Thursday, June 02, 2011

Lindknud church / Lindknud kirke, Malt herred, Ribe amt.

Lindknud Church, Lindknud sogn, Malt herred, Ribe amt, ab. 20 km west of Kolding.
In the original part of the small church in Lindknud is choir and nave built in granite ashlars and raw field stones upon a karnis-profiled plinth. The choir and nave have a lead roof. The low western tower, which was taller from the start, is medieval like the porch in front of the original south door of the nave. Additions in tile.  The original north and east-window of the choir and the north door of the nave are walled-in. There is a beamed ceiling in choir and nave, and the tower room, which is connected to the nave in an arcade, was once vaulted, but has now a beamed ceiling. Fragments from vault-ribs are seen above the loft in the northwest corner. The choir arch is re-walled and has profiled kragbånd.  In the southwall of the choir is a niche (a hiding place.)


Upon the granite communion table, which probably is medieval, stands an altar piece from ab. 1625 with three later inserted paintings pasted upon older paintings, which were painted upon wood. The pretty Romanesque granite font has among others four sitting human figures. Baptismal basin in copper. Upon the wall of the nave a medieval crucifix. The pulpit from the 1600s has entrance through the wall of the choir arch. New pews in fir, probably copied from the old pews from the second half of the 1500s with parts from the old pews in the upper two gables. Brass candelabres, both with inscription:  Fru Mari Margarite from (pious fru Marie Margarite) / fordi H: Lucas bad derom (because H: Lucas asked her)/  miggav till Lindknud Kirke boer (gave me to Lindknud Church) / Gud hende glæde i Engle Ckoer: 1710 (God will thank her with angels choir) 1710. The late medieval bell without inscription hangs now in a bell frame of concrete upon the church yard north of the church. Three late medieval wooden figures are in the castle museum at Koldinghus.

Names from the Middle AGes and the 1600s.: Lindknud (1330-48 Lindeknut); Debel (o. 1525 Dybel); Hovborg (1451 Hoborg); Okslund (o. 1525 Oslwndt, 1578 Ovslund); Vittrup (1392 Wytdorpe), Asserbøl (1532 Asszerbølle marck); Hyldelund (1578 Høllelund, 1606 Hyldelund); Klelund (o. 1525 Kleynlwndt, 1606 Klelund); Gilbjerg (1580 Gilbierre). 

Asserbøl ,was a nobleman's farm, which belonged to Jens Juel of Hesselmed (+ 1552 or 53), whose widow Vibeke Lunge lived here in 1580. In 1607 it was owned by the son Vincents Juel's widow Elsebe Svave of Gjorslev (+ 1612) and was still called a  farm, but in 1609 peasants lived here. Later it belonged to Manderup Abildgaard.

Hyldelund was established as a nobleman's farm by Erik Juel of Hundsbæk (+ 1657). From his estate it was laid out to Manderup Due of Krastrup (+ 1660) and came to his son Jørgen Skeel Due of Sønderskov. Until 1680 it was free of taxes, but in 1687 the king released the left taxes from 1680 and resolved that it was now considered a peasant's farm.

In a digging by an old dike in Okslund were in 1867 found 127 coins, 16 Danish from Chr. IV (12) and Fr. III (4), the rest were from Germany and Netherland, the earliest from 1655.

In a ploughing on a field in Klelund were in 1899 found a clay pot with 33 speciedalere from Germany and Netherland, the earliest from 1674.

In or by Klelund were earlier the farms Kalebøllegård (1688 Calebøllegrd.) and Palsbjerg (1688 Palsbierre).

Listed prehistorics  A round dolmen, 5 long dolmens and 31 hills. There are here a big number of stone burials, which together with similar memorials in Bække and Vorbasse form a large settlement. The round dolmen Tinghøj lies in Klelund plantation; its chamber has a cover stone. Not far from here is a large long dolmen, 74 m long with a chamber with cover stone and 78 edge stones. Other long dolmens lie at Okslund, Gilbjerg and Vittrup. A few of the hills are large, one west of  Hyldelund and Præsthøj south of Lindknud, where once was a large group of hills.

Destroyed or demolished: 4 long dolmens and 165 hills, most were single burials from Stone Age. 

Kilde: Trap Danmark, Ribe amt, 1965.

No comments: