Friday, December 30, 2011

Tilst church / Tilst kirke, Hasle herred, Aarhus amt.


Tilst church , photo stig bachman nielsen, naturplan.dk
The whitewashed church in Tilst has a Romanesque choir and nave and a later western tower and southern porch. The original walls are raw, cleaved granite boulder with ashlar-carved corners. From the earliest round arched windows are two left and still in function in the choir - two in the wall of the nave are bricked-up, but is  traceable from outsid. The southdoor is kept with carved ashlars, with a half circular thympanum field and flanked by two columns. Inside the choir arch is kept with heavy various kragsten. The church was in the late Middle Ages overvaulted with one bay in the choir, three in the nave - and a tower was added with an overvaulted bottom room and also a porch. In 1873 was brought up three frescoe apostle.figures from the 1400s and in 1927 three other apostles. In 1934 were found more frescoes, a fine decoration along the ribs and curves of the vaults and a large picture field on the nortside, under the picture are painted drapes. In the eastern vault of the nave was the coat of arms of Jens Iversen Lange - so the frescoes must be made during his time as bishop 1449-82.


Chessboard at a corner of apsis. 














The large altarpiece is a carved work in bruskbarok (a variety of Baroque in interior, DK 1630-60) from the 1600s, it has a painted year 1688 and the initials and coat of arms of Otte Bielke and Beate Rosenkrantz. A Romanesque font with double lions. The pulpit with carved year 1633 is of the Lyngå-type,  with low and a little heavy pillars and small carved evangelist-figures in the fields. The pews with gables and gates are mostly renewed, but an old carved gable from ab. 1600, probably from a parish clerk stool, stands by the entrance. In the porch are four large gravestones.

Christmas-decorated grave with a dog figure.














Bishop Peder Vognsen gave in 1203 some estate in Tilst to the chapter in Århus. Jens Erlandsen's (Galen) widow, Ingeborg, conveyed in 1295 estate in Tilst parish to Broder Degn, a canon in Århus. From 14 farms in Tilst 6 farms still belonged to Århus Chapter in 1648.

Brendstrup is mentioned among the estate which bishop Skjalm Vognsen inherited after his brother Jens and ab. 1210 gave to the cathedral in Århus. The væbner Kjeld Mogensen sold in 1392 a half-farm in B. to archdeacon Peder Gylling, who later gave it to the chapter. From 6 farms of the town 5 farms still belonged to the chapter in 1648.

Brendstrupgård in Brendstrup is from the 1800s, in 1924 owned by Aage Pedersen.

Brendstrup Hovedgård (also called Neder Brendstrup or Brendstrup Nedergård) is from the 1800s, owned in 1933 by A. Nielsen.

Marienlyst at Brendstrup Mark was from the 1800s, in 1910 sold to Århus Amts Udstykningsforening (outparcelling).

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish. There were 34 hills, now demolished.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Tilst (1203 Tislæst, 1295 Tilest);  Geding  (1548 Geddenng, 1573 Gieding); Brendstrup (ab. 1210 Brendistorp).
Source: Trap Danmark, Århus Amt, 1963

  photo 26. December 2011: stig bachmann nielsen, naturplan.dk & grethe bachmann .
 

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gammel Estrup and Fausing church/ Fausing kirke, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt.

 
Gammel Estrup.

When the counts Henrik II and Klaus of Holstein in 1340 gave hertug Valdemar III of Sønderjylland their pawn-rights of Nørrejylland, it was decided that Anders Jensen had to have back his own farm in Estrup, and in the following year he is written of the farm. His widow Johanne Brok (+ 1372), after whom the family took its name, was on the side of the rebels against king Valdemar Atterdag, who because of this destroyed E. in 1359. The son hr. Jens Andersen Brok (+ 1408) was a supporter of the king and later became a drost. His son's son hr. Esge Jensen Brok (+ 1441) inherited E., which then came to his son hr. Lave Brok, who was known for his violent nature, he started to collect the peasant-farms and had in 1469 established Estrup birk(judicial rights) from his etate in Fausing and Auning parish. Estrup birk existed until 1849.
library, foto stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk
bedroom, foto stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk

After his death in 1504 E. was owned by his widow Kirstine Pedersdatter(Høeg Banner), who married Peder Lykke of Demstrup; in 1529 the children Niels and Ide Brok entered their paternal heritage and shared E. and Vemmetofte , while the peasant-estate was common. Two families lived at the farm and there was always feuds among them. Ide Brok was married to Trued Ulfstand of Torup (+ 1545), her part was inherited by the son Gregers Ulfstand (+ at E. in 1582) and his son-in-law Carl Bryske (+ 1613). Niels Brok died in 1534, and his widow Jytte Podebusk married Knud Gyldenstierne of Ågård (+ 1560), who from 1540 is written of E. Her children Lave Brok (+ 1565) and Margrethe Brok, married to Jørgen Bille of Ellinge, had both part in E., but Lave's son Eske Brok gathered the estate again by buying out the above mentioned Carl Bryske in 1587. He died in 1625, the last male of his family, and E. came with the daughter Jytte Brok (+ 1640) to Jørgen Skeel of Sostrup (+ 1631) and then to their son, the rich Christen Skeel. In 1638 the farm was inherited by the son Jørgen Skeel (+ 1695), whose widow Benedicte Margrethe Brockdorff ( + 1739) in 1639 established E. as an entailed estate for her son Christen Skeel (+ 1731) who from his other farms established the county Scheel.

The following owners of the entailed estate was his son count Jørgen Scheel (+ 1786), his son's son count Jørgen Scheel (+ 1825), who almost ruined the farm; his son count Christen Scheel (+ 1844), his widow Christiane Pind (+ 1855),  the son count Jørgen Scheel (+ 1926). In 1921 the entailed estate became free property and in 1926 it was sold to Fr. Legarth. In 1928 the main building and the forests were sold to Christen Scheel's son-in-law Valdemar Uttental of Løvenholm, who by Trust deed of 1930 gave the building for a Manor Museum. Estrup is now the frame of a Herregårdsmuseum, an independent  institution of the Ministry of Culture.(today also agricultural museum)

at the agricultural museum
The earlier farm manager-building was hereafter used as a main building of the estate and was in 1937 sold to Olufsen-Ilskov, in 1942 to architect Meulengracht, in 1947 to Einar Hansen and in 1949 to architect E. Johansen;  in 1950 in auction sale bought by master builder S. Andersen and High Court lawyer H.Hansen, who did a new out-parcelling and sold the main parcel to manager Th. Nielsen, Jernit. He renounced the farm in 1957 to his son-in law E. Holck Gregersen.


Gammel Estrup's main building with farm buildings and garden park is overall mentioned as "Jyllands stateligste herregård"(Jutlands most stately manor), and not without reason. Although there have been three fires in farm buildings and stabkes through the last hundred years, the whole complex has kept much brilliance and greatness of the bygone days.

Nothing is known about the Estrup, which was built by the family Brok, after Valdemar Atterdag in 1359 had broken the earliest parts down, but it is possible to tell something about the water castle, which Lave Brok let build in about the year 1500. It was four winged with a gate through the north wing;  the poles of the bridge still stand in the bottom of the moat by the place of the drawbridge. In the present main building Lave Broks "large stone house" is included (the two bottom floors in the west wing). The outer walls in this house are very heavy, more than two meters, in the cellar even three meters thick and dressed outside with large granite ashlars. In the cellar the late medieval crossvaults are kept in the gable rooms. In the top of the building are found rests of a guardian walk and shooting peepholes.

Fausing church, foto stig bachmann nielsen, naturplan.dk
 Fausing church
 The church in Fausing has a choir and nave with a later added western tower, where only the original bottom is left, and a porch to the south. The choir and nave are Romanesque in granite ashlars. The southdoor with a round-stick along the edge and a half circular smooth thympanum is kept, but very crumbled like the ashlars of the south side. The north door is bricked-up and partly destructed by a newer window. 2 Romanesque windows and one in the choir gable are bricked-up. In the south side of the choir is kept a small low-placed round-arched window, probably a leprosy-window. The tower is in granite ashlars and in the same broadth as the nave - and almost from the same time. In the beginning of the 1800s the upper sections of the tower were broken down, and the roof of the nave was extended over the bottom section. A later built ridge turret above the west gable was renewed in 1923, and the bell, which was in a bell-stool on the west gable, is now placed in the ridge turret. The large porch in monk bricks is a late Gothic addition. In the late Middle Ages the choir was over-vaulted with one and the nave with three bays crossvaults. In the tower room -which is in connection to the nave by a large pointed arch - was built a vault, which was later replaced by a beamed ceiling. Upon the vaults of choir and nave were found late medieval frescoes, like coat of arms, partly restored in 1886, but later whitewashed in 1962. The southside of the nave is whitewashed or else the church has blank walls, the roof is lead.














The walled communion table is surrounded by a painted panel. Baroque altar piece from ab. 1650 with a carving and decoration from 1958 by Ernst Trier. Altar candelabres from ab. 1600. An interesting ore baptismal font from ab. 1300. The bowl is carried by three male figures, probably depicting paradise rivers. A a wooden sounding board (the font) kept in the attic. Late Renaissance pulpit from ab. 1635 with reliefs; the stool and the sounding board are probably made by Niels Kock, who signed the pulpit in Auning church. A new decoration. 2 manor pews from ab. 1650 are now in the tower arch. The other pews have gables from the late 1600s. The bell was recast and paid by Jytte Brock of Estrup in 1640. In the southside of the tower room a large grave stone from 1584 with two portrait figures of Gregers Ulfstand Truedsen of Torup and Estrup (+ 1582) and fru Karen Banner, with their son Trud. A Romanesque headstone with cross is walled in the east side of the porch. In the Catholic period was mentioned 2 altar pieces in the church.

Portraits on gravestone: Gregers Ulfstand Truedsen and fru Karen Banner (1582)


Listed prehistorics: 4 hills, of which two are rather large, all lie close in the fields and forest belonging to Gl. Estrup.
Destroyed or demolished: a long dolmen west of Drammelstrup and 33 hills,  mainly placed by Drammelstrup and between Fausing and Gl. Estrup.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Fausing (1379 Faxingh ); Liltved (1464 Lille twedh, 1479 Lilltwedh); Drammelstrup (1467 Drammelstrvp); Grund (1504 Grund march); Gammel Estrup (1. half of 1300s Essendrup, in 1355 Æsendorp, 1463 Æstrop).

Source: Trap Danmark,Randers amt, 1963.

Photo: grethe bachmann & stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk

Monday, December 05, 2011

Mellerup church / Mellerup kirke, Støvring herred, Randers amt

Mellerup kirke, stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk














The small church in Mellerup is an ashlar building with choir and nave and a porch at the south . The Romanesque sectiont, the choir and nave, are built in granite ashlars. In the choir gable, where the tip is rewalled with small grey-yellow Flensborg bricks, is a bricked-up Romanesque window, while other two are still in function, one on the north side of the nave, and one on the north side of the choir. Both original doors are kept,the north door is bricked-up, but visible as a niche out and inside, and on the outside equipped with rope windings in the linte. In front of the simple south door  a large porch was built in the late Middle Ages, which heavy walls, built in monk bricks, seem to reveal that this is the bottom of a late Gothic tower. The narrow choir arch is preserved inside with heavy unprofiled kragsten.



Mellerup kirke, stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk
The Mellerup crucifix















A Renaissance altar piece with the year 1621 and the initials M P T stands upon a granite communion table. Decorated pillars and side wings flank the big field which has a reproduction of Leonardo's "Last Supper". The altar piece earlier had the monograms of Eske Brock and Christence Viffert. The altar candelabres have the coat of arms of Mogens Kaas and Sidsel Friis and the year 1631. A Romanesque font with a rope decoration. A carved Renaissance pulpit, which has double pillars with decorations and intarsia and a carved year 1634, contemporary sounding board and entrance through the wall of the choir arch. A Gotic crusifix upon the wall , showing Christ with a crown of Thorns, restored in 1944 (the Mellerup crucifix). In the western gable a church bell without inscription, from the late Middle Ages; it was earlier in a bell-frame on the church yard. A church ship "Helene Charlotte" was in 1954 given to the church as a memory about a privateer from Mellerup.













At Mellerup is a sacred spring, Maren Tomesdatters kilde, which was used as a healing spring still around 1900.  

Listed prehistorics: 3 hills, Rytterhøj in the northern part of the parish, Tathøj, rather large with a water tank inside town and Stenshøj west of this.

Demolished or destroyed: 9 hills.

At Mellerup was found a settlement from early Roman Iron Age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.
photo: grethe bachmann and stig bachmann  nielsen, Naturplan.dk

Linde church / Linde kirke, Nørhald herred, Randers amt

Linde kirke, foto: stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk














The church in Linde has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch from 1837 to the south. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars. From original details the south door is  preserved, but moved to a new entrance from west, and in the east wall of the choir is a bricked-up round arched window with a monolite lintel. Below the pulpit stand fragments of granite pillars, probably from the north portal -and in the tower are inserted various fragments. The nave has a flat ceiling, while the choir in the late Gothic period ab. 1500 had a cross vault. The choir arch is extended, probably in 1591-92, according to a frescoe inscription. Its kragsten are placed as plinths. The bottom room of the tower had once a pointed arch opening to the west, it is now used as a porch. The porch from 1837 has a portal in rural late Empire. The building was repaired in 1955-56.























In the vault of the choir are frescoe ornaments and birds from ab. 1500, among others a pelican, and upon the triumph wall are fragments of a Doomsday image with apocalyptic horsemen. Altar piece in Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s, with original painting. Chalice from 1632 given by Jens Pedersøn Lycke, renovated with new cup 1746. Baluster-shaped Renaissance candelabres. Roughly carved Romanesque granite font with lions and deer. Smooth brass bowl from the 1600s. Pulpit in Renaissance with decoration from 1700s, Evangelist portraits. A Romanesque gravestone with procession cross is inserted in the wall of the porch.


Lindegård belonged 1344 and 1347 to Niels Eriksen (Saltensee), 1355 Erik Nielsen (Saltensee), who pawned it to Jens Svendsen, whose son Svend Skobe transferred it in 1401 to queen Margrete, who in 1407 gave L. and Tjæreby to Århus domkirke (cathedral) After the reformation it belonged to hr. Jørgen Lykke of Overgård, who in 1549 exchanged it to the king, who 1558 exchanged it to Mariagerkloster, from where it in 1614 with a desolate mille-site was exchanged to Mogens Kaas (Sparre-K.) under whose farm Støvringgård it was in 1662. In 1765 sold to Lars Christensen.

A sacred well. Skt. Lawes kjeld, is found downside the hills west of Linde Møllebæk (Mill-brook).

Listed prehistorics: 3 large hills, of which two belong to the group Trehøje at a hill north of Mejlby, a little to the west is Halmhøj which is a little out-digged.
Demolished: one hill. - At Torsmark was found a clay pot grave from early Roman iron age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo November 2011: grethe bachmann &; stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk

Lem church / Lem kirke , Støvring herred, Randers amt.

Lem kirke: stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk













 Lem church has a Romanesque choir and nave in granite ashlars, a late medieval tower to the west and a porch, probably late Gothic, to the south. Both portals are preserved, decorated with pillars, dice capitals and characteristic for the Randers area: a ribbon bow in the thympanum - the north portal is bricked-up - and a Romanesque window is bricked-up in the choir gable. A Romanesque window preserved in the north side of the choir and a Romanesque monolite lintel in the southern dike of the church yard. The tower in the same broadth as the nave was built in the late Middle Ages in re-used ashlars with plinth-stones from the old west gable of the nave and above in monk bricks. Its vaulted bottom room opens to the nave in a pointed arch arcade, the heavy and probably late Gothic porch is in the bottom in re-used ashlars and monk bricks and above in small, newer stones. The nave inside has a flat plaster loft, while the choir in the late Middle Ages got a cross vault with frescoes, the Romanesque kragsten are preserved.



the portal with a ribbon

Upon the walled communion table is a large Renaissance altar triptychon with side wings and a top field, under the foot is carved the year 1615, and the coat of arms and names of the givers Eske Brock and Christence Viffert in the side wings. In the large field was from 1892- 1948 a painting, which now hangs in the nave, while the original crucifix painting is  restored and put on its old place. Upon the triumph wall hangs a Catholic carved triptychon from ab. 1450 with the earliest known plastic pieta-image in Denmark, probably from the same workshop as the Preetz-tablet in the National Museum. The Romanesque granite font with double lions stands in the choir arch. The pulpit is Renaissance, with pillars and with decorations around portal-fields, given in 1621 by Eske Brock and Christence Viffert, whose coat of arms and names are painted in the fields. A contemporaty sounding board. The bell has the year 1547.




the vicarage

 In the porch is a runestone, found in 1954 in the dike, the preserved part of the inscription is: "- - Ulrik broder sin "( "- - Ulrik brother his)".

Names in the Middle Ages: Lem ( 1407 Lem, 1470 Lææm).

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 4 hills.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo: grethe bachmann & stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan.dk

Monday, October 31, 2011

Ølst church / Ølst kirke, Galten herred, Randers amt



                                                                          












The church in Ølst is an ashlar building with a Romanesque choir and nave upon a bevel plinth -  and an added porch on the south side. In the northern side-wall of the choir is kept a bricked-up Romanesque window; two Romanesque windows on the northside of the nave are still in function. The original doors of the nave are still kept, the north door bricked-up, both with frames of monolits and column strips. In the lintel of the south door is carved a loop decoration. The porch is built in small, red bricks, probably in the 1700; the gable peak was rewalled in 1857. The church was restored in 1867.
Chessboard upon the outside wall. 













The walled communion table has upon the front a copy of the Romanesque golden altar, known by the name "Ølstalteret", made in beaten and gilt copper, later inserted in a Renaissance altarpiece and now at the National Museum. A later altarpiece had a biblical painting from 1896. Altar candelabres from 1586 with coat of arms, given by Niels Jensen (Viffert) of Torstedlund; a limestone font, a Gotland work with animal figures and masks upon an octagonal basin. A south German baptismal bowl from ab. 1575. Pulpit from the late 1800s, same type as in Værum church. A medieval bell without inscription.

Brusgård belonged in 1393 and 1398 to Christiern Jensen, from 1408 hr. Niels Munk (Bjælke-M.) of Sostrup (+ ab. 1460),  his son Anders Munk (+ 1504), his son Niels Munk (+ before 1515) and then the sister Maren Munk, m. to Mikkel Krabbe (of Østergård) of Tandrup. After their death B. was probably shared between the children. Lucas Krabbe is written to it 1580, while Anne Krabbe (+ 1564) brought her part to Jon Madsen (Viffert) of Torstedlund (+ 1560). Their son Niels Jonsen (Viffert) died unmarried 1595, and B. came with Torstedlund to the cousin Niels Krabbe (+ 1626), who in 1618 conveyed B. to statholder Jens Juel of Kjeldgård (+ 1634). It was in 1638 owned by his daughter Elsebe Juel, m. to Ove Juul ( + 1644), whose son-in-law Rudolf v. Offenberg in 1675 is written to B., but in 1678 has Marie Worm, widow after kommissær Peder Lassen, pawn in the farm, and in 1679 conveyed Elsebe Juel B. to her. Marie Worm married in 1680 general Matthias Numsen of Saltø, enobled in 1688, and they sold 1695 B.with taxes and estate to colonel Holger Rosenkrantz (+ 1704); it came to his widow Anne Brahe (+ 1722) and son Niels Rosenkrantz  (+ 1746), who in 1744 sold B. to grev Conrad Ditlev Reventlow (+ 1750), who placed B. under the entailed estate Frisenvold.

Later owners: Hans Jordhøj and skovrider Ulrik Thomsen Jæger; baron Jens Krag-Juel-Vind of Juellinge; S. Søndergaard; C.E.Bay, Rasmus Faurschou; J.P. Hansen; Alfred Hansen;  statshusmandsbrug + hovedparcel Kaj Brødsgaard: owner from 1930 V. Sørensen.

Eriksborg is a parcel from Brusgård. from the 1800s.
Havgård is a small parcel from Brusgård from the 1800s, was named Birkeholm. 

Hr. Stig Andersen (Hvide) conveyed in 1342 among other property his estate in Ølst to his brother Uffe Andersen (Hvide). Jomfruklosteret in Randers sold in 1355 estate in Ølst to Hans Pedersen, and his widow Bodil bought in 1361 all the estate of Essenbæk kloster in the parish.

At Brusgård was the village Ugelvore (1354 Vgæluuor) disappeared in the 1400s. In this village was Vestergård (ab. 1400 Westhergaardt). In the parish were some houses Agerhuse (1637 Aggerhus), still mentioned in the late 1700s,  and the farms Hedegård (1607 Hiey gaardt) at Brusgård , abandoned in the 1600s., and Komgård ( 1679 Kombgaar).

A little downside Teglgård at Askildrup hede (heath) was in the Middle Ages a church where were found several granite ashlars. The name Askildrup kirke is not known, it is possibly a church named Hinge kirke .

No listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were three hills.

In a ditch-digging at Ølst were in 1852 found 105 coins from king Erik Klippings time, put down ab. 1284.
By digging a field at Teglgård -  where according to legend was a church (see above)  -  were in 1846 found 868 coins from king Erik Menved -  king Christoffer II's time, put down ab. 1328.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Ølst (1342 Ølstæth); Askildrup (1398 Aschilstrup, 1453 Askildrvp); Robdrup (1468 Ruptrvp); Trustrup (1398 Truustrup); Ginnerup (1460 Ginderup); Mikkelstrup (1425 Michelstrup, -trop); Brusgård (1393 Bruusgaard); Teglgård (1618 Theiggelgaardt).

Source. Trap Danmark, 1963

photo 24 September  2011: grethe bachmann

Friday, October 21, 2011

Vivild church / Vivild kirke, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt

Vivild church, Djursland,ab. 24 km east of Randers
The large church in Vivild has a choir and a nave, a tower to the west and a porch to the north. The choir and nave are Romanesque, built in pretty carved granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth. Both doors and three windows to the north and one to the east are kept. The south door and windows are bricked up. In the Gothic period were in the choir built two and in the nave three bays of cross vaults, and the choir arch was changed into a pointed arch. The tower is also from the Gothic period like the porch. The tower has a pyramid roof. It is built in granite ashlars and monk bricks, the vaulted tower room has a pointed arch towards the nave. The large porch in monk bricks is built in two stages. The original building from the late Middle Ages is enheightended with an upper storey and has got a glare gable. The church is roofed with lead; it now stands with blank ashlars and whitewashed brickwalls. In 1952-53 was a restoration, and some frescoes were found, partly late Gothic ( on the vaults) the latest frescoes with biblical motifs were wellkept, but in spite of this they were whitewashed again.

Vivild church. Did you ever see a cross-eyed church?















The walled communion table in granite ashlars has a reliquary, which was examined by the bishop of the district in 1953. The altarpiece in Rococo from ab. 1700 with name and coat of arms of colonel Hans Friis. The original painting was replaced in the middle field in 1953. The altar candelabres were given in 1588 by Niels Skram and fru Kirsten Rosenkrantz. A Romanesque granite font with lion figures and leaf decorations. A baptismal bowl from 1500s. A Baroque pulpit with a sounding board from 1662, given by Clemen Jensen in Nielstrupgård and parish clerk Rasmus Sørensen ( acc. to epitaph).  The upper pews in each side have the coat of arms of Niels Skram and Kirsten Rosenkrantz. The rest of the pews are new. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix  in the nave. In the tower arch a church ship from ab. 1720. Three large ore chandeliers from 1924. The bell was re-cast in 1850 by Meilstrup in Randers. In the nave a large carved epitaph with portrait-paintings placed in 1664 for Clemen Jensen in Nielstrupgård  (+ 1677) and wife Bodil Andersdatter (+ 1672) and parish clerk Rasmus Sørensen (+ 1679) and wife Else Jensdatter (+ 1669). Furthermore a painted and gilt memorial tablet in sandstone with portrait relief of  colonel Chr. Friis of Hevringholm (+ 1727). Above the stone was earlier placed 4 mourning-banners with coat of arms of the families Friis, Vittrup, Urne and Lindenov and the year 1727; according to his own wish he was buried in a hill on the church yard, where a large stone is placed on the grave. In the northern wala of the choir a painted and gilt gravestone with portrait reliefs of the brothers Jørgen Rosenkrantz (+ 1551), Erik R. (+ 1561) and Peder R. ( + 1570), all of Hevringholm. Their bodies were acc. to Pont. Atlas buried in a burial cellar under the choir, where was found a burial chamber in 1952 with the rests of three coffins. A Baroque gravestone with name Otte Lauridsen by the southern wall of the church. In the tower arch is walled-in a Romanesque gravestone with a cross.

Chessboard outside on church wall. 

Hevringholm is the entailed estate of the family Rosenkrantz. Rigsråd Niels Iversen is written to H.  1377-1407, and hr. Niels Jensen is in 1411 written to the farm, which later went to his three sons, hofmester hr. Otte Nielsen of Bjørnholm (+ 1477), hr. Timme Nielsen of Engelsholm (+ ab. 1455) and hr. Anders Nielsen, called Stygge (he still lived 1478). The last mentioned bought in 1466 Otte Nielsen's part of the farm, his son Ejler Stygge (Rosenkrantz) inherited H. and died ab. 1535,  and his children Stygge, Christoffer, Erik, Peder, Jørgen and Berete inherited.  Jørgen Rosenkrantz died in 1551, and the other children bought a broderlod ( each a part) of the farm the same year from their cousin Sidsel Timmesdatter (Rosenkrantz), widow after rigsråd Erik Krummedige. In an exchange among the siblings in 1552 H. went to Erik Rosenkrantz, who died in 1561 without leaving heirs. H. then came to his brother Peder Rosenkrantz (+ 1570) , then to the brother Stygge Rosenkrantz (+ 1571), whose daughter Kirsten (+ 1597) in 1582 brought H. to her husband Niels Skram of Urup (+ 1601). Their daughter Elsebe Skram, m. to Esge Bille of Svanholm, sold in 1608 H. to Esge Brok of Estrup (+ 1625). H. came to his youngest daughter Elisabeth Brok, m. to Frands Lykke of Overgård  ( +1655), who in 1643 got birkeret (judicial rights) of the farm.

Vivild church. Time for the tortoiseshell to find a warm spot.

















Their son was the famous Kaj Lykke, who had his estate taken from him by law in 1661; the king out-parcelled H.'s estate, but the owners of the farm should have the right to release it. In 1664 the king exchanged H. to Oluf Daa, who in 1666 laid H. out to his three sons as their maternal inheritance instead of Eskebjerg (Scheelenborg) at Funen which he had sold. A year after they sold H. to colonel Hans Friis (of Haraldskær); their father opposed to the sale, but the supreme court gave the three sons accept. Hans Friis established an entailed estate, which he in 1695 transferred together with Essenbæk ladegård to his brother's son colonel Christian Friis, who after his brother Gregers Friis' death in 1711 inherited Tustrup, and in order to obey his uncle's will he laid in 1726 Tustrup and Essenbæk ladegård under the entailed estate. After his death in 1727 H. went to his father's brother's daughter's son generalløjtnant Christian Rantzau- Friis, who died childless. His death in 1731 started a long feud between the families Below and Beck. H came to oberstløjtnant Joakim Beck, who after this called himself Beck-Friis (+ 1762). His son grev Joakim Beck-Friis was in 1782 allowed to sell the entailed estate and sold it in 1783 by auction to Laurids Sørensen of Hevring mill.

Later owners: Peter Severin Fønss of Løvenholm, Aalborg hospitalsdirektion; Mogens Chr. Kjeldsen, Christian M. Kjeldsen,  W.C. Olesen;  P. Knudsen; L. C. Rasmussen; P. Arkner .In 1946 sold to J. Balling.

Julianeholm is a parcel of Hevringholm, established by Peter Severin Fønns of Løvenholm. 

The væbner Jes (or Niels) Christiernsen of Nielstrup is mentioned 1485-1511. In 1543 N. belonged to fru Karen, later to Christoffer Lunov of Rygård (ab. 1580-1607), then Esge Bille of Hevringholm, with which it by Kaj Lykke's fall came to mayor Caspar Eggers in Køge in 1686, who sold it and N. Mill to grev Christian Rantzau of Gjesingholm (now Løvenholm), who in 1663 laid it to Gjesingholm birk ( judicial district). In 1716 it was resided by birkedommer Th. Hørup.


In the parish was the village Vådkær (1420 Wodekier) with 6 farms. It was abandoned before 1660, and its land came under Hevringholm. The abandoned main farm Nielstrupgård (1394 Niilstrupgaardt) was possibly a rest of a village Nielstrup. In 1688 is in the parish mentioned a farm called I Hulen (In the Cave).

Names from the Middle Ages:

Vivild (1420 Viuild, 1450 Wewildh); Lystrup (1426 Liwerstorp, 1450 Lywelstrvp); Nielstrup (1420 Nielstorp); Hevringholm (1397 Hefringeholm).
 
Listed prehistorics: North of Lystrup a large but somewhat out-digged Tushøj ; east of Vivild at the country road the rather large Tvillinghøje and a longhill, all in a public park.
Destroyed or demolished: a round dolmen, a passage grave and 38 hills.

Early Roman burial sites are examined by Vivild and Lille Sorvad.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo 24 September 2011: grethe bachmann

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Løgismose and Hårby church / Hårby kirke, Båg herred, Odense amt.

Løgismose, 12 km northwest of Fåborg.














Løgismose was in the beginning of the 1300s owned by the three "brothers" Jens Ingildsen Revel, Peder Rytze and Vogn Nielsen. The last mentioned seems to have connnection to the Sønderjylland family Jul. Løgismose was shared among them , when it is mentioned the first time, and through the centuries it was maybe more than any other main farm divided and only collected now and then for a shorter time. In 1333 Peder Rytze bought from Jens Revel the share in L., which he had inherited from Vogn Nielsen, Jens Revel's own share was inherited by his daughter Sophie Revel (+ earliest 1404), who by marriage brought it to Jep Abildgaard ( + earliest 1438), who in 1387 pawned it to væbner Jens Pedersen (Panter) of "Høgerup" ( + 1417).

Other owners of L. in the late 1300s were members of the families Krummedige, Sested (Sehestedt) and Jul of Sønderjylland. Erik Krummedige owned a part, and in 1392 his sister fru Elsebe Krummedige's husband Henrik Split gave him this share besides the share which was hers. Also Erik Krummedige's brother (father?) Segebod Krummedige ( + latest 1397) owned a share, which was inherited by the daughter Mette Segebodsdatter Krummedige, who 1. time was married to one from the family Jul, the second time to Hartvig Ottosen Sested. Her share was inherited by the sons of 1. marriage Iver (+ earliest 1421), Troels ( + earliest 1401) and Thomas Jul  (+ between 1438-47) and her sons-in-law, mayor in Flensborg Sivert Krok, mayor in Flensborg Henrik Vrese (Friis) and citizen in Ribe Thetmar von Gatmer, called Blow (Blue). Parts of L. went to her sons of 2. marriage, Poppe and Reimer Hartvigsen Sested and the daughter Gisele Hartvigsdatter Sested. The last mentioned was married to Jep Wilsen (Ferke) who bought the ownerships from his brothers-in-law Poppe and Reimer.

In 1396 and 1405 is also mentioned high court judge in Funen hr. Niels Pedersen (Panter?) and in 1396 hr. Jens Andersen (Panter?) together with  Jens Pedersen (Panter) of L. The last mentioned bought in 1401 the shares of Iver Jul and his siblings and brothers-in-law, and in 1408 he got from Jep Wilsen his shares as a pawn. At his death in1417 he probably owned all of L. His widow of 2. marriage, Grethe Henriksdattter Brockdorff  (+ between 1441-50), and the son Peder Jensen (Panter) got by the exchange a third of L., while two thirds went to the son's son Laurids Lauridsen (Panter), ( + as child), whose mother Mette Pedersdatter (Present)( + latest 1457) inherited him and in 1432 by new marriage brought her part in L. to Eiler Hardenberg and later by her 3. marriage to rigsråd hr. Engelbrecht Bydelsbak (+ 1490) of Torbenfeld  (+ ab. 1493). Latest from 1470 her son-in-law, væbner and later rigsråd Claus Bryske (+ earliest 1506) , m. to Grete Engelbrechtsdatter Bydelsbak (+ 1490), was written to L. , but not until 1475 came the exchange after Mette Pedersdatter (Present) and her 2 late children Johan and Kirsten. At this point L. with Nellemose and all estate went to her son of 3. marriage hr. Albrecth Engelbrechtsen Bydelsbak (+ latest 1493).

Supposedly went a share of L. to fru Mette Bertelsdatter Tinhuus  (+ earliest 1500), widow after hr. Joachim Hardenberg ( + between 1469-75), Mette Pedersdatter's son of 2. marriage, on behalf of her children. This is not quite sure. Something indicates that hr. Albrecht Engelbrechtsen got all of L. In 1479-88  is Claus Bryske written to L. again, but after hr. Albrecht's death L. went to his daughter Mette Albrechtsdatter Bydelsbak  (+ 1513), who by marriage brought it to the later rigshofmester hr. Mogens Gøye of Krenkerup (+ 1544). After him L. was inherited by the daughters Mette Gøye, m. to hr. Johan Oxe of Nielstrup (+ 1534), Eline Gøye, 1. time m. to hr. Mourids Olufsen Krognos (+ 1550), 2. time to Vincents Juel (+ 1579), and Pernille Gøye (+ 1552), in 1539 2. time m. to rigsråd Børge Trolle of Lillø (+ 1571). Johan Oxe's part was inherited by his sons, hr. Peder Oxe of Gisselfeld  (+ 1575) and Eskild Oxe (+ 1563), but also by the daughters Inger (+ 1591) and Sidsel Oxe (+ 1593), of whom the last mentioned in 1590 bought her sister's share. Peder Oxe gave in 1567 his share as a morning gift to his wife-to- be, fru Mette Olufsdatter Rosenkrantz of Vallø
(+ 1588).  It seems that Sidsel Oxe was the main owner in the beginning of the 1590s, and her share was inherited by her sister Pernille's son Johan Rud of Møgelkjær (+ 1609) and her daughter's children Otto Banner ( + 1625) and Mette Banner (+ 1614),  1. time m. to Erik Bille of Rønnovsholm (+ 1600), 2. time to Jørgen Kaas.

Owners in the 1600s: Family Bille, Bryske, Urne, Skinkel, Rosenkrantz. In the 1700s: Family Trampe. In the 1800s several  various owners. In 1955 was L. owned by S.P. and E. Korshøj. 

Today:
Løgismose has developed from import of French quality wines direct from the wine farmers into a food-house of international class. Løgismose is the part of a family community( the family Grønlykke), managing Falsled Kro, restaurant Kong Hans Kælder, Løgismose Vinimport and Løgismose Mejeri (dairy) - known for its cheese and oysters.
beach at Løgismose













Hårby Church, Båg herred, Odense amt. 
ab. 5 km north of Løgismose
The church's Romanesque part, choir and nave, are built in raw granite boulder with corner ashlars upon a double plinth.From late Gothic period are the extension of the choir, the cross vaults of the choir and the nave, a chapel on the north side of the nave and a western tower; the chapel is extended to the north by a porch, probably in 1856. The heavy tower has a vaulted bottom room, a pointed arch to the nave and a stairhouse to the south .

The altarpiece (structure)  is neo Gothic with a contemporary painting. At the sides four apostle-figures in plaster. Chalice and desk from 1661 with the coat of arms of Anders Bille and Sophie Rosenkrantz. A wafer-box (Sophia Hedevig Trampe). Altar candelabres, probably contemporary to the altar. A modern stone font with a bowl from 1570, initials O B D R  and coat of arms for Oxe ? and Rud. The pulpit with relief-carved year 1618. Newer pews, chandeliers, organ and gallery to the west. A strong ironbound money block with special lock from the 1600s. New church ship "Hellig Olav". Bells 1) 1819, cast by I. C. Gamst. Kbhvn.  2) 1875, by B Løw and son, Kbhvn.

In the tower room a grave chapel for the family Trampe, with a pretty cast iron grating. Inside the chapel three large black marble sarcophagus with white marble decoration. In a walled burial cellar below the choir, which belonged to Anders Bille and his descendants, who gave it to Odense Jomfrukloster, is now only the burial of Anders Bille in a new coffin from 1943. The other coffins were buried in the church yard, and several coffin plates and decorations were placed on the wall  in the porch, next to others. Also gravestones in the porch from the 1600s (Urne, Bille etc). 

beach at Løgismose














In the parish was a main farm Højsgård (1425 Høgs Gaard), which in the late 1500s belonged to fru Mette Urne (+ 1612), m. to captain Alexander Durham (+ 1600). In 1609 and 1627 it belonged to her sister's daughter jomfru Pernille Lykke of Klingstrup (+ 1634). In 1635 it was owned by rigsadmiral Claus Daa of Ravnstrup, who wished to exchange it to the Crown in return for jus patronus of Fraugde church. The exchange seems not to have happened, since he in 1639 sold H. to Anders Bille (+ 1657), who in 1649 wrote himself of H. and Løgismose, to which he transferred it. Still in the middle of the 1800s were ruins on the land of Ballegården. A mill belonged to the farm, it was in 1521 named Høgisgaardts mølle.      

Listed prehistorics:  At Strandby a dolmen chamber with a cover stone and a rather large butsomewhat outdigged hill Nålehøj. 
Demolished: At Strandby two dolmens and the hills Hagenhøj, Humlehøj and Skråhøj, where were found bronze objects; at Sarup 5 hills.

Small settlements from late Stone Age are known from Maden and Sarup. From Sarup origins a late Bronze Age treasure-find with 6 bracelets, 8 buttons, knife etc. At Hårby was found a brandgrav (burnt grave) from early Roman Iron Age.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Hårby (1386 Harby); Akkerup (1425 Askendorp, 1504 Accroppe); Sarup (1404 Sarup); Strandby (1425 Strandby); Nældemose (1475 Noldemose, 1492 Nedlæmose); Løgismose (1333 Løuitz mosse, 1390 Louesmose);  Filstrup (1521 Fielstrup gard); Ellegård (1500s Ellegaardt).

Source: Trap Danmark, Odense amt, 1956.

photo 1999: grethe bachmann.

Dreslette church / Dreslette kirke, Båg herred, Odense amt.

Dreslette church, 10 km southeast of Assens














From the original ashlar church building in Dreslette, apse, choir and nave is preserved only the last mentioned, built upon a profiled double plinth; a south window and both doors are traceable, and from one of those is a re-used thympanon in a churchyard portal ; the thympanon has a relief with three persons. From the loft-room is visible that the west gable - which possibly was rebuilt in Roman time - is bipartite by two flatcurved niches, each with a little round-arched window. The curved, but probably extended triumph arch has profiled  kragbånd. The present choir with  a glare gable and two contemporary cross vaults with profiled ribs is probably from the 1300s, while the three cross vaults of the nave and a chapel on its south side is from the 1400s. To the west was a late Gothic tower and a porch in front of the south door of the nave, both demolished in 1785, but known from a painting (at Fensmark), which konferensråd Niels Ryberg let make, before he in 1785-87 carried through a large rebuild, which still marks the church completely. From this rebuild origins the present tower in three storeys with an iron- rail  surrounding a platform with a small building in the middle. The church yard is fenced by large boulder dikes and with several portals.














The inventory in the church origins mainly from the rebuild in 1785-87. The altarpiece, which is built together with the organ, the whitepainted baptismal font with a Romanesque basin, the round pulpit and the whitepainted light-gilt pews with shell-gables create a pretty interior in neoclassisistic style. The earlier altarpiece was from 1611. Altar candelabres from 1625. Altar rail in cast iron, Empire. The font with a sounding board  is a Djursland type. The pulpit with a sounding board has a la Greque decoration; the pews have kept their doors, seats and backs. The old organ above the altarpiece is out of use;  a new organ from the beginning of the 1900s upon a contemporary west gallery. A money block in iron with R. B. 1792. Bells: 1) 1693, cast by "Baltzer Melchior"  2) 1849 by H. Gamst and H.C. Lund, Kbhvn. -  In the church are several grave memorials. Outside a grave chapel for family Ryberg, Falbe. Memorials on the church yard from 1700s and 1800s.

Flenstofte is mentioned the first time in 1295. Later, probably between 1330-1357; it belonged to the Holstein grafs. In the second half of the 1400s it was owned by hr. Johan Hwitkop (Krummedige)(+ earliest 1493), who sold it together with Sandholt and other estate to rigshofmester Poul Laxmand (+ 1502), after whose death it together with his other property was taken by the Crown, which endowed it, first to the vasal on Hindsgavl Gjord Nielsen (Drefeld) (+ 1520), who was married to Poul Laxmand's widow Kirsten Eriksdatter Banner, and then in 1521-27 to hr. Johan Bjørnsen (Bjørn)(+ 1534).  It seems that F. at that time was only a peasant-farm, in 1527 resided by Per Hansen. The same year a part of Poul Laxmand's estate, also F., was given back to his children Peder Laxmand (+ latest 1532) and Else Laxmand (+ 1546), widow after Abraham Eriksen (Gyldenstierne)( + 1514). After her death the estate went to Peder Laxmand's widow Beate Pedersdatter Pors (+ earliest 1547) and her sons Poul (+ 1557) and Erik Laxmand. Poul Laxmand's widow Thale Holgersdatter Ulfstand (+ 1604) seems to have owned F. until her death. Jacob Madsen's visitatsbog (a priest-book) mentions her as owner in 1589. In 1648 was F. owned by kancellisekretær Corfitz Rosenkrantz (+ 1653), who from a peasant farm again made it into a main farm by adding 4 common farms. In 1652 he sold F. with 6 common farms and some houses to rigsmarsk Anders Bille of Damsbo (+ 1657), who also owned Løgismose, with which F. was joined until 1797, when grev Trampe sold F. and estate to manager at Hvidkilde, Rasmus Rasmussen, who in 1799 sold it to agent later etatsråd Johan Chr. Ryberg (+ 1832). Later owners: Damsboe, Beck. Owner in 1956 was Carl C. Branth.


Sommersholm was in 1490 and ab. 1500 resided by Jesper, probably a peasant. In 1572 fru Thale Holgersdatter Ulfstand had a feud with fru Ide Norby, widow after Bild Nielsen (Kruckow) about S., which king Hans had sold to Jacob Norby, why it later was given to fru Ide. In 1614 it belonged to fru Karen Skram, in 1635 to the vasal at Hagenskov hr. Jørgen Brahe of Hvedholm, who between 1636 and 1639 exchanged it to the Crown, which placed it under Hagenskov vasalry, but in 1665 it was exchanged to amtmand Niels Banner (+ 1670), whose son Chr. Banner's (+ 1693) widow Mette Arendsdatter von der Kuhla  (+ 1709) in 1707 sold S.to generalmajor Frantz Joachim von Dewitz of Frederiksgave and Hindsgavl (+ 1719).

Listed prehistorics: West of Dreslette a dolmen chamber with two cover stones, at Flenstofte the long dolmen Vielandshøj with two chambers, one with a cover stone, at Snave a dolmen chamber with a large cover stone and a hill, in the forest Smørhaven a rest of a round dolmen and a hill; close to the beach in Nældemose Skovhave a dolmen chamber without cover stone.
Demolished: 14 hills, of which 9 were at Flenstofte mark (field).

From Strærup is a grave-find from late Bronze Age with arm ring and needle in gold etc.; two later Bronze Age's finds come from the parish. (from Sommersholm and the moor Dammet).


Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Dreslette (1345 ? Dreslette 1420 Dreyslæte); Brydegård (1484 Brydegaard); Snave (1484 Snabe); Skårup 1345? Skorrup, 1475 Skorderopp); Strærup (1397 Stædorp, 1425 Stræthurp); Mullerød (1475 Mwlrwdh); Brunshuse (1688 Brunbierg Huss) Agernæs (ab.1425 Aghernes); Flenstofte (1295 Flænstoftæ); Ørbæk (1475 Ørebech); Nørregård (1396 Nørrægorde); Sommersholm (1490 Simmersholm, ab. 1500 Semmerzholm, Sømersholm, 1639 Sommersholmb).

Source: Trap Danmark, Odense amt, 1956.

photo 1999: grethe bachmann

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Asperup church / Asperup kirke, Vends herred, Odense amt.

Asperup church, 10 km east of Middelfart


  
       
 Asperup Church was in the Catholic period consegrated to Our Lady. It was originally a Romanesque ashlar church with nave and a choir with apse, built upon a profiled couble plinth. In the north wall are traces of two Romanesque windows. In the late Middle Ages was the choir-bending demolished, and the choir was extended to the east in monk bricks where were also used granite ashlars from the down-broken eastern gable. The choir extension - in which was built an octagonal rib vault -  got the same broadth as the nave, but the old choir's flank-walls were unusually retained, and the western part of the choir is more narrow than the eastern. The new choir gable was decorated with glares and a stair-gable. The big flat-curved eastern window was later bricked up. In the north wall is a double point-arched hiding-niche. In the late Gothic period the western bay of the choir was overvaulted and the choir arch was extended. The nave got two bays of cross vaults. The large west tower and the porch to the south are late Gothic additions, both built in monk bricks with a few ashlars in the wall. A stair house to the south of tower. The high vaulted bottom room of the tower is connected to the nave in a broad pointed arch. In present time was placed heavy supporting pillars at the north side of the nave.

The walled late Gothic communion table has got Renaissance panels;  three original by Knud Snedker from ab. 1580, the rest copied in modern time. The altarpiece is a richly carved bruskbarok-work. from ab. 1650 by Anders Mortensen. In the top piece is inserted a late Gothic crucifixion relief, probably from the altarpiece from 1589. In the middle field an oil painting, a copy after a painting by A. Dorph. Ore-cast candelabres from ab. 1650. A choir-panel with a priest-stool-door from 1641. The Romanesque granite font has a cylindric basin with achantus-vines and relief-carved monsters on the square foot-piece. A large brass baptismal bowl, a south German work from the 1500s with a later engraved year 1618. Above the font - which is placed in a walled portal-niche in Baroque style by the northside of the choir-extension - hangs a Holy Spirit-dove, probably from a Renaissance sounding board. The pulpit from 1580 is a signed work by "Knud Snedeker Baarger i Melfaar", but it was changed in the middle of the 1600s by placing the reliefs and figures of Anders Mortensen, so there is nothing left from Knud Snedker but the door of the pulpit. Sounding board in high Renaissance and a backpanel with simple paintings from the 1700s. Upon the wall of the nave a magnificent late Gothic crucifix-group by Claus Berg in Odense from ab. 1510-1520. The organ-gallery contains parts from a Renaissance gallery. In the choir a large chandelier from the 1600s. At the door an iron-bound "poor man's block". A pretty iron-bound oak door from 1513 by Anders Smed. In the tower room a Madonna- relief from the 1300s and a late Gothic figure, an image of Anna selvtredie. The two church bells are cast by Mathias Bennig in Lübeck 1596 and 1598. In 1589 the church had besides the two large bells also two small mass bells above the choir in "a pretty little spire". 

In Asperup was in the Middle Ages a main farm, which together with several other farms in the parish was conveyed in 1461 to hr. Eggert Frille by bishop in Ribe Henrik Stangeberg.

The Danes had a fortificated place upon Skodshøj during the Swedish war. In Båring skov ("Tokelun")  was found wall work,which according to a legend belongs to a Røverborg (robber's castle).  

Ab. 1450 were in Asperup mentioned the farms Ellegard and Hiortholm, in Båring in 1461 Westersgard and in 1489 in Kærby a house called Røtz toffth. On Båring mark (field) was probably a village Bolby, which is seen in the field-names Boel Bye Riis, .- Bech, - Rue, mentioned in 1682. A field.- name 1682 Tharup Kaars on Kærby Søndermark might suggest that a village Tarup was placed south of Kærby.

Listed prehistorics: a hill close to the beach east of Båring skov.
Demolished. a round dolmen, a stone grave, a stone cist, 8 hills.

village house, Asperup













In the parish, especially by Båring, are several settlements from  late Stone At Vedels have were found several affaldsgruber (waste pits) from Celtic Iron Age. Urn grave sites from Iron Age are known from Jensbjerg south of Asperup and at Båring skov.

Names from the Middle Ages:
Asperup (1423 Aspedorp); Båring (1446 Baringe, Boringe); Kærby (ab. 1350 Kerby); Ringstedgård (1500s Rinngstedth); Hedegård (1547 Hede); Risumgård (1465 Ryswm); Risumlund (1546 Risomlundt).

Source: Trap Danmark Odense amt, 1956. 
photo 2004: grethe bachmann

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sønderhå church / Sønderhå kirke, Hassing herred, Thisted amt




The high-placed church in Sønderhå is surrounded by old boulder-dikes . It has a Romanesque choir and nave in carved granite ashlars and a late medieval western tower and a newer porch to the north. In the choir are traces of original windows, among those also a circular leprosy-window 97 cm above the plinth on the south side. The south door is bricked-up, but the north door is still in use. The tower, built ab. 1500, probably had a Romanesque predecessor, since the bottom sections are in Romanesque ashlars while the upper sections are yellow monk bricks.

Inside the church are beamed ceilings, and the Romanesque choir arch is preserved with profiled kragsten. The tower room opens to the nave in a point arched archade, and it got a cross-vault in 1928. Upon the bricked communion table is a triptychon, carved ab. 1500 with paintings from 1708. The Romanesque granite font has a south German baptismal basin from ab. 1575. The pulpit is contemporary to the altar piece and has an inscription: "1589 er denne prædikestol indsat. 1711 er denne prædikestol stafferet ." (the pulpit was placed there in 1589 and was painted in 1711 by Thøger Thrane). A lectern from the 1600s with a painted year 1755 is now placed upon the communion table. A priest stool with a sounding board from the 1700s is now in the choir. The pews are from the 1600s.

Kovstrup belonged earlier to a nobility family Munk. In 1389 Christen Munk gave his farm Østergård in Sønderhå to the priest office. In 1455 his son's son is mentioned, Christen Munk in Kovstrup, in 1474 his wife fru Marine in K. and his brother-in-law Peder Jensen in K. in 1485-091. Christen Munk's son of the same name owned (a part of) K., but also his siblings wrote themselves to K., Benedicte Munk in 1481, Laurids M. in 1498 and Jep M. 1504-15.


temporary post will be finished later.

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Haraldsted church / Haraldsted kirke, Ringsted herred, Sorø Amt

The church in Haraldsted has a Romanesque nave and a Gothic sacristy, longhouse choir, porch and tower. The Romanesque nave is a large building in travertine and raw boulder. The southern door is extended, while the northern is bricked up. The longwalls had each three windows, to the north all are kept as bricked up, while to the south only the westernest is traceable from the porch loft, glared behind the window glade. Ab. 1400 the nave had three cross vaults. The bottom section of the western tower, which possibly contains older sections, are built in mixed material, limestone and bricks, and it seems to be dated 1478 in an inscription in limestone on the south wall: "Dominus Ihesus Christus, alpha et omega, deus et homo, Maria, Johannes, sanctus Petrus, Herluf Skave, Fru Ølgoer, dominus Ericus Laurencii, Jep Andersen, Matis Tote. Anno Domini mcdlxx octavo."  Furthermore a clog with trunk is seen. Easternest on the north side an original stairhouse, where the bottom, flatcurved door is bricked up. To the south and west are remade windows in a threefoil-curved "mirror". The tower room was overvaulted after 1500, and a new upper section was built with a stairhouse to the south.On the east side of this and on the west side of the tower are carved limestone heads. The roof gables of the tower were rewalled in 1866. Before the original choir was demolished, was in ab. 1500 built a sacristy in bricks with three small, flatcurved windows and a glare-gable. In the beginning of the 1500s, possibly 1520 (acc. to a choir bench)  the choir was replaced by a longhouse choir with two flatcurved, outside rabbet windows in the south wall. The porch to the south from ab. 1500 was in 1520 enheightened with a floor-divided glare gable.

The walled communion table is covered in a panelwork from ab. 1550-75 with a  painted Renaissance-decoration, which copies intarsia around  a medaillon with a portrait of a man and a woman in contemporary dress. The altarpiece is a carved work in Renaissance from 1601, probably made by a Roskilde master. Altar chalice from ab. 1400, remade 1674. Candelabres in  silver plate from 1719. A pair of  mismatched Gothic candelabres are kept at Skjoldenæsholm, and a pair belonging together are at the National Museum. Altar crucifix  from the 1600s, probably from a coffin. In the footpiece of the altarpiece is an enamel painting  from 1700s, given to the church in 1817.  A side altar for Sct. Jørgen (George) in the choir was removed in 1816, and on this occassion was found a shrine with a relic in a parchment piece with inscription: " Anno 1514 Sanct Michels dag lagde vi..." Another side altar in the choir has disappeared later. Above the font is a thurible from the 1400s. The monstranshouse from 1527 is a rich late Gothic woodcarving with an upper part with spire. Cup-shaped ore cast font by the caster Olaf Henriksen Kegge. The baptismal bowl is from 1665-66. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix with a hovering angel from ab. 1525. The pulpit in Renaissance from ab. 1625 was probably made by Hans Holt in Køge or Copenhagen. At the original place by the wall of the choir is a late Gothic choir-bench, which by an inscription is dated 1520; furthermore a parish clerk-chair in the same work with flower gables and the coat of arms of bishop Lage Urne.The gables from the parish clerk-chair were together with a third late Gothic gable used in a new choir-chair by the north wall of the choir, and its present gables do not belong here. In the door of the nave is an excellent late Gothic door-wing from 1525 with the coat of arms of the pope and bishop Lage Urne. (probably made by the same master as the bishop's celebrant chair in Roskilde cathedral). Bells: 1) 1747 by Joh. Barth. Holtzmann;  2) 1779, M.C Troschell. The church yard has to the south and east partly medieval walls, with a gate to the south.

Knud Lavard's Kapel













Knud Lavard was buried in Haraldsted church (he was later buried in Ringsted church), after he was murdered in the forest at Haraldsted (Harrested Ore, "Lavardskov"), where he the night before had visited his family, Cæcilia, the daughter of Knud den Hellige and her husband Erik, earl and chief of Falster. Where Knud Lavard was killed, tells Saxo, a spring gushed up as a healing power for people (later in the Middle Ages another spring is mentioned, it came up where the bearers placed the stretcher while resting, when they brought the body from Haraldsted church to Ringsted). The tradition connected for a long time the memory about Knud Lavard and the holy spring to "Sværtekilde" 2 km north of Haraldsted village. It now lies upon an open field, but a long time ago it was surrounded by forest.  (here was still in the 1800s held mysterious midsummer feasts). It was also at this place where the chapel, built in the honor of Knud Lavard, supposedly was situated. This chapel had disappeared already in the 1500s, since a letter of 20/ 4 1566 from the Ringsted-abbot Frands Andersen to Frederik II mentions that there was a chapel at the small "Kellegaard" (Kildegård: kilde = spring), where the priest lived, and which earlier was used by the kloster-person, who had the supervision of the chapel for the sake of the indulgence-sale. In 1855, when Frederik VII let make examinations at Ringsted, they also searched in vain for the rests of this chapel at Sværtekilden by Kastrupgård. In some new examinations in 1883 dr. Henry Petersen found the ruin, but in quite another place, namely east northeast of Haraldsted village, at a place, which on the map was referred to as Kildemur ( = spring wall), close to the outskirt of V. After the reformation the chapel was probably used secularly, maybe for scullery or bakery. In the forester's lot outside the Hellebjergskoven (forest) was raised a cross 8/6 1902, Knud Lavard's kors, a 4 m tall wooden cross with a copper roof, given by Thor Lange with the inscription: "Hellig Knud Hertug, + 7 Jan. 1131" and upon a shield "Sursum corda". In 1912 was at the church place raised a memorial, also given by Thor Lange, with one of his inscriptions: " Her stod Haraldsted Kongsgaard." and below "Taarn og Tinde Tid forøder, Fortids Minde Fremtid føder." ( something like: time destructs tower and spire, but the prehistoric memory feeds the future)       













About 700 m east of the church lies the ruin (excavated 1884) of Knud Lavard's kapel, a Romanesque plan with apse, choir and nave, which already in the Romanesque period was extended to the west. The building was built ab. 1150 in travertine ashlars upon a double plinth, above which the walls are kept till 1 m height. The original door-places to the south and north have outer rabbet and inside bevelled frames. Still in the Romanesque period, possibly ab. 1170, the nave was extended to the west, also with travertine and upon a similar plinth. The door in the extension to the west has an outer rabbet, but straight frames. The chapel was overvaulted in ab. 1250, and at the same time the original doors were bricked up, and a new brick door was made in the north wall of the nave. In the western section of the building was found a brick floor in zigzag-pattern, probably from the same period as the vaults.

Haraldsted belonged acc. to Valdemars jordebog to the king and worked probably as its own birk (judicial district). Here was probably a kongsgaard (king's castle) which Knud Lavard's  relative Erik Jarl ab. 1130 had as a vasalry. In 1253 Christoffer I gave hr. Gunzelin, count of Schwerin "all property in Haraldsted" as a vasalry. Ab. 1520 belonged H. or a parts of it under Skjoldenæs vasalry, and followed this later to Roskildegård, and came from here in 1585 to Ringsted kloster. In 1588 the village or parts of it burnt down. In 1621 the vasal of Ringsted vasalry, hr. Axel Urne was given royal command to give the priest in H. free timber for the rebuild of his burnt house. At the same time he was told to let rebuild and repair the church- barn, so the king could sleep there, when he passed the place. In 1622 the king's road between Antvorskov slot and H. is mentioned, and in 1626 the peasants in Roskilde vasalry had restraining order to make a road for the king between H. and Roskilde. There is undoubtedly a close connection between these king's roads and "Kongens Hus" in H.  Still in 1639 neither road or house seem to be provided for. This year Jørgen Seefeldt at Ringsted kloster was ordered to as soon as possible to build the house in H. , which the king had commanded. From Chr. IV's last years and from Frederik III's time are several reports that royal persons resided in H., but under Chr. V. the house was probably demolished and the materials were sold. A farm close south southwest of the church has still got the name "Kongsgården".

On the north side of the eastern part of Langesø (lake) south of the village Valsømagle was a main farm, where the castle bank still exists. It seems that it from the 1300s belonged to a family Dyre. In 1377 is mentioned a Peder Dywr of Hwalsoemagle, in 1396 Jep Pedersen Dyur. In 1451 is mentioned a Jens Diur and 1459-61 Aage Diur in V.magle. In 1459-63 is also mentioned væbner Peder Nielsen Bryske, who used the coat of arms of the family Iis; in 1488-96 is mentioned a modest man Niels Mortensen in V. magle, whose ancestors by the kings had got sealed letters of "some freedom", which letters king Hans confirmed in 1488. In 1496 deeded Niels Mortensen his farm to hr. Henrik Meinstrup, high court judge at Sjælland, (+ 1497), who gave the king 2 other farms for his rights in the farm. It is obvious to assume that it was this farm, which his daughter, fru Anne Meinstrup (after her marriage to Holger Eriksen Rosenkrantz, + 1496.  She was called Anne Holgers) later owned and resided. She was in 1535 under grevefejden (civil war) killed by the peasants at the Sjælland Thing  in Ringsted, and her farm was destroyed by the rebels. After her the farm came probably to her daughter, Sofie Holgersdatter Rosenkrantz (+ 1558) who in 1551 or 52 after her husband hr. Axel Brahe's death gave her brother's children various estate and V. came probably to Erik Rosenkrantz of Arreskov (+ 1575), who in 1573 exchanged it with among others 17 farms in V.village to the king for Kærstrup (later Valdemars slot) at Tåsinge.  The farm was after the exchange equipped as a royal hunting farm with "fish parks" in the lake. In 1574 the king gave Eggert Ulfeldt at Roskildegård command to abolish the newly established royal hunting house in Høed, since one royal hunting house in this district was enough. Frederik II stayed in the following years often at V.gård, from where several royal letteres were issued. In 1585 the vasalry went to the king's "lone wolf ", Andreas von Stufenborg. In 1587 Andreas announced that the buildings were fallen into decay. Later the sources are silent about the farm. It was possibly replaced by the farm Nygård close by, which is mentioned in 1624, when the peasants in Valsømagle complained about that a field, which had earlier belonged to the village, was transferred to Nygård, without their taxes being reduced.  In 1627 high court judge Jakob Ulfeldt at Ringsted kloster had royal command to let the decayed buildings at Nygård break down and use the material for Ringsted kloster's corn barn.

At the north side of Haraldsted sø (lake ) south of Valsømagle village lies the enigmatic earthwork Ridebanen.  It consists of a 3 m high, half circular bank, closed towards the lake but open towards the land, where the two ends of the bank, with a distance of 50 m, join a hillside. A road leads down the hillside to the place inside the banks.

A little west of Ridebanen at the lakefront lies the wellkept castle bank Nygård, the old site of Valsøgård. It consists of a  four-sided bank, surrounded to the west by a moat, to the north, east and south by hollows, which originally might have been water-filled. In the southern hollow are two small rectangular ponds. Upon the castle bank are traces of a boulder foundation of two wings, an eastern and a northern. In the lakefront outside the castle bank are rests of pilework. Still rests of the road across the moat are seen. The farm was destroyed during the grevefejden (civil war) but was probably rebuilt.

Farthest out upon a small landtongue, which stretches from the east out to the low meadows at Gørlev sø, lies the wood-covered castle bank Gørrildsborg or Jarleborg; it consists of a rectangular bank (ab. 55 x 45 m). In connection to this a lesser front-terrain stretches to the northwest; this is hardly a part of the fortification, but only the farthest end of the ridge, in which the bank was cut out. The situation of the castle must probably be viewed in connection to the old "Kongevej" (king's road), which passed east of the bank and the river at Holtebro.

Upon a hill south of Skåninggård in Valsømagle were in 1938 found traces of a monk brick wall upon a boulder foundation. It is not known to where the wall work belongs. Some pieces of ceramic seem to date to the High Middle Ages.

Listed prehistorics: At Kastrupgård a long dolmen with 2 chambers; at Skee Tåstrup a very disorganized dolmen chamber. 6 hills, like the impressive Dronninghøj and Kernehøj, both west of H.
Demolished: A dolmen and 25 hills, mostly in the western part of the parish, Kongshøj west of H. was very impressive.

In Skee Mose (moor), was found a now disappeared settlement from the Maglemose culture. At Valsømagle was a rich and important sacrifice find from the beginning of Bronze Age with 5 axes, a sword, 4 spearheads, a dagger and a fish hook, it was found in two piles with about 80 m's distance. At H. a burial place from late Roman Iron Age.

Names from the Middle Ages :
Haraldsted (1231 Haraldstath, 1357 Konigsharaldstethe); Valsømagle (1321 Walsye Maklæ);  Skee (1256 Scethæ); Skee Tåstrup (ab. 1370 Thorstop); Allindelille (1257 Alunde paruum); Egtvedgård (ab. 1525 Egtuid); Kastrupgård (ab. 1525 Kastrvp). 

Source: Trap Danmark, Sorø amt, 1954.

photo 2004: grethe bachmann