Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Janderup Church, ab. 10 km west of Varde
Janderup sogn, Vester Horne herred, Ribe amt.
The whitewashed church in Janderup has a desolate place at Varde Å. (river). It is a large village church with a choir and with an added sacristy, nave and tower to the west. The church had earlier two porches; both are removed, and the tower room now functions as a hall with a new entrance in the north wall. The earliest Romanesque sections, the choir and nave, are mostly granite, above this tufa, upon a profiled double plinth. Several Romanesque windows are kept, all walled-in. Both doors of the nave are walled-in with smooth frames. In the north door is an old door wing with a Gothic marked furniture. The additions are from the late Middle Ages and built in monk bricks: a cross-vaulted sacristy to the north and a large tower to the west. The inside is over-vaulted with one bay in the choir and three bays octagonal rib-vaults in the nave, and the Romanesque choir-arch is kept with finely profiled kragsten. A frescoe decoration from the beginning of the 1500s was brought to light in 1936.
Upon the bricked communion table with a Renaissance front panel from the end of the 1500s stands a large altar piece, given in 1645 by slotsskriver at Riberhus and owner of St. Hebo, Peder Byrgesen and wife, whose carved names are on the side wings. At the entrance to the sacristy is an old door wing with 1700s'
paintings. In the sacristy is an old well-kept confessional from ab. 1730 with kneeler and baluster-rail. Rests of medieval wooden sculptures from the disappeared side altars are now in the door-niches of the nave: a Madonna from 1532 and a contemporary bishop-figure. Romanesque granite font, above this a carved sounding board (earlier shown year 1652). Above the choir arch a crucifix from the 1300s. The parish clerk stool has a carved year 1603. The pulpit is a rich Renaissance-work from ab. 1600 with Corinthic baluster-pillars and 1700s' paintings and a contemporary sounding board. The pews have gables in early Renaissance, upon the upper gables an inscription that these "skamler" (stools) were bought in 1575 by Simon Christensen of St. Hebo. A Rococo-organ is given in 1774 by Mads Rygaard of St. Hebo, placed upon a gallery with painted apostle-figures in the fields. A chandelier in the choir was given by the above mentioned Simon Christensen; besides two newer chandeliers given in 1911. Church ship: war ship "De Ammeral", given by parish priest Niels Sehested 1776. In the tower room several head-stones from 1600s and 1700s. Upon the church yard a grave with Jens Jensen of Janderup, (+ 1647), 126 years of age! North of the church yard an old red brick-building, named "Kirkehuset". (The Church House)
Store Hebo was a freeholders-farm, it belonged to Anders Nielsen (+ 1602), his widow Marine (+ 1629) and son Niels Andersen in Varde, whose widow Anne Nielsdatter died 1659. Their son Niels Nielsen of St.H. (+ 1667) was married to Lisbeth Pedersdatter Hebo (+ 1703), who in 1686 conveyed her inheritance-rights of the farm to her son-in-law Hans Nielsen Kjær (+ 1709), who was priest in Ål. (parish) In 1718 the farm belonged to Simon Christensen (+ 1732), whose widow Mette Marie Joensdatter 1733 married Poul Borreby (later priest in Gudum, + 1748). In the exchange after him in 1749 the farm was taken over by his widow Gertrud Marie Madsdatter, who the same year was married to I.J. Jelstrup (later of Kokkedal). In 1778 it belonged to Mads Rygaard (+ 1791), whose widow in 1792 married fuldmægtig at Hesselmed, Byrge Qvist, after whose death in 1825 it came to his son-in-law J.Chr. Westesen (+ 1841). Later owners: Thøger R. Teilmann, H.F.Ulriksen.
The brick-built white-washed main building from 1798 is a fine and well-kept witness of the building traditions of West Jutland.
Janderup was in the old times a place of disembarkation for the town of Varde, since the river was not navigable that far up. Varde town had in 1640 from the Crown first refusal on a farm at the church (later the inn). In 1680 was a custom house for a short time at Janderup. Although the shipping place was officially abandoned in 1692, it was used up till the late 1800s. At the inn ("Skipperhuset") was a ferry across Varde Å-river until 1910. In the 1600s. had (acc. to. Pont. Atlas) the merchant ships from Varde their winter place at Janderup church.
In Hyllerslev Enge at Varde Å-river lies a castle bank Elkærhøj, an oblong bank, surrounded by a moat and a outer dam, which to the south and southeast broadens into large flat areas, probably a front-castle. Outside seems to have been another moat. In the late 1800s. were at the castle bank found rests of a timbered building.
In the parish was the farm Vig (1486 Wiigh, 1487 Wyghe, 1606 Wieg.) Chrf. Hvas of Hennegård founded in 1639 the main farm Søviggård in Ovtrup parish by this and Søgård in Ovtrup parish.
Listed prehistorics: 24 hills. Large, but damaged by dikes and ditches is a hill north of Nr. Hebo.
Destroyed or demolished: 79 hills; large groups were at Janderup hede, Kærup hede and north of St. Hebo. Already Pont. Atlas mentioned that at an excavation of the hills in the parish were found stone axes, stone knives and bronze-rings.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s.:
Janderup (1295 Jamthorp); Hyllerslev (1391 Hyllesløøf); Kærup (1471 Keerorpp, Keerurp); Strudvad (1606 Struduad); Bandsbjerg (1404 Bansberig), Sdr. Hebo (1638 Sønder Hebo), Nr. Hebo (1638 Nør Hebo); Grydvad Ml. (1606 Gryduad Mølle); St. Hebo (1503 Hiebo, 1664 Stoer Hieeboe).
Source: Trap Danmark, Ribe amt 1965.
photo Janderup kirke 2003: grethe bachmann
Sunday, April 03, 2011
Sønderskov, ca. 10 km southwest of Vejen
Folding sogn, Malt herred, Ribe amt.
Sønderskov belonged in 1448 to an unfree mand, Jakob Nielsen, who had inherited it after his wife Botilde's father Niels Lagesen (Rudbek) and his sons Peder and Johannes Nielsen, and who this year sold S. and Nielsby hovedgårde (main farm) to Ribe chapter, which earlier had them conveyed by Peder Nielsen. S. belonged in 1483 and 1505 to Henrik Steen of Plovstrup, a grandchild of Niels Lagesen, and his son Niels Steen is also mentioned of S., which with his sister Anne came to Thomas Galskyt of Bodum Bisgård, who owned S. in 1532. In 1548 his son Peder Galskyt (+ 1554) of S. is mentioned, in 1550 his brother Otto Galskyt (+ unmarried 1575) and 1572 Peder Galskyt's son Albert G. (+ childless 1593), whose mother fru Bege Clausdatter (Emmiksen + 1613), in 1600 with confirmation from her son-in-law Christoffer Rosenkrantz of Høgsbro (decapitated in 1610 ) and her daughter Johanne Galskyt sold it to Børge Rosenkrantz of Ørup. His son Palle Rosenkrantz is written of S. in 1611, but after his father's death in 1614 it was sold to Thomas Juel of Kollerup and Estrup (+ childless 1647), whose widow Maren Bølle died in 1648, whereafter S. in 1649 came to Thomas Juel's sister's son Manderup Due of Halkær (+ 1660). His son Jørgen Skeel Due (+ 1701) inherited S., which his sons Jørgen Chrf. Due and Albert Skeel Due (+ o. 1727) owned together until 1718, where Albert convyed his part to his brother, who pawned it in 1720 and later sold it to Hans Bachmann of Estrup ( + 1745).
In 1962 the owner was fru D. Karstens.
Today is Sønderskov a culture-historical district-musum of Vejen municipality.
The main building is listed in class A. It is the only preserved manor building in Ribe amt from the Renaissance period. It was built byThomas Juel in 1620 upon a rectangular castle bank with broad water-filled moats.
The church in Folding is a replacement of a medieval church. The new church is in red bricks with Romanesque details and built upon a granite plinth. It has a choir and nave with round-arched friezes and corner-pilastres. Exit to the west through a portal with pillars and a thympanum in lime stone, in the west end a front hall, above this a gallery. The altar piece is from 1634, given by Thomas Juel of Sønderskov; it comes from the old church; the silver chalice is from 1793; the pulpit is almost contemporary to the altar piece; the Romanesque granite font and the bell with a minuskel-inscription are from 1512. In the front hall a Romanesque gravestone with a male portrait-figure. A manor-gallery from the old church is now at Koldinghus castle-museum. The church yard is surrounded by granite boulder-dikes, south of the church is a grave hill, in which Samuel Nicolaus Claudius of Sønderskov established a barrel-vaulted burial in 1756. The old church had apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period, and the main part was built in small uncarved, yellow field-stones. A later added porch in bricks to the south. The church had possibly a western tower, which was demolished earlier.
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Folding (1236 Fuldærn); Nørbølling (1448 Norrebøling, 1449 Nørbølingh); Foldingbro (1505 Folingebroo); Sønderskov ( 1448 Synnerscogh); Stengård (1606 Stiengaard).
Listed prehistorics: 22 hills, of which two are big: the 6 m high Kirkehøj, placed on top of the hill, where the church is built, and a hill at Skovlyst.
Demolished or destroyed: A dolmen-chamber and 66 hills, of which most were placed in the northern part of the parish, on the fields of Nørbølling.
At Sønderskov Mølle (Mill) was found a petroglyph-stone wuith a wheel.cross.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ribe amt 1965.