Asdal, Region Nordjylland, Asdal sogn, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring Kommune
Before 1970: Asdal, Asdal sogn, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring Amt.
The first owner of Asdal is from the 1300s, hr Niels Ovesen of the nobility - which by the genealogs from their family coat of arms named Panter. Niels Ovesen Panter and his wife fru Johanne Andersdatter (Stenbrikke) owned the manor - but besides Asdal Niels Ovesen was the owner of much estate in this region, like Skovgaard and Kærsgaard in Vennebjerg herred and Knivholt in Horns herred. He was a wealthy and respected man, he was a knight and had two of his children married into the zealand nobility family Lunge. The daughter Ingeborg, ( widow after 1429), married ca. 1390 the later rigsråd and hofmester Anders Jacobsen Lunge.
Asdal was inherited by Niels and Johanne's son væbner Anders Nielsen Panter, who in 1393 wrote himself of Asdal and was married 1) to Regitze Jacobsdatter Lunge , who died soon after. Anders died 1405 or 1406 but he had before this married Ide Lydersdatter Holck (+ earliest 1425) , who in 1406 owned Asdal and later married hr Lyder Kabel of Fuglsang (+ earliest 1440), who in 1415 wrote himself of Asdal. Lyder Kabel and Bonde Due of Torup (Hillerslev herred) on behalf of his wife achieved in 1419 by a share of inheritance 2/3 of Asdal, while 1/3 of the manor went to Anders Nielsen Panter's sister fru Ingeborg Nielsdatter Panter's (+ earliest 1411) husband , rigshofmester hr. Anders Jacobsen Lunge (+ 1429).
|Asdal, foto Den store Danske.|
|Kalø castle ruin, foto GB|
* It was said that Erik Eriksen Banner helped Gustav Vasa to escape, and if this is true then Sweden has got something to thank Erik Eriksen Banner for.
|Asdal voldsted, |
Fru Ingeborg Skeel was more than anyone else a personality in the legends from Vendsyssel, not because of her virtues - often usual legends from other places (called vandresagn = wandering legends) who were localised to Voergaard (and never to Asdal) where she had the main role in the legends. Her authority must have been stronger than that of other noble ladies, like her economic sense and energy .She had a fine cattle herd at Voergaard, she traded in grain and bricks and she let her people be merchants and trade on markets etc. She kept her churches in good condition and she had in general a good relation with the Clergy.
Otte Banner and fru Ingeborg had no children. Otte Banner wished to give Asdal to his brother Anders Banner's sons with Dorthe Rud, but he claimed that the king had to make the gift unshakeable. The king accepted this, but it was however Otte's sister Karen who after Ingeborg Skeels death in 1604 and after long and complicated judicial feuds became the owner of Asdal. Karen Banner died in 1611, and Asdal had a troubled destiny in the next years. Several aristocrats had part in it.
Above mentioned Anders Nielsen Banner's daughter Anne Andersdatter Banner (+ latest 1490) , who was married to Jens Due Thott of Egholm (Voldborg herred) had inherited a sister-part in A., which she according to a thing's witness in 1492 gave to her brother's children. Among these rigsråd and rigsmarsk Erik Eriksen Banner (+ 1554) inherited Asdal manor and estate, which later came to his son Otte Eriksen Banner, married in 1560 to Ingeborg Skeel of Voergård, who after his death in 1585 kept Asdal until her death in 1604, since Otte Banner before his death had conveyed manor and estate to his family, but in a way so fru Ingeborg kept the estate or a part of it as fief for the rest of her life. Two brother-sons, Erik Andersen Banner of Gjessingholm (+ 1597) and Otte Andersen Banner of Studstrup (Rinds herred) (+ 1625), inherited Asdal, to which the first mentioned wrote himself in 1595, while Otte Banner's sisters Berete Banner (+ 1592), married to Knud Bille of Lindved (+ 1592), Magdalene Banner (+ 1597), widow after Iver Krabbe of Krabbesholm (+ 1561), and Karen Banner of Høgholt, widow after Gregers Trudsen Ulfstand of Gl. Estrup etc. (+ 1582), achieved a part of the spread estate. Later owners of Asdal: the families Ulfstand, Podebusk, Rantzau, Skeel, etc. The owner in 1935 and still in 1959 was Jens Andreasen from Guldager (Vrejlev sogn). And else various owners up til present.
Owner from 1989: Jens Peter Lemmergaard Lunden
In a glass box above the main entrance of Asdal Hovedgaard are the rests of a very old ham-bone from a pig. The ham-bone is said to be over 400 years old - and caused by its durability and strength it has supernatural powers, which will be transferred to the house where it is kept. If the ham is removed strange things will happen at Asdal.
Some hundred years ago the pigs eat mast in the beech- and oak woods. The lands of Asdal Hovedgård and Odden were adjacent. In the hunting a pig was shot and the owners of Asdal Hovedgård and Odden disagreed about to whom the pig belonged. The disputes lead to a lawsuit and the outcome was that the owners of Asdal and Odden had to divide the pig lengthwise. The bacon-sides had to be hang up on the wall in the two manors - and he who was able to keep the ham fresh for the longest period was the true owner of the pig. The ham is still at Asdal, but it has disappeared at Odden.
|Asdal voldsted, foto GB|
|Asdal voldsted, foto GB|
|Asdal church, foto GB|
The small white-washed church is situated in a desolate place southeast of Asdal Hovedgård (manor). Asdal church was from the beginning only a chapel for Asdal manor. The parish was earlier named "Asdal Kapels sogn" and Niels Persøn is mentioned in 1476 as a curate at Asdal. The church is a late Gothic longhouse building from the last half of the 1400s with a half-timbered porch to the north, probably from the 1700s. The Gothic building is built in monk bricks mixed with a few granite stones. In the north wall inside is a broad point arched glare, possibly a bricked-up archade for a later broken down sacristy or burial vault. The ceiling in the undivided room is dressed in boards. The little pretty porch has black tarred half-timbering.
|Asdal church, foto GB.|
Listed prehistorics: 3 hills, i.e. the high placed Hellehøj; one is possibly the rest of a stone grave.
Demolished or destroyed: 13 hills, all in the southern hilly part of the parish. At Rugtved is found a burial site with stone graves from early Roman Iron Age, and upon the low terrain close to the border of Uggerby was found a settlement with fields from Celtic Iron Age. From Stejlbjerg is a finding with 3 guldbrakteater (gold plates) and 18 glass pearls.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Asdal (1393 Asedal); Skovsgårde (1638 Schouffgaard); Rækær ( 1662 Rikier, 1688 Ree Kier); Skoven ( 1688 Schoufven); Heden (1688 Heeden); Puthede (1662 Putheede); Mosen (1688 Mossen); Kjul (1419 Kyle Mølle, 1662 Nør Kiil, Sønder Kiil, 1688 Nør-Sønderkyfvel); Stejlbjerg
(1662 Steilberig); Rugtved (1688 Routued); Hulskov ( 662 Halschou, 1688 Houl Schouf); Rynken (1688 Røncken ) ; Gravholt (1688 Graufverholtz Huus.).
Trap Danmark, Hjørring amt, 1960; Danske slotte og herregårde, bd. 10, Vendsyssel