Thursday, July 30, 2009
Års Church, ab. 30 km north of Viborg
Års sogn, Års herred, Aalborg amt
Aars church was originally a simple Romanesque granite ashlar building with a choir and a nave with beamed ceilings. In the Middle Ages was added a tower in monk bricks and boulder and with re-used granite ashlars from the old west gable, a point arched archade was built from the nave to the tower which was covered with a cross vault. The tower has a new stairway -house to the north. At the nave's south door was earlier a porch, probably late Gothic, but this was demolished, when the church went through a radical extension in 1921-22. It is now a cross-shaped plan, where the old church forms the cross arms, while a new large church is built through it, mainly in monk bricks, with a flatlofted nave to the south and a choir with a half circular apse to the north - everything in neo-Romanesque design.
Of original details from the old Romanesque church are the north and east windows of the choir, besides a Romanesque window re-created in 1921 in the south wall of the nave , and in the new nave's western wall was placed a profiled Romanesque window cover-stone and the south door's original thympanum, which is decorated with a small circular cross.The archade between the old choir and the nave which was point-arched in the late Middle Ages, was again changed into a round-arch.
baptismal font and pulpit
A neo-Romanesque altarpiece built in monk bricks with a fresco altar picture. As a communion table is used a gravestone from 1651. In the new choir is a large crucifix from 1450-75 upon a new wooden- cross. Along the walls are pew-doors from the beginning of the 1600s. A font in light coloured granite is carved by the self-taught Kristian Andersen from Aars. It is an inspired re-creation of a Romanesque granite sculpture. The earlier baptismalfont, a wooden work in Louis XVI-style is kept at the loft in Flejsborg church. A walled neo-Romanesque pulpit. A section of pew-gables from 1666 are in the old nave. A church ship "København" from 1949. Church bells 1) from 1917, re-cast of a Berendt Bodeman-bell from 1620 2) from 1955. Various early inventory from the church is kept at Vesthimmerlands Museum.
NB: Renovation in 2004 with several changes. New bright colours. Artist Erik Heide .
See: Aars Kirke
At the churchyard a large runestone with inscription : "Asser satte denne sten efter sin herre Valtoke. Stenen forkynder at den længe vil stå her, den skal nævne Valtokes varde". ("Asser put up this stone after his master Valtoke. The stone tells that it will stand here for a long time, it will mention Valtoke's worth.")
Års, Town Square, sculptor and artist Per Kirkeby
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s.:
Pisselhøj (*1466 Pisselhøj, 1492 Piiselhøw); Tandrup (*1466 Tamdrup, 1474 Tambdrop); Tolstrup (1485 Tolstrup); Gundestrup (*1467 Gundestrup, 1474 Gwnderstrop); Sjøstrup(*1466 Siøstrup); Svenstrup (1611 Suenndstrup); Slemstrup (*1453 Slimstrup, 1492 Slimstorp, Slemstrup); Stenildvad(*1231 Stenwædlæ wat); Vester Oustrup (*1231 Ofhogstorp, *1495 Vester Owstorp); Øster Oustrup (*1408 Øster Oustrup); Pugholm (1532 Pugi(e)l, 1664 Pugholm); Rævhale (1501 Reffshale); Dybvad Vandmølle (*1498 Dybuat, 1511 Aarss Dybwad); Dalgård (1688 Dalgaard); Dalsgård (*1509 Dalsgaard).
Slemstrup was in 1492 burnt down together with Pisselhøj and Runslykke, while a war was on, probably during the rebellion in 1441. Both then and in 1492 Slemstrup belonged to Aagaard (Vester Han herred); in 1545 it was inherited by Mouritz Olufsen Krognos; in 1652 it was sold by Henrik Bille to Elsebe Sandberg, who in 1654 exchanged it to Peder Harbou. In 1667 Slemstrup belonged to the alchymist Valdemar Daa. In 1682 it was declared a farm, and it belonged to the Crown in 1683. In 1717 the king sold it to Hans Wassard of Testrupgård.
When digging out for the railway Hobro-Løgstør in 1891 were in Tolstrup found a clay-pot with silver things, mostly brudesølv (bride's silver) and 174 coins, mostly German, the earliest from the 990s.
Apple blossoms and jersey cows in Borremose
Listed prehistorics: 18 hills, two very large at Tolstrup. In Rævemosen at Gundestrup were in 1891 found the famous large silver bowl, Gundestrupkarret . On the plates of the bowl are relief figures with Celtic, Roman and oriental origin. Thought to date to the 1. century b.c. The original Gundestrupkar is at the National Museum in Copenhagen, but replicas are at Vesthimmerlands Museum in Aars and at Moesgård Museum in Århus.
Demolished or destroyed: One long dolmen, 3 round dolmens, a passage grave Bredhøj, 6 hills with stone cists, one contained 5 flint daggers and several clay-pots; a longhill and 136 hills, Mejlbyhøj contained 2 magnificent flint daggers, a bronze saw etc.. At Stenildvad was a group of 20 hills, which were abandoned in 1912. At Stenildvad was found one of the rare brandgrave (cremations) from Stone Age, containing two clay-pots and two arrow heads.
The parish is also rich in Iron Age findings. From early Iron Age are settlements examined north west of Aars at Tolstrup and Rasdal; prehistoric fields are known from Tandrup and graves from early Iron Age at Pisselhøj and north of Aars. In Borremose was found a bog body with a shoulder cape of skin. 3 German treasure findings are known from the parish: From Aars mark one finding with 15 brakteater and 6 pieces of betalingsguld (goldpieces used as a payment) and another finding with 3 brakteater, 2 gold coins and 3 pieces of betalingsguld, and from Stenildvad 8 brakteater and other gold things. At Tolstrup was besides the above mentioned coin treasure found a large circular buckle, 3 cross shaped necklace jewelry and several other silver things.
Borremosefæstningen/Borremosefortification: was a stronghold for the Cimbrians, established in Bronze Age, and used until about 125 b.c. During the Iron Age used as a settlement. The fortificated village Borremose , 4 km southeast of Aars was hidden in the moor for 2000 years. The archaeological excavations revealed a village surrounded by moats and an inner bank. A stone road lead to the village where the ground plan of the many longhouses from the Cimbrians period are seen. In the moor were found bog bodies, shoes, well-kept parts of clothes, weapons etc. Several of these findings are exhibited at Vesthimmerlands Museum.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961; Vesthimmerlands Museum; Moesgård Museum
photo: Års kirke/Borremose 2003 , 2007: grethe bachmann
Øls Church, 5 km southwest of Hobro
Øls sogn, Hindsted herred, Aalborg amt.
Øls Church is placed high upon a bank with a view to Onsild Ådal (river valley). In 1518 it was named Vor Frue Kirke. It has a Romanesque choir and nave, while the tower and porch are from the Reformation period. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars, both doors are preserved, the south door is in use, the north door has carved heads at the plinths. Two original windows are bricked-up to the north of the choir, two round-arched cover stones are bricked-up in the bottom of the southern porch wall. Inside are beamed ceilings, the round choir arch stands with various profiled kragbånd (oblong relief stones). The tower is built in re-used ashlars and monk bricks. The bottom room is not connected to the church and the outer walls are in the top very re-walled with iron-anchors. The tower has a pyramid spire.
Upon the ashlar-walled communion table is a cross, flanked by two late Gothic figures, Maria and Johannes (Mary and John), fine works from Claus Berg's North Jutland workshop. A simple Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin. South German baptismal bowl from ab. 1575. Pulpit from ab. 1625, a simple joinery. The upper pews are dated 1631. In the nave a small chandelier from the middle of the 1700s. Church bell from 1435, cast by Petrus de Randrusia with two pilgrim's signs: S. Mauritius and a bishop.
Romanesque grave stone with a lion and a crossbearing lamb.
A Romanesque grave stone with a majuskel inscription: THORI, a sitting lion and a crossbearing lamb. In the western side of the porch wall is a grave stone with a portrait. In the nave two flat gravtræer (grave-trees) from the 1600s (Maties Andersen, Mads Thøstisen.)
A carved head at the plinth of the north door
Øls Hovedgård (main farm) was in 1553 owned by Anne Andersdatter Skeel, widow after Malte Lauridsen Viffert of Albæk, in 1554 their children Albert Viffert and Dorte, who was married to landsdommer Peder Kruse , + 1562 were the owners. Dorte still lived in 1578, one of her daughters Maren Kruse was married to Godske Friis of Lundergård, who was the owner in 1590, Kirsten Kruse and her husband Ebbe Lauridsen Udsen are buried in Øls. They were probably both owners of Øls H. Laurids Ebbesen Udsen exhchanged in 1609 Øls H. to the Crown but got it back in 1623. It was probably among the estate which he in 1634 exchanged to grev Valdemar Christian, who exchanged it to the Crown in 1646. Various owners. In 1731 it was still a main farm/manor and was pawned to amtmand F.L.Woyda.
Tostrupgård or Tostrup Hovgård was in 1531 owned by Erik Steen, who still lived in 1580. The owner in 1595 and 1610 was Johan Brockenhuus, a daughter's son of Erik Steen's cousin. In 1634 it was exchanged from Laurids Ebbesen Udsen to grev Valdemar Christian, who in 1646 exchanged it to the Crown. Various owners. In 1918 sold to Hobro Kartoffelmelsfabrik, later several owners.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Øls (* 1469 Ølss); Hald Tostrup (1611 Hal Taastrup); Tostrup Hovgård (1664 Thaastrup Gaard).
Listed prehistorics: A long dolmen without chamber in Øls krat, 19 hills and an area with hulveje (sunken roads) down to Gl. Onsild bro (bridge).
Demolished or destroyed: 26 hills, two dolmens Store & Lille Stenstue east of Ølst village. - From Kjeldsminde is known a Bronze Age grave with finding: 22 cross-shaped bone-buttons.
In front of the altar in the church was once a marble stone, probably a grave stone with a rune-inscription which was never interpreted.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961.
photo Øls kirke 2005: grethe bachmann
Volsted Church, 18 km south of Aalborg
Volsted sogn, Fleskum herred, Aalborg amt.
The small church without a steeple in the northern outskirt of Volsted contrasts with the mighty circular shaped village around Denmark's largest forte ( common grounds of a village). The Romanesque church in granite ashlars was built ca. 1150. First of all it is remarkable with its stone carved reliefs which in 1873 were moved to the porch. A carved inscription says that "Goti fecit" (Goti built) and since both name and figures are similar to Gjøl Church in Vendsyssel this is a unique case where the stone mason is known and probably also the building master of two 1100s Danish village churches.
The simple interior is like the church itself. The Romanesque character of the church is marked by the flat wooden ceiling and the choir arch with finely shaped kragsten (oblong reliefstones). The pulpit is a rare late Gothich stool probably from the period around the reformation. (similar to the one in Frejlev Church ). A small church bell from 1732 cast by Laurids Strahlborn was a gift from Anna Lasson. In the choir vault are found fragments of frescoe ornaments. Upon the Romanesque communion table in granite ashlars is a simple carved wooden altar piece from ab. 16725 with a new painting, a Ruben-copy from 1855 "The crucifixion". A Romanesque granite font.
Surrounding the entrance portal at the porch is a fine collection Romanesque sculpture. "The Fall of Man", a wild boar, a bishop and God's Lamb. Cover Stone above the red door is decorated with a strong lion, maybe the symbol of the Evil , which can only be conquered by Christianity. In the east wall of the porch are three ashlars - probably from the walled-in woman's door on the northside - a bird, a fox and a dog and two saints facing one another.
the village Volsted is Denmark's largest and most undisturbed by-plads (forte).
Names in the Middle Ages:
Volsted (*1355 Wolstedt, 1455 Wolsted).
Listed prehistorics: 20 hills, of which 5 south of the village are rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: 14 hills, besides 3, which contained stone graves, two were probably passage graves.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961; Niels Peter Stilling, Danmarks kirker, 2000.
photo Volsted kirke 2003: grethe bachmann
Visborg Church, 4 km northeast of Hadsund
Visborg sogn, Hindsted herred, Aalborg amt
The impressive church in Visborg, situated upon a hill with a slope to the south and west,has a rather unusual building history, since the original Romanesque church is almost totally rebuilt during the Renaissance period. It has the rests of a Romanesque nave with a tower from the Reformation period and a choir-part, sacristi, chapel and porch, probably all from the 1590s. The tower has a cross-vaulted bottom room and a flat-curved tower arch. A very pretty flat-curved window to the west shows a close connection to the porch-portal in Astrup Church, dating the tower to the 1540s. The building was renovated in 1943.
The rich inventory is mainly marked by the Renaissance. The altar piece on the re-built communion table is from ab. 1600, given by Sophie Bille with the coat of arms of Rosenkrantz, Seefeld and Bille. The original painting was brought back after a renovation. Altar-rails in wrought iron from ab. 1600. In the choir are two pairs of choir-stools, each with four seats and carved gable-planks with extraordinally coarse animal figures in high relief. South German baptismal bowl from 1575 with the Habsburg-coat of arms. Pulpit from the same time and with the same coat of arms as the altarpiece. The pews are from various periods 1) 1570 with the coat of arms of Johanne Nielsdatter Rotfeld of Havnø ; 2) from 1574; 3) from 1587 with the coat of arms of Jakob Seefeld and wives; 4) from 1636.
A glazed tile with the year 1585 was found in the floor in the renovation in 1943, it is now on the wall of the nave. Small chandelier from 1721, given by ritmester Jakob Kjærulf. A door wing is between the porch and nave , iron bound with the year 1592. A painting "The Coppersnake in the Desert" from the 1700s hangs in the chapel. Church bells: 1) from the beginning of the 1400s, small without inscription; 2) from 1672, given by Birgitta Urne and Claus Seefeld. Church Ship: Warship "Hendrik Harren" from ab. 1850.
The church is rich in burials, under the sacristi and the choir were large burial vaults, which have now been cleared. In the sacristi are sandstone coffins with colonel Andreas Arenstorff, + 1764, and his wife Sophie Marie von Schiebel, + 1761. From earlier funerals are several plates and some armour-pieces on the walls. A a coffin plank - which was a piece from a wardrobe-chest from 1585 with the coat of arms of Oluf Krognos and Anna Hardenberg - is at Aalborg Museum. Above some wooden-grating doors is a large family-group picture painted in 1600 imaging Jakob Seefeld and his wives and children. Several gravestones, for families Seefeld, Rosenkrantz, Bille from the 1600s.
Visborggård belonged in 1343 and 1351 to Anders Nielsen, in 1401 to Jens Nielsen Munk (Vinranke-Munk), possibly Anders Nielsen's brother; in 1408 and 1422 to their sons Niels Andersen and Mads Jensen (Munk). After Mads Jensens' death ab. 1442 it came to his son hr. Jens Madsen Munk, + 1501, who was the owner from 1445. After him V. went to his son's sons Jens and Jakob Munk, but they died childless, and V. with 37 farms and 16 bol (small farms) came to their mother Inger Andersdatter Bjørn, married 2) with Jens Thygesen Seefeld , + before 1537. In 1534 Visborggård was burnt down by Skipper Klement and his peasant army. After Enevold Jensen Seefeld , + 1557, it came to his son Jakob Seefeld, + 1599, . After his death his widow Sophie Bille was the manager of his many estates until her death in 1608. After the family Seefeld during the 1600s various owners , families Urne, Svane, Benzon, Arenstorff, etc. Since 1938 Visborggård is a home for the mentally sick.
Visborggård, the sandstone-portal
The main building is listed in class A. It is surrounded by broad moats. A three-winged plan, dominated by the south wing, a fine Renaissance-building, built in 1575-76 by Jakob Seefeld. The walls are red monkbricks upon a tall granite-plinth which stands directly in the moat without a bank, except around the gable and the side-winges where is an area between moat and wall. The facade is flanked by octagonal corner-towers. The tall cellar has windows in the shape of arrow slits. A rich sandstone portal in high Renaissance with plate with the coat of arms of Jakob Seefeld and his two wives decorates the entrance gate . Above the gate was once an enormous gate tower, and all walls had cornices; the disappeared gables were decorated with sandstone. Fragments are kept in a cellar-room at Visborggård. Jakob Seefeld's building plan was very impressive, the still preserved wing was connected to two side wings, an eastern and western - and the legend says - probably true -that it had seven towers, besides the others were stairway towers in the inside corners, and at the northern gables were corner towers . The stairway towers are still traceable.
A painting at V. (portrait of Claus Seefeld) from 1668 shows the towers equipped with spires and the building with weather vanes in the form of jumping deer. The original side wings were probably demolished ab. 1730. Various changes during the years. Some loft-paintings are preserved . A terracotta-fireplace is at the National Museum. Opposite the bridge which replaced the original drawbridge are two sandstone bears with the coat of arms of the family Arenstorff.
The sandstone-portal and a French-inspired Baroque-garden are the attractions of Visborggård. Public access to the court yeard and the garden.
Havnø was in 1468 owned by hr. Jens Madsen Munk (Vinranke-Munk) of Visborggård , +1501. With his daughter Eline it came to Hans Lykke , + before 1511, and his children hr. Peder Lykke, + 1535, and Erik Lykke, whose widow Anne Kaas (Sparre-Kaas) had it by law 1541. Their son Hans Lykke, + 1553, owned Havnø, and after him his widow Johanne Nielsdatter Rotfeld of Eskær, + 1577, and son Erik Lykke, + 1602. After his widow Dorothea Krabbe Havnø came to Iver Christoffersen Lykke between 1609 and 1614. Various owners, families: Seefeld, Krag, Rosenkrantz, Benzon, Sehested etc. Some outparcelling.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Visborg ( ab. 1343 Wisburgh, 1351 Wisborgh, 1401 Wæsebwrgh); Glerup (*1456 Glerup); Strandkær (1552 Strandkiergord); Glargårde (1571 Glashytten, 1664 Glargaarden); Møllegårde (1664 Møllgaarden); Visborggård *1456 Wiszborggaardt); Havnø (*1468 Haffnøe, Hannøe, 1477 Haffneøø, Haffuenøø) .
The Thing was earlier at Visborggård, in ab. 1680 and 1743 it is mentioned in Visborg By. (town)
Upon the road between Visborg and Visborggård is a small hill with trees and a memorial stone for the white horse which the king, Christian X, rode across the border on the tenth of July in 1920. (Genforeningen).The owner of the horse was grev Danneskiold-Samsøe of Visborggård.
Listed prehistorics: One longhill and 22 hills.
Demolished or destroyed: 16 hills
Important kitchen middens from Ertebølle-kulturen are known from Havnø (Lundebakke, Visborg Bjergbakke). In a moor by Glerup was an important sacrifice-finding from Bronze Age . Several stone graves from early Roman Iron Age, one at Møllebakken in Visborg and a weapon-grave at Glerup.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961.
photo Visborg kirke/Visborgård 2003-2007: grethe bachmann
Vilsted Church, 10 km south of Løgstør
Vilsted sogn, Slet herred, Aalborg amt.
Two Chessboard patterns
Vilsted Church has a Romanesque choir and nave, a Gothic western addition, a styltetårn (open bell tower), stairway house and a porch from 1750 on the south side of the addition. A medieval chapel was demolished. The Romanesque part is in granite ashlars ,but strongly re-walled. In the south walls of the choir and nave are two ashlars with chessboard patterns. In the north wall of the nave is a walled door and an original round-arched window preserved.
In the 1400s the choir got one and the nave two cross vaults. The tower is narrow and open to the west. It has two heavy pillars connected by a high pointed arch with the bell-work. In the eastern part of the south wall of the nave is a point-arched walled archade from the disappeared chapel. The porch is partly rural Baroque with a fine curved gable. Tower and porch are white-washed while the other parts of the church are blank granite walls. Upon the tower is a weather vane from 1773.
The Communion table is granite, covered in a "Renaissance"-panel from 1934. The decoration upon the altarpiece is since 1934 a medieval choir crucifix from ab. 1475. From a Renaissance altar piece from 1615 is preserved a part of the large field's painting upon wood. The granite font is Romanesque. The baptismal basin is South German from ab. 1575. The pulpit from ab. 1675.
Flowers by the church dike
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Vilsted (1338 Wælst, 1342 Wilsteth); Haldrup Gårde (ab. 1525 Haldrvp); Troldbjerg Gårde
(1542 Troelberiig); Hyllestedgård (*1504 Høllestet); Grønninggård (ab.1525 Grønen, 1579 Grenning, 1611 Grønenn); Vester Strett (1407 Strætæ, 1573 Vesterstret).
In the village Vilsted's western outskirt was in the Middle Ages a fortificated farm which possibly belonged to the famous drost Laurids Jonsen Panter , + 1340; his son Peder Lauridsen Panter, + ab. 1360, who owed 140 mark silver to king Valdemar IV Atterdag because of his estate in Vilsted. In 1407 the estate was bought by queen Margrethe I and the fortification was probably demolished after that, while the estate itself was endowed to Poul Stigsen Hvide who still was there in 1438. In 1597 the vasalry was placed at Aalborghus Castle.
Vilsted Sø (Nørresø) (lake) was dried out in the 1900s, but is now re-created and has become a Nature Reserve.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961.
photo Vilsted kirke/Vilsted Sø 2006: grethe bachmann
Veggerby Church, 12 km south of Nibe
Veggerby sogn, Hornum herred, Aalborg amt
The high-placed church in Veggerby has a Romanesque nave, choir and apse, built in granite ashlars. To the north are two original windows preserved, one in the choir and one in the nave. A window cover stone with runes is kept at Års Museum. Both doors of the nave are walled, but in the choir is a priest-door with a half-circular thympanum with a cross-relief. The western tower is from the Gothic period, the bottom in granite ashlars, the top in monk bricks. The vaulted tower room is now a porch with a southern entrance. The ashlar walls of the church are blank, the top of the tower is white-washed and the roofs tiled.
The Communion table is granite and chalk ashlars. A Triptychon altar piece is from ab. 1590 with a painting from 1765 (Hartvig Ahlefeldt). In the foot piece are the coat of arms of Otto Henrik Juel and Sophie Dorothea Bille, (restored 1936). A painting upon the wall by A. Lund from 1900 was once in the altarpiece. Romanesque granite font with three lion figures. Baptismal basin of Nürnberg-type from the end of the 1500s. New pews and a western gallery with an organ.
Romanesque granite font with Christ and three lions.
A butterfly in the churchyard and ponies by the church
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Veggerby (*1429 Wygherby, 1442 Vigerby); Kirketerp (1516 Kirkitorp); Bradsted (*1487 Brasted, 1507 Bradsted); Hjeds (*1424 Heisze, 1445 Hietze); Lyngsø (*1463 Liungszø, 1495 Lyøngsøø); Åstrup (1406 Asdorp); Torndal (*Tuoldall, 1516 Tooldall, 1610 Tornndall); Busted (1456 Budsted); Kalstrup (*1429 Kalstrop); Risgård (1664 Riszgaard); Højris (1610 Høffris).
Fru Elsif Christiernsdatter Vendelbo gave in 1442 her farm/manor Kalstrup and Kalstrup Mølle (Mill) to Helligåndshuset in Aalborg (= Kloster); in 1445 her son Jep Axelsen promised to let the Kloster have the estate without problems, but in 1537 the Kloster had to carry on a lawsuit with Gabriel Gyldenstierne of Restrup about Kalstrup and Kalstrup Mølle.
A farm/manor Torndal was among the estate which Jørgen Prip was endowed with by the Crown in 1551. After his death his widow took over the endowement; in 1662 it was sold together with Pandum (to which it probably belonged ) to Ove Juul.
Bustedgård was in 1563 pawned by the Crown to Albert Maltesen (Viffert) of Albæk.
In a sand bank in Veggerby was in 1885 found 224 coins from Christoffer II's ruling period.
One long hill and 71 hills. An impressive group of 9 hills of which the long hill . The group is named Hjeds Sekshøje. Larger hills are fx Aalborghøjene, Store Tulshøj at Byrsted and a hill by Åstrupgårde. One of the hills contained a Stone Age chamber.
Demolished or destroyed: Several Stone Age graves and 78 hills. At Byrsted Hede were dike-banks and wells from Celtic Iron Age. From Byrsted is known a rich grave from early Roman Iron Age with 2 silver cups and a bronze vessel.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961.
photo Veggerby kirke 2006: grethe bachmann