Thursday, November 26, 2009

Lerbjerg church / Lerbjerg kirke, Galten herred, Randers amt.

Lerbjerg church, ab. 9 km south of Randers
Lerbjerg sogn, Galten herred, Randers amt.

(click to enlarge)

The small church has a Romanesque choir and nave and a porch at the south side. The choir and nave are in granite ashlars, a Romanesque window is preserved in the gable, the other windows all small and romanized, seemingly they origin from a restoration in 1896. Both doors of the nave are preserved, the bricked-up north door was in 1896 placed on its original place and decorated with rope-windings. The south door, which edge profiles also have rope-windings, has on the frame stones relief images and in the thympanum field a double animal with wings and a human head. Inside are flat plaster lofts, the choir arch is preserved with profiled kragsten in various shapes and not placed in the same level.

Upon a walled communion table in granite is places a frontside panel from 1957. Altar piece in late Renaissance from ab. 1630, similar to the altar piece in Vissing ; it is built with pillars, side wings and top field, in the main field a new painting. Altar candelabres from the first half of the 1600s. The altar rails with balustres has a carved year 1743 and the giver-name Arnoldus von Wolden. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin and a foot piece as an upturneddice capital. Pulpit with sounding board in rural Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s. The very well-kept pews have carved years 1640 and 1654. Two very worn-out gravestones from the late 1600s in the porch and in the choir.

Names in the Middle Ages: Lerbjerg (*1423 Lierberg, 1478 Leerbergh).

There is only one prehistoric in the parish, the destroyed Lerbækshøj. - At Lerbjerg was a burial place from early Iron Age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo Lerbjerg kirke 2008: grethe bachmann

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lyngby church / Lyngby kirke, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt.

Lyngby Church, 10 km southwest of Grenå
Lyngby sogn, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt.

The white-washed church in Lyngby on Djursland is a longhouse with a three-sided end of the choir, a tower to the west and two additions to the north: a sacristy (now burial chapel) and a porch. The core is a Romanesque limestone church of which only the side walls of the nave and the western gable is preserved. The original walls have under the roof an arcade gallery with dwarf-pillars. Both doors are preserved, the bricked-up south door is placed in a portal projection, the north door with smooth frames is still in use. On the north side of the nave is a Romanesque window. In the Gothic period was the old choir broken down, and the church was extended to the east in the broadth of the nave, and a three-sided choir-end was added. At the same time were built five bays cross vaults in the longhouse. In the late Middle Ages was added the heavy tower. In the over vaulted room of the tower was built a circular stair tower. The two additions are also late Gothic: the small cross vaulted sacristy and the large porch (with a fireplace in the north wall), originally built in two storeys and partly built in re-used limestone ashlars.

figures from the altar piece

In the vaults of the church were in 1903 found late Gothic frescoes from ab. 1500 (partly washed over again) and the coat of arms of bishop Jens Iversen Lange. Upon the communion table with a front panel with landscape-paintings from ab. 1720 stands a large altar piece in Bruskbaroque, given in 1664 by Math. R. Reinfranch of Fævejle. Two Baroque altar candelabres. Altar rails from 1702 with the coat of arms of Krag-Høg. A Romanesque granite font with rope-windings upon the basin and animal figures on the foot. A pulpit in Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s with Corinthic double pillars as a frame around arcade fields and a contemporary sounding board. The simple pews were according to inscription given in 1616 by parish-priest Niels Sørensen, upmost in the church contemporary Lord of the Manor pews.
Gravestones, memorials and epitaphs in porch, tower room, nave; i.e.Romanesque gravestone with figures.

The church dike in raw granite boulder is still very large, but before 1853-54, when it was broken down to half height, it was about 1,7 m thick and ab. 3,8 m high; the legend says that an aristocratic lady built the church, and her sister promised to build a wall which was more expensive than the church; the wall cost 1 skilling more than the church.

Fævejle. The væbner Jense Laursen and væbner Henrik Blik conveyed in 1429 to hr. Otte Nielsen (Rosenkrantz) of Hevringholm a desolate site in Fævejle, which their wives had inherited from Andreas Eysen whose gravestone is still in the church. In 1469 and 1487 the priest Jep Tordsen lived in F. In 1580 it was from the chapter in Århus exchanged to the Crown, which in 1581 exchanged it to Iver Juel of Lykkesholm; hr. Palle Rosenkrantz of Krenkerup got it with his wife Helvig Rantzau (+ 1618), but in 1621 it was owned by Gert Bryske's wife Kirsten Sandberg(+ 1647) whose maternal aunt Sophie Rostrup in 1632 gave it to her daughter Abel Bryske (+ unmarried after 1646). In 1648 rigsråd Frederik Reedtz (+1659) bought it; in 1661 it belonged to his son amtmand Jørgen Reedtz and son-in-law Erik Hardenberg Gyldenstierne. Later owners: Reinfranck, Høeg Banner, Høyer, Mønsted, : Owner in 1945. Ivar Brorson Mønsted. The main building was built in 1875 by N.J.A. Mønsted.

Lykkesholm belonged in 1552 to Erik Juel, in 1566 to his widow Anne Friis (of Haraldskær), 1581 and 1595 his son Iver Juel (+ after 1607, childless) and then to Børge Trolle of Trolholm (+ 1610). In 1643 it was owned by Erik Høg (Banner) of Bjørnholm + 1673, whose son Iver Juul Høg (Banner) in 1681 placed it under the barony Høgholm. Later owners: Mønsted, Westergaard, Achton. Owner from 1942 T. Blach. The main building i s listed in class B. Built in 1804 by O.C. Mønsted.

Obdrupgård was in 1441 a farm under Bjørnholm and belonged later to this. In Obdrupgård's garden is a circular castle bank 20 m diameter, ab. 6 m high, surrounded by moat. Upon the bank have been found monk bricks.

Bjørn Tordsen sold Allelev to hr. Anders Pedersen Stygge (Galen), but re-bought the estate in 1332. The væbner Ove Sab in A. is mentioned 1429 and 1441. Allelevgård belonged in 1469 to hr. Erik Ottesen (Rosenkrantz), who in 1499 transferred it to his late son Holger's children.

In the parish are mentioned farms: Tromborg (1664 Tromborre, 1688 Tromborre Huus) and Gråbækgård from a settlement Gråbæk (ab. 1300 Grobæk mark). Both Tromborg, Gråbækgård and the house Amholt (1664 Ambholt) were under Lykkesholm. In Allelev was Lasborghuset (1688 Laszborre Huuset). Furthermore is in the Middle Ages mentioned Plovsmølle (ab. 1300 Plozmølleæ). Pismølle (1610 Pesmølle) is now demolished.

Upon a field at Trustrupgård was in 1929 found a stone jar with 1409 coins, mostly from Erik Klipping's and Erik Menved's time.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Lyngby (* 1333 Løngbye, 1429 Lyungby); Trustrup (o.1300 Thruæthstorp, Thrutstorp), Fladstrup (* 1477 Flastrvp, 1479 Flastrup); Allelev (* 1332 Alwærløfæ); Saldrup (1458 Saldrop); Obdrup (o.1300 Vbæthorp); Lykkesholm (1664 Løckis Hollen); Fævejle (1429 Fæuedæl); Obdrupgård (1467 Wldrop gard, 1496 Obdrup gort).

Listed prehistorics: the long dolmen Stenhøj with two chambers without cover stone and 3 hills in the outskirts of Adellykke skov. Furthermore 6 hills of which Egehøj north of Allelev and Louisehøj at Fævejle are rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: 2 long dolmens, 2 dolmen chambers and 80 hills, of which ab. 20 were under Trustrup and a similiar number under Lykkesholm. - At Møllehøj were found two goldbrakteats, one large, and 4 goldrings.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963

photo Lyngby kirke/Fævejle March 2009: grethe bachmann

Monday, November 23, 2009

Marie Magdalene church / Marie Magdalene kirke, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt.

Marie Magdalene Church, 27 km west of Grenå
Marie Magdalene sogn, Sønderhald herred, Randers amt.

The stately church has a nave and a choir with an apse, a western tower, a southern porch and a big burial vault at the south side of the choir. In spite of the Romanesque ground plan the church was built in the Gothic period, in the 1400s by marsk hr. Otte Nielsen Rosenkrantz and his wife upon a place where:"skov og træer stode, og de havde ladet bortrydde" (cleared some forest) . The church is built in red monk bricks upon an ashlar plinth from an earlier church.The flat- curved south door is preserved , the north door is bricked-up. The white-washed porch in monk bricks is an addition from the end of the Middle Ages, and two rowan trees grew from the wall only a short time ago. The tower from 1593 is also built in monk bricks by Mogens Juel of Ryomgård. The vaulted south chapel was possibly built as a burial chapel for the family Kruse. In 1904 were found frescoes in apse, choir and nave from the Catholic period; biblical themes (i.e.Doom's Day) and the coat of arms of Otte Nielsen Rosenkrantz of Hevringholm and wife, fru Else Holgersdatter Krognos, bishop in Århus (1423-1449) Ulrik Stygge and Niels Eriksen Rosenkrantz and wife Birgitte Olufsdatter Thott. Upon the vault of the choir are plant ornaments. The nave got a vault in ab. 1500, probably at the expense of Niels Eriksen Rosenkrantz and wife. Restoration of church in 1962-63.

The communion table is monk bricks, the altar piece is a magnificent Rococo piece from 1557 with the coat of arms of Jørgen Fogh Wilster, at the expense of his widow, Anne Margrethe Galten. The original painting in the middle field was placed in the altar piece in 1946. The granite font is from the same time as the building of the church and has the coat of arms of Otte Rosenkrantz, Else Krognos and bishop Ulrik Stygge and the patron saint St.Clemens of Århus bishopric. The font has 1716 been equipped with festoons and a sounding-board. The baptismal basin is Nürnberg-type from the 1500s. A late Gothic crucifix is upon the wall on the nave. The Baroque pulpit and sounding-board are from ab. 1650. At the pulpit is an hourglass. The pews are from the 1700s.

Kolindsund, former sea bed.

Ryomgård belonged to Birgitte Eriksdatter Rosenkrantz, m. to landsdommer Mogens Pallesen Juel (+ 1605), who in 1606 conveyed it to his brother Børge Rosenkrantz of Ørup (+ 1614), who the same year sold it to Axel Galt (+ 1614). In 1608 he had the farm by law after a feud with Dorete and Anna Vestenie; but in 1613-18 is Gunde Galde written to the farm. It later belonged to Enevold Kruse of Stenalt (+ 1621), his widow Else Marsvin (+ 1632) and the son Jørgen Kruse (+ 1666), whose heirs disclaimed disabilities on succeeding to property . Later owners: Pogwisch, Fogh Wilster,Hoff, Wodschou, Brockenhuus,Castenschiold, Scheel. Owner in 1953 Postmester O. Nielsen.

Gammel Ryomgård/manor is placed upon a peninsula in meadows, which are rests of Kolindsund. The north wing of the main building was built by Jørgen Kruse and is listed in klasse B. Upon the middle of the north wing was a stair tower and on the north east corner was an octagonal tower. Gammel Ryomgård was heavily rebuilt in ab. 1768. Rests of an earlier main building were found about 30 m south of the present. The fine farm buildings were built by Jørgen Kruse and are listed in klasse A.

West of the church was once a very visited sacred well, Marie Magdalene kilde, according to legend two virgins Marie and Magdalene were healed here, and as a thank they built a chapel, which later was demolished and replaced by the church. There was also a sacred well at Bøjstrup.

The village Ryom (1470 Rydum) with 14 farms was closed down ab. 1644 after an extensive fire. By the church was earlier a farm Estrup or Astrup (*1460 Æsterop hoos sancte Marie Magdalene 1574 Astrup, which is now named Marie Magdalene).

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Marie Magdalene (* 1458 Marie Magdalene kirke); Pindstrup ( 1467 Pinstrvp); Bøjstrup (1607 Boystrup); Brunmose ( 1688 Brunmosehuuset); Klemstrupgård (1470 Clemestrop); Viborghus
(1688 Wiborg Skoufhuus); Lille Bøjstrup (1664 Lille Bøystrup).

Listed prehistorics: two round dolmens, one passage grave, 5 hills and 3 røser (stone-graves ). The round dolmens , both at Klemstrupgård, have polygonal chambers without cover stones, the passage grave is Randershøj north of Marie Magdalene, only a few cover stones are visible.
Demolished or destroyed: Two long dolmens, two dolmen chambers, 18 hills and one røse (stone grave).

Behind Ryomgård Realskole (High School) was a settlement from dyssetid (Stone Age) examined, and along the country road in the west end of Ryomgård was a burial site from early Roman Iron Age.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963

photo 2003/2008: grethe bachmann

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mejlby church / Mejlby kirke, Øster Lisbjerg herred, Randers amt.

Mejlby Church, ab. 10 km north of Århus
Mejlby sogn, Øster Lisbjerg herred, Randers amt

Mejbly church was re-inaugurated 6/12 1874 after a thorough rebuild caused by dilapidation. It has a Romanesque apse, choir and nave and a tower to the west, which in 1957 was built above the ashlar porch from 1874. The Romanesque part is in granite ashlars, from preserved details are the apse arch with kragbånd and the bricked-up window with a monolit lintel. The north door of the nave has a relief-decorated thympanum ( lion and ropes), while the south door in 1874 was moved to the western entrance in the porch. Its framestones have rope-decorations and a fine lion relief, its thympanum three sitting figures; north of the door is an ahshlar with a high chessboard-field. The vaults from the Middle Ages were in 1874 replaced by a beamed ceiling.

The communion table is a free-standing pine box. The altar piece from 1934 is a copy from Joakim Skovgård, the frame is a copy from Thorvald Bindesböll. The earlier Renaissance altar piece hangs upon the south wall. Upon the north wall is a terribly re-painted Mary with child from a late Catholic altar piece. Altar candelabres from the late 1500s. Romanesque granite font with lion in low relief, birds and lions in the fields. A baptismal bowl with church name "Meyelby" and 1691. A baptismal jar from 1937. Simple pulpit from the late 1700s. In the middle storey a small museum with an iron bound door from the 1700s, five plaster figures and two gravestones.

Kalstrup was in 1450 conveyed by Niels Jonsen in Underup to Essenbæk kloster, in 1483 Peder Pallesen in Ålsrode claimed K. by law, K belonged to Øm kloster and in the 1600s it was under Kalø. In 1661 the king sold it to Gunde Rosenkrantz, in 1669 sold Erik Rosenkrantz of Vosnæsgård K. together with Skæring Munkgård to Jesper Thygesen, whose son Thyge Jespersen owned Skårupgård. Later owner: Thygesen, Bygballe, Mohnsen. In 1915 Udstykningsforeningen for Kaløvigegnen ( outparcelling).

Krannestrup belonged as an unbuilt field in 1459 to hr. Otte Nielsen Rosenkrantz of Bjørnholm acc. to sheet from Christiern and Anders Petz and was by the son Erik Ottesen Rosenkrantz in 1499 with much estate transferred to his late son Holger's children. Before 1552 it had buildings and was inherited in the family Rosenkrantz until 1654 when Gunde Rosenkrantz exchanged it to the Crown, from which he again bought it in 1661 and in 1662 conveyed it to his sister Dorthe Rosenkrantz; in 1690 it was owned by Jens Rosenkrantz of Faurskov. Later owners: Bielke, Hjersing, Degn, Behr, Wiid, Pind, Hviid. Owner in 1935: Niels Aage Arve.

Mejlby was among the estate which Erik Plovpenning's daughers Jutta and Agnes in 1263 (?) inherited after their father. Niels Andersen willed in 1302 his estate in M. to Øm kloster.

Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Mejlby (ab. 1399 Methalby); Krannestrup (* 1459 Kranistorp); Ogstrup (* 1451 Agstroppæ, Ogstruppæ); Bygballe (1610 Biugballe); Kalstrup (* 1433 Kalstrop).

There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 37 hills, all demolished or overploughed.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo Mejlby kirke 2004 : grethe bachmann

Friday, November 20, 2009

Rimsø church / Rimsø kirke, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt.

Rimsø Church, ab. 8 km northwest of Grenå
Rimsø sogn, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt
photo: stig bachmann nielsen
Naturplan Foto
Rimsø Church is a large impressive building with a Romanesque choir and nave and late Gothic additions, a tower to the west and a porch to the north. The Romanesque part is in granite ashlars. The northern portal is in use and the southern portal is walled-in with very rich decorations. It is similar to the portals in Ørsted and Vejlby made by Master Horder. The south portal was for a period kept at Sostrup Slot, but came back on its place in 1895. The choir has a circular window to the east and to the north a round arch window, both windows were re-opened in 1953-56. In the north wall of the nave is a bricked-up round arch window. In the late Gothic period ab. 1500-30 the choir arch was extended (ashlars from the Romanesque choir arch is placed upon the church yard north of the tower) and in the choir was built one, in the nave three cross-vaults. At the same time the strong tower in re-used ashlars and monk bricks was built. Its bottom room has an octagonal vault and a circular stair tower built in the northwest corner. The north gable has kept its Nordsjælland-Djursland decoration. The porch is in monk bricks and with a strange decoration, which surrounds the door and is flanked by pointed arch ornamentations. The building was restored in 1953-56.

The communion table is walled and the altar piece is a crucifixion group in oakwood made in 1953-56 by Eigil Vedel- Schmidt. The former altar piece from 1900 was a copy after a Carl Bloch-painting. A Romanesque granite font with a simple early Renaissance lid from 1587. Two baptismal basins 1) a small south German from ab. 1575 2) a large south German, given in 1689 by Marcus Schierph, but with an earlier coat of arms of Christen Skeel, ab. 1599. A pulpit in simple Renaissance from ab. 1610-25. A church bell ab. 1450, possibly by Johannes Nicolai with two minuscel-inscriptions.

(click to enlarge)

A very large runestone was found in the south side of the church wall. It stands now on a hill east of the church. A piece is broken and disappeared, therefore the inscription is defect: "Thore, Enrådes broder, rejste denne sten efter sin moder og --ku--authi som værst for sønnen (?)". = "Thore, Enråde's brother, raised this stone after his mother and -- ku -- authi as worst for the son (?).

Rimsø Præstegård (vicarage) origins from 1593
(rebuilt later) but is listed in class A.

photo: stig bachmann nielsen, Naturplan Foto

Names in the Middle Ages:
Rimsø = (1430 Rymsø, Rymsøø, 1441 Rimsø, 1443 Rømsøe)
Albæk = (*1346 Allnbeck sogenn, 1464 Almæbæk)

A main farm in Rimsø belonged in 1430 and 1446 to Torben Esgesen (Udsen), in 1496-96 to his son Svend Torbernsen (Udsen), who gave most of the estate to Sostrup, in 1661 the Crown sold the main farm in Rimsø etc. to Matheus Rudolphus Reinfranck.

Albækgård belonged to Claus Limbek in 1346; in 1431 Jens Henriksen Prip sold his halfpart of A. to Niels Krumpen and in 1465 his brother Niels Henriksen Prip sold his rights in A. to Niels Krumpen's son-in-law Erik Bille of Bjergbygård (+ ab. 1484). Frederik Ulfeldt's widow Birgitte Marsvin sold Albækgård in 1612, in 1664 it was a farm belonging to Sostrup. In 1735 and in 1793 the farm had serious sand drifts.

In the parish at the border to Gjerrild was a farm Tolstrup (1430 Tholstrop). The name Tolstrupdamme (1464 Tolstrup Dam) is still known in Gjerrild parish.

Listed prehistorics: One long hill and 10 hills, one hill northwest of the town is rather large and belonged to a group of which three are demolished.
Demolished or destroyed: One long dolmen, two stone cists and 25 hills; close to each other in a bog south of Emmelev were found two sacrifices: 5 flint axes in each. The large runestone see Rimsø church.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.

photo Rimsø kirke 2008: Stig Bachmann og grethe bachmann

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rosmus church / Rosmus kirke and Rugård, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt.

Rosmus Church, 20 km south west of Grenå
Rosmus sogn, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt.

The little white-washed church was in 1517 called Vor Frue kirke (Our Lady's Church). The nave and the former choir with apse are Romanesque, they were built in limestone ashlars and field stones, but the outer walls of the nave are little by little rebuilt in bricks , and the limestones have been removed. The tower is built in the end of the Middle Ages in field stones mixed with monk bricks. The porch is from the same period. It has solid walls mostly of field stones.

The altar piece from ab. 1800 has a simple structure with half pillars as a frame of a contemporary painting. A Romanesque granite font with lion figures from the same workshop as the Hyllested-font. Simple pulpit from the 1600s with panelwork as a frame around arcade fields. Upmost in the nave a couple of high pew gables from the beginning of the 1600s. Upon the north wall a memorial tablet for fallen soldiers from 1864.

Rugård. In his will of 1183 bisp Svend of Århus gave Øm kloster various estate in this area, mainly in Rosmus parish; farms are mentioned in Rosmus, Attrup, Ørup and Enegårde. Rosmus church belonged to the kloster and was administered by monks who was sent from there. The last abbot in Øm, Jens Simensen, was at the abolition of the kloster given Rosmus parish and got the vicarage in Rosmus and Rugård and another farm in the parish. In 1545 Chr. III had established Rosmus parish into a birk (judicial), later named Rugård's birk, and Fr. II exchanged this in 1579 to Hans Axelsen Arenfeldt of Palsgård ( 1611); Hans Arenfeldt broke Rude village (16 farms) and built Rugård's main building. The farm was divided among some of his children, but was gathered again by the son stiftamtmand Mogens Arenfeldt (+ 1671) whose son kammerjunker Hans Arenfeldt in 1682 sold R. to his cousin etstsråd Jørgen Arenfeldt (+ 1717), who was known for his witch-hunts with water tests in Smededammen outside R., the rack and the fire. He sold R. by auction in 1707 to his son Axel Arenfeldt. Later owners: Benzon, Ingerslev, Schjøtt, Mourier-Petersen, in 1950: Christian Mourier-Petersen.

The main building is listed in klasse A. It is a two-storey brick-built house in red bricks, built in the 1580s by Hans Axelsen Arenfeldt. On the east side of the house is a storey with loop holes. On the west side are two three-storey octagonal towers. On the east side of the house to the right of the gate have been found spindelen of a stair tower. Between the lake and the sea east of the house are still overgrown rests of wolf-traps.

The Witch-Hunter from Rugård:
The lord of the manor Rugård, Jørgen Arenfeldt, created an atmosphere of terror around himself and his estate. He saw evil magic everywhere, and in the 1680s he had his own private witch-hunts. The women, suspected of witchcraft, were exposed to the water-test, which Jørgen Arenfeldt liked the most to supervise. He stood in the middle of an admiring crowd, while the women were tied and thrown into the water (Smededammen in front of Rugård) by the executioner. If they survived the water test they were put on the fire. But the poor women were also tortured with the rack and with burning sulphur. His withchunts were first stopped when he had brought some women from Århus for his next bonfire. They were too well-respected for this treatment, and in 1686 he was judged to make amends at Viborg Thing and pay a large fine. So Jørgen Arenfeldt did not lead more witch-hunts, but strangely enough the mad witch-hunter from Rugård was later appointed with the fine title of etatsråd.

Names in the Middle Ages:
Rosmus (*1183 Røzmose, 1560 Rosmus); Ørup (* 1183 Øgethorp); Attrup (*1183 Attethorp); Balle, (Vester Balle, 1469 Balligh); Enegårde (*1183 Ening, Eninge, 1534 Jæningard ); Rugård
(ab. 1300 Ruthæskogh, 1467 Rwdegard; Ridegard).

In the parish was the village Rude (Rove) with 16 farms which Hans Axelsen Arenfeldt abolished in 1579 together with the vicarage "Rovegaard Lofthidt" when he established Rugård.

Listed prehistorics: One round dolmen without cover stone at Balle, one long dolmen with two chambers without cover stones in Sønderskov, 3 dolmen chambers without cover stones and 15 hills, of which one in a group of 5 hills in Sønderskov is rather large; furthermore 3 røser (stone graves).
Demolished or destroyed: 3 round dolmens, 5 long dolmens, 17 dolmens or stone chambers, 34 hills and one stone ship.

Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963

photo Rosmus/Rugård 2003-2007: grethe bachmann

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rud church / Rud kirke, Galten herred, Randers amt.

Rud Church, ab. 10 km south of Randers
Rud sogn, Galten herred, Randers amt.

The small Romanesque church in Rud close to the old cross road between Århus and Randers has been here for almost a thousand years, built in the 1100s. The Romanesque section is in granite ashlars; both doors are preserved, the north door is bricked-up, they both have a carved thympanum, which has a cross on the south door, while the north door has a a winding snake. Three Romanesque windows are in use since 1951, one in the choir and two in the nave. At the gate of the church yard are four Romanesque window cover stones. Several re-buildings have taken place, i.e. in 1722 and 1877-78, where the wall was re-walled in small stones. The bell hangs in a hole in the choir gable. Inside is a beamed ceiling, which was re-newed in 1957.

Relief. Is it Midgårdsormen? ,the huge serpent in Norse mythology.

The lion-font. A lion with a human head.

The altar piece is Renaissance from ab. 1600 with two free pillars, the large field is trigonal with biblical texts; the altar piece was together with the Renaissance-front of the communion table restored in 1947. In the choir hangs a "nådestol" (God with the body of Christ) , the remains of a medieval altar piece, placed upon a plank-rest from a late Medieval monstrans-cupboard (found in the church in 1957). A Romanesque granite font with lion reliefs and carved male heads at the edge of the basin. The pewter baptismal bowl origins from Clausholm slot and has the name of (queen) Anna Sophie. (has been in the church since 1934). The pulpit is from the beginning of the 1600s ; it has double pillars and lion-heads upon the postament-fields and arcade fields with star patterns. At the south wall of the choir is a portrait stone from the end of the 1600s with a secondary inscription from the 1800s. At the church yard a Romanesque roof-shaped grave stone.

Cover stones. "Modern Art" on the church yard.

Rud Church, a typical little Romanesque village church from the 1100s.
Northeast of the church is Anna Sophies kilde, where Anna Sophie Reventlow let fetch water during her stay at Clausholm slot.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Rud kirke (* 1445 Rude sogn); Nielstrup (* 1445 Nielstrop); Bramstrup (*1465 Bramstrup); Hallendrup (* 1428 Hallinndrup); Drostrup Gårde (* 1507 Drostrup); Stobdrup Gårde (1579 Stubdrup); Alstrupgård (*1406 Alstrop gaard).
Listed prehistorics: Two hills, southeast in the parish; one rather large, it is one of the Stobdruphøje, but it has a cistern in the top.

Demolished or destroyed: 21 hills, which mainly were, partly in the southeast section of the parish, and partly around Alstrupgård. A sacrificial finding origins from Alstrupgård from late Bronze Age: two necklaces, a bracelet and 3 spiral rings. Clay-pot graves from early Roman period is known from Alstrupgård, Hallendrup and Nielstrup.

Alstrupgård belonged in 1406 to Essenbæk Kloster (by law). In 1631 Alstrupgård and the mill belonged to Dronningborg, but was laid out by the Crown to Hans Friis of Clausholm in 1661.

In the parish is mentioned the farms
Elgård ( 1688 Elgaarden, 1718 Elgaard); Sundhule ( 1688 Sundhuule, 1718 Sandhuul); Kirkegård (1609 Kirckiegardt); and Brændgård ( 1718 Brendgaard), the two last mentioned in Bramstrup.
Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963

photo Rud kirke November 2006: grethe bachmann

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Råsted church / Råsted kirke, Støvring herred,Randers amt.

Råsted church, ab. 5 km northwest of Randers
Råsted sogn, Støvring herred, Randers amt

The white-washed church has become famous in recent times for its rare late Romanesque frescoes. The Romanesque section, choir and nave are mostly built in limestone ashlars. The choir is completely in limestone with corner-lisener (Italiano: Lesena) and curved friezes; the corner liseners, curved friezes and pillar portal of the nave is also limestone, while the other walls are raw granite. Romanesque windows are preserved at the south side of the choir and the northside of the choir and nave; they are like the portal of Anglo-Norman type. The north portal is bricked-up, it is seen inside as a high niche framing a new window. In the late Middle ages was added a high porch possibly originally meant for two storeys. The tower is possibly a little younger than the porch; it has an original west-portal; it is built in monk bricks and opens in a round arch arcade to the nave. Inside is the Romanesque choir arch preserved with pretty profiled kragsten.

In 1936 were several frescoes from the late 1100s discovered, and they were restored in 1939-42. Upon the triumph wall is above a disappeared side altar Michael as dragon-killer, while a Maria-picture above the northern side alter is almost gone, above this a series of apostles and Christ in the middle; upon the walls of the choir are broad decorative meander patterns as a frame of the holy history - upon the north wall the visit of the three wise men, upon the altar wall the Slaughter of the Innocents and the Crucifixion, upon the west wall an indistinct picture of Christ in the Land of Dead. Under the choir arch the Fall of Man and the Fratricide.

Upon the limestone communion table was earlier a Renaissance altar piece (is now in Skibsted church) which in 1944 was replaced by a small late medieval crucifix from the National Museum. Baroque altar candelabres from the 1600s. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin, a baptismal bowl in silter-plated pewter with engraved year 1700. A simple pulpit from ab. 1700. The other inventory is newer, the bell from 1883, the two chandeliers from 1918. The church building was restored in 1938.

Råsted Church, a typical Danish church yard.

Peder Eskildsen of Kondrup is mentioned in 1319.

Jens Bugge pawned his and his mother's property in Buggesholm to Otto Spliet for 20 mark silver. In 1340 Thomas Jensen (Bugge?) and other heirs of Jens Bugge redeemed the property.

Mikkel Stake lived in 1455 in Råsted.

A sacred well, Pilgrimmenes kilde, at the country road in Råsted village still existed still in 1885, (dried out).

Råsted mølle , mentioned 1349, is possibly identical to Ringlevad mølle.

Names in the Middle Ages:

Råsted (* 1344 Rolstedt); Svejstrup * 1406 Sweystorp); Blegvadgård (* 1456 Blegwadt); Buggesholm (* 1340 Bugeholm); Hedegård (1579 Hiegaardtt).

Listed prehistorics: two hills, of which Bavnehøj south of the village is ratehr large.
Demolished or destroyed: 29 hills, among those the large Tinghøj south of Råsted and Galgehøj south of this.

photo Råsted kirke 2002: grethe bachmann