Friday, December 21, 2012

Nørup church/Nørup kirke and Engelsholm, Vejle amt

The large whitewashed and lead roofed church in Nørup is situated high upon a hillside with a beautiful view to the landscape. It has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower to the west, a chapel from 1621 at the north side of the choir and a porch from 1733 at the south side of the nave. It is marked both out- and inside by Gerhard de Lichtenberg's thorough rebuild in 1732-33. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars upon a double plinth, attic profile above a bevelled edge. From original details is only a rounded arch window in the east gable of the choir. In the late Gothic period was to the west added a tower in monk bricks, which cross vaulted bottom room opens towards the nave in a pointed tower arch. The entrance to the middle storey is via a ladder to a hatch in the vault. The upper section of the tower is rebuilt with large rounded arch  glamhuller (sound holes) in 1732, when a lantern spire was placed above an onion dome. The vaulted chapel to the north is built in 1621 in granite ashlars and monk bricks at the request of fru Margrethe Lange, who let insert an octagonal cross vault in the choir. In Gerhard de Lichtenberg's big rebuild in 1732-33 the walls were enheightened and normalized in choir and nave, and the nave had two bays eight-ribbed vaults. At the same time a vaulted porch in new materials was built in front ot the south door, which was extended.

view from the church
The communion table is covered by panelwork  from ab. 1550. The altarpiece is a rich carving from 1732 in late Baroque i reliefs, influenced by Viborg cathedral's Baroque altarpiece and made by Jens Jensen. In the northeast corner of the choir is a closed chair with openwork carving. Baluster candelabres in late Renaissance ab. 1650. A low choir-counter, flanked by cerub-figures, and a small closure with a canopy -   a sounding board above the Romanesque granite font with a smooth half circular basin, partly inserted with acanthus-carvings, a pulpit with comfortably sitting figures (virtues) upon a cornice,  and a "heaven" above with a bird on its nest,  plus pews and dominating gallery - all this was made by Jens Jensen 1732-33. The pews and the galllery is painted with pietistic allegories and versified sentences. In the  west end of the nave a gallery with biblical pictures and the facade of an organ, given 1730 by grev F. Danneskiold. The present organ is from 1857. A large ship-model , a warship  1741 "Chr. VI". A klingpung (purse on a stick for collecting money) in brass from Rococo-period. At the opening to the chapel are carved wooden doors with iron grate. Bells 1) 1549 by master Henrich Tram 2) 1911 Åbyhøj.

You can see the interior in some drawings on this link:
Nørup kirke
view from the church

In chapel sandstone epitaph Margrethe Lange (+ 1622) and her 2. husband Knud Brahe (+ 1615) with kneeling figures. In the nave memorial tablet Christen de Linde (+ 1790), his wife Gedske de Lichtenberg (+ 1766) and their son Chr. de Linde (+ 1766). Memorial tablet for fallen soldiers from wars 1848-50 and 1864.  In the chapel a pretty black gravestone : Jens Kaas of Voergård (+ 1579) and Margrethe Lange with two figures: warrior and widow. Upon the churchyard a classisistic monument  for captain Niels v. Jermiin (+ 1807). Upon the northern section of the churchyard was according to Pontoppidan's Atlas buried a big number of Polish soldiers, who died in 1659 from contagious disease. At the gate of the churchyard to the west two pillars with sandstone lions carrying weapons. 

old stairs in the park

Engelsholm was exchanged by Chr. I in 1452 to hr. Timme Nielsen (Rosenkrantz)(+ before 1457). The son Erik Timmesen (Rosenkrantz)(lived still in 1514) extended the farm. After the death of his widow Margrethe Høg (after 1523) E. went to the daughter Bege Rosenkrantz, widow after Erik Nielsen (Lange) and her son Erik Eriksen (Lange) (+ 1572).  His son, the alchymist Erik Eriksen Lange the Young, owned E. together with his brother-in-law Knud Brahe (+ 1615), but the last mentioned became the sole owner - and since his widow Margrethe Lange died childless in 1622, the farm came to his brother's son Jørgen Brahe of Hvedholm (+ 1661), who in 1653 left the estate to his youngest son Preben Brahe (+ 1708). E. suffered much damage during the Swedish wars (svenskekrigene). Among the heirs the son captain Henrik Brahe (+ 1725) became the sole owner in 1709; his widow Henrikke Sophie Bille (+ 1731), deeded it to Gerhard de Lichtenberg, who did much for the estate and among other things established tileworks and a papermill. He deeded in 1754 E., Haraldskær and Kjeldkær plus taxes, churches and peasant farms, to his son-in-law Christen Linde of Ulsund (+ 1790), who in 1767 deeded the same farms to his brother-in- law, justitsråd Hans Henrik de Lichtenberg of Bidstrup. He sold in 1770 E. to kammerråd Nicolaj Duus, later of Hals Ladegård, who in 1774 deeded E. to generalkrigskommissær Marcus v. Hielmcrone (+ 1793), earlier of Herningholm. E was in an forced auction in 1780 bought by kammerherre Christian Frederik Tønne v. Lüttichau of Åkær, who in 1784 sold E. to kammerherre Niels Krabbe Juel of Billeshave. He deeded in 1786 E. to justitsråd H.H. Tønder (+ 1808), who in 1795 deeded it to captain Niels Jermiin of Lønborggård, who in 1796 had royal allowance to sell the estate without losing "the freedom of a main farm" (hovedgårdsfriheden) and allowance to do some outparcelling.
Later owners:  G. Krøyer,  Carl Adolph Rothe Bech, J.C. B Breum, Niels A. Høgdall, Jydsk Landhypothekforening (outparcelling). Main building sold to N Andersen and E.A. Thiel, Odense. After several owners in 1939 sold to: Sune Andersen and Frede Bording, who established højskole (high school). In 1952 selvejende institution (independent) Engelsholm Folkehøjskole ( folk high school).    

Engelsholm is to day high school of art and music.

Abildgårdsholt ( then in Bredsten parish);  was by the king deeded in 1549 to Erik Lange of Engelsholm, in 1638 Abildgård was a big farm under Engelsholm. It is probably the same farm, which later was called Engelsholm Ladegård. The building plus a dairy was probably built by grev F. Danneskiold-Samsøe, in  1797 it was sold out from Engelsholm and came to B.H.C.Riisbrich (+ 1814), whose son D.P. Riisbrich (+ 1831) inherited it. His widow Margrethe Sophie Mussman (+ 1864) and son B.C.Riisbrich (+ unmarried 1874) owned it after this, and the last mentioned's brother købmand J.C. Riisbrich (+ 1889) sold it in 1880 to Hans Aagesen Knudsen of Trøjborg. His son Andreas Birger Knudsen sold it in 1918 in the name Abildgård to A. Boye (+ 1924), whose son C.J. Boye took it over and in 1962 transferred it to his son Aage Boye.

Lihme was before 1306 sold to Ring kloster.

Ebbe Lille deeded in 1338 his mother-in-law Ose Thomasdatter's inherited estate in Søgård etc. to her brother Troels Thomsen. The small town S. was abolished by grev Fr. Danneskiold- Samsøe ab. 1730 and the land came under Engelsholm Ladegård.

Upon a natural, now forested bank, 800 meter east of Abildgård in Engelsholm Sønderskov, lies the castle bank Trældborg or Troldborg Ring which is a plane castle yard, about 1700 m2, surrounded by a circular bank, which is highest to the northwest, while it to the southeast only raises a little above the niveau of the castle yard.Outside the bank is to the west and north a flat moat, which has a depth of ab. 50 cm and a broadth of ab. 2,50 m. There are no findings from the castle bank, it is characterized as a typical prehistoric bygdeborg (a castle and refuge).  

West of Ravning bro were in 1953-56 found heavy oak poles from a bridge.
See special post on my blog Thyra: Ravning bridge

Listed prehistorics: 54 hills and 2 long hills, of which one southeast of Mørup is 43 m long. Several hills are large, two hills south of and 4 south-southwest of  Mørup, two west of Nørup, the very large Kæltringhøj in Gødding skov, one in a forest north of Gødding Mølle, Bredhøj north of Sødover, Sneglehøj southeast of Engelsholm and a hill by Lihme. A large section of the hills lie in a belt along Hærvejen (the army road, the oxen road), which went north-south through the parish.
Demolished or destroyed: a long dolmen at Lihmskov and 43 hills. At Mørup was a large, flat hill with a stone fence. Here was a stone with a wheel cross. An urn-burial-site from Celtic Iron Age is known from Mørup and a settlement from early Iron Age from Ny Nørup.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Nørup (ab. 1330 Nythorp); Mørup (1453 Mørderopp, 1524 Mørdrop); L. Lihme (1338 Lymæthorp); St. Lihme (1306 Lym, 1458 Lyme); Lihmskov (ab. 1450 Limeskov); Sødover (1452 Sødouerth, 1483 Sødowerde); Førstballe (1585 Forstbølle, 1610 Førstballj); Gammelby (1638 Gammellbye); Trollerup (1476 Troldorp); Tørrild (1578 Thørild); Småkær (1338 Smakyermark);  Søgårde (1338 Syøgaarth); Engelsholm (1452 Engylstholm, 1462 Enghelholm); Abildgård (1591 Abeldgaard); Gødding Mølle (1476 Gødingh mølle); Sillehus (1664 Sillegaard, 1688 Sielle huus); Gøddinggård (1476 Gødingh gordh).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964   

photo 2012/2007: grethe bachmann

Monday, December 17, 2012

Nebsager church/ Nebsager kirke, Bjerre herred, Vejle amt.

The whitewashed church in Nebsager has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south from 1869. The Romanesque building: the choir and nave, is built in travertine, the choir with no visible plinth, the nave with a not very prominent bevelled plinth . From original details is only trace of the rounded arched north door outside. In the High Gothic period ab 1400s, a cross vault was inserted in the choir with profiled ribs, and later, ab. 1450-75, the nave had three bays cross vaults upon protruding wall pillars. The bottom room with cross vault of the late Gothic tower opens towards the nave in a round arch, and the entrance to the middle storey runs straight in the north wall with an entrance through a flatcurved door. The upper section of the tower is widely re-walled 1762 and 1767 (iron digits), and the pyramidspire is probably from this period with the year 1762 in the weather wing. The porch was built in 1869 instead of an earlier porch. The building was restored in 1946, in the south side with new flatcurved windows with antique glass and with four supporting pillars on the north

New altarpiece 1999 painting by Sven Havsteen-Mikkelsen

(pdf) Nebsager kirke

Bricked communion table with panelwork 1946. The altarpiece is from 1893 with copy of a Carl Bloch-painting in a neo Gothic frame. Low, heavy Baroque candelabres ab. 1650. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix is in "Den gamle By" in Århus. A Romanesque granite font in Randers-type with lions in a very flat relief and a base-shaped foot with corner leaves. A south German dish, ab. 1575. An out-sawed board above the font (=fontehimmel) from 1700s. A Renaissance pulpit 1619 with the Evangelists in the corners and painted fields with very naive,but funny Evangelist-symbols from 1745, it was restored in 1945. Bell from 1865, Stallknecht, Horsens. 3 epitaphs from the 1600s  and a peasant-gravestone from 1760

Skerrildgård had probably the same owner as Tirsbæk from the beginning of the 1500s; in 1638 it belonged to Henrik Bille of Tirsbæk (+ 1655), then his son Knud Bille (+ 1684) and his son Henrik Bille (+ 1701). The heirs of the last mentioned deeded in 1703 S. to captain Henrik Brahe of Hvedholm, who in 1704 deeded it to Laurids Christensen Vesterhof of Kongstedlund. Johannes Lindberg sold the farm in 1707 to Peder Christensen Thonboe, who in 1798 got the deed from Laur. Vesterhof and in 1712 sold S. to justitsråd Søren Hofman (ennobled 1749; + 1771), who in 1744 deeded it to his son, the author konferensråd and amtmand Hans de Hofman (+ 1793), who in 1761 deeded S. to kancelliråd Jørgen Hvas de Lindenpalm of Tirsbæk.
Later owners: Hans Helmuth von Lüttichau; Jens Christoffer Bolvig; C.H. v. Wildenrath; Hans Buhl; Peter v. Paulsen; Marcus Nic. Monrad; True Sandberg; John Thornton jun. ; Joh. Heinrich Hoffmann ; Andreas Ludvig Bernth Købke; Hans Jacob Lindahl; Søren Therkelsen; Carl August Ruge; Hans Sørensen Tingleff. Owner in 1964 his widow fru K Tingleff.

The main building is listed in class B. Built ab. 1766. In the garden lies a castle bank , a low rectangular bank (ab. 18 x 20 m),surrounded by moats .

The væbner Jep Ræv in Nebsagerskov is mentioned in 1472 and 1477.

In the parish are mentioned some disappeared farms: Hønkær(1664 Høn Kier); Bjergsgård (1664 Bierisgaard); Hårup (1664 Haarup); and in Nebsager Hovgård (1683 Houffgaarden) and south of Nebsager Mølsted (1664 Mølsted). 

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 4 hills, of which two, Møgelhøj and Burhøj, were situated at Hornsyld.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Nebsager (1401 Niphags sogen, 1458 Nefsager); Hornsyld (1401 Hornsult, 1567 Huornsild); Hyllerød (1502 Høllervdh); Kavben (1664 Kaubechen, 1770s Kaubeen ); Nebsagerskov (1462 Næfsagerskogh); Sindkær (1683 Sind Kier Fald); Skerrildgård (1509 Skærildgardh, Skærilgardh).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964

Friday, December 14, 2012

Glud church/ Glud kirke, Bjerre herred, Vejle amt.

The church in Glud, which is mainly whitewashed, has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic porch to the south. The Romanesque building is built in raw granite with carved corner ashlars. From original details is the north door, which was brought to light in 1948, with inside kragsten below a horisontal lintel,  and outside three, inside two round-arched windows in the north wall of the nave. The outer south door is in use. The round choir arch is overplastered, and the nave has a flat, plastered ceiling, while the choir in the late Gothic period got two bays of cross-vaults. From the late Gothic period is the porch with a flat-curved door in a point-arched frame. Its gable is re-walled like the western gable of the nave, and the gable of the nave is not whitewashed  but has monk bricks and ashlars. Upon the northside of the choir and the nave are built buttresses. In the top of the choir gable and with small bricks is a small point-arched glare, which possibly reflects a Gothic gable top.

The front of the communion table has got a painted coat of arms and mirrored monogram, probably for Karen Marie Hofman (+ 1760). The altar piece is a pompous carving from 1654 by Peder Jensen Kolding, flanked by winding pillars and figures. In the fields are biblical  figures. It was decorated in 1665 by Hans Schütte and has upon the backside a parish clerk-list until 1881. The chalice and the desk were after the vicarage-fire 1740 repaired at the expense of Marie Margrethe Dreyer, the wife of Dean Poul Glud. Baluster-shaped Baroque candelabres ab. 1625-50. A good late Gothic choir arch crucifix. An ore-cast font-basin, cast by J Lehmeyer in Glückstadt 1702, upon a granite foot, shaped as a Gothic Gotland font-foot. A south German dish ab. 1575, later engraved initials INR  CVA. The pulpit is early Baroque and has biblical reliefs. It is according to a carved date from 1637 like the contemporary sounding board. A new Threemaster church ship "Christianshavn". A heavy octagonal iron-bound money block, probably from the 1600s. A klingpung in painted tin from the late 1700s (klingpung is a purse with a long shaft to collect money during church service). A colossal priest list in unpainted oak from ab. 1960 with rambling reliefs commemorating Johs Ferdinand Fenger. The bell, which hangs in a bell tower southeast of the choir, was cast 1578 by Matias Benninck in Lübeck.  Epitaphs from the 1700s and 1800s. In the porch a gravestone for the family Glud's ancestor, Dean Søren Andersen Jelling. In the dike towards east is a large portal with a flat-curved gate and a round-arched driving gate, all with tiled roofs.

Jensgård belonged to Oluf Mouridsen Krognos who willed it to Pernille Oxe, his widow Anne Hardenberg deeded the farm to Pernille in 1573. Pernille Oxe was the widow after Otte Rud of Møgelkær, and after her death in 1576 came J. to the son Johan Rud of Møgelkær, who died childless in 1609. The farm was inherited by his sister's son Knud Gyldenstierne, whose widow Sophie Lindenow brought it with Møgelkær to Henrik Rantzau (+ 1674 ;, when she died childless 1666 J. came to several heirs of hers - some of it came to her sister's son Christen Skeel of Bangsbo, and when he died unmarried in 1670, the farm was further divided. A small part came in 1671 to Ane Ramel, who after her husband kansler Peder Reedz's death in 1676 exchanged J. to Jacob Arenfelt, whose brother Jørgen Arenfelt of Rugård in 1690 deeded J. with estate to rådmand in Horsens, Chr. Nielsen Thonbo (+ 1707) whose sons Niels and Peder Thonbo in 1708 deeded 2/3 of J. and some estate to their brother Matthias Fogh (+ 1716). His widow Karen Marie Hofman (+ 1760) deeded in 1743 the farm with forest, taxes and estate to her son kancelllisekretær Thøger Hofman Fogh, after whose death in 1748 J. with additions came on auction and was sold to Marie Margrethe Dreyer (+ 1754), widow after dean P. Glud. Her son kancelliråd Jakob Glud (+ 1793) had in 1772 allowance on to be the owner of J. with freedom from nobility. His widow Marie Cathrine Juul (+ 1802) deeded in 1795 the farm to her son cand. theol. kammerråd Poul Glud (+ 1842), who in 1830 deeded J. with Glud, Rårup and Hjarnø church and full estate to the son exam. jur. kammerråd J.A.Glud (+ 1884). He sold it in 1867 with Glud church to his son cand. jur. justitsråd P.G.Glud; after his death in 1913 it came to his brother's son Poul Chr. Glud (+ 1944) and then to Poul Axel Glud (+ 1947) and to his brother M.C. Glud. (who was the owner in 1964). 

The main building and the farm building is one of the best preserved and grand half-timbered plan in Denmark from the middle of the 1700s. Main building built in 1753. Above the main door a sandstone-plate with inscription from Poul Glud and wife's take over of the farm in 1795. The farm buildings are contemporary with the main building. In the forest a memorial for the family Glud's 200 year old ownership of Jensgård.

Jon Kvas deeded in 1324 his estate in Glud to the parish clerk Niels Rampe; Lave Jensen of Holm deeded 1349 his estate in the same place to bishop Svend in Århus. 

Glud Museum, foto Google earth.
Glud Museum was established in 1911 by the folkemindesamler ( folklore-collector) Søren Knudsen, who managed it until his death in 1955. Various buildings are rebuilt here, like a farm from 1662, a house from Hjarnø, smitties from Jensgård and As, a fisher's house from Strandhuse, a large agriculture hall and a magasine. In the museum are considerable collections of both prehistorics and things from the almue, a very special and magnificent, wellkept collection of agricultural implements from Bjerre herred (district).

Upon a field in Sønderby, called Kirkeager (church field) were found monk bricks and a Roman stone lamp.

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish but there was a long dolmen, a hill with a stone chamber, another hill and two stone circles. Pontoppidan's Atlas claims that there earlier in the parish were many gravehills and "heathen altars" ( meaning dolmens).

At Snaptun were in low water found several things from the Ertebøllekulturen. At Marielund were found several graves from early Roman Iron Age.
A special stone for a bellows with a carved face mask from Viking period was found at Snaptun.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Glud (1324 Gluut); Over Glud (1493 Offuerglud); Øster Bisholt (1462 Bysholt, 1688 Østerbidsholt); Nørby (1403 Nørrebye); Østrup (1403 Ostorp; 1405 Østrup); Stenvadgårde (1546 Stenvad); Allesgårde (1664 Alliesgaaerd); Jensgård (ab. 1300 Ynes, Ines, 1462 Ænsgard).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964

photo Glud: grethe bachmann
photo Glud Museum: Google earth.