Thursday, December 18, 2008
Rolsø Church in Vrinders, ab. 20 km west of Ebeltoft
Rolsø church in Vrinders is a new church, built in 1907, and in connection to this the old church in Rolsø was demolished. Luckily it is a rare event to demolish the old historic churches in Denmark. The new church is built in Romanesque style and the demolished material from Rolsø church was used in the wall work. The inventory comes partly from the old church. Late Gothic altar candles with traces after three lions. A Romanesque granite font with double tovstav (rope decoration), foliage and human heads on the foot - in 1906 rests of an original red and black ornament was found. South German baptismal basin from 1575 and a pulpit from 1664.
Although the old Rolsø church was demolished the medieval porch in monk bricks was kept. In the north by the nave a wall with two round arched windows was built. The white-chalked building is now a chapel of rest and is placed upon the idyllic church yard which is still in use. In the building is the former altar piece and a pieced-together epitaph. Upon the wall is a small limestone with the paternal and maternal coat of arms of Hans Skade of Rolsøgård and Ingeborg Sparre. The church yard is surrounded by granite boulder dikes and equipped with a køreport (driving gate) and a gate between three Renaissance pillars. Close by is a wooden bell frame.
The demolished church in Rolsø had a Romanesque choir and nave in granite boulders, a Gothic extension with styltetårn (stilted tower) and porch. The communion table was raw walled. The altar piece was a Gothic velvet triptychon. The church had two bells, one small and without inscription from the Middle Ages and the other - which is now farm bell at Rolsøgård - was casted by "Knud Riise ved Tønsberg."
Vrinders, landscape and farm.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Rolsø (1328 Rolfsyøø); Vrinders (*1486 Wrindes, 1501 Wrynnesby); Andrup (1552 Anndrup); Skovgårde (1458 Schoffgard); Rolsøgård(*1486 Rolsøgaard).
Rolsøgård, farm/manor, belonged 1328 to hr. Jens Hviding, 1448 to Morten Nielsen (Vognsen of Stenshede), 1511 to Gunde Nielsen, 1561 to his son Jørgen Gundesen of Sostrup; with his sister Inger the manor came to Mikkel Nielsen (Hvas of Gerholm), whose daughter Margrethe brought it to Erik Krag (+1606); his son Jørgen Krag (+1643) sold it to Hans Skade, who still owned it 1638; his son-in-law Vogn Hvas (of Skørholt) was the owner in 1655-62, hereafter his widow Kirsten Skade 1669 and her brother-in-law Jesper Vognsen (of Stenshede) (+1687). His son Jens Vognsen exchanged it 1689 to his brother-in-law ritmester (captain of horse) Otto Andreas von Lindenquist (+1692), who 1691 sold it to Bodil Pedersdatter (the same Bodil, who built Rødegård in Vistoft parish), the widow after Poul Nielsen of Strandkær, but the deed was 1693 by his heirs conveyed to Hans Jacobsen of Lyngsbækgård, whom she had married. Later the estate belonged to the family Gersdorff and several various owners up till present.
Listed prehistorics: two round dolmens with overturned cover stone at Rolsøgård, and in the southeastern corner of the parish a pentagonal dolmen chamber where the cover stone has skålgruber (hollows).
Demolished or destroyed: 5 dolmens, a passage grave and 8 hills.
At Andrup was a burial site from early Roman Iron Age.
Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.
foto Rolsø Church 2003 & Vrinders 2006: grethe bachmann
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Veggerby Church, North Jutland
Bejstrup Church, North Jutland
Skallerup church, North Jutland
Svenstrup Church, Northeast Jutland
Grinderslev Church, North Jutland
Grinderslev Church belonged originally to Grinderslev Augustine cloister built in the middle of the 12th century. A chess pattern like this is seen on the walls of several Danish churches. They were interpreted in many ways, like either the stone master's spare-time occupation - repair of stone damage or spreadsheet -mysterious symbolic numerals or messages and finally interpreted as the symbol of white/black, good/evil and life/death. Popular name is "Devil's Board Game", which means that a human is playing with death about the time of his leaving this world. The legend also says that the Devil often disturbed the church building by tearing down at night what had been built at day. The building master then would make a game board for the Devil, who in his gambling mania would be so occupied that the building could remain undisturbed.
In a work from the National Museum about Danish churches a Danish historian M. Mackeprang , once the director of the National Museum, wrote about the chess boards. At that time he counted 22 churches with chess boards, mainly from North Jutland. Later in 1983 the number was increased to 35. The spreading of the chess boards shows a marked attachment to North Jutland, and outside this area are only known one at Bornholm (Povlskirken ) and a few in Norway and Sweden. But some people thought it was still not investigated properly, so a Jute newspaper, Jyllands-Posten, started a research - the result was some ten new examples, which did not disturb the original picture though. Up to date 45 churches in Jutland are registered with chess boards, six churches have two examples and four have three examples, the full amount is 59.
Text below is from an article by Jens Vellev in archaeological magazine Skalk 1/1988.
"The placing of the chess boards upon the church walls seem random chosen, but rebuildings and replacements might have changed things essentially. The chess pattern varies in form and size, the biggest is 53x132 cm. The 8x8 squares, like a common chess board, seem to exist in only one example. The chess boards are found both in squares and rectangles. The inner small squares are sometimes surrounded by other geometric figures, triangles, circles and alike - and these also fill in areas at times.
South of Aarhus and in a straight line to Thyborøn by the North Sea there isn't one example of a chess board upon a church, neither in south Jutland or at the islands, except for the one example at Bornholm. The chess board in Povlskirken on Bornholm is 8x8 squares, but just below is another carving, a complete perfect example of, what we today know as Backgammon. This really looks as if the stone mason meant it to be a board game. The carved ashlar is of the same black silurchalkstone from which the church was built, so nothing suggests that this board game wasn't there from the beginning.
Chess boards of the North Jutland type are seen in a few Swedish and Norwegian churches, i.e. Rydaholm in Sweden, and three in Norway, all situated in Østfold. In one of the Norwegian churches is furthermore found an ashlar with the runic inscription "Odinkar", a name which in Norway is known only from this one find, while it was common in Denmark in the Viking period and the Middle Ages.
The chess boards are early medieval, but it is not possible to give some exact limitation about the dating - since the dating of just one example often causes trouble. How did they arise, and what do they mean? They cannot be one man's work, although it sometimes happens that local ideas set a fashion.
In a frescoe in Täby church north of Stockholm a worrying gentleman is playing a board game with a smiling spectre - a remind to the viewer not to forget life's corruption; "The Devil's Board Game" might have had a similar mission, but this explanation suits best for the example at Bornholm, which is of quite another character, it seems to be of another root than the North Jutlandic. They remind about each other, but the differences exclude that it is a particular game.
Other possibilites must be taken in consideration. In the Apocalypse, chapter 21, the Heavenly Jerusalem is described with an exact specification of a long row of measures. A Spanish handwriting from the 900-years shows the city - not upstanding as normally, but flattened - with twelve gates around a chess patterned place. The illustration is somewhat older than the chess boards in the churches mentioned here, but a connection cannot be excluded.
There is no certain interpretation, but it is certain that the chess boards had a very particular purpose, and sooner or later it might be traced."
photo: grethe bachmann
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Kollerup Church, Thy
A few km northeast of the town Fjerritslev
The old Romanesque Communion table, which had a reliquary, has got a pretty place left of the new altarpiece.
A piece from a monstrance cabinet.
A piece of Romanesque gravestone
The medieval door of broad oak planks
The church is situated only 10 km from Svinkløv and Grønne Strand by the North Sea. It has a Romanesque nave, a late Gothic longhouse choir, a western tower and a southern porch and a chapel at the north side of the nave from 1591. The Romanesque nave of which only the flankemurene (flank-walls) are preserved is built in granite aslars. Both doors are preserved , but somewhat changed. From the windows only a round-arched window with a monolit coverstone in the north wall of the nave is preserved. Four other monolit coverstones are bricked-up in the north wall of the chapel, put together to two small niches, while two stones are placed above its north door. In a couple of re-used ashlars in the east wall are some carved lines which form various not very visible figures. In the wall also a chessboard ashlar. From the demolished choir-arch origin probably some vaguely profiled ashlars in the north wall.
In the late Gothic period ab. 1500 the Romanesque choir was replaced by a longhouse choir in re-used ashlar-material and yellow monk bricks. At the same time the walls of the nave were heightened and in the whole building was built five octagonal cross-vaults and a pointed choir arch. The gable triangle in the east was re-walled in 1653 and 1681. The tower is also late Gothic in the same materials, re-used ashlars and yellow monk bricks. Its cross-vaulted bottom room, which is now a tool shed, has a pointed tower arch. Also the two storey-porch to the south is late Gothic. The octagonal vaulted chapel in the north side of the nave is connected to this in a large flat round arch. Its northern part was after 1952 divided into a boiler room and a priest room, when the whole building was restored.
The Romanesque communion table rests upon a square pillar and in the top is a reliquary. The altar piece from 1883 is a simple joinery with a painting from 1898. A Romanesque granite font with archade decorated pyramid foot. The baptismal bowl is pewter from 1689 with a Baroque engraving. The pulpit from 1599 is a rural copy of an Aalborg-type with naive reliefs and a contemporary sounding board. "Lord of the Manor"- pews from 1590 with the coat of arms and names of: Henrik Gyldenstierne and Mette Rud. From a very pretty monstrance cabinet with fine ornaments and rich wrought-iron mounting the cabinet is preserved. Church bells 1) ab. 1450-75 by PLP 2) 1620 by Rudolph Borchardt. A door wing in broad oak-planks is placed in the wall of the north door.
Gravestones: 1) Romanesque with a flat-relief of a Sct. George cross 2) Romanesque with an indefinable figure 3) Fragment of a Romansesque grave cross.
Names in the Middle ages and the 1600s:
Kollerup (1455 Koldrvp); Brøndum (1401 Brwnnæm); Borup (1450 Borup); Andrup (1462 Amdrvp); Vester Hingelbjerg ( 1455 Hingilberg); Aldrup (* 1462 Altrop, 1479 Aldrop); Nr. and Sdr. Dromshave (*1508 Droms waadt, 1626 Drumbshafve, 1688 Nøre-, Synder Droms Hage); Graven (1664 Graffuen); Årup (1542 Aarup Gaard); Bjergegård (1678 Bieregaard) ; Pedersbæk (1552 Persbeck).
In 1455 and 14734 the væbner Esge Bonde of Borup is mentioned. In 1462 he is called a peasant, although he belonged to the noble family Bonde of Thy, knighted in 1430.
In 1455 Jap Skytte of Hingilberg is mentioned, in 1462 the væbner Bord Jensen in Amdrup , and in 1470 and 1504 Ylfar Eskesen of Brøndum. In 1504 he sold to the prior of Vrejlev kloster a part of Størup and Clettrup (in Skallerup parish, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt), which he had inherited after his wife Dorte Pallesdatter and his children.
An agreement was made in 19/9 1474 ab. a Skt. Jørgens Kapel in Kollerup between the Børglum-bishop and Mourids Nielsen Gyldenstierne of Ågård that a priest had to be engaged in order to be in receipt of people's charities and gifts.
During the 1600s the parish suffered much from sand drift.
Listed prehistorics: already Pontoppidan's Atlas mentions that there were heathen gravehills, dolmens and sacrificial places in the parish. The parish is very rich in prehistorics of which a large number are listed: Northwest of the church is a hexagonal dolmen with a cover stone; at Brøndum a long dolmen and a passage grave, of which only a few cover stones are visible; in the dunes at Andrupgård is a disturbed passage grave, where were found a flint axe, arrow heads, amber pearls and clay pot pieces; furthermore 52 hills of which several are large.
At several places in Kollerup plantation are noted Stone Age settlements, mainly from dolktid (a period of 700 years from ab. 2400 bc ). In a bog were found 11 sickles from early Bronze Age. At Hingelbjerge were 10 small hills with jordfæstegrave ( burials where the body was placed unburnt in a wooden coffin or just in a hole in the ground, i.e. swept in a leather cape) from the Viking Period, several with weapons.
Source: Trap Danmark, Thisted amt, 1961
photo 13 June 2006: grethe bachmann
Friday, December 05, 2008
The old wing
Esrum Kloster was etablished by the Order of the Cistercians (White Brothers). Esrum actually began as a Benedictine monastery established by archbishop Eskil in 1140, but was abandoned and in decay - and Eskil then established Esrum in 1151 as a daughter-cloister of the cloister in Clairvaux, since he was a private friend of Bernhard of Clairvaux. Only small remains are left from the large medieval grounds, but there is still a certain medieval atmosphere in the simple tall building.
A lovely tree in the park
The medieval cloister buildings in red monk-bricks were placed north of Esrum Sø in a beautiful untouched landscape with forest and meadows, a landscape which still ecists - but today only a single late medieval east wing is preserved. Below under the present private house-buildings are found rests of a very large building-complex. The cloister-church seems to have been more than 100 meter long ,which makes it the biggest in Denmark.
Fine old wall and a walled-in window
Esrum was a Nordic centre in the common European net of cloisters spreading from Sicily to Norway and from Poland to Ireland. It became the biggest and most important cloister in Scandinavia and was ancestress of a long row of cloisters in Scandinavia, in North Germany and in Poland, among those Vitskøl, Sorø, Ryd, Dargun in the Wendic area (later moved to Eldena) and Colbaz in Poland. During the 1100s Esrum monastery was a Scandinavian spearhead for spreading the Order of the Cistercians. Furthermore the White Brothers of Esrum became the biggest landowners in North Zealand , receiving gifts during the Middle Ages from magnates and other rich benefactors. These old informations are kept in the socalled Esrumbog from 1497. Five manuscripts are preserved, four from about year 1200.
Esrum Kloster from the yard
After the reformation the cloister was allowed to function until 1559. The last monks were transferred to Sorø Kloster (Monastery), and the demolition of the big cloister church in Esrum began. Some of the building materials were used for building Kronborg Castle by Elsinore. The rest of the building by Esrum were used for several purposes up to 1931 where they were transferred to Indenrigsministeriet (ministry of the interior) and later to Boligministeriet (ministry of housing). They were leased by private persons and by The National Museum (Copenhagen) storing purpose.
In 1992 a Natural Center and a School of Environment were established in the old farmbuilding Esrum Møllegård. The old watermill was restored and a part is now converted into an ecological café. The same year the restoration of the cloister-building started, finansed by Frederiksborg Amtsråd plus several fonds and private persons, and in 1997 Esrum Kloster opened to the public and was in the year 2000 administratively added together with Esrum Møllegård in an independent fond Esrum Kloster and Møllegård.
Esrum Kloster in the yard, entré in the corner down to
the restaurant in the vaulted cellar.
When digging the area during the restoration many relict-plants grew up from seeds which had been sleeping in the earth for centuries. Experts from Scandinavia got together and created a fantastic medieval garden (Esrum Klosterhave) with a various selection of plants with a cultural and medicinal history. Herbs can be bought in the shop. Besides the ecological café in Esrum Møllegård there is also a café in the vaulted cellar in the cloister building , "Broder Rus Café", where people can get dishes made from original medieval recipes and beer, brewed like the monks did. (Munkeøl).
Vistkøl Kloster, the church ruins
Cistercian Cloisters in Denmark in the Middle Ages:
Esrum Kloster (1151-1153) earlier a Benedictine monastery. Monks came from Clairvaux.
Holme Kloster (1172) Later name 1672 Brahe Trolleborg. Remains without public admittance.
Knardrup Kloster (1320) between Ganløse and Mårløv. Monks from Sorø. No remains.
Løgum Kloster (1173) Monks from Herrevad. Remains: a tree-naved cross-church and part of east wing with library and Kapitelsal.
Roskilde Kloster (Nunnery) (before 1177) connection to Sorø Kloster, from here a daughter cloister is established in Bergen at Rügen 1193. (Rügen belonged to Roskilde bishopric.)
Slangerup Kloster (Nunnery) (1175) No remains.
Sminge Kloster (1165) by Gudenå north of Silkeborg. Monks from Vitskøl. Moved later to Veng Kloster.
Sorø Kloster (1142/1161). Monks from Esrum. Daughter-cloisters Knardrup and Ås. Remains: Sorø Klosterkirke. Archbishop Absalon' s burial place is here.
Tvis Kloster (1163), East of Holstebro on an island in the river Tviså. Daughter of Herrevad Kloster. No remains.
Veng Kloster (see Øm Kloster). North of Skanderborg. The church still exists.
Vitskøl Kloster (1158) Vitae Scola, daughter-cloister of Esrum. By Limfjorden south of Løgstør. Vitskøl founded a daughter-cloister in Øm, established with means from Valdemar the Great's paternal inheritance. Later name Bjørnsholm, present name Vitskøl. The church is a ruin. Cloister-building is partly remains.
Øm Kloster (1172) Cara Insula, by Mossø, south of Ry. Daughter-cloister of Vitskøl. Once named Emborg. Monks came from several places, among others Veng. Øm Klosters Chronicle covers the period 1172-1267. No remains, except ruins. Exhibition and little museum mainly with bone-findings. Building materials from the demolished Øm Kloster were used for Skanderborg Slot where the church still exists. (by the main street in the town Skanderborg).
Ryd Kloster by Flensborg Fjord.
photo 2008: grethe bachmann (except photo from Vitskøl 2003)
Friday, November 28, 2008
Gavnø Slot on South Zealand is built upon the foundations of a Dominican convent which queen Margrethe I established in 1402, Sct. Agnes convent , a four winged cloisterdesign from which few rests remain in the south wing of the present main building with the chapel.
The three winged main building from 1755 appears as a perfect Rococco mansion with the yellow chalked walls under a black glazed tiled roof. The interior is magnificent. The church with its Gothic vaults origins undoubtedly from the earliest days of the convent in the beginning of the 1400s.
In the reformation year 1536 the convent was abolished like all other Danish cloisters and taken over by the Crown, but in 1584 king Frederick II exchanged the property to his vasal Hans J. Lindenow. After the Swedish wars Gavnø was sold to admiral Niels Trolle and the Trolle-family later exchanged the estate with the powerful Scanian Thott-family who are still the owners of Gavnø now 300 years later.
The interior is marked with the unique painting collections of Baron Otto Reedtz-Thott, one of Denmarks biggest private collections. Furthermore he left a large book collection of 140.000 volumes, now at the Royal Library.
The church is one of Gavnø's attractions. It was a part of the Dominican cloister, but some of the inventory is Baroque with a magnificent altar piece and pulpit from 1670. A headless troll -which is a figure from the family Trolle's coat of arms - supports the pulpit. A fine Late Gothic crucifix and a bride's stool from the 1500s are interesting parts of the inventory.
Gavnø is placed upon an island by the entering of the town Næstved. The original drawbridge was succeeded by a pile bridge in 1766, but in the storm 1872 the pile bridge was destroyed and succeeded by the present solid stone bridge. The landscape garden from the 1850s is inspired by English garden design and has rests of the Baroque garden from the beginning of the 1700s. The lime tree avenue and the big trees in the garden are from Otto Reedtz-Thott's time in the beginning of the 1800s.
From 1960 Gavnø has been a n independent institution and the park and parts of the main building are open to the public. The famous tulipe park opened in 1967 with thousands of tulips and other bulb plants. Furthermore there are roses and herbaceous perennials and a sommerfugleland (butterfly-country) , which is open to the public during the summer season.
photo 2007: grethe bachmann
Monday, October 27, 2008
Corner of Selsø Lake
A little harbour by Selsø
Selsø is first mentioned in the historic sources in 1288 in the Latin term "curia" referring to a larger manor. It belonged to the bishop in Roskilde until the reformation 1536 - and until 1556 to the Crown - but in 1559 it came to rich noble family Ulfeldt. Jacob Ulfeldt moved the manor away from the church to its present position, and he built in the 1570s a new Renaissance main building in red monk bricks from the demolished convent in Roskilde, St. Clara, where he in 1571 bought 1/2 million bricks.
The main building was surrounded by moats and a pointed block wall with towers in the corners. Later Selsø Manor was marked by a rebuilding in 1728-34. The main building was "freed" for its Renaissance decoration and tower. The old porthouse was replaced by the present square portbuilding in early Rococco style. After a thorough restoration in the 1970s the main building appears again in its former glory untouched by the "bessermachen" in the 1800s.
Selsø Manor was in 1972 rented by herregårdshistorikeren (Manor historian) Bernhard Linder , who established a manor museum in the main building. Riddersalen (The Great Hall) is remarkable with a stuccato loft and marbled panels from the 1730s. Here are also several paintings from the 1700s by the Dutch artist Hendrik Krock. In the vaulted cellar from the 1500s is a big kitchen which is often presented as Denmarks oldest manor kitchen with open fireplace and walled laundry. Besides alternate exhibitions are exhibitions of old agricultural tools, weapons and domestic utensils.
Selsø church was built as a round church ab. 1150, but was rebuilt in ab. 1250 where only the apse was left from the old church. The porch is from ab. 1400 and the tower from ab. 1500.
The church has a beautiful position on a hillside by Selsø lake, which is the rest of a corner of Roskilde fjord. Here was the island Selsø which in the early Middle Ages belonged to the church in Roskilde, and Selsø church was supposedly built as a round fortificated castle church during the troubled period in the 1130s and the 1140s in which the bishops and other important clerical people supported the alternate pretenders.
While Selsø Manor was a church estate it was placed close to the round castle church, but later it was moved to another position. Still it is placed only a few hundred meters from the present church. The inventory in Selsø church is marked by the neighbourhood of the family Ulfeldt. A couple of herskabsstole ( Lord of the Manor stools) are dated 1593 with Ulfeldt and his wife's coat of armour. The pretty Renaissance altar piece is given in 1605 by Mogens Ulfeldt who also gave the special octagonal baptismal sandstone font decorated with angels' heads.
photo september 2008: grethe bachmann
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
The dean has a conversation outside the cathedral
Maribo Cathedral was built as a klosterkirke for the Birgittines. Queen Margrethe I ordered a village Skimminge confiscated in favour of the new convent and monastery in 1408 - and a few years later the klosterkirke was built. Its placement by the lake (Maribo Søndersø) and it's architecture makes it one of the prettiest buildings in Denmark. In the late 1500s the klosterkirke became a parish church for the town Maribo.
The magnificent altar piece Mariatavlen which was in the church before the reformation is now in Engestofte church a few km east of Maribo (see Engestofte). The present Baroque altar piece is from 1641 and the Renaissance pulpit from 1606, the baptismal font is sandstone from 1777. The church has many epitaphs and a considerable collection of gravestones from the 1400s up to the 1600s. Famous is Chr. IV's daughter, Leonora Christine's grave stone.
West of and close to the cathedral are the ruins of the convent. It was very similar to the mother convent in Vadstena. The ruins of the more simple monastery south of the church are hidden under the dean's house.
photo 2003: grethe bachmann
Nakskov church behind the town square
A portal by the entrance
The altar piece
The pulpit with sounding board
The gallery with the organ
Iron bound coffer with three locks.
Nakskov church was built during a very long time with various periods' perception of architecture. There is not much left from the original Romanesque brickwork church. Ab. 1400 the citizens started a rebuilding project for a Gothic cathedral which never was finished. A serious fire in 1420 was probably one of the reasons why the rebuilding stopped, and it was not completed until the middle of the 1600s. Much work was made through the centuries and in 1906 was the result. The church and its tower is a strange product of mixed style. Frederick IV said about the tower: "I have never seen such a big man with such a small hat."
The finest piece in the church is the big altar piece from 1657. It was made by the fine Odense-carver Anders Mortensen, who had made a similar altar piece for Sct. Knud church in Odense. The best carver at Lolland from the same period, Jørgen Ringnis made the fine Renaissance pulpit with the sounding board, which is dated 1630. The gallery from 1631 by the church organ (from 1648) was also carved by Jørgen Ringnis. The baptismal font of alabaster is a rare piece. It was made in 1758 by court sculptor Simon Carl Stanley, who is known from his stucco work at Amalienborg Castle and several Danish manors.
The church was heavily damaged during the Swedish attacks on the city in 1658 and 1659. Left of the choir arch is placed a Swedish canon ball which 19. June 1659 was shot through the choir vault "og gjorde på altertavlen stor skade" (damaged the altar piece seriously). Other Swedish shells are walled-in in the tower.
Nakskov church is surrounded by a close built-up area with the town square (Axeltorv) on the south east side. The original church yard was confiscated in 1810, and a new cemetery was placed on the road to Maribo.The name Klostergade a few steps north of the church gives witness to that the town had a Kloster (Monastery) which was established in the 1300s. In the 1400s it functioned as a hospital, but after the reformation it lost its significance as a hospital and was furnished into a fattighus (house for poor people). After the Swedish ravage of the town which was taken after two and a half months siege on the 15. July 1659, only the church building was still standing, but damaged like most other houses in the town. Klosterkirken was heavily damaged and was demolished in 1689.
photo 2003: grethe bachmann
Østtofte church with the square medieval tower
Behind Østtofte church is a view to an old stubmølle. A stubmølle is a windmill built in wood and placed upon a foot so the whole mill is turned by the wind. Most stubmøller in Denmark were built between 1200-1800, where the Dutch windmill took over.
A few km northwest of Maribo lies Østtofte church. The church dominates the landscape with its large late medieval tower. The church was built in the 1200s. The tower is almost square with a pyramid roof and it is different from other Danish Gothic church towers. It looks more like a German city portal. The tower's holes indicate that there once might have been an outdoor wooden watchman's gallery.
The porch is from the end of the Middle Ages, while the northern wing is from 1656. The choir is covered with frescoes. The unique pictures in the star-vault are painted ab. 1380, probably by a German master and they belong to the most important in Denmark because of the well-kept colours and the unique representation of Adam's death and the biblical people in dresses from the 1300s. The Baroque pulpit is from 1640s and the altar piece is dated to 1674 . An early Gothic choir-crucifix is in the National Museum in Copenhagen.
In Østtofte and Sørup the king owned estate in Valdemar Sejr's ruling period.
Near Erikstrup in the forest Skåningshave is one of Denmarks most impressive castle banks Eriksvolde with beautiful old trees. It consists of two ab. 33 m broad castle banks, both surrounded by motts and a common bank. Outside the inner bank is another mott and a lower outer bank. The motts are still partly water-filled. The history about this place is not known.
photo 2004: grethe bachmann
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
The Gothic altar piece
A Memory table in Engestofte church.
Engestofte manor with church belonged to the Crown since the 1200s, but king Hans sold it in 1496 to Jørgen Baad. After several changes of ownership Engestofte was sold to the wealthy merchant in Nykøbing Falster, Bertel Wichmand. The son was in 1777 ennobled under the name Wichfeld, and the family owned Engestofte for 250 years until 1967.
The yellow-washed classistic main building with the black tiled roof is built by Henning Wichfeld in 1805-07 after demolishing the old three-winged plan. Close to the manor is the simple Gothic church with a ridge turret instead of a tower and with the Wichfeld-family's grave place between the manor and the church. In the church is a wonderful magnificent Gothic altar piece and a memory table for Monica Wichfeld who was a member of the resistance during WWII and died in German imprisonment 27. February 1945 after having rejected an offer of a milder prison Denmark.
Monica Wichfeld was born in England in 1894 and was married to Jørgen Wichfeld of Engestofte. She participated already in 1941 in the Danish resistance and finansed the printing and distribution of the illegal magazine "Frit Danmark" at Lolland. From 1943 Engestofte was a connecting link to SOE (Special Operations Executive) in England, to which her daughter Varinka Wichfeld also was attached. She married Flemming B. Muus.
On 13. January 1944 Engestofte was encircled by German soldiers, who arrested the whole family. Monicas husband and son were released later, while she was brought to Dagmarhus in Copenhagen. On a court-martial in May 1944 she was sentenced to death, but was reprieved with life in prison. In the beginning of June 1944 she was brought to the prison Cottbus in Germany. She died of pneumonia after a three days long march without any food to another prison in Waldheim. She had rejected an offer about a milder imprisonment in Denmark.
photo 2007: grethe bachmann
Søholt by the lake Søndersø is established after 1576 upon the old lands of Krønge manor with the abolished village Bregerup, probably by Morten Venstermand, whose widow Anne Andersdatter Galt is mentioned of Søholt 1611. She married 1616 Falk Axelsen Brahe of Orebygaard.
After several owners during the centuries the main building was built in 1647 by Justus Fr. von Papenheim. It was rebuilt ab. 1700 by Gehejmeraad Henning U. Lützow who built a three-winged manor. He also landscaped a large Baroque garden and established a chapel which was inaugurated by the well-known priest and poet Thomas Kingo. In 1940 Søholt was sold to cand. jur. Eiler Marcher who restored von Papenheims main building in a respectful way and modernised the home farm and the enterprise.
Søholt belongs to the Krønge parish and the church in Krønge is a small brick building (munkesten) with a Romanesque choir and nave and a late Romanesque porch. In the National Museum is a chalice with the Danish lions and an inscription for Queen Margrethe I. The Romanesque Baptismal font is familiar to several fonts on the southern part of Funen. The pulpit is from 1600s. The church bell, cast by Felix Fuchs 1631 hangs in a wall hole (glamhul) in the West gable.
In Krønge north of the most western farm was a now missing main farm/manor (ab. 1400 Krøinge hoffuit gard), which in 1357 belonged to Henrik Ahlefeldt, and in 1397-98 to his son hr. Benedikt Ahlefeldt who 1401 sold all his estate to queen Margrethe I. When Søholt manor was established in the end of the 1500s, Krønge manor disappeared . In 1599 the main building must have existed, since fru Inger Clausdatter Ravensberg, Morten Venstermands mother in law, died 1599 at Krønge.
photo 2007: grethe bachmann
Hotel and Restaurant by Oreby Mill
Old granary by Oreby Mill
Orebygaard has a beautiful situation by the mouth of Sakskøbing fjord and close to the little place of disembarkation Oreby harbor with inn and old granaries. The Valdemar kings had a castle here in the 1200s. In the 1400s the castle owner was the family Bølle.The last member of the family Bølle was Birgitte Bølle , who built a fine Renaissance house like the neighbouring Berritsgaard. The architect was probably Hans Steenwinckel den Ældre.
During the next centuries the manor was gradually neglected, but in 1775 Poul Abraham Lehn of Hvidkilde at Funen bought Oreby. A descendant had the whole building restored in the beginning of the 1800s, which removed most of the Renaissance look.
The present castle building which is built in the 1870s upon the foundations of the Renaissance manor is an attempt to reconstruct the 1500s-building with portal, towers and curving gables.
The part with public admittance is the pretty place Oreby Mill by the Oreby harbor. From the mill which now is "Bed and Breakfast" and wine cellar is a wonderful view across the big sloping lawns to the waters by Sakskøbing fjord.
photo 2007: grethe bachmann