|Give kirke, foto 2003: grethe bachmann|
The whitewashed church in Give has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower-bottom, a tower from 1905 to the west and a porch, probably also from 1905 to the north. The Romanesque building is in travertine; the nave stands on a faintly marked double plinth with a bevel edge in granite and travertine. The north door is in use and the south door is re-opened. Upon the north side of the nave are kept two round-arched windows, upon the choir a similar to the north and east. The south side of the choir is completely re-walled. The round-arched choir arch stands inside with narrow kragsten. The choir and nave have flat ceilings. A niche in the north wall of the choir with a pillar is probably of new date. In the late Gothic period a tower was built to the west in monk bricks with a cross-vaulted bottom room and a pointed tower arch. In 1780 it was very reduced and in a main restoration in 1905 it was even more reduced, down to the wall height of the nave - and west of this a new tower was built with glare-decorated step-gables to east-west. The porch, which also has a glare-decorated step-gable, is probably from the same time. A sacristy at the northside of the choir was broken down, it is not known when.
|Give kirke, foto: Google earth|
|Farre kirke, foto Google earth.|
Søndersthoved was owned by Joseph Rekhals in 1512, in 1553 it belonged to Per Knudsen (Glambek), in 1570 to Enevold Lauridsen (Udsen) and in 1578 his widow Inger Terkelsdatter (Væbner). In 1624 it belonged to Erik Krabbe of Østergård, whose brother-in-law Otte Kruse (+ 1628) in 1625 gave Laurids Ebbesen (Udsen) a life's letter on the farm. Otte Kruse's widow, Sophie Staverskov (Glambek) of Donneruplund, married 1635 Laurids Ebbesen (Udsen) and sold in 1652 together with her stepson Mogens Kruse of Spøttrup S. to Jørgen Lykke of Buderupholm. He exchanged it 1658 with 9 farms and small houses to his sister Johanne Lykke, after whose death ab. 1660 he at once outbought his brother-in-law, Erik Kruse, and in 1661 sold it to the Crown. In 1664 it was bought by colonel Johan Liebreich and belonged in 1671 to his widow, and then to the son-in-law major Otto Jacob v. Schwerin of Bjerre, and in 1688 his widow Helene Juliane Liebreich, in 1690 S. was transferred to Mads Nielsen Rosenlund of Dybvad and manager at Tyrrestrup Laurids Friis (+ 1699), who in 1694 deeded S. to hospital-manager Ch. Nielsen Toldorph, Horsens (+ 1705), who in 1696 deeded it to captain Kay Blome of Refstrup, who the same year transferred the deed to his sisters Margrethe Elisabeth and Anne Dorete Blome, the last mentioned was married to Alexander Grubbe of Donneruplund (+ 1700). In 1703 S. was owned by kammerråd Jens Risom (+ ab. 1720) married to Johanne Marie Cassius (+ 1742); in 1755 Søren Seidelin deeded S. and Refstrup to birkedommer Lars Thistrup, who the same year deeded S. to Niels Jørgensen Donnerup (+ 1820).
Later various owners, about 22 owners from 1755-1900. 1900: the family Ottosen.
Main building in red bricks from the end of 1900s.
Donneruplund belonged in the Middle Ages to Ribe bishopric, the væbner Palle Bang in D. in 1512 was probably a vasal. After the reformation the farm went to the Crown, who in 1537 exchanged it to Palle Bang's son-in-law Oluf Staverskov (Glambek)( + 1586), whose son Hartvig Staverskov (Glambek) then owned it. He died here in 1608, his widow Birgitte Iversdatter Vind died in 1610, and since they had no children, D. came to his brother's daughters Anne and Sophie Staverskov (Glambek), of whom the last mentioned in 1630 became the sole owner. She married in 1635 Laurids Ebbesen (Udsen)(+ 1646), who in 1638 is written of D. and still lived in 1668. In 1651 D. was bought by Ellen Skram, 1637 married to Alexander Grubbe of Vedbygård (+ 1700), who in 1684 deeded D. with 20 farms and small houses to her brother's son Otte Skram of Todbøl. In 1689 it was bought by lieutenant Casper Vilhelm Lentz and in 1718 Claus Jessen deeded it to Christen Clausen, Ribe, who in 1719 at auction sold D. to Niels Andersen Vang (or Vonge) (+ 1756). He deeded the farm in 1755 to his son Anders Nielsen Vang, later of Hastrup, who in 1761 deeded it to his son-in-law Anders Bagger, later of Hastrup, who already at auction in 1760 had sold D. to Christen Pedersen of Hvejsel Lundgård (+ 1797). He sold D. in 1785 to kancelliråd Malte Chr. Friis, earlier of Lynderupgård, who outparcelled the farm and shortly before his death in 1797 deeded it to Rasmus Pedersen of Rugballegård.
Various owners, about 15-16 from 1797-1913. Owner in the 1960s: Elmer Damkjær.
The main building Donneruplund lies in a low section of a castle bank of the first manor. There are no informations about the earlier buildings. The present building is a yellowwashed house. The cellar is partly in monk bricks and possibly with earlier building sections.
Ullerup was earlier an independent parish, still mentioned in 1419; U.(Vghælthorp) church is mentioned in the church-list from Ribe ab. 1330, but not in the list from the churches in Jelling-syssel ( a district) in 1534. In 1638 was still a piece of wall in travertine and the graves on the churchyard were still seen. The place is fenced and listed and a memorial stone was erected in 1921. There was also once a church at Farre and Kirkebjerg which have now disappeared.
Three sacred springs were known in the parish, one at the dike of Give church, one at Møldam Huse and Helgenkilde at Bæksgårde.
Give was before the railway came in 1894 only an ordinary village with 8 farms, ab. 20 houses and two grocery stores, but there were from old times held a couple of big markets, maybe they were originally markets by the sacred springs (Danish: kildemarkeder), and since the beginning of the 1880s here was also a place for the thing (tingsted). When the railway arrived and especially after the connection to the town Herning the town Give grew fast.
28 hills of which Gladhøj northwest of Give, Rævehøj east of Give plantation and a hill in the plantation (in a group of 7) are rather large.
demolished or destroyed:
258 hills; especially large groups have been at Neder Donnerup, Højgårde, Bøllund, Bæksgård and north of Give. In the excavation of Taskhøj at Farre were found several graves, among others a weapon grave from Celtic Iron Age and several graves from Roman Iron Age, one with the trace from a dødehus (death house). Iron Age's settlements are known from the place of Give svineslagteri and Marienlund. A primitive wooden plough (ard) from Iron Age was found at Donneruplund . At Store Hestlund was found a large, pretty decorated vessel from dyssetid (dolmen period).
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt 1964.