is a kept a window in apse and the broad, magnificent south portal with triple arch form and free-standing columns. The similar flatcurved north portal is in its original place, but was re-bricked with monk bricks in the late Middle Ages and was then bricked-up. From late Gothic period origins the gable of the choir with bricked trappekamme ( steps)  and the tower, which at the bottom is built in re-used ashlars from the west gable and above in monk bricks, with steep gables north-south and which bottom room functions as a porch. a royal letter from 15 july 1549 which mentiones the repari of the church refers probably to the rebuild of the north wall. When the church much later, in 1902, got an organ, which gallery blocked the south door, the access to the church must have been placed at the tower room, which portal seemingly is from the period around the change of the century.

The apse has inside a halfcupolar vault, while choir and nave have a beamed ceiling, which in the 1700s was decorated with cloud formations. The Protestantic triptych was according to inscription given in 1613 by fru Berte Kaas, improved and decorated in 1702 by High Court Judge Hans Lange of Asmild; in the middle field a painting from the 1700s ( an earlier painting is now kept behind the altar). Upon the altar chalice are the initials of Hans Lange and wife Mette Mariche Broberg and the year 1693. Upon one of the late medieval altar candelabres is carved S. Nicolaus. In the choir is from wall to wall an altar railing from the 1700s, here is also a thurible from the 1200s.Most of the wooden inventory in the church is from 1788, carved in rural Rococo, like the pulpit, the font (with a sounding board) and the pews with doors and gables. The choir arch is extended with monk bricks, and above it hangs a late medieval crucifix. In the choir is a large and pretty gravestone for Frantz Iversen Dyre (+ 1569) and wife. In the closed cellar under the choir rests Corfitz Ulfeldt, killed in the battle at Kolbergheide 1644.


Skovsgård might be the farm by the same name, which in 1402 was owned by Johannes Eskildsen (Krumpen). Later it was probably owned by the væbner Stig Nielsen, who in 1479 wrote himself of Tapdrup, then by Frantz Iversen Dyre, who likewise wrote himself of S. and T. He died in 1569 at Dyreholm, which probably refers to the same farm. When his widow Kirsten Mogensdatter Kaas (Mur-Kaas) died childless after 1573, came S. to her brother's son Herman Kaas (+ ab. 1613), who in 1580 is written of "Thoberup", but in 1591 and several times later of S. His sons too are written of S.: Niels (1613), Christen (1613), Frantz (1613 and 1621) Eggert (1618) and Stalder Kaas 1621. In 1625 the farm belonged to Hans Lindenov's widow Else Juel (+ ab. 1627) and then to her brother's children, Hans and Anders lindenov in 1638, who were inherited by their mother, Else Thott, married 2. to Corfitz Ulfeldt (+ 1644). She left the farm to her sister, Margrethe Andersdatter Thott, from whom it at once in 1652 was sold to hr. Anders Bille as a pay of Else Thott's debt. He exchanged it in 1653 with some state to the Crown, from which it in 1672 was laid out to Villum Lange of Asmildkloster. In 1807 Henrik Muhle Hoff of Asmildkloster deeded it and 8 houses to C. F. Erhardi,  but in 1810 it was at an auction together with Tapdrup parish's church and half king's taxes sold to Chr.Kjelleup (+ 1819).

Later owners: Johannes Iver Bruun 1830; Th. Davidsen, E. Lund, 1841; J H Lytthans 1846; Joh. F. Petersen 1849; Thalbitzer 1857; H. Ch. Thalbitzer 1870; Nohr 1887; I. Jørgensen 1904; Harald de Neergaard 1917; P.D. Thomsen 1911.

Listed prehistorics: 9 hills, of which several are large: the two Rishøje west of and Store Mandshøj north of Tapdrup, Kokærhøj and a hill north east of the village, the two Kvathøje and Storhøj in Østerskov.   

In a moor in the Nørreådalen (river valley) were found 14 gold bracteats and 27 glass pearls.

Names from the Middle Ages: Tapdrup (1479 Tapptrvp); Thisted (1497 Thistedtt); Skovsgaard (1664 Schouffs Gaard); Spanggård (1664 Spang Gaard); Subæk Mølle (1664 Sulbech Mølle, 1683 Sulbechmølle, Surbech mølle).

 
Viborg cathedral


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.

photo: Tapdrup church, borrowed from Google earth, gb
photo: Viborg cathedral: grethe bachmann


Monday, March 25, 2013

Skals church / Skals kirke, Rinds herred, Viborg amt.

Skals church, ab. 10 km north of Viborg.

















Skals parish, Rinds herred, Viborg amt. 

Skals church has a Romanesque choir and nave with late Gothic additions: a tower to the west, a porch to the south and a cross arm to the north. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars upon a karnis-profiled plinth. Under the roof overhang are kept some strange wooden planks with carved round arch friezes. The rectangular side door is still in use while the north door is bricked-up. In the choir are kept three re-opened  arched windows with monolith-lintels and a couple of other lintels are inserted in the eastern dike of the church yard. West of the south window of the choir is inserted a picture ashlar with a male head, which reminds about the head upon the font. Choir and nave have beamed ceilings. and the choir arch (without kragsten)  is extended. The late Gothic west tower in re-used ashlar material and monk bricks has a vaulted bottom room and opens in an earlier bricked-up round arch towards the nave. Its walls are facing-walled
(on the southside are iron numbers A K K V 1737 - Andrea Kirstine Kjærulf), and it is finished by a leaden pyramid spire. The porch in monk bricks is without any special details, like the facing-walled cross arm to the north, which has a round arched arcade towards the nave and a beamed ceiling. The walls were very re-bricked in a thorough restoration in 1890 and 1900.

The altarpiece is a pretty joiner work in early Renaissance ab. 1580-1590, restored in 1923 and with a biblical painting from 1929. Altar chalice from the late 1600s with a stamp for Mikkel Jensen, Aalborg Candelabres 1618 with initials OL SK. A Romanesque, but very broken-up granite font with lion and deer and a male head and with probably later carved letters V L O P. A South German dish from ab. 1550. A simple pulpit from the 1600s. Pews from various periods 1) 1577 with the coat of arms of Otte Lunov and Inger Eriksdatter Blik; 2) 1608; 3) 1632. A bell without inscription, probably from the late 1500s. Gravestone for Margrete Søfrensdatter (+ 1735) with a lead plate.


Holmgård belonged in 1471-85 Stig Vesteni, in 1487 is mentioned Thames in H., in 1561 Otto Lunov (+ ab. 1583), in 1604 his son Laurids Lunov (+ before 1616), and in 1616-24 his son Otte Lunov. In 1638 it was owned by Sophie Brahe (+ 1659), widow after rigsmarsk Jørgen Lunge, then owned by Jens Juel of Frøslevgård, who in 1661 sold it to Manderup Due's (Taube) widow Anne Skeel (+ 1662). H. came to the son Jørgen Due (Taube) and in an exchange after him in 1683 to his brother Jørgen Skeel Due (Taube), who in 1696 sold the farm to dr. Frans Reenberg (+ 1727), who in 1715 sold it to kancelliråd Bent Jespersen (+ 1728).His widow Cathrine Winther had to do array, and H. came to Anders Kjærulf of Bjørnsholm (+ 1735), whose daughter Andrea Kirstine Kjærulf in 1747 married konferensråd Henrik Hjelmstierne, who in 1750 deeded it to generalmajor Christian Ditlev Lüttichau of Tjele. In 1755 it came to Thomas Lund of Slumstrup, who in 1756 sold it to Mathias Wassard from København (+ 1774), whose widow Elisabeth Cathrine Aagaard in 1784 sold H. to her son-in-law købmand Søren Sørensen in Hobro (+ 1814). In 1796 it was sold to Christen Friis of Halkær. He transferred his rights to the two High Court Judges Søren Gierulf and Peder Severin Fønss and to by- and herredsfoged Th. Wissing,who 1798 got a deed of H. and in 1799 sold H.and Skals sogn's (parish) 2 taxes and 2 farms to Ole C.S. Lottrup, who in 1826 sold it and the taxes to Århus stift (diocese), who in 1832 again deeded if to Ole Lottrup.
Later owners: Chr. F Jensen and Viggo Holstein-Rathlou; Emil Holstein-Rathlou; Carl Vilhelm Niels Borup, a konsortium and outparcelling.

Tyge Jensen of Skals is mentioned in 1365. Thomas Blok deeded in 1345 a farm at the same place to his brother Gunnulv Blok.

Skals was in 1440 and 1649 one of 12 canon praebendes (income) at Viborg cathedral. The Viborg chapter had besides at Skals å (river) some "kannikefiskeri" ( canon-fishing), which was rather important. 

From disappeared farms are mentioned in Skals Bloksgård (1529 Blocksgard), which was owned by Peder Block of Nørreby, and in Ejstrup Østergård (1470 Østergaardt), which in the late 1400s was in guardian by Anders Lounkær of Balle.

A sacred spring was found in a valley at Ejstrup.

Listed prehistorics: 8 hills
Demolished or destroyed:  4 passage graves, 3 hellekister ( stone cists) and 45 hills. The passage grave Stenshøj had a 5 1/2 m long chamber and in the upper layers were found 3 flint daggers, in the bottom layer a point necked axe (Stone Age) and several amber pearls. The two other passage graves Store Bondehøj and Klovenhøj contained flint daggers, the last mentioned also single grave clay pots. In the stone cist Hvilehøj were 3 flint daggers.


Southwest in the paris have been noted a couple of kitchen middens and upon a settlement in the skals river valley close to Holmgård were found a number of  tværpile. 
Close to Holmgård were also found two necklaces from Bronze Age and a gold treasure from German Iron Age with 6 bracteates, a pragt-bøjlenål ( a special magnificent jewel) and 28 glass pearls.

Names from the Middle Ages:Skals (1345 Skalnes, 1471 Skals); Skringstrup (1477 Skrængstrop); Ejstrup (1470 Estrup); Nørdam (1497 Nørredam); Holmgård (1471 Holmegaard).


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.    


photo: borrowed from Google earth, gb 2013.



   

     





Friday, March 22, 2013

Ørum church/Ørum kirke, Sønderlyng herred, Viborg amt.

Ørum church, ab. 11 km east of Viborg.

















Ørum parish, Sønderlyng herred, Viborg amt. 

The lead roofed church in Ørum (Sønderlyng herred) has a choir and nave from the Romanesque period and a later added tower to the west, a porch to the south and a sacristy in the extension of the choir, all additions are tiled. The Romanesque walls are built in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth, the walls are best kept on the north side of the choir and the nave and on the south side of the choir, likewise three Romanesque windows on the northside, one in the choir and two in the nave. The two portals are also kept, especially the bricked-up, unusually magnificent north portal with richly profiled kragbånd and with columns with carved birds on the capitals. The south door is straight edged. The Gothic shaped sacristy, which is built upon the place where the apse was built on Romanesque churches, has a square finish to the east. The late Gothic tower has glares upon the east gable. The white washed porch is probably from the Renaissance period. Inside the church is the Romanesque choir arch with kragsten kept, the tower room is cross vaulted and opens towards the nave in a round arch; nave and choir have beamed ceilings. The wallwork of the church was restored in 1885 and 1889.


Upon the large communion table stands a Renaissance altarpiece from ab. 1600-1620 with sidewings, top-piece and a triptychon main field with a biblical painting from the 1700s. The decoration (rest. in 1926) was given by Anders Kjærulf of Sødal (his and his wife's initials and year is seen on the altarpiece.) On the communion table also two altar candelabres, recast in 1753 and paid by Didrik Iversen of Sødal. A Romanesque granite font. A pulpit in Renaissance with carved year 1607, given acc. to inscription by parish priest Christen Jensen (Skive) and Jacob Jørgensen with ionic columns with decoration-bands and a contemporary sounding board. The pews are partly old, a carved year 1634 upon the backside of a stool-gable at the south door. Between nave and porch an old iron bound door wing with a robust locking mechanism.

Vestergård in Vels was in 1514-15 sold by Erik Hvas (of Ormstrup) and his sister Anne to bishop Erik Kaas.  

According to legend was once a castle upon an isolated natural bank a little east of Velds Mølle (mill). There are no traces. Just opposite lies Bårstenhøj (Viskum parish) south of the river valley.

Listed prehistorics: a passage grave at Hulbæk, where were found several pretty axes and chisels and amber pearls; a large hellekiste (stone cist) and 16 hills, of which Storehøj at Hulbæk and the two Månehøje at Velds are very large. 
Demolished or destroyed: a small passage grave, where were found two flint daggers -  and 49 hills. In a hill at Mollerup was a brandgrav( fire grave) from Celtic Iron Age with two silver cups, and in a hill at Velds a grave find from the Viking period with axe and riding gear.

Names from the Middle Ages: Ørum (1413 Ørum); Mollerup (1463 Mollerup); Velds (1461 Weltz, 1524 Welst, Velst, 1574 Vels); Hulbæk (1463 Holbek). 

GB


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.


photo: borrowed from Google Earth, gb






Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gullev church, Gullev kirke, Houlbjerg herred, Viborg amt.


Gullev church, ab. 20 km southeast of Viborg.


















Gullev parish, Houlbjerg herred, Viborg amt.

Gullev church has apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period and a late Gothic porch to the south. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth.the apse has a little blurred profiled cornice. Both original doors are kept, the south door, which is still in use, has a tynpanum with a carved figure of the crucified Christ, wearing a long robe. The bricked-up northdoor has kragsten and rundbuestik  (halfcircular band-decoration). Upon the north side of the nave and the choir are kept Romanesque windows with monolite-lintels, while the windows of the apse are partly re-newed. At the reformation period a porch in monk bricks with a round arched door was built in front of the south door -  a point arched "mirror" of the porch continues up into the roof gable, where it is flanked by two point arched glares. The inside of the church has a beamed ceiling, also the apse, where the original vault was taken down, while the choir arch with profiled kragbånd is kept. Above the western section of the nave was in 1769 built a beamed  ridge turret with pyramid spire.

The Romanesque communion table is in granite ashlars, and the elegant altarpiece is in late Baroque with Rococo-tendencies, made by Mathias Ulrichsen Sartz. The later made wings were acc. to tradition made by a village artist, Søren Mikkelsen. The painting in the large field is from the 1800s. Slender candlesticks from the Renaissance-period. A Romanesque granite font with double lions. A pulpit by the same master as the altarpiece and with a sounding board by the before mentioned village artist. In the porch two gravestones with figures, one from 1653 for Christen Christensen in Bøgeskov, the other probably for his son.



















Ove Jensen of Gullev is mentioned in 1329.

Else Mikkelsdatter Due of Torp, widow after Anders Munk (Bjælke-Munk) gave in 1505 Enggård in Gullev to Helligåndshuset in Randers, which prior in 1508 took guardian ship of the farm. It was by law given to Niels Lunov of Rugård, whose father Jesper Lunov (probably + 1498) had bought it from fru Karine Hinds (mentioned in 1479). In 1586 Niels Lunov's son Christoffer Lunov litigated about the farm.

There were  two sacred springs in the parish, Sct Hans kilde in the southeastern corner of the church yard, and a spring in Gullev hedebakker (heather hills).


Humstrup (1683 Humstrup (s) Fald) a name of a field in Gullev, must originally have been the name of a settlement. A farm in Gullev, named Gullevskov (1396 Gudløffskoff) was deeded by the "sisters" (nuns) Maren Christensdatter and Kirsten Olufsdatter of Tvilum kloster shortly before 1400.

Listed prehistorics: Kettinghøj in the parish border towards Sahl.
Demolished or destroyed: a longhill and 40 hills, in a hill at Gullev was found a house urn.

Along Gudenå river are several settlements from the Gudenå culture. In Flaskemosen (a moor) was found a depot from late Stone Age with 6 axes and 2 chisels. A decorated bronze axe was found at Bøgeskov and a bronze sword in Gudenå river.

Names from the Middle Ages: Gullev (1329 Gutteløff, 1355 Gutheslef); Bøgeskov (1415 Bøgeskouff); Nøddelund (1415 Nødelund).  

GB

    
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962. 


photo: borrowed from Google Earth, gb





Oddense church/ Oddense kirke, Hindborg herred, Viborg amt.


Oddense church, ab. 10 km northwest of Skive.




Oddense parish, Hindborg herred, Viborg amt.

Contrary to traditions of the local district the church in Oddense is rather large. It lies upon a flat hill in the parish town with a Romanesque choir and nave and a late Gothic western tower and a porch to the north. Choir and nave are built in granite ashlars upon a profiled plinth. From original details is the choir arch kept with profiled kragbånd, the bricked-up east window of the choir and two bricked-up windows to the north, - and the broad south portal of the nave with a flat monolite lintel, which is carried by two free columns with rough capitals. An ashlar with a lion figure in deep relief is inserted in the northern part of the triumph arch. From the northern portal, or maybe from a priest door upon the northside of the choir - which lintel still is on its place in the strongly re-built wall work - origin two high ashlars with elegant column decorations, which bear reminders about the wooden architecture, now bricked-in at the south side of the tower. At the north side of the choir were during a restoration in 1956 discovered foundations from a medieval sacristy. In the late Middle Ages were in the nave built three bays star vaults upon projecting pillars. The tower has smooth gables north-south ; it is built in monk bricks above re-used ashlars from the western gable of the nave. There is access to the other storeys via a free staircase to the north. The tower room, which is connected to the nave by a low, point arched arcade, has an original cross vault, re-walled in 1871. The large porch in monk bricks has a gable with broad point arched glares. In Pont. Atlas 1768 is mentioned two porchs.  The whole church is lead roofed. The porch and the upper section of the tower are white-washed.

Upon the star vault of the nave is a rich decoration of interesting frescoes from the reformation period with inscriptions in Danish and Latin, painted by the same master as the frescoes in Torum church (Salling Nørre herred). There are biblical scenes and folklore legends with devils etc. In the western bay are naive Evangelist pictures,which were painted in 1878, when the old paintings became the subject to a restoration by a local painter, which could be characterized as a ruthless overpainting. Paintings by this restorator are also found below in the eastern vault. 

 

A pretty communion table panel from ab. 1650 with original paintings in the arcade fields. Altarpiece from 1602, painting from ab. 1800 in the big field. Ore candelabres  from 1550-1600. A large Romanesque granite font with roundstick around the smooth basin. Pulpit in rural Renaissance with Evangelist-pictures from ab. 1700 in the big fields. Pretty benches from the late 1800s with new colours. Iron bound fattigblok ( box for money-collection for the poor). Series pastorum in the tower room. Bell 1802, cast by Reimer in Randers, hangs in an old bell frame. In the brick-up in the south door is a large cross-decorated gravestone in Romanesque type. Upon the church yard a large worn out gravestone from the 1700s for a member of the family Sadolin. Neo Gothic portal with driving-gate at the western dike.

Saustrup was in 1455 by Peder Nielsen pawned to bishop Knud in Viborg. In 1519 it was inhabited by a peasant. I 1661 it was divided in two farms, which by the Crown were laid out to hr. Ove Giedde's heirs. His great-grandchild Dorte Giedde (+ 1743) was married to captain Niels Høeg (Banner) (+ 1725), who lived here in 1716, while she as widow lived her in 1728. In 1780 it was divided in Over Saustrup and Neder Saustrup, which by Johs. Hansen were sold to Axel Rosenkrantz Lasson of Astrup, who sold them before 1791. 

Bligård was in 1514 by Henrik Steen sold to bishop Erik Kaas.

Torsmark (earlier Torshøj) belonged from ab. 1850 the family Ladefoged; in 1954 it was taken over by A. Wibholm.

Hindborg herred's tingsted (judicial place for the thing) was possibly before 1688 south of Oddense church (close to the church lies Tinghøj).

Listed prehistorics: one longhill and 19 hills, of which several are rather large: one north of Næstild, two south of Kåstrup, one east of Oddense, two west of Vestergårde, the large Ravnshøj upon  Torsmark, Elsehøj north of Saustrup and Tinghøj south of Oddense.

Demolished or destroyed: 106 hills and longhills; they were placed close in Frammerslev and around Oddense and Saustrup.


Names in the Middle Ages: Oddense (1410 Otenssogen, 1479 Otthensæ); Frammerslev (1464 Frammeszløff, 1524 Frammersløff); Næstild (1410 Nestill, ab. 1525 Nestildt); Kåstrup (1524 Kastrop); Lille Ramsing (1589 Lille Ramsing); Vestergårde (1524 Vestergarde, -gardt); Saustrup (1519 Saustrup); Saustrupgård (1455 Saustrups gard); Bligård (1514 Bligard).


GB

Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt 1962. 

photo: borrowed from Google, gb

 
    





Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lemming church/ Lemming kirke, Hids herred, Viborg amt.

Lemming church , ab. 9 km north of Silkeborg

















Lemming parish, Hids herred, Viborg amt. 


Lemming church has a Romanesque choir and nave and a western tower from 1786. The choir and nave is built in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. In the re-built walls are no original details on their place, but the Romanesque south portal with two half columns and two free columns is placed as a western entrance in the tower. The portal's tympanum lies as a stepping stone in front of the door. In the late Middle Ages were built cross vaults in the choir. The tower, which is built in monk bricks, has flatcurved peepholes and a lead roofed pyramid spire. The weather wing has the inscription F. 1786 (for the building master Jean A. Fischer of Allinggård and the time of building). Above the tower room, which is covered by a barrel vault and serves as a porch, is - like in the almost contemporary tower in the neighbouring church Svostrup - furnished a barrel vaulted gallery with a broad flatcurved opening in the gable wall towards the nave. Between the porch and the gallery is a staircase in the south wall; there is entrance to the other storey of the tower via a hatch in the vault of the gallery. At the same time as the building of the tower, the choir and nave were equipped with a profiled tiled corniche,and the gable field of the choir was rebuilt in monk bricks.


Communion table panel with simple Renaissance-profiles. Altarpiece from ab. 1600 with paintings from 1905. (Poul Steffensen). Altar candelabres from the late 1800s. In a deep cupboard-niche behind the altar are two narrow Renaissance panels with arcades. A Romanesque granite font in West Jutland type. A baptismal dish, a South German work from ab. 1550 with the coat of arms of Habsburg and a deer-and-hound-frieze, acc. to inscription given to the church 1713 by parish priest Anders Hvas and wife, whose initials are found on a wrought iron rail from 1727, which is now placed in front of the gallery in the tower, but which probably originally served as an altar rail. Pulpit in the common Renaissance-type like other pulpits in the local district with entrance via the triumph wall, and a later sounding board. Pews from 1936. The bell was cast by Reimer in Randers in 1786. It has a memorial inscription for Chr. Fischer of Alling and Grauballegård and medaillons with portraits of Danish kings.

Jens Nielsen of Nissetgård is mentioned in 1448 (Nestued gaard). Its place with rests of graves is still known.

In the parish is mentioned the farms Nisset Overgård (1683 Neszit Offrgaard) and Vestergård (1491 Wester gaard) in Lemming and the mill, Rænemølle (1432 Rænsmølle, 1433 Rænemølle) at Lemming Å (water stream). The mill belonged to Alling kloster.


Listed prehistorics: A rather large, somewhat outdigged Østermark høj east of Lemming. 
Demolished or destroyed: 3 hills.

A strange animal trap in wood, which probably origins from prehistoric time, was found in a moor, Nisset Nørremose



Names in the Middle Ages: Lemming (1315 Leming); Nisset (1425 Neszitt).



GB


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.


photo: borrowed from Google Earth, gb.




 







Monday, March 18, 2013

Håsum church/ Håsum kirke, Rødding herred, Viborg amt.




Håsum church, ab. 12 km northwest of Skive.   


















Håsum parish,  Rødding herred, Viborg amt. 


The small church in Håsum is located high upon a steeply sloping church yard. It has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south from the late 1800s. A now demolished apse was once an extension of the choir. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth - and the choir lies unusually skewed compared to the nave. Both original doors are kept, the bricked-up north door with a couple of free-standing columns, which have strange homemade capitals and bases. The round arched south door is in use, but without columns - they lie in pieces upon the church yard. Original windows are seen bricked-up upon the north side of nave and choir and on the south side of the choir.

Inside the church are beamed ceilings, and the choir arch is extended. The late Gothic tower, which is of similar broadth as the nave, has a cross vaulted bottom room and a round tower arch. The gables are north-south, and the north gable has kept its typical Northwest-Jutland high-glare bevel-cut decorations. Many ashlars are marked by fire. Around a couple of the bricked-up windows is frescoe-painted late Gothic framework. 

The altarpiece with Renaissance-framework around the painted fields is probably from 1744. Heavy, balustershaped Baroque-candelabres.  A Romanesque granite font with rope-decorations upon the basin and primitively made lions upon the foot. A dish given in 1697 by Christen Linde of Volstrup. A Renaissance sounding board above the font. A pulpit from the middle of the 1700s with naive Evangelist-paintings. A bell from the second half of the 1300s by Nicolaus with majuskel-inscription.

Epitaph set up  by Mogens Høeg in 1636 for Melchior Glob of Vellumgård and ancestors, after the original epitaph was destroyed in 1628 by the imperial troops, who cleared away the burials of the Glob-family in order to bury an officer instead. A hill in the northwestern corner of the church yard, which was demolished in the beginning of the 1900s, contained skeletons, which supposedly came from the cleared burial.


Vellumgård belonged probably to hr. Niels Hase in the 1300s. In 1413 it was owned by his son Peder Hase, who still lived in 1425; his widow Kirsten Nielsdatter Krag married Anders Skeel (+ ab. 1455), whose daughter Anna Skeel before 1467 married Oluf Pedersen Glob (Due) (+ ab. 1501), who several times is written of V. Their son hr. Albert Glob (Due) (1510 and 1516) and his children Oluf (+ 1558)  and Melchior Glob (Due) (+ ab. 1543), owned the farm, the last mentioned's widow Anne Eriksdatter Lange (+ 1559) married 1551 Gregers Ulfstand (+ 1583), who broke down V. The land of Vellum village was ab. 1700 laid under Kærgårdsholm.  -  A new V. was formed in 1807 by parcels from Kærgårdsholm. In 1958 it was owned by Svend Åge Lund.       


Kærgårdsholm was in the middle of the 1400s owned by Sophie Bosdatter Høg, thereafter by her son, Henrik Eriksen of Hostrup. His widow Karen Nielsdatter Krabbe (of Østergård) owned K. in 1484, and her brother's son Niels Krabbe was the owner in 1498 and 1511. His son-in-law Ejler Lykke sold in 1545 K. to above mentioned Anne Lange of Vellumgård, whose husband Gregers Ulfstand (+ 1583) after the demolition of Vellumgård built K. upon the place where it stood until the 1880s. K. was then owned by the son Melchior Ulfstand (+ 1617) and fru Elsebet Viffert, his sister Anne Ulfstand (+ 1627) and her husband Stygge Høeg (Banner) (+ ab. 1630) and their son, rigsråd Mogens Høeg (Banner) (+ 1661). Mogens Høeg's daughter's son, Jakob Ulfeld, who was banished to the East Indies for his tyrannic behaviour towards his wife Christence Daa, but who came back after her interceding, inherited the half of K., while the other half went to Mogens Høeg's son-in-law baron Ejler Holck. This part came before 1676 to High Court judge Jens Lassen, and via exchange with Jakob Ulfeld he bought the whole farm before 1688. After Jakob Ulfeld was killed in 1688, K was by the Crown laid out to his widow, who married Mogens Kaas, who wrote himself of K. in 1691. Fru Christence Daa's heirs sold K. in 1693 to Anne Pedersdatter, widow after Laurids Nielsen.  She sold at once farm and estate to Christen Linde (+ 1706), who included the land of Vellum village. His son Niels Linde ( +1746) let rebuild the farm ; his son Christen Linde (+ 1756), deeded in 1751 K.,  a part of Stubbergård and taxes and estate to Christen Olufsen Fløy (+ 1757), but bought it all back a year after.  His widow Maren Loss married the earlier manager at K. justitsråd (judicial counsellor)  Jørgen Hvas (enobled de Lindenpalm)( + 1782), who in 1758 sold K. to ritmester (captain) Johan Glud, after whose death 1766 Peder Obel (+ 1794) bought K.

In 1777 K. was sold to Mads Opitius (+ 1784), who had to do array, whereafter Obel in 1779 rebought the farm. He sold it in 1780 to Niels Willemoes, who at once left half the estate to kammerråd Peder Hansen of Landting (+ 1797). His widow Mariane Bernstorff out-bought in 1799 Niels Willemoes of K.and achieved appropiation to sell out the peasant-estate without losing the main farm's freedom. In 1803 she sold it to forvalter (manager) Poul Holst (+ 1826) , who sold the peasant-estate  and after appropiation in 1805 outparcelled the main farm. In a forced sale of him in 1820 Ulrik Christian v. Schmidten  bought K., and in his forced sale in 1826 K. was bought by a consortium, who in 1827 sold K. to Mads Refsgård, who in 1828 sold it to the above mentioned Poul Holst's widow, Mette Marie Schmidt, who continued the outparcelling. The farm belonged in 1833 to Jens Gramstrup (+ 1853), then his son F. Gramstrup and his son L. Gramstrup and P.A. Sørensen, who built a new main building in the 1880s.  
Later owners: Kjær-Jacobsen, P. Anthonsen, Anders Rasmussen in 1904, Kristen Sørensen in 1913, R. Lilienskjold in  1915, Kristen Sørensen the same year, Daniel Pape in 1917, A. Mouritsen in 1919, C.P. Christensen 1920, Andersen Andersen 1922, Jens Pedersen Clausen 1923, in 1937 it was bought by Chr. M Elgaard, who in 1954 transferred it to his son K.B. Elgaard.

A little west of the present Kærgårdsholm is seen a small rise in the flat terrain, which is partly overploughed and  partly planted. The place has the name Dojsen or Dons, it was pointed out as the castle bank of the oldest Kærgårdsholm, but if this is the case all visible traces are wiped out (mentioned in Resens Atlas:"at the farm "Kiergaarsholm", is a hill called Gaasen with a shape of a regular triangle".

Northeast of Kærgårdsholm in the moor a little west of the country road is the castle bank of the farm, which was demolished in the 1880s, a small place with ditches after building-foundations. It is to north, west and south surrounded by waterfilled moats. (in 1962). The plan seems to stretch out to the east in the cultivated meadow, several brick-rests are seen . These traces might be remindings of the eastern farm building. In the meadow west and north of the castle bank are irregularities in the terrain, probably from the western farm building, which is mentioned at the time of Niels Linde. In the meadows around the castle bank was under certain cirumstances the trace of a road pointing towards Håsum.

In Kærgårdsholm mølle (mill) was earlier dyeworks and cotton weaving.

Vellumgård got its name after a disappeared village Vellum (1413 Wellom) where the land ab. 1700 was included under Vellumgård. In Torp was a farm Knapsdal (1610 Knapsdall). 

Listed prehistorics: 6 hills, among these Klokkehøj close to the church.
Demolished or destroyed: 30 hills.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Håsum (1403 Hosum, 1487 Hosom); Kærgårdsholm (1484 Kieregaardshollm);  Vellumgård (1400s Wellumgaardt, 1481 Wellumgard, Veyldomgardh); Stengård (1482 Stengaardt).


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.



photo: borrowed from Google Earth.













Sunday, March 17, 2013

Elsborg church/ Elsborg kirke, Viborg amt.

Elsborg church , ab. 10 km southeast of Viborg.


















Elsborg parish, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt.


The church in Elsborg has a Romanesque choir and nave and a tower to the west from the 1500s. The original sections are in granite ashlars with a bevelled plinth. The two straight-edged doors of the nave are bricked-up, and the east window of the choir, with a monolit lintel, has newer tile frames. At the east gable of the choir are some loose ashlars - some from disappeared windows. The choir has a late Gothic octagonal rib vault, and the nave a flat plaster ceiling. The tower with gables north-south is in raw granite boulder, bricks and re-used ashlars. The original entrance - through the north wall it is now a tool room with a Baroque door wing - was later replaced by a western entrance. A free staircase to the south. The tower is whitewashed, the rest is in blank wall; round arched cast iron windows, red tiled roofs. The nave has the original  oak roofing.


A bricked communion table, a Lutheran triptychon with trifoil-finish, reinstalled in 1941 with new wings. In the bottom corners of the painting of the middle cupboard from ab. 1650 are reconstructed coat of arms for Friedenreich and Linde. In 1941 the painting was removed from the altarpiece, it hangs on the wall of the nave. New altar rails. In an earlier report from the National Museum is mentioned a stone lamp, similar to the lamp in Almind church. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin and an irregular round foot. A baptismal dish in pewter, octagonal  with a blurred monogramme (Daniel Friedenreich ?) 1693. A contemporary baptismal jar in pewter. A pretty pulpit, now in four bays, original five bays, rich arcades in the large fields with later inserted Evangelists. The Elsborg-pulpit can probably be assigned to the demolished Gråbrødre-church in Viborg, since it acc. to church-protocol of 1862 was bought by mill-owner Jæger and was sent to Elsborg. Newer pews. Organ upon a contemporary gallery. A large Gotich psalms number board upon hinges. Bell 1903, recast from bell 1561, cast by Rasmus Lavsen (Frands Dyre of Dampsgord let cast this bell). The inventory was restored in 1941 and 1952.

Mosgård came by law-letter in 1503 to Anders Munk (Vinranke- Munk) -  and came probably thereafter to his son-in-law Jens Hvas of Ormstrup, whose children in 1541 got the king's confirmation of the 1503-letter. In 1581 it belonged to Niels Jensen Viffert of Torstedlund who in 1582 exchanged it to the Crown.

Several farms in the parish have disappeared: Aspe (1310 Aspæ), Vestergård (1494 Westergaard), Mosgård (1503 Mosgardt) and Bjergesgård (1542 Biergis Gaard).

Listed prehistorics: north of Elsborg, close to the country road, is the large hill Egehøj.
Demolished or destroyed:  26 hills, 10 were in an open group north of Elsborg.  


Names from the Middle Ages: Elsborg (1363 Ælsburgh); Høbjerg kro and water mill: (1513 Høbierg mølle).


Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.   


photo: grethe bachmann

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Kastbjerg church, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt.

Kastbjerg church, ab. 10 km northwest of Grenå.



 Kastbjerg parish, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt.
  
The church in Kastbjerg is a longhouse building with a Romanesque nave and a Gothic choir-extension, aA tower to the west and a porch to the south . From the Romanesque building, which is built in granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth, stands only the nave, which has kept its straight-edged south door in use. A round arch window to the north is only visible inside, bricked-up as a niche. In the Gothic period, maybe already in the 1300s, the original choir was replaced by a three-sided longhouse choir, and later cross-vaults were built in  the church, which outside are supported by heavy, sloping buttresses. In the western vault was a now bricked-up trapdoor to the loft, which indicates that the tower was built after the building of the vault. The tower, which bottom room has an octagonal vault, opens to the nave in a pointed arch, which is of the same width as the nave and has gables north- south. The north gable has five close-placed round arch glares, the south gable is very re-built ab. 1834 ( iron numbers). The porch in granite boulder and monk bricks is probably from the middle of the 1500s. Its smooth gable has a small Renaissance-marked top peak. In a lightning in 1950 the church was so damaged that it had to get a thorough restoration, and during this was found frescoes, which were washed over.



 Pulpit in simple Renaissance, new altarpiece by Poul Winter, granite lion-font, small altar crucifix, probably Italian.



Upon an earlier communion table-panel was an inscription that the altarpiece was plundered by the Poles, but the table was re-dressed in 1661 again by herredsfoged Søren Pedersen and his wife Birgitte. The  *altarpiece is a copy  from 1923 after Carl Bloch's Gethsemane in a neo-Gothic frame work. An earlier altar painting from 1870 by Andreas Tastrup hangs in the tower room. A small altar crucifix with side figures, all in soft wood from the 1700s,  is probably Italian. Brass candelabres in late Gothic type. A Romanesque granite font with lions in Himmerland-type,but without foot; the basin rests upon a common ashlar. A South German baptismal dish ab. 1575, stamped RS. A small pulpit in simple Renaissance with painted date 1589 and a contemporary sounding board. A parish clerk stool 1665 and pews with years 1649 and 1651.

Addition: * New altarpiece by Poul Winther. 

At Selkær was the Thing of the herred (district) once, later at Skindbjerg .
















Listed prehistorics: 5 hills, of which two, Storhøj southwest of Selkær and Møgelhøj south of Skindbjerg, are rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: a long dolmen and 34 hills upon a hillside, stretching from south of Selkær to Laen (Glesborg parish) where was once al row of hills.

Names from the Middle Ages: Kastbjerg (1421 Kaszbierg 1455 Kasebiærgh); Skindbjerg (1404 Skindberg, 1455 Skinbyærgh); Selkær (1360 Siælker, 1442 Sællækiær).

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.     


Photo Kastbjerg kirke 2009: grethe bachmann


Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Vejlby church/ Vejlby kirke (Allingåbro), Randers amt.


Vejlby church, 2009: grethe bachmann



Vejlby parish, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt.


Vejlby church at Allingåbro has in its present look a large nave with apse, a side nave with a sacristy and a porch north of the main nave and a tower at the west end of the side nave. The original section is the present side nave and sacristy, which formed nave and choir in a Romanesque church in granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth. The walls were re-built in 1890-1900. The church distinguishes itself by its magnificent granite portals decorated with pictures, which were made by the Djursland master Horder. The south portal is especially magnificent (now at the west gable of the main nave) with relief carved biblical images, also with reliefs upon the lintel. The original choir arch is also kept with profiled kragsten. In the late Middle Ages the church had a cross vault in the choir and two bays star vaults in the nave, and at the same time the west tower was added with pyramid roof and a vaulted bottom room and the porch, mostly built in monk bricks. The old church has frescoes from two periods. In the choir arch late Romanesque pictures from ab. 1250, (restored in 1884), and upon the vaults late Gothic decorations (restored in 1923).  The medieval village church changed character, when it was overshadowed by the large main nave ( architect H. Paludan 1923). The south wall of the old nave was broken through, while the choir arch was bricked up, and the old choir was furnished as a sacristy and connected to a special small extension with the choir of the new nave.The church got a main entrance to the west, and the new nave was covered with four bays star vaults and was decorated with frescoes by E. Risebye.

Vejlby church, Google-map 2013
A late Baroque altarpiece from ab. 1700 with the coat of arms and initials of Chr. Friis of Hevringholm, in the middle field a crucifix; altar chalice from 1671 with the coat of arms of colonel Hans Friis and Helvig Marsvin. Large ore candelabres from b. 1600. A Romanesque granite font with foliage around the basin. A late Baroque pulpit with sounding board from almost the same time as the altarpiece. New pews 1923. At the western gallery an organ. A late medieval bell was re-cast in 1900. In the floor of the old choir lies a gravestone from ab. 1700 for Peter Skiøt and wife, while a stone for a priest's son Jens Andersen Holst (+ 1754) is placed in the old choir arch.

Julielund was until ab. 1810 called Kærgård (1500s Kiergordz eyendomm ). In 1601 it was inhabited by Jens Bang and belonged under Hevringholm. In 1660 it came to Peder Lassen and then among others to Niels Winter, Amdi Rasmussen Borup (+ 1693), his son Hans Andersen (+ 1700), Peder Nielsen Skøt, the brother Niels Jensen Skøt, and in 1734 parish priest Anders Justesen Holst. After this it was owned by his son Just  (Jens?) Holst (+ 1754), who in 1753 sold it to Jacob Adler of Østergård. It was for a period under Løvenholm. N. Juul (+ 1806) willed it in 1803 to his sister Edel Marie, m. to H.J.Benning, she got in 1809 a deed on it from Peter Severin Fønns of Løvenholm and transferred it at her death in 1814 to N. Clausen, who in 1829 sold it to P.B.Holm. In 1830 it was sold to manager J. Pind at Tjele (+ 1836) at an auction. His daughter Elisabeth Bol. Pind (+ 1848) brought it by marriage first to manager J. Jespersen (+ 1844), then in 1845 to Chr. Høilund (+ 1891) whose daughter-in-law Johanne Høilund took it over. From 1911 it belonged to the son K.P. Højlund. In 1951 J.Højlund took it over from his father.   

Allingåbro, hotel, 2003: grethe bachmann















Tøjstrup Østergård was in 1398 sold by Selgen and Mikkel Nielsen to Tord Terkelsen, whose brother-in-law, the væbner Mikkel Assersen is mentioned of T.  1462-83. He sold the farm to the elder Bjørn Andersen of Stenalt. After the younger Bjørn Andersen (+ 1604) it came by exchange to the son-in-law Jørgen Friis (of Haraldskær) of Krastrup, who sold it to Mourids Stygge of Holbækgård, whose widow Anne Lykke in 1613 sold it to Eske Brok of Estrup.

In Tøjstrup burnt in 1784 5 farms and 6 houses under Gl. Estrup.

At Udbygårde on the border between field and meadow was once a sacred spring. 

Listed prehistorics: 3 hills, close together, south of the parish.

Demolished or destroyed: 5 hills.

In Vejlby was a now disappeared rune stone.

Names from the Middle Ages: Vejlby (1424 Wedelby); Allestrup (1361 Allistorp); Tøjstrup (1398 Tystrup, 1450 Tyghestrup). 






Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo 2009: grethe bachmnan
photo 2013: google map.




Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Ginnerup church and Skærvad manor, Randers amt.


Ginnerup church, ab. 10 km west of Grenå.


Ginnerup parish, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt. 

Ginnerup church has a Romanesque nave, a late Gothic longhouse choir, a tower to the west and a porch to the south. From the Romanesque building stands only the flank walls of the nave in limestone ashlars and raw granite boulder. The south door is in use, it is outside and has got a flat round arch, while the bricked-up north door is seen inside with a plank-cover. A bricked-up round arch window in the middle of the north wall seems to have been the only one in this wall. In the late Gothic period ab. 1500 was the original choir displaced by a threesided longhouse choir in re-used ashlars and monk bricks, and cross vaults were built in the whole church. At about the same time the tower was built, which cross vaulted bottom room is connected to the nave in a pointed tower arch. The gables (north-south) have uniform glare decorations. The porch has a smooth stepgable and a round arched falset door. (falset = fastened). The building was latest restored in 1957.



The communion table is covered by panel work in Renaissance from ab. 1600 with portal fields. The altarpiece is a pretty Renaissance work from ab. 1600 with a painting from 1875. Softly profiled Baroque candelabres. A choir arch crucifix from ab. 1300 hangs upon a new and too broad wooden cross. A related Sct. John-figure (Johannes) is in Grenå Museum. A Romanesque granite font , the Djursland type with foliage upon the basin and animal figures upon the foot. A South German dish ab. 1575 with the coat of arms of the Habsburgs. A simple pulpit, ab. 1700, in Baroque with winding pillars, an entrance panel in Renaissance with portal fields. In the porch gravestone 1) mayor in Grenå Johan Welov (+ 1685); 2) manager Christen Jensen Vinther (+ 1770) and wife Margretha Augusta Broge; 3) manager Friederich Hansen (+ 1782).

At Mastrup was once a church which is vaguely visible in the terrain. 



Skærvad Manor


Skærvad, ab. 10 km west of Grenå
Ginnerup parish, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt.

Hr. Ture Knudsen of the family Dyre died ab. 1385; he owned Skærvad together with another nobleman by the name of Vilhelm Svave , but had before his death transferred it to queen Margrethe, who in 1386 conveyed it to hr. Jens Andersen of the later wellknown nobility family Brock from Gammel Estrup. He had contrary to his mother Johanne Brock supported Valdemar Atterdag and even been his drost for a while. Queen Margrethe undoubtedly trusted him, and Erik of Pommern confirmed her deed in the year 1400. Jens Andersen died in 1408, and his estates were shared among the heirs. When his son Jens Jensen was killed in 1404, Skærvad came to his son Lave Jensen Brock, who died in 1435; he also owned Clausholm. This farm came with Skærvad to the son Axel Lavesen Brock. Axel Lavesen was not the sole owner of Skærvad, hr. Svend Udsen had also a share, which with his daughter came to her husband hr. Niels Munk (Bjælke-Munk) of Sostrup and Brusgaard (died ab. 1460). Axel Lavesen bought him out in 1455 after having rented out Skærvad a year before to the væbner Niels Munk of Ballebo. Hr. Axel had probably manor enough in the much more prosperous Clausholm - furthermore he owned the manor Græsegård at Sjælland. Skærvad was already in the Middle Ages a secondary manor, where the owners almost never lived.

Hr. Axel Lavesen Brock died 1498 as rigsråd and one of this period's greatest landowners; his only child Pernille Axelsdatter Brock had already died, her husband Albrecht Engelbrechtsen of the family Bydelsbak had also died; but their daughter Mette Albrechtsdatter Bydelsbak inherited Skærvad among much else estate and was the last member of the family Bydelsbak, when she died in 1513. She left heirs in her marriage with the very famous rigsråd and rigens hofmester (master at court) hr. Mogens Gjøe, they had not less than 7 children. The large estate was now being spread. One of the children, fru Elline Gjøe made a fine memory for her parents in 1552 by collecting letters in a jordebog (= with description of estates) , named "Eline Gøyes jordebog" with informations about Skærvad. When comparing other farms it is obvious that Skærvad (the economy) was at least fourfold a large peasant-farm . The original Skærvad was situated at Skærvad Mill, where a castle bank with a moat and outside this another bank is traceable. Here was in the 1700s the bailiff's house, while a half-timbered four-winged farm was east of this; old fish ponds bear also witness of earlier buildings.



Skærvad came to Eline's sister Ide Gjøe, who by marriage brought it to Otte Ottesen Rosenkrantz of Næsbyholm; he died 1557, fru Ide in 1563. Skærvad was inherited by the daughter Sophie Rosenkrantz, who died in 1571; she was survived by her husband, rigsråd Jakob Enevoldsen Seefeld of Visborggård, who died 1599 after in 1586 having bought the manor Sostrup, whic was situated in the same herred as Skærvad. The son Enevold Seefeld owned Skærvad in the first time, then his brother Hans Seefeld, who in 1608 also achieved Sostrup. He sold the farms in 1612 and 1613 to rigsmarsk Jørgen Skeel, who via his marriage to Jytte Brock got part in hr. Eske Brock's large estate, first of all Gammel Estrup with additional peasant-estate. Jørgen Skeel died 1631, Jytte Brock in 1640. Their son Christen Jørgensen Skeel inherited the large estate, where Skærvad was only a smaller main farm, but it came with Sostrup for a long time."Go together like Sostrup and Skærvad" was and expression which probably came from this. The legend says that Hans Seefeld gambled these farms away.

After Christen Skeel the Rich's death in 1688 the son Jørgen Skeel inherited the two farms together with much other estate, which after his death in 1695 came to his son Christen Skeel , who was born in his father's year of death. He founded a grevskab (county) Scheel from the main farms Sostrup, Skærvad, Ørbækgård and Skjern with additional peasant-estate. After this the family in this line called themselves Scheel. The son Jørgen greve Scheel took since over the grevskabet (county); he achieved the highest positions and titles inside the court, and died in 1786. He was probably the one who built the present half-timbered buildings. The county came at his death in 1786 to his paternal grandson Jørgen; the son Christian greve Scheel had died in 1771 as Danish minister in Skt. Petersborg. Grev Jørgen was still under age, but later drew attention to himself by his extravagance and his unwise economy; he is portrayed in a book " En Greve." (author: Hugo Matthiessen). He succeeded in destroying the county after it had existed ab. 100 years.



Both Sostrup and Skærvad was bought by the Danish State, and in 1829 the State conveyed the two manors together with Ørbækgård for 230.000 rigsbankdaler silver to ritmester (captain of horse) Jacob von Benzon. In 1829 was established a new entailed estate named Benzon. Skærvad was in 1840 sold to Chr. Fr.O.v. Benzon, who had the estate a few years only. After some changes of ownership Skærvad came in 1856 to the brothers Christian Frederik Carøe and grosserer Johan Fr. Carøe. Chr. Fr. Carøe took care of the farm management and lived there. He was a skilled and progressive farmer who in his time as a lessee in Vendsyssel had introduced the first threshing machine in 1848 in Vendsyssel. Skærvad was now known for its fine stock of pure Jutland dairy cattle and its fine malt barley. He was one of the leading farmers of the district and the education of young farmers at Skærvad was highly valued, a large circle of these raised a memorial stone for him in Skærvad skov. After this his brother Joh. Fr. Carøe owned the farm, but died already in 1893, and it was taken over by his children, grossererne Nicolai and Carl Johan Carøe, Reverend Martin Carøe and Augusta Christiane Trock-Jansen, née Carøe. In 1912 it was sold to proprietær J.Skriver. In 1920 it was sold to Randers Amts Udstykningsforening (Union for outparcelling), which in 1921 let outparcel 17 small-holdings from Skærvad's land. More outparcelling was done later. Owner in 1957 fru G. Bøystrup.

owners today: Lone and Bror Moldrup

Skærvads web-site:
The farm was in 2006-2008 renovated and rebuilt by Lone Moldrup. The rebuild includes a large riding ground-plan and a manor-stable. From one of the old buildings, where Lone Moldrup in 2007 decided to replace most of the timber framing and the roof - there is a view to the old castle bank, the terraces, the path-system and the old carp ponds, which gave fresh fish to the castle during the winter season.


foto Skærvad Marts 2009: grethe bachmann



Fannerup: Bishop Tyge II of Århus issued a letter from Fannerup in 1280. Hans Lykke wrote himself of F. 1475-81, his son Peder Lykke (+ 1535) likewise in 1501. In 1544 Christian II exchanged F. to Otte Gyldenstierne at Bygholm. Fannerupgård burnt down in 1656. It belonged in 1661 to Jørgen Seefeld and was still called a main farm. Later it was under the county Skeel (Sostrup), but was sold in 1819 to Ole Secher of Hjortshøjlund, H.H.Amnitzbøll, Jens Buch in Søby and L. A. Theil. The last mentioned sold in 1824 his fourth to the three others, who the same year sold the farm and mill to Chr. Christensen, Århus (+ 1854), from whom it in a forced sale came to den kongelige kasse ( the Crown), who sold it in 1829 together with Skeel (Sostrup), whereafter it was laid under the entailed estate Benzon. From this it was sold in 1839 at an auction to H.H. Sass (+ 1867). In 1856 F. was bought by Johan Andreas Neergaard, earlier of Skærvad, ( + 1887), whose son Johan Peder Neergaard (+ 1908) in 1872 sold it to A/S Kolindsund, who ab. 1920 sold it to Kiel, who 1923 transferred it to Fr. Legarth. In 1924 some land was sold off for smallholder farms. Later owners: H. Keller Pedersen from 1932 and J. Tage Hansen from 1959.


Asgård was established in 1847 by O. Pontoppidan. Owner in 1963: Gustav de Neergaard.

2 farms in Skærholm ( 1348 Skierholum) with 2 desolate mills were exchanged by hr.Svend Skubbe's wife Karen in 1348 with other estate to hr. Niels Bugge. His daughter Else Bugge exchanged in 1387 S. to hr. Jens Andersen (Brok), whose son's son's son hr. Axel Lagesen (Brok) in 1455 leased S. and S. field to Niels Munk of Ballebo. With Axel Lagesen's daughter's daughter S. came to hr. Mogens Gøye.

A sacred spring was once between Fannerup and Ginnerup.


Listed prehistorics:  Two long dolmens, Humsterhøj at Slemminggård (Enslev parish) with two partly destroyed chambers, where was found two thin-necked axes and a war axe, and Jyndovnen at Ginnerup with a wellkept chamber of 6 supporting stones and one cover stone. Furthermore 24 hills, of which several are large. One at Mastrup, one of Skiftenshøje in a forest northeast of Skærvad, the pretty Skærvadhøj, one in a small forest southwest of Skærvad, where are 6 hills, 4 large hills Sekshøjene (2 demolished), upon a hill north of Fannerup and a large hill a little north of these and finally one at Slemminggård. 
Demolished or destroyed:   63 hills, 2 round dolmens, 3 long dolmen, 1 dolmen chamber and 2 other stone graves, of which one probably was a passage grave.

In and around Fannerup were noted 6 kitchen middens, of which one at the east side of Ørum Å (river) belonged to Jættestuetiden (time of passage graves).

Names from the Middle Ages: Ginnerup (1455 Gindrup); Fannerup (1280 Farmathorp, 1404 Farændorppæ); Mastrup (1442 Mastorp); Neder Slemming (1388 Slyminge);  Skærvad (1386 Skære-, Skæræwath, Skiærwath); Fannerupgård (1425 Farendrup).

 

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt 1963. 

photo Ginnerup church and Skærvad manor : grethe bachmann


Sunday, March 03, 2013

Essenbæk old church site, Essenbæk present church, Randers amt.


portal, old church Essenbæk












memorial, ols church yard.

Essenbæk parish, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt.

The old church in Essenbæk, which was placed upon a bank at Essenbækgård, where the church yard with dike and gate still stand, was probably a Romanesque building in granite ashlars with nave with an added porch to the south and a tower with pyramid roof above the southwest corner of the nave.


view from old church yard
dike, old church yard.
If the church had a special choir building, then this was early broken down, and a new choir with a cross vault was established in the east end of the nave, where was built a triumph wall with a pointed arch. The rest of the church had a flat ceiling. The tower rested partly upon pillars built into the nave. -  The Gothic altarpiece with carved figures was bought at the church demolition by an antique dealer. Several figures from Catholic altarpieces are now in Randers Museum. The baptismal font was in wood. Its basin was carried by a kneeling figure.





Essenbæk church, Google map.
The present Essenbæk church ( in Assentoft) was built in 1868-69 south of the earlier church (above), which was broken down in 1865 because of dilapidation. The church is in red bricks upon a plinth of granite ashlars from the old church and is in Romanesque style. It has a choir and nave in one and an apse to the east -and a tower with an octagonal spire to the west. The choir and nave is inside separated by a triumph wall with a round arch. The bottom room of the tower functions as a porch with access to the west. The church has a decorated beamed ceiling.  - The altarpiece is a painting . The altar candelabres are from ab. 1600. A Romanesque granite font with cross lamb, a bird and two lions upon the basin; before 1869 the font stood in the garden of Gammel Estrup (manor), and its original home is unknown. In the north wall of the tower room is inserted a large gravestone with portrait reliefs for birkefoged ( bailiff) Rasmus Pedersen in Essenbæk Ladegård (+ 1602) and wife Anne Nielsdatter and her second husband birkefoged Bertel Henningsen.






landscape, Klostervej, Essenbæk, Google map.

Essenbæk kloster was founded by Knud Lavard's son-in-law Stig Hvide (+ 1151), but was probably originally placed in or at Randers and was moved in 1179-80 to Essenbæk. In 1431 is informed that the kloster, which was inaugurated to Sct. Laurentius, belonged to the Benedictine monks. The kloster was remembered in wills in 1268, 1292 and 1396 and bought gradually much estate. The estate included churches and estate in Essenbæk, Virring and Fløjstrup, and estate in Fausing, Årslev, Hørning, Lime, Gjesing (Gjesingholm), Glesborg, Tøstrup, Rimsø, Voldby, Homå, Egens, Mejlby, Mørke, Hornslet, Bregnet, Skødstrup, Egå, Ødum, Gimming, Albæk, Harridslev, Mariager, Dalbyover, Udbyneder and Kastbjerg parish and in Houlbjerg, Middelsom and Hjelmslev herred. Close to the kloster was the ladegård (farm building) and in the fjord was a fishing farm. A kloster yearbook up till 1323 origins probably from Essenbæk. In 1516 the last abbot Jens Thomsen bought the kloster free of borgeleje (some lease) from Christian II. When the abbot grew feeble, the monks chose the nobleman Hans Emmiksen for their manager.  This was cornfirmed by Frederik I in 1529. Hans Emmiksen died ab. 1536 and was followed as vasal by Axel Juul, who in 1546 had E. as a pawn. The kloster was redeemed in 1548 and was placed under Dronningborg vasalry. In 1661 the king deeded Essenbækgård, Essenbæk kloster and Essenbæk ladegård to colonel Hans Friis of Clausholm. He refrained Essenbæk ladegård and the entailed estate Hevringholm in 1695 to his brother's son Christian Friis. In 1726 E. was transferred to the entailed estate, but was sold 1784 together with Tustrup to Chr. Kallager, earlier of Mejlgård. Both farms were sold in 1787 to Peter Severin Fønss and John Fr. Carøe, who at once sold E. to Nis Christensen Kutsch, who in 1790 sold some parcels. Andr. and Henning Nielsen had in 1802 permission to do some outparcelling, and in 1805 and 1830 were made new outparcellings.




It is not known when the kloster buildings were broken down. Under the estate E. is in 1664 mentioned a "Cappelshus" (chapel), maybe the rest of the kloster. It was placed north of Klostergården, upon the meadow close to Gudenå river; a long stone built road lead from the high land and south out to it. A low, square land-rise with building foundations is now almost demolished. It was once a four-winged kompleks, of which the church possible was the south wing. In an examination from 1899 by the National Museum was uncovered some of the foundation of the southern wall of the church in  granite boulder and some red monk bricks. In the southern choir-walk were seen rests of a stone-lined well with a downturn staircase. Upon the church yard was found bricked graves. In an examination in 1925 the cirka dimensions of the kloster were noted: 57 meter north-south, 47 meter east -west. In Randers Museum are various things which origin from Essenbæk kloster: an unfinished granite font and some wooden figures.

In Essenbæk is said that the marsk Stig Andersen Hvide of Bjørnsholm was buried here in 1369.

Between Essenbæk and Langkastrup (Virring parish) is a valley Svendsdal, where according to legend a south Jutland king Svend Langfod was killed and buried. The large forests beween the valley and Romalth, have disappeared long ago. 

A sacred spring, Sct Laurentiikilde was downside Assentoft towards the meadow.

At Gunnerup mose was a village Gunnerup (1479 Gwndrwp), who like the settlements Kaldekod (1479 Kooildkod) and Munkegård (1479 Mwnkægaard) are mentioned as desolate in 1479. 

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish but there were 36 hills, of which 6 were placed in a group southwest of Assentoft, and west of this were another group of 4.


A few lesser kitchen middens are known from Volkmølle.



Names from the Middle Ages: Essenbæk kirke (1200s Eskingbec, 1330 Eskenbeck);  Assentoft (1579 Assentofftt); Drastrup (1465 Drastrup); Tammestrup (1338 Thomistrop); Essenbækgård (1579 Essenbeck Gardtt); Essenbæk Ladegård (1584 Essenbeck Ladegaard); Volkmølle (1579 Wolck mølle). 





Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.




photo Essenbæk 2008: grethe bachmann
photo Google map 2013