Monday, December 19, 2016

Hinge Church, Mid Jutland, Silkeborg Kommune

Hinge Church, Hinge parish, 12 km north of Silkeborg
(earlier: Lysgård herred, Viborg amt).

Hinge church lies north of Hinge Sø at the village Hinge. The Romanesque sections of Hinge church: apse, choir and nave built in monk bricks are strongly marked by building-works. The church is one of the earliest brick-churches in Denmark, built in the middle of the 1200s, and possibly built by the monks from the nearby Alling Kloster. Time and weather have worn out the bricks -  the original bricks are most visibly seen in the eastern part of the church with a piece of  the original bevelled plinth and a bricked-up window in the apse. The tower was built in 1679 and restored in 1779, a restoration arranged by J.A. Fischer of Allinggård and Grauballegård. The bottom room of the tower functions as a porch, and the tower has a pyramid-spire with a weather vane(with year 1779). The tower is white-washed, while the rest is in blank wall with red tiled roofs.

The apse- and choir arch are rebated and have bevelled corbels. The nave had originally an open roof-stool, but ab. 1530 the church had built-in a flat beamed ceiling. At the same time the frescoes upon the triumph-wall were washed over, they were rediscovered in 1980 and restored in 1984. There are three friezes: the upper and best preserved frieze shows the Passion of Christ in six sections, the second frieze shows the Holy family and the Worship of the Kings, the third frieze shows Paulus. The frescoes were restored by the National Museum. In the frescoes is every violent scene framed . In the thorn-crowning the executioners use all their strength to place the thorn-crown upon the head of Christ. One executioner has a wooden leg, which underlines his negative character

At a restoration in 1952-53 the communion table and the altar rails were moved. The altarpiece is Renaissance, given by hr. Hans Sørensen in 1604, probably from the same workshop as the pulpit. Pewter candelabres, given in 1677 with initials P N S G above M I D. A Romanesque granite font with vertical rope-decoration on the basin and foot like the fonts of the Gødvad-group. A newer baptismal brass bowl and a baptismal pewter jar from ab. 1800. A newer metal crucifix hangs in the choir arch. The pulpit was given by hr. Hans Sørensen and wife Karine Melchiorsdatter, 1612, with 1700s label-paintings. The sounding board was given 1655 by hr. Christen Erichsen and wife Else Hansdatter (restored 1932). Renaissance pews . A small Baroque chandelier in the choir given by Mette Hermansen (+ 1918), two in the choir given 1927 by farmer Jakob Overby. A church bell, given 1761 by Chr. Fischer of Allinggård, cast in Viborg by Caspar König . Many grave memorials, epitaphs, stone tablets. Upon the north wall hangs an epitaph with two fields, paid for by Søren Michelsen (+1597) and wife and by Hans Sørensen (+ 1632) and wife. Hans Sørensen was a brother of the priest Erik Sørensen,  whom Steen Steensen Blicher described in his short story: "Præsten i Thorning". At the churchyard is a Romanesque granite grave stone with a relief cross, and a copy of the stone where Hans Tausen held his first Lutheran sermon. The original stone is now at Viborg Museum.

Frescoes, violent scenes from the Passion

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Hinge (1333 Hængy); Astrup (*1453 Astrup); Frausing (*1231 Fraxing); Hedehuse (1683 Astrup HeeHuus, 1688 Heed Huuset); Frausinggård (1552 Frausing gord).

The outlawed Peder Jacobsen owned ab. 1300 estate in Hinge. Torsten Mikkelsen of Hinge is mentioned in 1333.

In Hinge lived for many years a "klog mand" (healer), Mads Weis, + 1839, who achieved jus practicandi and established a kurhus (health resort) for people who suffered from leg injury etc.

Listed prehistorics: 3 hills, of which two are in the forest.
Demolished or destroyed: 10 hills.

In a meadow at Hinge Sø was found a large-tooth bone harpoon from early Stone Age, and in Vesterkær a wooden animal-trap, probably from prehistoric time.

Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962; Axel Bolvig, Danmarks Kalkmalerier, 2002.

photo Hinge kirke: grethe bachmann


Friday, December 16, 2016

Sindal Old Church, Vendsyssel, North Jutland

Sindal Old Church lies upon a hill in the eastern outskirt of Slotved skov. The earliest part of the church is from the 1100s. In the late Gothic period 3-400 years later the nave was extended to the west which got a stepped gable. The porch was built at approximately the same time. The choir is built in granite ashlars, while the nave mainly is in monk bricks. At the eastern gable are two heavy supporting pillars. The nave and choir have beamed ceilings. The beams in the choir are some of the earliest things in the church and therefore not overpainted.

A reliquary was found in the medieval bricked altar table. It is now at Hjørring Museum. The
granite baptismal font is probably as old as the church itself, the baptismal dish is made in Nürnberg in the 1500s. The crucifix at the northern wall and the candelabres upon the altar table are from before the reformation. The altar chalice was given by the last selvejerbonde (yeoman) of the parish, judge Lars Fus in Taagholt in 1577. The altarpiece is a simpe Renaissance work, the painting is by the Skagens-painter Michael Ancher, who has copied the Spanish court-painter Velasquez' painting "The Crucifixion".

The pulpit from ab. year 1600 has the coat of arms of Anne Krabbe and her two husbands Aksel Viffert and Jerck Kaas. The same coat of arms are seen upon some lord-of- the-manor stools in the back of the church. These stools are the rests of the former pews which was set up by the owner of Baggesvogn, Anne Krabbe. Upon another stool is seen the coat of arms of Sophie Sandberg and Enevold Kruse and the year 1636. Enevold Kruse was Lieutenant colonel and field commander under Christian IV, he was killed in the battle at Lutter am Barenberg in 1626, nine years later his widow bought Baggesvogn, to which Sindal church belonged.

In 1964 the church went through a thorough restoration, new pews were bought and a new organ (Frobenius), and some of the old pews from Anne Krabbe's time were moved to the west end of the church.

Upon the church yard is a bell frame with two bells ,the oldest is made by the caster Peder Lavridsen in 1566, the other with the names Claus Unger and Barbara Galt is from 1696. The church yard is surrounded by an ancient granite boulder dike to the north and south, which is unchanged, but to the east and west the dike has been moved out to make place for a larger church yard.

The vicarage lies south of the church yard , a very pretty timbered building with a thatched roof. The present vicarage was built in 1928 upon the plinth of an earlier vicarage. A section of the old vicarage was rebuilt in the museum-garden in Hjørring as a part of the museum.

source: "Sindal Gl. Kirke - en beskrivelse", udgivet af Sindal Menighedsråd, 2005

Baggesvogn manor, Vendsyssel, North Jutland

Baggesvogn /GB
Baggesvogn is a manor in Vendsyssel, North Jutland. It lies in Sindal parish, about 14 km northeast of the town Hjørring. The timbered three winged plan was built in 1744. The mid wing and the side wings were bricked in the second half of the 1800s. The yellow washed main building has hipped tile-roofs, and the western main wing's entrance is highlighted with a triangular gable attic above the door.

Under a part of the main building are vaulted cellars which are named medieval, but they more probably origin from the second half of the 1500s. On the north side of the building are kept sections of the old moat system.

landscape by Baggesvogn/GB
The original name of Baggesvogn was Vorn, which means forest. The manor lies upon an old embankment and is still surrounded by moats on the east, north and west side of the main building. The entrance to Baggesvogn is via a bricked up dam, about 20 meters long. The dam is on both sides flanked by a low, heavy wall with doghouses in both ends.  The castle yard if laid with piksten (oval naturestones). The moats, the dam, the doghouses and the castle yeard are all protected.
piksten in a yard./wikipedia

landscape by Baggesvogn /GB
The fine  hilly manor landscape south of Baggesvogn is protected including the beech wood Baggesvogn forest with 100 year old trees. It is the northernest beech wood in Denmark.

Baggesvogn /GB
Baggesvogn was mentioned in the year 1454, when the owner was Hatis Gjødesøn, and in 1458 Jes Ulfsøn was mentioned as the owner of "Worn". The farm probably changed owner quickly since rigsråd Anders Banner of Asdal is the owner in 1462. He transferred Baggesgogn as a vasalry to Hans Bagge after whom the manor got its present name. Usually a vasalry agreement demands the vasal to swear his feudal lord fidelity and pay him regular taxes. This was not the case between Banner and Hans Bagge, which probably was due to a family relation between them, but the agreement can also be seen as a sign of the Banner family's tremendous power and wealth at this time. They were so rich that the income from a vasalry did not play any important role.

The main estate of the Banner family was the North Jutland manor Asdal, but Baggesvogn stayed in their ownership for several generations. The manor was inherited from father to son up to Erik Banner, who was a rigsmarskal for Christian III (1503-1559). At Erik Banner's death in 1554 Iver Krabbe took over Baggesvogn. He was married to Erik Banner's daughter Magdalene Banner. They left only one heir, the daughter Anne Krabbe.

Anne Krabbe spent her last years at Baggesvogn. At her death in 1625 she left no heir, but a very large debt. Baggesvogn was taken over by one of the main creditors, Frank Gøye, who in 1635 sold the manor to Sophie Sandberg. She enlarged the estates of Baggesvogn and gathered the land around the main farm. She left it to her two unmarried daughters, (Anne and Birgitte Kruse) who continued their mother's work. In 1669 they gave land to a newly established Baggesvogn hospital. (closed in the 20th century).The sisters possibly tried to manage more than they could cope. After Anne Kruse's death Birgitte Kruse had,because of debt, to assign Baggesvogn to Frederik Vind in 1692.

Baggesvogns history from 1700s till 1900s is marked by frequent ownerships, often because of a bad economy.

In 1997 Baggesvogn was sold to Ole T. Krogsgaard who stille owned it in 2013.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Serritslev church, Vendsyssel, North Jutland

Serritslev church, 5 km north of Brønderslev/wikipedia

Serritslev church lies in the village Serritslev in North Jutland close to a Bronze age hill Klanghøj . and with a bell frame upon the grave hill. The church was built in the middle of the 1100 in granite ashlars in the Romanesque style. The plinth is in granite ashlars with a bevelled edge. The porch was added on the north side in the 1500s in red monk bricks, it is whitewashed and has a tiled roof, while   nave and the choir have a leaden roof. Upon the northern wall are two original windows, and another upon the south wall of the choir. On the south side is a bricked up men's door. Both in the nave and in the choir on the south side are small square holes in the wall, and the same in the north side of the choir -  they are leper-windows from where the sick could get the sacrament.

In 1529 the church had to send their church bell to the king's canon foundry in Copenhagen, another bell from ab. 1550 is kept at Vendsyssels historiske Museum in Hjørring. The present bell is from the Middle Ages and was cast at A/S Jysk Jernstøberi in Brønderslev.

interior/ wikipedia
The interior was restored in the late 1950s. The granite font origins probably from the church building. The baptismal dish in brass has the year 1714, but it is supposed to be 100 years older. The baptismal jar is from 1985. The crucifix upon the south wall is from the Middle Ages and was originally placed above the choir arch. The altar table is in granite ashlars and the triptychon altarpiece in oak is from 1959. The pulpit is from 1626 and the entrance to the pulpit is in the inside wall of the choir.