Friday, June 21, 2013

Bredstrup church/ Bredstrup kirke, Elbo herred, Vejle amt.

Bredstrup kirke, 5 km northwest of Fredericia, photo: Google Earth.

Bredstrup church has a late Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south from the second half of the 1800s;  it is now furnished as a burial chapel. The late Romanesque building is mostly built in raw and cleaved granite, but with a sligthly hollow, bevelled plinth and corner ashlars. Upon the north east corner of the choir-plinth is a small male head. From original details are kept the bricked-up south door with two granite columns. The north door is only vaguely visible like a round arch window in the north wall of the nave. The choir and nave have inside flat beamed ceilings, and the choir arch is re-newed after the whole triumph wall was removed for years. The late Gothic tower has a cross-vaulted bottom room with flat-curved wall niches, and the pointed tower arch is bricked-out with a door, since they in present time, probably ab. 1920, placed the main entrance here. The tower has smooth gables east-west, and the peepholes to the north and south are flat-curved, to the east and west point-curved.  The outer walls of the tower are very bricked - the iron numbers 1870 and 1871 probably refer to these works. From this period is also the little porch to the south, now a burial chapel (in 1964).

Interior The altar piece is from ab. 1700 in a simple bruskbarok (DK 1630-1660) with winding columns and a painting from 1920 by N. Larsen Stevns. An older altar painting from the 1800s is placed in the burial chapel. The woodwork of the altar piece was repaired in 1923. Altar candelabres with a thin baluster handle upon a heavy foot and with a flat, mussel fluted light bowl, like the ones in Vejlby church (Vejle amt). They were given in 1694 by Lars Knudsen and Anne Pedersdatter in Kongsted Torp. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin upon a square foot. A South German dish ab. 1575. Another font with arcades upon the basin and a square foot stands in the tower room. It probably origins from Kongsted church, which was demolished in 1661. The pulpit in Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s has biblical reliefs and upon the corners are evangelists and virtuous figures. A closed parish priest stool from ab. 1700 in the south side of the choir has a sawn acanthus work like the stool in Vejlby church. At the pulpit hangs a plaster copy of the Herlufsholm-crucifix. A gallery upon wooden columns from ab. 1730-40. Iron bound money block from the 1700s. Upon the loft lies a defect model of a threemaster. Bell from 1919, Smithske Støberier, Aalborg. Organ 1894.

Upon the church yard is an artificial grave hill with a classisistic memorial for justitsråd, mayor Hans Buhl (+ 1814).

A church in Kongsted, which according to accounts was small and without a tower and repaired in 1653, was destroyed by the Swedish soldiers in 1657 during the siege of Frederiksodde. It was later demolished acc. to the wish of the residents in 1661.  Bredstrup church was also damaged but was repaired.

Østedgård . Henning Volstrup wrote himself of Ø. in 1550, but he had probably already sold the farm to Niels Skeel of Nygård (+ 1561), who in 1548 let the farm be judged to himself on the Judicial Thing. His widow Karen Krabbe (+ 1586) exchanged in 1578 Ø. to the Crown, who in 1620 laid it out to a Captain's Farm for Johan Mor and then for Frederik Gans, whose widow married herredsfoged Thomes Terkildsen, who in 1626 got the farm as a tenant, in 1648 she transferred the farm to her son Axel Gans, who owned it still in 1653.

In 1688 jægermester in Jutland Gerhard Brockdorff (+ 1711) got a life's letter on Ø. and built the main building. In the 1700s the owner was Jobst Gerhard von Scholten, after his death in 1786 Ø. was by the Crown put on auction and sold to manager at Hvidkilde Rasmus Ejlersen. Later owners: Hartvig Fr. Wedel Jarlsberg, Ole Kongstad, Jens Lange of Rødkilde, købmand Rasmus Hansen, Heinrich August Lorentzen, Jørgen Rudolf Bech, P. Vang Lauridsen, Otto Friis Beck, Emil Pontoppidan Christiani, Dethlef Jürgensen, in 1954-1985: Henning Sally; 1985-1995: Atfed A/S / Sørn Nymark; 1995-) Nyma A/S / Sørn Nymark

The whitewashed main building is listed in class B.

Kongsted The southern section of the parish with the villages Kongsted and Torp was earlier a parish called Kongsted parish, which was an annex of Bredstrup, but in 1661 was requested that Kongsted church could be broken down and the congregation seek to Bredstrup church, since the Swedish soldiers had damaged and actually demolished the church in Kongsted; they had used the stones for their huts in the camps at Bredstrup village. Upon the site of Kongsted church are still seen few rests of wallwork. A memorial was set up in 1953. The baptismal font from Kongsted is in the garden of Bredstrup vicarage. Kongsted was laid under Bredstrup parish not until 1884. In the parish were also parts of the villages Rerslev and Husby.

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish but there were 35 hills, which mainly were placed south of Kongsted and in the northernest part of the parish, one hill contained a hellekiste (stone cist).

At Kongsted mølle (mill) was examined a settlement from early Roman Iron Age.
Names from the Middle Ages: Bredstrup (ab. 1330 Brestorp); Stallerup (1452 Stallerup); Kongsted (ab. 1330 Kungesteth); Torp (1541 Torp, 1591 Kongstedrop); Østedgård (1575 Ødstedt).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964.    

photo: from Google Earth. 

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Stouby church/ Stouby kirke and Rosenvold, Bjerre herred, Vejle amt.

Stouby church, ab. 15 km east of Vejle, photo: gb

Stouby kirke
The large whitewashed church in Stouby is in its present look a Gothic longhouse building with a tower to the west and a porch to the south. From the original Romanesque travertine church is left only the northside of the nave with a late Romanesque extension to the west. A single round arch window is seen as an outside niche, the extension, which wallwork is thicker than the original wall, has in the top a frieze of narrow *lisens. In the Gothic period, probably ab. 1400-1450, the building was reshaped into a longhouse with a triangular choir finish, which in the east wall has a *firpasblænding. The high, light room has inside four cross vaults with profiled ribs and very narrow *gjordbuer and a half star vault in the choir section. The tower to the west in monk bricks is a little newer than this rebuild, and it lost its vaults at a later date - there is now a beamed ceiling in the tower room, which opens toward the nave in a new tower arch. Its upper sections are cut down till a little above the height of the nave, probably in 1817 (iron numbers  and initials for F.Rantzau). The tower stairway  is in the southwest corner of the nave. The building was restored 1877 and the porch origins from this time.

* lisens = protruding pilastres/bands
* firpasblænding = a glare similar to a fourclover
* gjordbue = a reinforcement curve of a vault

Interior: In the choir are 4 pretty mosaic windows from 1952 by Kresten Iversen. The altarpiece is a skilled carving from 1731 , it was given by Dean Jørgen Knudsen Beesche and made by Jens Jensen or Jørgen Slache. An altarpainting, copy  after Carl Bloch, hangs in the porch (1964). Chalice 1786, given by Carl Adolph Rantzau and Christiane Ernestine Frederiche Vedel. A Romanesque granite font with four horisontal angels, one is Sct Michael, fighting a monster. A pulpit in late Renaissance 1640 with old decorations. A bell from 1708, Friderich Holtzmann.

Rosenvold slot, photo: gb
Rosenvold is mentioned the first time in 1575 when Karen Gyldenstierne, widow after Holger Ottesen Rosenkrantz of Boller and their heirs at R. had permission to seek to Stouby church, while the ealier owners of R. had seeked to Barrit church.  Their son Frederik Rosenkrantz is written of the farm in 1599, but he was exiled the same year because of his relation to Rigborg Brockenhuus and died in 1602. His brother Otte Christoffer Rosenkrantz took over R., but at his death in 1621 R. and Boller had, because of debt, to be sold to Ellen Marsvin, who inn 1630 had to give the farms to her daughter Kirstine Munk. She died in 1658 and her daughter Elisabeth Augusta sold R. in 1660 to stiftamtmand, gehejmeråd Henrik Rantzau (+ childless in 1674). The farm was inherited by his brother's son  kammerherre Henrik Rantzau (+ 1687), his brother grev Otto Rantzau (+ 1719) the son generalmajor grev  Frederik Rantzau (+ unmarried 1726), his brother viceroy in Norway, grev Christian Rantzau (+ 1771), who in 1756 established "Det grevelige Rantzauske Forlods af R".   

Later owners: The family Rantzau up till present.

Rosenvold, the main building is listed in class A.

Some extra details in history: 
The castle ruin is still seen in the forest northeast of Rosenvold. Staksevold was probably withdrawn and broken down by queen Margrethe I in her work of gathering Denmark and the Nordic countries in the second half of the 1300s.

In front of the coast banks on the low meadows towards Vejle fjord and a few hundred meters from the sea Karen Gyldenstierne built her dower house Rosenvold in 1585. Before this her husband Holger Rosenkrantz had established Rosenvold as a main farm ab. 1570. He had bought the areas of the earlier Staksevold, a "røverborg" (robbers' castle), which was a stone tower with a bank and moat and outside with wooden buildings and a stable.
At the death of Karen Gyldenstierne her two sons took over Rosenvold, first Frederik Rosenkrantz, who run into bad luck because of his relation to the queen's Lady in Waiting Rigborg Brockenhuus from Egeskov. As a punishment she was immured at Egeskpov, while Frederik contracted the wrath of the king and was exiled. His brother Christoffer took over the estate, but he got some economic problems and had in 1621 to sell Rosenvold to Ellen Marsvin of Holckenhavn , wjo was the big collector of estate at that time and the mother-in-law of Christian IV. In 1630 Ellen Marsvin was at the kings command ordered to give Rosenvold to her daughter Kirsten Munk, since she was banished from the court after having refused the king access to her chamber. Kirsten Munk's heirs had to sell Rosenvold in 1660 to Henrik Rantzau of Schönweide in Holstein and stiftamtmand in Århus. The Rantzau family is still the owners of Rosenvold and has been for almost 350 years. (source.:  

Rosenvold Marina, photo:gb

Gravengård etc was by hr. Oluf Stigsen (Krognos) pawned in 1497 to bishop Niels Clausen in Århus, later it belonged to the son hr. Mourids Olufsen (Krognos)(+ 1550), with whose daugther it came to Holger Rosenkrantz of Boller in 1662. G was from Boller laid out to Gabriel Marselis at Havreballegård.

The medieval castle bank Gravengård was situated close north of Lille Gravengård about 500 m northwest of Stouby kirke.  A farm was earlier  situated at the castle bank. After a fire in 1926 the farm was outparcelled and the site was levelled. The castle bank lay in a pond which water surrounded it on three sides, upon the fourth side was probably a moat. In the 19th century were probably destroyed some banks. Upon the castle bank were buildings in monk bricks.

Rohden was in 1662 two farms belonging under Rosenvold. In 1758 grev Christian Friis (of Vadskærgård) of Frijsenborg deeded both farms to manager Hans Erik Saabye, later of Brantbjerg, and in 1771-72 justitsråd Jørgen Hvass de Lindenplam of Tirsbæk deeded the two farms to Christen Mikkelsen Kjær, who in 1789 only owned one farm, Neder Rohden. This farm his son Jens Kaj Kjær willed shortly before his death in 1826 to his daughter Christiane Kjær, in 1827 m. to Jørgen Hansen, later of Borchsminde.
Later owners: Jacob Lund Eggertsen, Jens Simonsen Buch, Nicolai Jensen Jelling, Johannes Brorson, Flemming Lerche, Folmer Lüttichau.

Niels Jensen of Ullerup is mentioned 1340-46.  

Jysk Nervesanatorium at Vejle fjord, built 1898-99. = Vejlefjord Sanatorium.

According to Pont Atlas Gammelby was originally called Stouby, but since a part of the town burnt down and was rebuilt about 1 km from there, the new town was called Stouby, while the rest was called Gammelby. Since the vicarage lies here, the parish was for a period called Gammelby parish.

forest at Fakkegrav, photo: gb
At the beach were some farms Falsterbo (1664 Falsterboe). Northeast of Hugholm were some houses called Himmerig. From dissapeared farms are Smedegård (1497 Smedegard) in Hyrup and Bjerregård (1683 Bierregaard, Berrgord). Furthermore the houses Knoseborg or Hulvejen (1664 Huolweyen or Knoseborrig), Sanderbækhus (1683 Sanderbech Hues) and Strandhuset (1688 Strandhuuset), de two last mentioned were fisherman's houses. Fakkegrav was earlier named Favrdal (1683 Fougerdal) and later Pakhuset

Listed prehistorics: At Rosenvold is Tehøj in which top are two cover stones, probably for a passage grave, and a somewhat disturbed dolmen chamber. Furthermore a large hill south of the church and two hills in Ullerup skov.
Demolished or destroyed: not less than 19 stone graves, of which two were long dolmens, one with 4 chambers; a dolmen chamber and two passage graves. In Pont. Atalse is mentioned at the vicarage a stone -surrounded hill with several chambers,which the parish priest let abolish.

From Rohden is known a small heap of shells from early Roman period.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Stouby (1399 Stoby, 1498 Stowby); Gammelby (1498 Gamelbi); Hyrup (1477 Hyrop, Hyrøp); Hostrup (1300s Horstorpmark, 1497 Hostrup); Belle (1459 Bælle); Fakkegrav (1664 Fastjgrau); Stoubyskov (1664 Stoubye Schouff); Hjerrild (1610 Herildtt); Hugholm (1683 Hugholm); Grund (1477 Grwnnæ); Rosenvold (1575 Rosenvold); Rohden (1474 Rode, 1475 Rodhe); Grundgård (1495 Grundegaardtt, Grunegaardt); Rønsholtskrog (1683 Rønsholt Sovhues); Gravengård (1462 Grawengart); Bobæk (1664 Boebech); Over Ullerup (1340 Vgelthorp, 1474 Wllerøp), Stoubylund (1511 Stobylundt); Årup Mølle (1458 Arrvp Mølle, Arwp Mølle) .     

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964.

photo 2011: grethe bachmann

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Barrit church/ Barrit kirke and Barritskov, Bjerre herred, Vejle amt.

Barrit church, ab. 12 km east of Vejle.

Barrrit kirke
The church in Barrit origins probably from 1152-1160. It was originally white. The church went through several re-buildings but the present look is from a main restoration in 1879, where the old church was re-walled with red bricks from a demolished tilework in Breth. The placement of the church building is interesting. The area is easy to defend; the brook and the steep banks protect the church towards the north and partly to the east and the west. The church dike was easy to equip with palisades and the church was with its thick walls ( in some places up til 2 m) a safe residence for women and children.
Barrit church has a choir with a triangular finish, a nave and a tower to the west and a chapel to the north. The church, which was built in travertine, is marked by a re-bricked with red bricks in the end of the 1800s - so it looks quite like the neo-Romanesque creations of that period. The walls are divided in supporting pillars and have round arched friezes in the top. The inside of the church has no details, but is whitewashed. The choir section ,which in its present look is caused by a choir extension in the 1300s, has a triangular rib vault and a short point arched barrel vault, while the nave has four bays of cross vaults upon strongly protruding wall pillars ( the common East Jutland type from the second half of the 1400s). The tower is late Gothic in its kernel but it seems also re-bricked with its square spire between four glare-decorated pointed gables. The medieval wallwork is only visible in the chapel, but this was also changed during time, like in 1725. The church was restored in 1787 and 1879. A porch on the southside was removed in the big re-build and the entrance was placed in the tower room. Upon the choir arch and in other places are some fresco-decorations  from the restoration-period.

Barrit church, photo Google Earth.
A neo-Romanesque communion table. An altarpiece, an oak frame with a painting by J.Thrane 1731, repaired in 1918. A chalice with a Renaissance knot and foot and cup from 1746. Upon the cup the coat of arms and initials for Tønne Reedtz and L.F.Levetzau. Similar oblate box with stamp for Knud Rasmussen Brandt. Horsens. Heavy late Gothic candelabres upon lion feet. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth cylindric basin upon  truncated foot. South German dish ab. 1575. A neo-Romanesque pulpit and crucifix. Bell from 1874.

In the chapel eight coffins with the bodies of the family Reedtz: Tønne Reedtz (+ 1699) and wife; Valdemar Reedtz (+ 1724) and wife; Tønne Reedtz (+ 1743) and wife; and G. Balthasar Samitz (+ 1732) and wife, née Reedtz. Furthermore two burial banners.

Barritskov, photo 2011  gb
Barritskov belonged in 1261 to hr Niels, who founded the Fransiscan kloster in Horsens, in 1314 and 1323 to hr Mogens Jensen, and then to his son Mogens Mogensen, and in 1356-1483 four generations of the fanmily Manderup, all named Niels Manderup and all knights. The last left B. to his daughter Anne Manderup. m. to Christen Holck, who still lived in 1502. Their son Manderup Holck is mentioned as the owner until 1537 ( in an exchange in 1513 he got his sister Sophie's part of B.) and the farm came then to the son Hans Holck (+ 1565) and to his son Manderup Holck, with whom this line of the family died out in 1588, whereafter the sister Kirsten Holck by marriage brought B. to rigsråd Steen Brahe of Knudstrup (+ 1620 ). Their daughter Birgitte Brahe brought it to rigsråd Frederik Reedtz of Tygestrup (+ 1659); whose son Tønne Reedtz (+ 1669) inherited it. His widow Elisabeth Sehested (+ 1705) deeded in 1700 B. to her son Valdemar Reedtz (+ 1724), who was followed by his son Tønne Reedtz (+ 1743), whose widow Lucie Emerentze Levetzau kept the farm until her death in 1774. It then came to her son-in-law statsminister Frederik Christian Rosenkrantz of Rosenholm (+ 1802)

Later owners:  Niels Rosenkrantz(stamhuset Rosenkrantz), Henrik Jørgen Scheel; Frederik (Fritz)Chr. Rosenkrantz Scheel, Henrik Jørgen Scheel,  Knud Henrik Otto Brockenhuus-Schack; J.K.B. Brockenhuus- Schack. 1913-1949, Knud Henrik Otto Brockenhuus-Schack; 1949-1967: Jens Knud Bille Brockenhuus-Schack; 1969-1984 Mogens Harttung; 1984-1985: Mary North married Harttung; From 1985 : Thomas Alexander North Hartung.

Barritskov photo 2011: gb
The old main building, which was broken down in 1914, made a picturesque three-winged plan which individual houses were built at various times in the 1500s. The castle yard lay upon the bank of a small, now dried out lake, upon a narrow square medieval castle bank. (...) Steen Brahe and fru Kirsten built a large living house in two storeys in 1597-98 to replace the old timbered wing to the east. (...) A lower short western wing was built in the 1500s or 1600s as a replacement for the older timbered wing, but it disappeared shortly after 1793. (...) When Fr. Chr. Rosenkrants inherited Barritskov 1774, this ceased being the residence of its owner,  and in the following century the building came into decay. (...) Althoug it showed that there was nothing wrong with the buildings, Barritskov was broken down in January 1914. This was   one of the most painful losses, which the Danish architecture suffered in the 1900s.(...) Knud Brockenhuus-Schack built a new main building, a simple formed two storesy red brick villa, the building is by a short middle building in connection to the lower sidewing to the north,  where the timber from the old timbered building has been used in a decorative way. The inscription tablet of Steen Brahe is inserted in the west gable. Some old panelwork and doors from the old catle yard are used in the dining room and parts of the painted ceiling from 1598 in a front hall.

The big garden was planned by landscape gardener E. Glæsel, the now very overgrown ruins of the old main building are kept from decorative reasons. Tønne Reedtz had west of the old main building established a large French garden, which remains are still seen.

Strandmøllen in Barritskov was in 1356 by Peter Ulfsen Mule sold to Niels Manderup junior.

Staksrode skov photo 2011: gb
In Staksrode Vesterskov, about 300 m from the beach, lies the medieval castle bank Staksevold. It is an almost rectangular middle bank ( 26x34 m) at the foot, surrounded by a now waterfilled moat, which broadth varies from 10 til 19 m. Around the moat is a bank, which to the west reaches a height of ab. 2 m and a broadth at the top of 8 m, while to the east it is only 1 m high and 2,5 m broad. To the northeast the bank is interrupted for letting water in. In the outer foot of the western bank lies a plateau (ab. 50 x 10 m), protected by a dry moat in front.

The National Museum has examined and excavated the castle bank. The ground walls of the original stone house were restored etc..Some planks from a wooden bridge were found and foundation stones from a timnbered building,  coins from the end of the 13th century and from the 14th century, some weapons etc.    

In the parish (Barrit) was a village, named Have (1462 Hawe), which is menrioned several times ab. 1500. Also Stavsøre (1408 Staffør, 1457 Stafsøræ) seems to be the name of a village; the main farm here was deeded by Johan Kalf in 1408 to the Roskilde bishop, who in 1457 exchanged it to hr Johan Bjørnsen (Bjørn). The name is probably found again in Stagsevold (originally Stavsørevold), a name of a castle bank in Staksrode Vesterskov, which supposedly indicates the old situation of Rosenvold(manor) in Stouby parish.

From disappeared farms is mentioned Gammelgård (1443 Gammellgaard) in Barritslund, Tovskov (1502 Tofskoff) and Breth Torp (1408 Brendtorp ,1473 Bredsthorp),  which in 1664 was divided in two farms.

In the edge of the beach south of Barritskov was once a castle bank, which was traceable until a few years ago (since 1964). The sea has wiped away the last rests. The plan is described as a circular castle bank (12 m diameter) and a front castle, both surrounded by moats. A corner of a monk brick building was visible.

Listed prehistorics: 7 stone graves, of which 5 are at Barritskov, and three of these lie in a group upon the field east of the farm, one contains a polygonal dolmen chamber without cover stone, another contains a disturbed passage grave, in Barrit Tykke lies a long dolmen with a disturbed chamber. In Staksrode Skov lie two dolmens with removed chambers. Finally a small hill in Barrit Tykke.

Demolished or destroyed: 18 stone graves and 13 hills, one of the stone graves was known to be a passage grave. All memorials are or were in the southern half of the parish.

An urn grave site from early Roman period is known north of Barrithule, an Iron Age settlement from Korsbækhoved. 

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Over Barrit (1333 Barwith, 1462 Baræth); Barrithule (1356 Barwythole); Barritskov by (1664 Baarit schouffs bye); Breth (1408 Brent, 1458 Breedh, Bredh); Staksrode (1238 Barrit Rud, 1408 Ruthe, 1475 Baruid (t));  Breth Surmose (1426 Smemosze, 1509 Suermoessze); Lavrsgård (1683 Lausgaardt); Gramtange (1546 Gramtange); Barritlund (1443 Baruedlund); Barritskov (1261 Barritzskov, 1323 Barwiithscogh); Rand (1664 Rande); Enemærkegård (1664 Eenemerchet); Korsbækhoved (1683 Korsbech Hofuit)

Source Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964.

photo Barrit church: Google Earth 
photo Barritskov and Staksrode skov 2011: grethe bachmann 

Monday, June 03, 2013

Øster Snede church/ Øster Snede kirke, Nørvang herred, Vejle amt.

Øster Snede church, ab. 10 km northeast of Vejle.(Google Earth) 

Øster Snede kirke
The large church in Øster Snede has a Romanesque choir and nave with late Gothic additions, a cross arm to the south, a tower to the west and a porch to the south. The Romanesaue building is in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. Some conditions indicate that the choir from the beginning had an apse, but it is not quite certain. Both original doors are kept, the round arched south door is in use, the north door with a round arch decoration is bricked-up. Some of the Romanesque windows (round arched( are traceabke like on the north side of the choir. The Romanesque walls are outside mostly re-bricked. Their upper sections and the western gable of the choir are re-bricked with small bricks and now whitewashed. The round choir arch stands inside with profiled kragsten. The choir arch is flanked by round arched side altar niches. In the Gothic period, probably ab. 1375-1400, the choir got a cross vault with profiled ribs, and about a century later four cross vaults were built in the nave (in East Jutland type) upon protruding wall pillars. At this occassion the west gable was re-bricked with monk bricks and had a decoration of five point arched high glares, which are partly kept behind the tower.

The following rebuild seems to be the building of the cross arm at the south side of the nave. It is built in monk bricks and re-used ashlars, which probably origin from a demolished church, since there in the ashlar material is a window monolite, which does not respond to the Romanesque windows of the church. The room, which opens towards the nave in a pointed arcade, has a star vault, and in the west wall is a point arched frieze in the height of a man. The upper section is like choir and nave rebuilt with small bricks.  The tower, which cross vaulted bottom room opens towards the nave in a round arch in the full broadth of the tower room, was built in the Reformation period. To the north side of this is a free staircase up to a round arched upper door. The smooth gables with visible foot timber turn west- east. The south side is at the top rebuilt with small bricks. The porch, which is also from the Reformation period, has above the flat round arched door a savskifte (bevelled bricks) and two circular glares, and it is flanked by small peepholes. The building was restored in 1935.

Øster Snede church

Interior: A strange late Gothic frescoe of a warrior with a huge mane, maybe Samson or Holger Danske - was brought to light in 1926 and restored in 1935. Upon the choir arch an inauguration cross. The communion table is covered in a panelwork from ab. 1590 with portalfields. The altarpiece is a late Gothic triptychon with the original apostle figures in fhe wings. It was re-shaped in the Renaissance, probably 1606, but was restored in 1935 and got a new crucifixion group in the mid field, made by S. Forchhammer. The painted foot piece from the Renaissance-change with a painting hangs in the church and upon the backside of the piece is places an unusually bad altar painting from 1846 by painter Lindegaard, Horsens. The altar chalice ab. 1650, given by Jørgen Juul and Ellen Arenfeldt. A bread box, given by Frederikke Hedwig Dorothea v. Buchwaldt. Late Gothic candelabres upon sitting lions. A good late Gothic choir arch crucifix from the middle of the 1400s. A Romanesque granite font with double lions. A dish from 1648 with the same coat of arms as upon the pulpit, which is a simple Renaissance work with Tuscany corner columns, dated 1641, and with the paternal and maternal coat of arms of Jørgen Juul and Ellen Arenfeldt. A contemporary sounding board. A klingpung (collection purse on a stick) from the end of the 1700s. In the cross arm an ore chandelier given by parish priest Matthias Selmer (+ 1738). A bell from the beginning of 1800s, cast by Daniel Reimer, Randers with reliefs of Oldenburg kings.

In a bricked chamber in front of the choir arch was (in an excavation for a heating system) found a lead plate from the coffin of Pernille Mouridsdatter. In the porch a worn out gravestone from the 1700s.
In the church dike to the south is a large portal in ashlars and monk bricks with a round arched driving gateway and a flat curved gate, probably late Gothic.

 - was originally a village, where rigshofmester hr. Mogens Gøye got 1 farm with his first wife Mette Albrechtsdatter Bydelsbak (+ 1513), who had got it after her mother Pernille Axelsdatter Brock. 4 farms at the same place was deeded by Stefan v. Bülow's widow Margrethe in 1528 to Mogens Gøye, whose daughter's daughter Margrethe Justdatter Høeg (Banner), widow after Chr. Quitzow, in 1595 is written of A., which in 1630 belonged to her brother's son Just Høeg (Banner) of Bjørnholm. From him it came in 1638 to Jørgen Juul of Låge, who in 1666 was divorced from his wife Ellen Hansdatter Arenfeldt (+ 1676). In an agreement she got A., but after her death the farm had to be shared by the heirs of both parts.Her heirs deeded in 1676 their part to Laurids Brorson of Dybvad, who later outbought Jørgen Juul's heirs. In 1681 A. was deeded to oberstløjtnant Kai de la Marc (+ 1713), whose son oberstløjtnant Hieronymus de la Marc (+ 1727) became the owner. In an auction after him in 1728 it was bought by Jørgen Jørgensen's widow Pernille (+ 1750), whose son Mourids Jørgensen owned it until his death 1753.

Later owners: Poul Marcussen of Ørumgård, the family Marcussen until ab. 1801, Erik Chr. Grave Hoppe of Lillerup; John Schmidt of Gyllingnæs; Johannes Peter Ingwersen of Viufgård; family Ingwersen; H.Hastrup; M.F.C.Zahn, Kolding; Juan A. Rothaus; Konsortium; Raun and Albertsen; C.I.Petersen; Jysk Landhypothekforening; Andreas Jensen; A. Svendsen and J. Marcussen; some out parcelling;  main parcel to direktør Malte Vestergaard. 1931- 1970: William Jensen. From 1970 : Knud Bøgh Bisgaard.

The earlier main building had acc. to Pont Atlas a marvellous tower and a high spire, and there was a church by the manor , but the building was wall and timber, and it was probably demolished in 1739 or 1746 by fru Pernille Jørgensen, who built a new three-winged timbered main buiilding, which stood until 1845. The same year Martin Ingwersen built the present main building, a bricked whitewashed building with a long low one storey main wing, at each end is a short house across in two storeys with stepped gables. In 1883 was built in the middle a square sided tower and a high pointed slated roof.

Agersbøl, photo wikipedia.

Claus Jensen (Dyre) lived in 1459 in Sole; Svend Torbernsen (Udsen) wrote himself in 1468 of Soleskovgård. 

Laurids Mund is in 1652 written of Krollerupgård.

Madevig (1638 Mayvig) was in 1660 the name of some demolished houses, which land was laid under Agersbøl.

In a cleaning up of the pavement in the yard of Øster Snede vicarage were in 1905 found various silver ware and a stoneware jar with 35 little coins, the earliest from 1645.

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 12 hills, among those the large Brohøj at Agersbøl, which had a mill, and a large hill at Øster Snede, where according to the legend king Sniø is buried. Two hills at Agersbøl contained graves from early Roman Iron Age; one contained a buckle with a silver mask.

From Rosenkær at Båstrup origin a belt plate, 2 necklaces and a gold pin,  and from Soleskov two massive bronze rings - everything from late Bronze Age.

Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:  Øster Snede (ab. 1330 Sneeth, 1688 Øster Snee); Kragelund (1409 Kragelund); Gammelsole (1459 Solæ, 1495 Sole); Krollerup (1499 Krollerop; 1500 Krollerup); Bøgballe (1460 Bøgbaly); Båstrup (1409, 1469 Bostrop); Soleskov (1468 Soliskowgardh); Agersbøl (1528 Agitzbølle); Gøgemølle (1683 Giøgemølle).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt 1964   

photo: Google Earth and Wikipedia.


Sunday, June 02, 2013

Vester Nebel church/ Vester Nebel kirke, Brusk herred , Vejle amt.

Vester Nebel, ab. 8 km northwest of Kolding

Vester Nebel kirke
The whitewashed tiled church in Vester Nebel has a choir with a flat altar wall, a nave, a tower to the west and a porch at the north side. The Romanesque cernel: the choir and the nave, are mostly built in raw granite boulder upon a carved  bevelled plinth. The rests of a Romanesque window, found in the church yard, has now been inserted in the porch. The south door is bricked-up,but all traces seem now to have disappeared, while the north door is still in function, but remade. In the late Middle Ages the church got a tower in monk bricks with a vaulted bottom room, which opens to the nave in a point arched arcade. In the middle of the north side of the tower is a round arched door opening, earlier accessible by a ladder, and further entrance to the bell storey. In a restoration in 1945 the tower was face-walled in two sides. At the same time a porch was built in front of the north door. From here is access to the church loft and the bell in the tower. In the same restoration the old beamed ceilings of the choir and the nave were brought to light, like the preserved Romanesque granite choir arch  had its old plaster layer removed.

The altarpiece upon a wooden communion table is a painting by P.Møller, 1889. The old altarpiece, which in 1900-1938 was kept at Koldinghus Museum, hangs now upon the south wall (in 1964). It is a Lutheranian  triptychon from ab. 1570 with framework in leaf-decoration in Italian Renaissance. In the middle field and the wings are newer paintings, probably from ab. 1840, while the outside of the wings have original paintings. A Romanesque granite font with a high, smooth basin, a rope decoration around the edge and a low foot. The pulpit has a new-bricked entrance and foot piece in a late Gothic form, high, narrow and prism shaped with carvings and gilt Gothic work in the fields and narrow corner balustres in Italian Renaissance from ab. 1560-70. Newer pews from the end of the 1800s. In the tower room a new organ, A Zachariassen, 1946. Three chandeliers in the nave from 1862. The tower bell is from 1946, Jydsk Jernstøberi, Brønderslev.

earlier Vester Nebel's Mill, was bought in 1794 by H.A.Wulff (+ 1850).
In 1964 owner M. Frederiksen.
The main building lies in Vester Nebel river valley. It was  was built in 1804 by H.A. Wulff

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish but there were 6 hills.

From Dons Søndersø (a lake) are known settlements from the Gudenåkultur.
Southwest of Vester Nebel were found 6 guldbrakteater (Roman coins)  and some glass pearls.

Names from the Middle Ages: Vester Nebel (1231 Nybøl).

Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964.   

photo. Google Earth 2013.