Now: Region Nordjylland, Brønderslev kommune, Tolstrup sogn
Hjermitslevgaard is the easternest estate in Øster Hjermitslev village. Hjermitslevgaard was already in ab. year 1400 a noble farm which belonged to Niels Vognsen of a noble family with three blue male heads in their coat of arms. He and his wife Ingerd Hermansdatter Flemming Pennow, (who was widowed in 1425) gave a farm in Øster Hjermitslev to Tolstrup kirke. His son Morten Nielsen Vognsen became the owner after his father. He was written to Hjermitslevgaard in 1444. He had 6 children,who probably all had a part in the estate. Niels Mortensen was probably the first owner. He had a feud with Børglum kloster. Another owner, his brother Vogn Mortensen was in 1491 at the king's court to bring a case against Børglum kloster, but the kloster won. A sister Ingerd Mortensdatter - married to Niels Pedersen Skovgaard of Egebjerg - had also a part in Hjermitslevgaard, like another sister, Ide Mortensdatter - who was married to Thord Roed of Vaarst. Their daughter fru Maren Thordsdatter let "occupy" the estate for her and her children. Finally a brother to the first mentioned, Johan Mortensen Vognsen had a part in the estate, where he lived in 1481, it seems like he outbought his co-heirs.
|The remains of Hjermitslevgaard.|
In 1668 Hjermitslevgaard was taken over by the Crown, the manor was sold and had various owners, in 1678 the wellknown witch hunter Jørgen Arenfelt of Rugaard. In 1988 Carl Felician Szabad, in 2000 Søren von Dosenrode.
Hjermitslevgaard is listed.
In the choir was a window in the eastern gable, which outside is bricked up with granite a ashlars, but inside is marked in granite ashlars. The porch is in ashlars and monk bricks upon a profiled plinth. The upper section of the gable with glares and steps is new. The late Gothic tower was probably about 1770 demolished down to the height of the nave, and the church was without tower until 1937, when a new tower was built upon the old tower base.
Triptycon altar piece createde by Svend Engelund from 1984. The altar piece from the late 1880s is in the chapel. Some late Gothic figures from a disappeared altar piece are now in the National Museum. The chalice was given by Ove Skeel and Sophie Hedvig Rantzau, the baluster shaped ore candelabres were given by Jens Thomesen Dan and Mette Mortensdatter Vognsen, Hjermitslevgaard. The simple Romanesque granite font upon a circular foot stands in the western part of the nave. The pulpit is a good joinery in Renaissance from 1612 with a contemporary sounding board. A late Gothic crucifix. The church bell without signature is from late Gothic period about 1450-1500. Below the choir is a closed burial vault for the owners of Hjermitslevgaard. In the choir a figure stone for jomfru Anne Mortensdatter Vognsen and for manager at Hjermitslevgaard, Christen Christensen Solholdt. Epitafs for manager Peder Thomsen Kiærulf and wife and for parish priest Niels Ifversen and Jens Jessen.