|road to the kloster|
|The kloster site and building to the left|
In an excavation were in 1920 found four baking ovens. The building is probably from the beginning of the 1400s. It is in red monk bricks upon a foundation of raw field-stones. In ab. 1800 stood only a long thatched house,which in 1870 was sold for demolishion to the peasants in the area, and at that point was the kloster-archive from the kloster-period destroyed. In order to protect the medieval room was built a small house, which in the beginning of the 20th century was replaced with the present uncovering, a large thatched roof, and at the same time and later was the building face walled.
When Iver Juel bought the kloster it was very decayed, the north wing had disappeared and was probably burnt down. At this site he let build with use of the demolished Trandum church a fine fruerstue (ladies' house) with a tower; the building existed no longer in 1800. In an excavation were digged out some high walls. The ground plan of the east wing is seen in the terrain as a raised area continuing down to the lake. This must have been the bank, which fenced in the abildgård (apple orchard). Iver Juel mentions the stable and a new house near the lake. The kloster was plundered three times, and already before he bought it Iver Juel let it in 1545 be surrounded by moats, which were made deeper in 1552. The connection to land was by a barge, until Kjeld Juel built a bridge. He also rebuilt the farm building, which still stood at the islet - and he probably also established the smitty, the mill and a sheep fold.
In 1807 burnt the east wing, in 1805 was the southern house demolished, and in 1834 the other buildings except the west wing, which stood until 1870. In 1849 built Jacob Boserup the present simple yellow-washed main building at New Stubbergård, which had its place in more fertile surroundings about 2 km northwest of the old kloster. At the old kloster and at New Stubbergård are kept some finely carved granite stone of medieval origin, they origin from the kloster and from Trandum church. In an excavation at the kloster-cemetery were found many skeletons, rests of rosaries and other objects.
|Hjerl Hede |
Hjerl Hede was in 1910 bought by and named from ex-minister of finance, H.P.Hjerl-Hansen. He had plans about planting. In 1931 the area was transferred to the Hjerl-foundation, founded in 1915, which in 1934 let the whole area with the beautiful land surrounding the lake Flyndersø be a nature conservation. In 1930 was here built Denmarks oldest peasant farm from Vinkel at Viborg, which was from before 1530, and this was the beginning of the Open Air Museum The Old Village. This holds several other fine old village houses (farms, mills, smitty, inn, school, barns stables etc.) from various places in the country, brought here and rebuilt here, also a reconstruction of a Romanesque church, an Iron Age house and a few Stone Age huts. There have been laid out high-ridged medieval fields etc. In the summer period is seen how life was in the old village and in the prehistoric houses. It is a very popular place for Danes and tourists from abroad in the summer period.
Listed prehistorics: Not less than 142 hills, and a 38 m long long-hill Døjs at Navtrup. Several hills are large: Salshøj in a group of 8 hills, Tophøj at Kokborg. South of Sevel a group of 10 hills, like Galgehøj, Haldhøj and Storehøj. At Gunderup is Troldhøj, at Herrup Tophøj and in Sevel plantation Råhøj. East of the lakes two large hills, Vinsøhøj at Hjelm heath, and at Mogenstrup near Skive Å-river valley, two large hills.
Destroyed or demolished: possibly a passage grave at Søndermølle, a find of two flint axes and a club might suggest this. In one of the Skårhøjene were found a battle axe, an arrow head, a bronze sword-blade etc., and under the hill were seen traces from a plough.
At Hellesø are several rich settlements from the Gudenåkulturen. At Herrup was examined a grave site with 24 stone-pile graves from early Stone Age. At Blakskærgårde was in a bog found two bronze-necklaces.
Sevel church (photo later)
The eastern and section of the choir and the nave are from the Romanesque period in granite ashlars at a profiled plinth. The church has a tower to the west and a porch to the south. Two Romanesque windows are kept in the choir. Both original doors are walled in. The church was after 1554 extended to the west with material from the demolished Trandum church and the tower in granite ashlars and monk bricks was added. The tower was heightened in 1574 and finished in 1577. The tower room was originally vaulted, but it has now a flat ceiling like the choir and the nave, to which it is connected in a large round arch.the porch is a brick-building from 1765. The church is partly white washed.
In the communion tabe, which was re-walled in 1902, is a reliquary. The panel is from ab. 1600. The middle field of the altar piece is from a late Gothic triptychon with carved figures from 1515, in a change in the Renaissance were added new side fields. The figures were restored in 1948. An oil paiting, which was in the altar piece in 1858, is now on the church wall. New brass candelabres. Romanesque granite font with leaf-decoration and arcades on the basin. A pulpit from 1605 with the coat of arms of Kjeld Juel and fru Christence Juel, the original decoration was restored in 1911. The sounding board was a later addition in Rococo-style. Pews in Renaissance-style, the upper two closed manor stools with the coat of arms of the family Juels. In the west end a gallery from ab. 1590 with paintings of the apostles from 1858. In the church hang a series pastorum and a model of the school ship "Danmark". In the tower a bell from 1876 and a carillon, which with a tower-clock was given by Andreas Gade in 1938. Several memorials in the church, like gravestones, portrait reliefs, rests of coat of arms, coffin plates,figures etc. The church is fenced in by a stone dike with a double portal to the south.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ringkøbing amt, 1965.
photo Stubberkloster & Flyndersø May 2009, Hjerl Hede 2005.