Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tvilum church / Tvilum kirke, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.

Tvilum Church (Klosterkirke), ab. 7 km north of Silkeborg
Tvilum sogn, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.

The altar piece in Århus cathedral

The large Tvilum Church is situated in beautiful surroundings on the meadows at Gudenå river. It was once the northern wing of the long gone Tvilum Augustine kloster. It is now a one-nave tilework-building, divided into three vault-bays, completely without additions. Examinations of the wall-work have shown that in the two eastern bays are rests of a church building from the time ab. 1250. To this was added an over-vaulted sacristy in the north side, of which are still traces of roof and a couple of door-openings. In the choir wall behind the altar is a double niche with trefoil-curves, which also originates from the first church. Later in the 1200s the church was built up till its present height, two bays of octagonal cupola vaults were built, and the walls had large window-groups, except in the wall of the sacristy. In the late Middle Ages was the church extended to the west with another vault-bay, a low Gothic-marked door to the north and south and in the south-west corner was inserted a winding stair up to the room above the vaults. After the demolition of the kloster a porch was built at the south door. In a restoration 1872 this porch was demolished, a new door was built in the gable - and behind it was added a low entrance hall under the organ-gallery. The supporting pillars at the walls of the church are rather new. When it in Pont. Atals IV. 217 is claimed that the church once had a tower, this cannot be confirmed. Upon the choir gable are Fr. V.'s initials and the year 1758. The inside with the three halfcupolar vaults, divided by pointed arch arcades, has kept much of the young Gothic mark of the room.

Two Romanesque thympanum inserted in the wall.

Upon the walled communion table is a large late medieval triptychion, which reminds about Bernt Notke's altar pice in Århus domkirke. In a restoration of the altar piece in 1942 a row of coat of arms were discovered upon the canopy for Peder Rosenørn and Anna de Hemmer. At the same time was restored a large late medieval choir arch crucifix, which now hangs in the orth wall of the nave. A Romanesque granite font with arcade motives, a south German baptismal bowl. A pulpit from ab. 1620 of the same type as the pulpit in Dallerup, re-painted with a new entrance 1955. Several grave memorials from the 1700s.

In a marsh near Gudenå river was Tvilum kloster situated for canons of the Augustine order. It was established in the beginning of the 1200s by monks from Dalby in Skåne and inaugurated to virgin Mary, it was governed by a rural dean. In 1256 there was a complaint about the king's excessive visiting, and in 1513 the rural dean bought by Chr. II freedom to keep borgelejede (rented)horses in the kloster. Its estate was especially in Tvilum, Gjern and Skorup parishes in 1280. The nunnery in Søby was connected to Tvilum kloster. At the reformation the kloster was abandoned and its estate was transferred in 1537 to Silkeborg castle.

Tvilumgård was originally a farm house of the kloster (1428 Lathegurth, Lathegarth) and came in 1537 under Silkeborg Castle. In 1568 Fr. II ordered to built a hunting house there, it was very dilapidated in 1622, but it had to be repaired, in 1631 they had to break down both the hunting house and the farm house - and only the farm house had to be re-built. In 1661 T. was bought by the Randers- mayor Mads Poulsen, whose son kancelliråd Peder Madsen in 1679 was ennobled with the name Rosenørn. Owners from 1767: Trappaud, outparcelling; Bjørn, Rieffesthal, Busck, Dolbjerg Miller , Hjort, Due. From 1961 M. Glytting.

Little is known about the Tvilum kloster-buildings. Upon the church yard were in 1904 found few foundation-rests from a three-winged kloster-plan, where the church was the northern wing. The buildings disappeared soon after the reformation, and there is now knowledge about it.

the old church dike

the old church dike (in November)

When the present main building Tvilumgård was built is not known. Fr. II ordered to build a hunting house. The building was probably a simple half-timbered house, but it was very demolished in the Kejserkrigen, and in 1631 it was broken down. The timber was used for a repair of the farm buildings. After the wars 1658-60 all the buildings were dilapidated. It is not know if it was re-built in Rosenørn's time , but in 1720 the whole plan was declined , in 1768 Pont. Atlas mentions the farm as being without buildings, but before 1785 was built a new farm house. In the 1870s was buil the present main building . In front of the building were earlier placed two Romanesque granite thympanums, one with two lions, another with head and arms of the crucified Christ. Both stones are now inserted in the wall of Tvilum church. A Romanesque window coverstone, which like the two thympanums originates from the old church, is kept at Tvilumgård. The large farm buildings are built in 1854. The large garden continues into the forest.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Tvilum kirke (* 1256 Tvilum, 1268 Twilum); Fårvang
(1200s Fardale, 1586 Faaruong); Horn (1579 Horn); Truust (* 1393 Trust); Kongensbro (1683 Kongens Brou); Tvilumgård (1579 Tuillom Ladegaard, 1664 Tuilumb gaard).

Listed prehistorics: 13 hills, of which Lådnehøj north of Fårvang. Fiskerhøj at Tvilumgård and a hill south of Truust are rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: 75 hills, of which the main part were in groups along Gudenå. Next has at Tvilumgård been a stone grave. At Truust were examined 14 hills, which contained single graves from Stone Age. - A settlement from Gudenåkulturen is known from Sminge sø. In a meadow at Horn were found two winded neckrings from late Bronze Age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt. 1964.

photo Tvilum klosterkirke 2003/2008: grethe bachmann

Friday, January 29, 2010

Tønning church / Tønning kirke, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

Tønning Church, ab. 15 km southwest of Skanderborg
Tønning sogn, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

The church in Tønning has a Romanesque choir and nave with late Gothic additions: a tower to the west and a porch to the north. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars . The preserved north door has a straight coverstone with a curved middle section, and the south door is tracable by frame stones. Upon the north side the choir has one, the nave two round arched windows with monolit coverstones, and a couple of similar window stones lie at the porch. Inside is the round choir arch with finely profiled kragsten with rope windings. In the late Gothic period was in choir and nave built cross vaults and the gable-top to the west was re-walled in monk bricks. Shortly after was the tower built, its cross vaulted bottom room opens to the nave in a broad round arch. A modern staircase in a pentagonal stair-house at the north side leads up to the middle storey. The peephole to the east is divided by a pillar with a single capital, but the upper section of the tower is strongly rebuilt in 1770 and 1806. The porch is also late Gothic.

Upon the vault of the nave are frescoes from the building time, rosettes and funny masks. The communion table is covered in a panelwork from 1593 with horseshoe-portals. The altar piece from ab. 1625 in Renaissance, in details much similar to the piece in Rye church. Baluster-shaped Baroque candelabres given 1674 by Gese Heckmann. Romanesque granite font in Horsens-type with lion figures and a low trapeze-shaped foot. A south German bowl 1550-75. A pulpit in late Renaissance was given 1642 by herredsfoged Anders Jensen and wife and its sounding board in 1643 by Martin Lauridsen in Gammelstrup and his wife. Threemaster church ship, "Harbyes Minde" from 1880. A bell without inscription from Renaissance-period. - Grave menorials in the church from 1600s and 1700s.

Gudenå river forms the eastern border of the parish.

A main farm in Gammelstrup belonged to Bo Høg, who lived ab. 1375. His daughter Gunner, widow after hr. Erland Kalf, pawned it in 1411 to her brother's son Lage Christiernsen Rød (Høg); 1485 G. was by law given to the younger Bo Høg's heirs and belonged in 1560 to his daughter's daughter Bege Rosenkrantz, widow after Anders Skeel.

Names in the Middle Ages: Tønning (1411 Tynnyngh, 1456 Tøning); Gammelstrup (1411 Gamælstorpp Hofgardh); Korsballe (* 1472 Korsballj).

Listed prehistorics: 7 hills, of which Låddenhøj at Troelstrup Overgård and Oddeskærhøj at Skovlund in Troelstrup are rather large, the same is another hill, which is placed a litttle east of the previous.
Demolished or destroyed: 47 hills. In the northernest of Trebjergshøje were found a bronze sword and a gold-fingerring from early Bronze Age . In a hill at Troelstrup was a grave from early Roman period with a bronze bowl, baler, sieve, 7 silver needles etc.; in another hill a grave from late Roman period with shield plate, gold ring, gaming pieces, clay vessels, etc.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Tønning kirke 2003: grethe bachmann

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tåning church / Tåning kirke, Voer herred, Skanderborg amt.

Tåning Church, ab. 5 km southwest of Skanderborg
Tåning sogn, Voer Herred, Skanderborg amt.

The whitewashed church in Tåning has a Romanesque choir and nave with late Gothic additions, a tower to the west and a porch to the south. The Romanesque part is built mainly in small travertine stones. The original south door, which is round arched with small kragbånd, is in use, while the north door, like two round arched windows on the north side of the nave and one on the north side of the choir, are outside bricked-up. The east window of the choir is traced vaguely. Inside is the north window of the choir seen as a niche. The eastern section of the choir has like in the nearby church Ovsted/Ousted a strange triangular inside apse. In the south east corner is a small door to a narrow winding staircase, which leads up across the vault. In the north side of the apse is a small built-in cupboard. In late Gothic period ab. 1475 was built cross vaults in choir and nave. Later, in the beginning of the 1500s, was added a tower, built mainly in monk bricks, its cross vaulted bottom room opens to the nave in a pointed arch. A very low free staircase leads up to a small door to a staircase through the wall, which is so low that you almost have to crawl through. The porch from the Reformation period is built in large cleaved granite stones and monk bricks.

Tåning, a curious cock opposite the church

The altar piece from 1613 is a good joinery in rich late Renaissance with painting from the 1700s. The altar chalice was re-newed in 1718 after a fire. Candelabres from 1942. A beautiful high Gothic thurible from ab. 1375-1400, the original hanging iron is preserved. The small Romanesque granite font has low reliefs upon the basin of three lions and a bird and a strange motive looking like a head upon a pole. A south German bowl ab. 1575 with majuskel inscription "Aus Not hilf Got" repeated four times. A pulpit in high Renaissance 1595. The pews has gable pieces in Renaissance ab. 1600. A small defect church ship, the fullrigger "Svanen" from ab. 1910 is placed in the middle storey of the tower. - Upon the church yard north of the choir 3 peasant gravestones in granite from 1700s.

landscape at Tåning Å

Uldan Nielsen conveyed 1268 his estate in Horndrup and Havreballe to Øm kloster. Havreballegård belonged since to the kloster until the reformation, it was then endowed to the væbner Ove Pedersen, who continued as the king's vasal until 1543. Soon after came H. under Århusgård, then under Skanderborg vasalry and Det skanderborgske rytterdistrikt (horsemen district). Later owners: Haarup, Frich, van Deurs, Crome, Hedelund.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Tåning (* 1234 Thøringh, * 1248 Thøning, 1200s Thyrning, 1610 Thornningh); Horndrup (* 1248 Houndrup, 1200s Horningthorp); Havreballegård (* 1248 Haffuerballig).

Listed prehistorics: The hill Råhøj northwest of Tåning.
Demolished or destroyed: 5 dolmens and 25 hills, the two dolmens were southwest of Horndrup, the three west of Tåning. - At Fredensholdm were found 3 earth graves from dyssetid (dolmen period).

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Tåning kirke 2003: grethe bachmann

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vedslet church / Vedslet kirke, Voer herred, Skanderborg amt.

Vedslet Church, ab. 9 km south of Skanderborg.
Vedslet sogn, Voer herred Skanderborg amt.

The church in Vedslet has apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period with late Gothic additions: tower to the west and porch to the south. The Romanesque section is in granite ashlars; the contemporary apse is in raw granite boulder and travertine. From original details is the straight-edged door, which is in use, and upon apse a somewhat changed window. In the north wall of the choir is a bricked-up window, and several window-monolites lie upon the church yard. Inside is the choir arch with kragbånd, and in the bottom of the wall is a picture ashlar with a jumping lion. The apse has kept its halfcircular vault, and the nave has a beamed ceiling, while the choir in the late Gothic period, ab. 1475, had a cross vault - and at the same time was built a a partition wall towards the apse, which was furnished as a sacristy. In the late Middle Ages, probably ab. 1520-23, was the low tower in monk bricks added; its flatlofted bottom room opens in a round arch towards the nave. The access to the middle storey is via an iron staircase on the north side. The double round arched peep-holes are divided by middle pillars. The tower was face walled in 1963. The porch is likewise from the Reformation period with a flat round arched door.

In the choir was in 1924 frescoes brought to light of apostles and a strange Christ-figure and the coat of arms of Jens Iversen Lange. The communion table is covered by a simple panel from ab. 1550, and the cleansed altar piece is a carving in late Renaissance ab. 1635 with newer paintings. It is together with the pulpit repaired in 1953.Baluster-shaped Baroque candelabres ab.1650-75. A Romanesque granite font of Horsens-type with lions in flat relief. A small south German bowl ab. 1550-75, inserted in a larger bowl. A pulpit in late Renaissance 1641 with sounding board from 1639, given by Oluf Olufsen Snedker in Hedemølle. Pews from 1634. Bell 1733 by Caspar König. Memorial tablet over those killed in the war at Dybbøl 1864.

One km south of the church is a place named Troldkirke, where the church according to the legend was meant to be built, but the trolls prevented it's building. When cultivating the area large granite boulders and wall rests of monk bricks were found.

Names in the Middle Ages: Vedslet * 1391 Wedslett, 1405 Wetzslæt); Grumstrup (* 1353 Grumstrup); Assendrup (1405 Ascerdorp); Dalsgård (* 1391 Dallsgaard).
Listed prehistorics: A small hill overgrown with thicket upon a foreland in the northern part of the parish.

Demolished or destroyed: Two stone graves and 11 hills. - From Grumstrup are known settlements from early and late Roman period, and northwest of the town was found a rich clay vessel grave from early Roman period.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Vedslet kirke 2002: grethe bachmann

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Veng Kloster church / Veng klosterkirke, Hjelmslev herred, Skanderborg amt.

Veng Kloster Church ab. 15 km east of Silkeborg
Veng sogn, Hjelmslev herred, Skanderborg amt.

The tall church, inaugurated to Trinity and originally connected to a Benedictine kloster which was founded by the royal dynasty, is not only Denmark's oldest kloster church but also one of our strangest architectural memorials. The church shows remarkable deviances from the usual Romanesque plan of Danish village churches. It has a choir with a halfcircular apse, a nave, from which eastern part goes two transepts - each in two storeys - and a western tower, which later was broken down to the height of the nave's roof edge. The building is in travertine ashlars. A porch was added in the late Middle Ages outside the south door of the nave, and a tower built above the southern transept, both in monk bricks. The church has several original windows .
The whole church is richly decorated with corbels, pillars, bands, corniches, niches, friezes,capitals etc. The apse has an original half cupola vault. The south door is somewhat re-made, while the north door, which is bricked up, still has its original frame with a thympanum field. Arcades connect the nave to the transepts, which are higher than the nave and they might have been low towers. The square tower with corniches has in its reduced form rests of two storeys. From a low door in the tower room leads a barrel vaulted staircase, which runs out in a winding staircase in the gable. From here is access to the second storey, which was abandoned in the late Middle Ages when the tower room was vaulted.

Almost everything in the building has ideals in eastern English building architecture, and there is no doubt that an English building master was the chief of the building work. More than any other existing church in Denmark this building bears witnesss about the connection across the Northsea, which the Danish church had in the early Middle Ages. Some of the form and decorations are inspired by Anglo Saxon architecture from the time before the Norman Conquest 1066, and this tricked some researchers to date the church to the late 1000s. But most stylistic details are Anglo Normannic, the decoration of the choir is not known in England until ab. 1100, and the characteristic profiles of the altar niche in the second storey of the tower is younger. The building cannnot have started before ab. 1100. The changes of the church since the first building have not damaged the general impression. In the late Middle Ages were built cross vaults in choir, nave, southern transept and tower room. Probably at the same time was added the bell tower above the southern transept. The late Gothic porch was in 1792 equipped with a pretty classistic portal.

There were traces of fine decorations of Romanesque frescoes on the half cupola vault of the apse, in the arcade of the choir and in the chapels of the transepts. Upon the vault of the nave were found decorations. All frescoes have been white-washed. - A walled communion table. Simple altar piece in Renaissance from ab. 1600, in the large field a painting, probably from 1655. Upon the altar has been an embroidered altar cloth from the 1500s with biblical images, which was given to the church by two foreign noble ladies; it is now kept at the National Museum. Upon the altar is Chr. IV's bible from 1633 and heavy ore candelabres from ab. 1700. A stately Romanesque granite font with double lions. A baptismal bowl Nürnberg-work ab. 1550 with engraved coat of arms and year 1623. Pulpit in Renaissance from ab. 1600. Contemporary sounding board, changed 1792. Upon the National Museum is kept an old tower clock work from the church. - Several grave memorials in the church and chapels.

Niels Jonsen Munk willed in 1340 estate in Veng and Vissing parish to Øm kloster, which in 1343 gave him a life's letter on among others Stabel and Søballe. Jens Slet from Breum conveyed 1327 estate in Nr. Vissing to Øm kloster, which his son Niels Slet confirmed 1358. Niels Lille from Vissing is mentioned 1330 and 1339.

Veng kloster was situated at the church; it was a Benedictine kloster established by "Valdemar I's predecessors". In the 1160s was the kloster in decline, there were only three monks and the abbot lead an irregular life. Bishop Svend of Århus therefore made the king transfer Veng kloster in 1166 to the Cistercian monks in Sminge, who were not satisfied with their residence, but they did not grow happier in Veng, since they were harrassed by a fru Margrethe, who wanted to change Veng kloster into a nunnery. In 1168 they moved to Kalvø; in 1217 the pope confirmed Øm kloster as owners of Veng church.

Øm kloster bought in 1236 one third of Venggård in an exchange with Niels Mogensen's sons; it owned in 1554 all Veng. In 1484 and 1492 is mentioned Stig Nielsen of Veng, he was possibly the vasal of the kloster. After the reformation the farm came under Skanderborg Slot, later under the cavalry-district. Later owners Skandorff, Møller Bus, Rosenkrantz. 1942 Johannes Jensen.

At Veng was a sacred well, Skt. Anne kilde, and a sacred well at Søballe.

When digging a grave at the church yard was in 1868 found a skin purse with 43 coins, the earliest from Frederik II.

Names in the Middle Ages:
Veng (* ab. 1150 Weng, 1200s Wøngi); Hårby (* 1264 Horby); Nr. vissing (* 1327 Wising); Søballe (* 1307 Søballj).

Listed prehistorics: A dolmen chamber with cover stone, which originally belonged to a two-chamber longdolmen, southeast of Veng. And 10 hills, of which one at Nr. Vissing is rather large. North of Sophiendal is at a hill 3 Lådnehøje.
Demolished or destroyed: 33 hills and a stone grave east of Nr. Vissing. Early Roman period's graves were found at Veng Nygård and at Nr. Vissing, in last mentioned place was a bronze casserole and a shield handle.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Veng kirke 2002/2006: grethe bachmann

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Vinding church / Vinding kirke, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

Vinding church, ab. 12 km south of Silkeborg
Vinding sogn, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

The church without a tower has a Romanesque choir and nave with a porch to the south from the late 1700s. The Romanesque building is mainly built in iron hard pan, and the choir and the north side of the nave has kept an outside decoration of blind arcades in to storeys, in the top with arch friezes . The round arched south door is in use, while the north door is only traceable. A round arched window is bricked up as a niche in the north wall of the choir. Inside is the round choir arch with profiled kragsten, and the nave has a beamed ceiling. In late Gothic period ab. 1475 was built a cross vault in the choir and the western gable was partly re-walled. In present time, probably in the late 1700s, was the south side of the nave re-walled or face-walled, and a very simple porch was built. From this time is probably also the nave's halftimbered roof gable to the east. The choir vault was in the building period decorated with light, very elegant frescoe-ornaments with lilies and trefoils.

The altar piece stands above a simple, in present time cleansed Renaissance communion table-front, it is a joinery from ab. 1600 with modern paintings from 1962 by Ingolf Røjbæk, and an untraditional decoration in powerful colours. The earlier painting is from 1700s, and upon the backside is "Painted by Schaumann in Horsens 1840". Altar chalice given 1742 by Chr. IV. Brass candelabres from the 1700s, and a couple small table candlesticks from the same time. A Romanesque granite font with lions of Galten-type, partly walled-in the choir arch. A small south German bowl ab. 1550-75. A good late Gothic choir arch crucifix from the beginning of the 1500s. A simple pulpit ab. 1700. A young Gothic bell from ab. 1300 with majuskel-inscription "Magister Svene me fecit" hangs in a complicated bell-tower at the western gable. Inside in the western gable is a Romanesque granite grave stone of Århus-type with cross,winding-ornaments and angels and an indistinct majuskel-inscription. Below the pulpit a piece of another Romanesque grave stone.

A fine church dike. This dike has not been spoiled by removing the plants like they do at many other churches. Actually it is against the law to destroy the old church dikes.

Fuglsang belonged during some years to dr. Stanley, who was a son of the famous explorer ; he sold it in 1918 to Vilhelm Jørgensen of Løndal; but it is now sold and outparcelled.

Listed prehistorics: two longhills and 24 hills. An unusually pretty high-placed group is Vinding Ottehøje of which are only kept 6, 3 of these are very large. A large hill is also Bondehøj northwest of Vinding. In Overskov under Løndal is the group Marmildshøje, 11 lesser, but well-kept hills. The two longhills Givehøjene, both 47 m long, are situated close together at the western border of the parish.
Demolished or destroyed: 53 hills. In the base of Storehøj at Fuglsang was found a petroglyph stone with the picture of a ship. West of Lykkensbro at Vinding were found graves from early Roman Iron Age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Vitved church / Vitved kirke, Hjelmslev herred, Skanderborg amt.

Vitved church, ab. 8 km east of Skanderborg
Vitved sogn, Hjelmslev herred, Skanderborg amt.

The small white-washed church, which is situated upon a hill in the eastern edge of the village, has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic extension with a a ridge turret from ab. 1700 and a late Gothic porch to the south. The Romanesque sections are built in granite ashlars. From original details are only the south door of the nave, which has some strange ornamented ashlars. The thympanum is decorated with a crucifixion-picture in high relief; it is now above the door of the porch. Upon the church yard is a monolite coverstone from a Romanesque window. In the southwestern corner of the extension is walled-in an corner ashlar with animal-reliefs and a long ashlar with plant-windings, which probably originally was a kragbånd in the choir arch. The choir arch has now a pointed arch from the late Middle Ages, made in connection to the building of a cross vault in the choir. Two hiding-niches in the choir are probably secondary. The nave has a beamed ceiling. The western extension - which is more narrow than the nave and probably once supported a tower - is built in monk bricks and granite boulder. The bottom room with an octagonal cross vault is connected to the nave with a round arched arcade. The small ridge turred is half-timbered. The porch is built in monk bricks. The church has now neo-Romanesque windows.

plant-windings, probably once a kragbånd in the choir.

A new communion table panel. A simple altar piece in rural Baroque from the late 1700s with modern decoration and a Christ-picture 1950. Altar chalice 1600. Ore-cast altar candelabres in late Gothic type ab. 1500. A Romanesque granite font with lion reliefs upon the basin and a strange low foot-plate. A brass baptismal bowl given to the church by Peter Trøner 1715, but with old coat of arms and initials for Hans Axelsen Arenfeldt of Palsgård and Rugård and his wife Anne Marsvin, connected to this the year 1599. Pulpit in Renaissance from 1639, according to inscription given by Povel Sørfrensen. At the door a cast money block from ab. 1850. Bell 1851. In the porch walled-in a portrait stone for Peder Eskelsen (+ 1701) and wife Helle Andersdatter (+ 1707).

Vitved Church, ashlars with animal reliefs.

Erik Menved owned in 1299 1/6 of Vitved.

Names in the Middle Ages: Vitved (* 1283 Wittuidt); Fastrup (* 1316 Farstrup).

Listed prehistorics: The hill Ørnekol near the south border, no knowledge about other hills in the parish.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Vitved kirke 2004: grethe bachmann

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Voerladegård church / Voerladegård kirke, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

Voerladegård Church, ab. 11 km west of Skanderborg
Voerladegård sogn, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.

The large white-washed church has apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period with a late Gothic tower in the southwest corner of the nave and a porch from the 1600s to the south. The tall Romanesque building is mostly built in travertine with use of raw granite boulder and hard pan. Choir and nave have below the cornices round arched friezes, and both original round arched doors are preserved, the south door in use, the north door bricked-up. Several Romanesque windows are preserved more or less visible, the original choir arch stands with kragbånd, and the apse has kept its half domical vault. In the late Gothic period ab. 1475 was in the choir built a cross vault and in the nave two cross vaults and two octagonal rib vaults. At the same time were inserted large pointed arch windows. After the building of the vaults was built a tower in the half broadth of the nave. The latest addition is the porch, which is built in monk bricks and probably is from the beginning of the 1600s.

The altar piece contains parts of a piece from 1752 with a painting. (It was re-made 1871 and a simple painting was inserted. This paiting now hangs in the church.) A small altar crucifix in late Gothic type, but probably carved in the Renaissance period. Altar candelabres given 1593 by Peder Fisk and Johanne Madsdatter Somer in Voer Klostermølle. Romanesque granite font with lion figures in classic type. Smooth bowl. Pulpit in high Renaissance ab. 1590-1600, same type as in Falling church (Hads herred). Two bells, one from the 1800s by P.P.Meilstrup, the other 1957 from Smithske Støberier. The church belonged in the Middle Ages to Voer kloster.


Klostermølle, Old millstones

The main building Voer Klostermølle, which was built in 1872, is situated upon the medieval Voer Kloster's land. Although remains have often been found from the kloster-period, the foundations from a considerable building plan just below level have never been examined thoroughly. In a small digging in 1935 in the garden east of the main building were found several skeletons, which bear witness about the hospistal work of the monks - there are also slags from a bog iron work and rests of a tilework. In the yard west of the main building and partly under the southern stable seems to have been the place of the kloster church. A few carved Romanesque granite ashars and a pillar capital are kept at the farm; a garage and a fence wall are built from the found tiles.

In a papal letter of 1468 is mentioned that the kloster burnt down three times; in 1535 it was decided that the kloster church had to be parish church for Voer and Sønder Vissing, but in 1560 the altar pieces of the church were divided between among others Dronningborg in Randers and the vasal Erik Rosenkrantz of Landting's parish church Ejsing (Ginding herred) - and after this time the closter building is not mentioned. The materials from here were probably used for the building in Skanderborg. When the stable building was built in 1874 a 40 m long wall was found at the north east corner, a 1,3 m high tower in heavy monk brick walls, 10 m square. From the closter, which was situated upon the flat land between the lakeside and the steep forest hills at the outflow of Gudenå into Mossø, was only kept the mill. The old main building, a long red-washed wing from ab. 1800 is placed south of the mill.

Voer Klostermølle was after the reformation occupied by copyholders under the Crown. Later sold; owners de Thygeson of Mattrup, Pontoppidan Møller of Addithus, Bodenhoff and Brüel; Now A/S.

At Dørup mark is a sacred well.

Listed prehistorics: 8 hills of which two Bavnehøje south of Dørup are rather large. From the group Trehøje are only preserved two.
Demolished or destroyed: Two dolmens, 1 longhills and 57 hills.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Voerladegård/Klostermølle 2004/2007: grethe bachmann

Friday, January 15, 2010

Voldby church / Voldby kirke, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.

Voldby church, ab. 17 km west of Århus
Voldby sogn, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.

The church is a Romanesque ashlar building with a later added tower. The Romanesque section is the choir with a flat altar wall and a nave, built in large carved ashlars. A thympanum with a relief of Christ between the symbols of Matthæus and Johannes origins from the south door. It is now placed above the western door in the tower. In the north and east wall of the choir are traces of two Romanesque windows, both bricked up, the northern visible outside as a niche. The tower, which earlier was larger, was in the 1800s rebuilt with small red stones. The narrow tower room is now the entrance hall, in the weather vane is the year 1880. In the white-washed inside, where the Romanesque choir arch is preserved, is choir and nave covered in a panel ceiling, possibly from the middle of the 1800s.

trace of a male head in the church wall.

Upon the communion table with two Gothic-style brass candelabres stands a Renaissance altar piece from ab. 1600, moved to Voldby church ab. 1850 from Hammel church; the main field has side wings and double Corinthic pillars with decoration belts as a frame around a painting from the 1700s, in the top field a painting. In the church was in 1924 replaced a late Catholic triptychon (found once at the loft by grev Mogens Frijs, restored and then kept at Frijsenborg, before it came to the church again) with a picture of the 10.000 knights martyrdom and upon the wings Mary Magdalene and the Saint-bishop Sct. Leodag of Autun, the altar piece was carved by Claus Berg. Romanesque granite font, rather re-cut. A Renaissance pulpit ab. 1600 moved to Voldby church in 1889 from the demolished Nebel church (Voer herred); it has the coat of arms of Claus Munds and wife in the postament field, and a supporting pillar with Corinthic pillars with decoration-belts as a frame around round arched fields with achantus balusters. Two chandeliers, copies of Renaissance-style from 1936.

Names in the Middle Ages: Voldby (* 1323 Wolby).

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 7 now demolished hills.

photo voldby kirke 2004/2007:grethe bachmann

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Vrads church / Vrads kirke, Vrads herred, Skanderborg amt.

Vrads Church, ab. 12 km southwest of Silkeborg
Vrads sogn, Vrads herred, Skanderborg amt.

Vrads church has a choir and nave and a porch to the north. The choir and nave are in raw granite boulder, probably from Romanesque period, although only the choir arch and the round arched north door are preserved. The plinth and the granite ashlars on the western gable are probably from a repair in the late 1500s when the church was dilapidated and was allowed to fetch carved boulders from the desolate churches in Tømmerby and Brande (royal letter of 14/3 1592). A Romanesque window lintel is placed in the dike of the church yard. The choir has a flat plastered ceiling, the nave a beamed ceiling. At the western gable is a bell tower and a tool shed.

A new altar panel in Renaissance style, a carved altar piece from 1654 similar to Skorup church (Gjern herred) and like this with carved coat of arms of the vasal at Silkeborg Mogens Høg and his two wives, in the middle field was brought to light an original painting. The altar chalice was in 1754 given by Christen and Rasmus Langballe, the altar candelabres in 1653 by Kirstine Munk of Boller. From a Catholic altar origins a late Gothic figure, Mary and the child, now oak-painted and placed in the nave. A baptismal font in Gotland limestone, neo-Gothic (ab. 1300), but partly re-carved in Renaissance style. A baptismal bowl in copper from the 1700s. A pulpit in Renaissance (ab. 1600) later decorated with figures from the same workshop as the altar piece. The bell was cast 1767 by Caspar Kønig in Viborg.

Opposite the church is a popular old-fashioned grocery with a café.

I Grane plantage findes Tingdalen, hvori en stensamling på det sted, hvor herredstinget menes at have været holdt.

En meget betydelig del af sognet er dækket af skove og plantager.

Ved bortkørsel af sand fra en høj i Kongsø plantage lidt vest for Kongsøgården fandtes 1904 en hensmuldrende læderpung med nogle få sølvsager (23 g) and 666 coins, mainly German, Anglo-Saxon and Danish, the earliest from Hardicanute.

South of Torup sø, a little north of the farm Engdal, is a 2-3 m high circular bank (diameter ab. 40 m) in a small lake. It seems to be a medieval castle bank.

Vrads Sande

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Vrads (* 1343 Wradtz, 1573 Wradtzbye); Torup (* 1517 Thorrup); Store og Lille Bredlund( 1510 Brelwnd); Kærshoved (* 1500 Kiershoffuit); Godrum (1631 Gade Rønnær, Goederømme); Tyklund (1579 Tyckelund); Knop (* 1517 Kolbenknob marck, 1586 Kolpenknub); Ansø Møllegård ( * 1481 Ansøe marck, 1586 Ansøegaardtt, Ansøemølle); Snabegård (1610 Snnaab, 1664 Snæbe); Favrholt (1610 Fouerhollth); Vipskovgård (1610 Huepschoff, 1664 Huipschouff); Kolpensig(1586 Kolpensiig); Lystruphave (1688 Lystrup Hauge); Sillerupgård (1489 Sillerop).

Listed prehistorics: Two longhills, 87 hills and a circular paved burial site. One of the longhills is the 58 m long Givkonen at Knop. Several hills are rather big: Vrads høj west of Vrads, two hills in Kongsø plantage, one in Knudskov plantage and one, somewhat outdigged in the outskirts of Langbjerg plantage.

Demolished or destroyed: 44 hills, almost all hills are or were in the southeastern part of the parish. Until 1905 the parish was annex of Vinding , but became an independent parish.

Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.

photo Vrads kirke etc: 2003/2003/2008: gretha bachmann