Thursday, February 14, 2008
Tæbring church /Tæbring kirke, Morsø Sønder herred, Thisted amt.
Tæbring church with free-standing bell tower
Romanesque granite Communion table under the white cloth
A view to Dragstrup Vig (Bay).
The small Romanesque granite church without a steeple in Tæbring is placed upon a coast brink by Dragstrup Vig (bay). There is a fine view to Limfjorden from a bench behind the church dike, from where the cliff falls steeply down to the bay.
The Romanesque sections of the church are built in well-carved granite ashlars and the walls have several stone mason marks. The church was built ab. the 1100s and restored in the beginning of the 1900s. The choir and nave are Romanesque and the porch from 1919. The choir has Romanesque windows to the east and north, probably re-walled at present. The other windows in the church are from 1919. The well-kept Romanesque choir arch has various profiled kragsten The south door with a straight cover stone is original, though somewhat changed in the outer wall. The bricked-up north door is a glare inside and outside distorted. The porch from 1919 was a replacement of an earlier porch. In 1919 the wooden bell frame by the south wall was moved out into the church yard as a freestanding bell tower.
In the nave and upon the triumph arch are over-chalked fragments of late Gothic and after-Reformation frescoes. A Romanesque communion table is in granite ashlars , originally freestanding, but now placed by the east wall. In the profiled cover plate(in four ashlars)of the altar is a reliquary in an unusual form. It has two relique holes, one heart-shaped and the other square. The altar piece is a simple Renaissance work from ab. 1620. The painting in the large field is of Johan Thomas Skovgård from 1935. A small Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin, re-carved at present. The granite baptismal font and Communion table are from the first building of the church. A south German baptismal bowl from ab. 1575. A pulpit of Næssund-type from ab. 1600, with entrance via the Triumpfh wall, in the large fields are roughly re-painted Evangelist-paintings. The pews, the priest stool in the choir and a grandiose gallery with harmonium origin from the main restoration in 1918-19. At Dueholm kloster is a rather damaged choir arch-crucifix from the church.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Tæbring (* 1386 Tybring, *1424 Tæberingh, 1478 Tæbring); Votborggård (* 1435 Wotteborgh, 1452 Votborgh); Votborg Vandmølle (1664 Wotborig Mølle).
Votborg was earlier a manor. In 1435 and 1453 is mentioned Peder Nielsen Bomøve (Lange-Munk) of Wotteborg, whose widow Inger Kaas ( from the family with a sparre (chevron) in their coat of arms) in 1459 wrote herself "aff Wottborg." It seems that she left V. to her brother's son Jens Nielsen Kaas, who in 1477 wrote himself to V. In 1667 it was by Anders Sandberg of Kvelstrup exchanged to magister Jakob Faber. Various owners up till present.
Northeast of Vothorg was the medieval Votborg's Voldsted (castle bank) which except the listed small rests of a castle yard is completely down-ploughed. According to earlier informations the bank consisted of a low rectangular bank surrounded by moats and banks. No findings are known from the place.
Listed prehistorics: The hill Skelletoftehøj at Tæbring.
Demolished or destroyed: 13 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Thisted amt, 1961
photo 24. Ausust 2007: grethe bachmann