Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vigersted church/ Vigersted kirke, Ringsted herred, Sorø amt.

The church in Vigersted is inaugurated to Sct. Nicolaus of Myra. It has a Romanesque nave with a Gothic longhouse-choir, tower and porch. The Romanesque nave -  from which the longwalls and parts of the west gable still stand - is a granite boulder building with limestone ashlars around windows and doors. The demolished Romanesque choir has had an apse, from which curved ashlars with point-arched friezes are seen in the present east gable, the south door is still in use, while the bricked-up north door is vaguely visible. The nave had four windows, of which the two western are visible above the vaults; they are bricked-up from outside. Before the re-build of the choir and the building of the tower the nave was in the first half of the 1400s equipped with two bays cross vaults, and the west gable was raised with steps and four glares;  they are visible from the middle storey of the tower.  The west tower was added ab. 1450 in bricks with a stairhouse to the north, which originally had access from the tower room. The porch to the south is from ab. 1500 with a storey-divided glare-gable in sydsjællandsk (South Zealand) type and with old roof work , to the west a roof in monk bricks. Above the door is a carved human limestone head. The earliest extension is the longhouse-choir, which has two large point-arched windows to the south. Its gable has a rich glare-decoration in midtsjællandsk (Mid Zealand) type with a large circle-glare and relief-cross. The east section of the choir inside the church is separated for a sacristy with a crossing cupolar barrel-vault in limestone. Upon the north side of the building are two and on the southside one buttress with wall-curves. In the National Museum  is a piece of a glazed floor tile from ab. 1300, and in the south wall of the church are various tiles, fx a lily-frieze from ab. 1550.

 The front of the communion table is from 1606 with original paintings upon a thin chalk-base. The altar piece is High Renaissance 1601, a Roskilde work, related to the altar piece i Herslev church. Altar chalice from 1689. A strange wine-container from 1639. Altar candelabres,Baroque with  a ribbed baluster shaft, ab. 1650-1700. A late Gothic monstrans house, a square-sided oak-block with a roof-shaped top and iron fittings. A Romanesque granite font in Slagelse-type with a fourleaf-clover basin. A Netherland baptismal dish from ab. 1650. A choir arch crucifix, late Gothic ab. 1525 ( two figures from the group are now in the National Museum). A pulpit in early bruskbarok, ab. 1630, related to the pulpit in Jystrup church, but not made by the same master. A parish clerk stool with parts of pew-gables fom 1582.  In the door of the nave a door wing fromb. 0-50 with a contemporary door-ring.

Bells 1) 1515 inaugurated Sct Nicolaus, cast by Johs. Fastenove, according to a legend the caster killed the worker when he had added  too much silver to the ore. 2) 1618, cast by Hans Kemmer, with coin-print and high reliefs. 

church barn
At the east side of the church yard a late medieval kirkelade (church barn), it was from 1913 owned by the National Museum - and an almost contemporary church yard-portal with a driving gate and door.

In the nave and the tower room frescoes from about 1450, restored in 1890-92; in the porch frescoes from ab. 1500; restored 1928.   


In Humleore skov ( forest) lies a very large castle bank Humleoregård, in the old days called "King Humble's Castle", which was formed by that an isthmus surrounded by  lake was cut off from the land to the north  in a twisted moat. Upon the bank are faintly seen in several places some heavy foundations of granite boulders, and in the surface are found debris of bricks. South of the bank is a dam with a road which lead to the castle. It might have been a refuge-castle.

At Vigersted was a sacred spring, Sct. Vilhelms kilde, where people came on Midsummernight's Eve to be healed.

Ortved mølle (mill) is mentioned in the 1300s. It belonged together with Ortved Holger Gregersen Krognos, who pawned the estate to Esbern Krabbe and later to Eskil Falk of Vallø. In 1490 is mentioned Per Andersen of Ortved.

Listed prehistorics:  North of Vigersted is an impaired long dolmen, at Stavedsbro a stone cist, at Ortved 4 hills, of which Sanneshøj in Ortved skov is the largest.
Demolished: 2 possible stone graves and 21 hills, mostly south and southwest of Ortved.  

Names from the Middle Ages: Vigersted (1316 Wikærstath); Ågerup (1257 Aggarthorp); Snekkerup (ab. 1300 Sneckietorp); Ortved (1421 Ortuith).

Source: Trap Danmark, Sorø amt. 1954 

photo Vigersted June 2012: grethe bachmann

Haraldsted church/ Haraldsted kirke, Ringsted herred, Sorø amt

Addition to article from 1/9 2011 about  Haraldsted church

Excerpts from article: 
The bottom section of the western tower, which possibly contains older sections, are built in mixed material, limestone and bricks, and it seems to be dated 1478 in an inscription in limestone on the south wall: "Dominus Ihesus Christus, alpha et omega, deus et homo, Maria, Johannes, sanctus Petrus, Herluf Skave, Fru Ølgoer, dominus Ericus Laurencii, Jep Andersen, Matis Tote. Anno Domini mcdlxx octavo."

The walled communion table is covered in a panelwork from ab. 1550-75 with a  painted Renaissance-decoration, which copies intarsia around  a medaillon with a portrait of a man and a woman in contemporary dress. The altarpiece is a carved work in Renaissance from 1601, probably made by a Roskilde master. Altar chalice from ab. 1400, remade 1674. Candelabres in  silver plate from 1719. Altar crucifix  from the 1600s, probably from a coffin. In the footpiece of the altarpiece is an enamel painting  from 1700s, given to the church in 1817. The monstranshouse from 1527 is a rich late Gothic woodcarving with an upper part with spire. Cup-shaped ore cast font by the caster Olaf Henriksen Kegge. The baptismal bowl is from 1665-66. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix with a hovering angel from ab. 1525. The pulpit in Renaissance from ab. 1625 was probably made by Hans Holt in Køge or Copenhagen.

sea shells in the tower wall
human head
pulpit , Renaissance 1625.

Altar 1601

Ore cast  font

bricked-up door
monstranshouse 1527 , top

fresco, ab. 1525, Maria i solgissel (sunbeams)

crucifix 1600s
kirkebøsse (cash box)

photo Haraldsted June 2012: grethe bachmann 

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sæby church/ Sæby kirke, Harre herred, Viborg amt.

The pretty little church in Sæby lies upon a hillside east of Glyngøre and with a view to Grynderup sø (the new lake). It has a Romanesque choir and nave and a new porch to the south. The original building-sections are in granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth. Both doors are preserved, the north door is bricked-up. Several Romanesque windows were re-opened in a restoration 1951-52. The finely proportioned choir-arch has profiled kragsten. The inside of the church has a flat, beamed ceiling. The porch in yellow bricks was rebuilt in 1951. The church has blank walls and a tiled roof. At the east gable is a timbered bell-tower.

dike and old trees
two bells in timbered bell-tower.

view to Grynderup sø
The front of the communion table is a joinery in Renaissance style with paintings from 1656, the table itself was re-newed in 1951. In the carved Renaissance altarpiece were in 1952 inserted paintings by Ingolf Røjbæk. An old Last Supper-painting hangs in the nave. Furthermore is in the church kept a section of altar paintings from 1854. The altar chalice was given by vasal at Skivehus, Ebbe Jacobsen Ulfeldt and fru Mette Grubbe 1650. New altar candelabres. A Romanesque granite font in West Jutland type (thybo). A new baptismal dish. A pulpit in pine-wood with infills of folding work and carved year 1593, decorations from 1656, repaired 1952.  New pews. Two early Gothic figures are now kept in the National Museum. A late Gothic bell with unreadable signs.

In the parish was some sand drift which according to Pont. Atlas began ab. 1747 , but has stopped long ago.

While digging peat in a bog at Grynderyp were in 1842 found 21 coins, of which: 13 socalled brakteats from Hedeby (Haithabu) from the 900s and 7 Arab dirhemes from 892-907;  besides a small silver bar and 18 pearls in rock crystal, glass and alike.

Listed prehistorics: 4 hills
Destroyed or demolished: 27 hills.

Two kitchen middens in the northern part of the parish. In a moor at Grynderup were found two necklaces from Bronze Age.   

Names from the Middle Ages:
Sæby (1402 Sæby); Grynderup (1424 Grundrupp, 1468 Gryndorp); Holmgårde (1474 Hollom gordt); Snabe (1547 Svob, 1683 Snabe); Kærgård (1524 Kiergardt); Bækkegård (after 1448 Bæksgaard, 1684 Gløngbechgaard).

Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.

photo: Sæby kirke september 2012: grethe bachmann

Friday, October 05, 2012

Durup church/ Durup kirke, Harre herred ( in Salling), Viborg amt.

foto: stig bachmann nielsen,
Durup church has a Romanesque kernel, a choir and nave - and additions like a porch to the north, a tower to the west and another porch at the southside of the tower. The choir and nave are in granite ashlars upon a profiled plinth. Romanesque windows in the east gable and the north side of the choir are bricked-up, and also the north door and the disturbed south door. The inside of the church has a beamed ceiling, the choir arch is re-bricked and extended. The church had strong restoration and a partly rebuild in 1930-31. At this restoration the late Gothic western tower was replaced by a new and larger tower, which bottom room was in connection to the nave via a breakdown of the old gable. A new porch was built on the south side of the tower and the northern and possibly late medieval porch in monk-bricks was furnished as a burial chapel. The additions are white-washed, and the church is partly roofed with lead and tile.

An ashlar with a relic from the disappeared medieval altar table was found in the old tower's brickwork in 1930 and now lies in front of the entrance door. The present altar table in oak wood is from 1931. A contemporary altarpiece with a painting by J. Th.Skovgård. An altar piece from the 1800s with paintings of the crucified and the Evangelists hangs in the nave. New altar candelabres.A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin. The baptismal dish was given in 1686 by parish priest Alexander Jacobsen and wife Dorthea Jensdatter. A pulpit in Renaissance with paintings of Christ and the Evangelists, repaired 1931. The sounding board lies on the loft ( in1962).  Series pastorum from 1931. To the west a gallery with organ. A bell in cast steel from ab. 1870 .

Damgård in Toustrup gave fru Karen Nielsdatter in 1445 as a sjælsgave (soul's gift) to Dueholm kloster.

Mads Lykke is in 1511 mentioned of Durup. In 1660 Durupgård belonged under the manor Hegnet, also in 1791, but at that time it was divided into 3 farms.

Listed prehistorics: 4 hills, among those the large Toustruphøj, Tinghøj, where the herredsting (the District-Thing) was held once, and a third large hill, all at Toustrup. 
Destroyed or demolished: 47 hills, almost all in the southern part of the Parish, from one of those origins a grave-find from early Bronze Age with sword, bronze bowl and a gold bracelet.

 Names in the Middle Ages: Durup (1453 Durup); Toustrup (1436 Tostrup, 1474 Towstrop); Durupgårde (1524 Dwrvpgardt), Duruplund (1524 Lwndt, Lwnndt) ; Vilholm (1554 Willholmæ); Søndergård (1525 Søndergardt); Havgård (1524 Hoffgardt) Damgård (1445 Damgord). 

Source: Trap Danmark 1962

photo September 2012: grethe bachmann, stig bachmann nielsen, 

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Høbjerg church/ Høbjerg kirke, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt.

Høbjerg kirke, stig bachmann nielsen,

Høbjerg church has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic tower to the west, a porch from the 1700s to the south and a burial chapel from 1723 to the east. The original building is in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. The two straight-edged doors are kept, the bricked-up north door has a roof-shaped lintel. The south and north wall of the choir have each an original window with a monolit-lintel, and in the north door is bricked-up a bipartite lintel from a third window. The tower is in raw granite boulder and monk bricks with a round tower arch and cross vault. It was heavily re-walled in 1747 (acc. to carved year and IFR AML for Janus Friedenreich and Anne Margrethe Linde), and several peepholes and the strongly swung pyramid spire are from the same year. A secondary west door was destroyed by the furnishing of a burial chapel, there is a free staircase to the north. The burial chapel at the gable of the choir is built in re-used ashlars and tiled. It opens to the choir in two round arched portals with iron grated doors. The portals are towards the choir framed by stucco decorations and a similar decoration is found on the vaults of the chapel and upon the east wall, where it is shaped as two similar epitaphs,  flanked by large animal figures. Outside in the gable is a walled kartouche surrounding two sandstone reliefs with names and coat of arms of JFR and AML and the year 1723. This married couple has probably also extended the triumph arch, let insert the present windows and built the porch. The roofworks above choir and nave are medieval and in oak, above the burial chapel from 1723.

foto: stig bachmann nielsen,
The white-washed altartable is  bricked up on the eastern wall of the choir. The altarpiece is a newer painting. The earlier fine altarpiece, which origins probably from Skanderborg slot, is now in the National Museum. It was equipped with limestone tablets with carved inscriptions by Peder Trellund, schoolmaster in Ribe. (1586). A late Gothic chalice with newer cup. An oblate box with carved P C A B 1673 (Peder Charisius and wife Anne de Binde). A wine jar from ab. 1850, Royal Copenhagen porcelaine. Alter candelabres ab. 1625. A Romanesque font in granite with lions, a replica of the Sjørslev-group. A big smooth baptismal dish in brass with a crowned mirror monogramme I F A M L 1720 and a pewter dish with the same monogramme and the year 1737; a contemporary baptismal jar in pewter. A small bronze crucifix upon a metal-dressed wooden cross from the 1700s in the choir-arch. The pulpit is from ab. 1600 in four bays with straight-edged fields and Tuscany corner pillars, secondary Evangelist paintings and inscription. Pews from 1942, to the east in the nave a couple of Renaissance gables; psalm-number tablets upon hinges from 1800s. an iron-bound oak coffin from 1600s.

Chandeliers: 1) "Ianus Friedenreich til Palstrup og frue Anne Margrethe Linde givet til Høybjerg kirke 1734."  2-3) from ab. 1930.  A church ship, canon sloop, "Prøven", "Erindring af (rådmand) I.P. Hald 1823 (Århus)". Church bell cast 1733 by C. Konig, Viborg, given by the same as the chandelier. Under the choir is a closed burial with  Charisius and wife. The coffin plates and weapon- fittings hang on the north wall of the nave. The entrance to the Friedenreich-chapel is closed by iron-grated doors with brassband and cast coat of arms: In the chapel are 10 coffins (2 for children) The chapel is for the familiy Friedenreich, de Mylius, Linde.

The manor Palstrup belonged in the Middle Ages to Tvilum kloster and in 1483-86 to Las Braad. In 1547 it belonged to Frants Dyre (+ 1569), whose widow Kirsten Mogensdatter (Mur-Kaas) in  1571 sold it to Ove Juul (+ 1604), who was married to Frants Dyre's sister's daughter Johanne Kaas (Sparre-Kaas); it was inherited by the son Frans Juul and the son-in-law Holger Bille, who owned it in 1613.  In 1630 Johan Rantzau exchanged it to his father-in-law Christoffer Gersdorff (+ 1634), whose son, later rigshofmester Joachim Gersdorff owned it in 1638, but in 1641 it belonged to rigsråd hr. Oluf Parsberg (+ 1661).It went to his sons-in-law Ebbe Gyldenstierne of Sødal and Otto Pogwisch of Tyrrestrup, the last mentioned sold it in 1662 to grev Corfitz Ulfeldt, who in 1663 laid it out to the Crown, which exchanged it with estate to Mogens Friis of Vadskærgård. He conveyed it in 1665 to above mentioned Otto Pogwisch who in 1672 sold it with much estate to kancelliråd, amtmand Peter Charisius (+ 1683). After a High Court ruling of 1696 and 1697 his son-in-law baron Constantin Marselis of Marselisborg conveyed on behalf of the heirs P. in 1697 with estate to pharmacist Daniel Friedenreich (+ 1706). 
Later owners: family Friedenreich until 1780; Irminger until 1786; Jens de Poulson until 1792; Gundorph until 1799; H. Hollesen, Behrens, von Wichede, Kelter, van Deurs, A. Brun, C.J. Otto, Plenge, Ræder, Schjerup, sold to a konsortium in 1918.  1918 sold to Chr. I Kampmann , owners in 1962: family Kampmann

The present main building is listed in class B. It is placed upon a large double castle bank laid out by Oluf Parsberg. His building from 1631 has disappeared. Two sandstone lions with coat of arms and year 1656 stand on the bridge which leads across the inner moat. The main building from ab. 1730 is the only left of the plan which Janus Friedenreich created in 1722-36.  

Kærsgård was in 1398 pawned to Tvilum kloster and is said to have been in the management of Alling kloster in 1436 for 80 years. In 1510 it was by Gert Eriksen (Løvenbalk) of Aunsbjerg conveyed to rigsråd Niels Clementsen, whose son Rasmus Clementsen's heirs sold it to hr. Mogens Gøye. In 1567 it belonged to his daughter's daughter Mette Oxe, later it was under Palstrup. In 1801 it belonged to Rasmus Bay (+ 1820). He conveyed it in 1812 to Just Sjørslev (+ 1814) . Later owners: N.Bucwaldt, Else Schou of Randrup, again Buchwaldt until 1831, Høyer (+ 1876), forvalter Christensen, J.H.Lyse, 1891 de Linde,  Jens Madsen and  in 1929 P Rosbjerg. 

Niels Pedersen Galskyt wrote himself in 1418 of Tange.

South of Tange was possibly a castle bank in some moor area of the Gudenå-river, this is now hidden by the Tangesø (the lake).

The Elektricitetsværk Gudenåcentralen is situated in Høbjerg parish.

Listed prehistorics: a medium size hill in Vodskov. 
Destroyed or demolished: 18 hills

Names from the Middle Ages: Høbjerg/Højbjerg (1410 Høberg, 1509 Høberigh);  Tange (1407 Tunge, 1490 Tonge, ab. 1525 Tange, Tanghe); Træholt (1484 Tredeholt); Palstrup (1474 Palstrup); Ravnholt (1511 Raffuennholt); Kærsgaard (1398 Kiersgaard):

Source: Trap Danmark, 1962.    

photo2012: grethe bachmann,  stig bachmann nielsen,