|Taulov church, Google earth.|
The large whitewashed church in Taulov has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south . At the east side of the choir is a strange, almost circular burial chapel from 1581. The Romanesque building is built in granite ashlars upon a double plinth, incomplete attic above a beveled edge. The southdoor, which is in use, has two columns, one octagonal with cubic caspitals and bases. Upon one corbel is a primitive lion-relief and upon the base of the opposite column is a figure and a male head . The north door is bricked-up. In the north wall of the nave is a round-arched window, bricked up in the wall run - and in the Koldinghus Museum is a window lintel with a warrior, carrying a shield and a sword. An ashlar with a male head is inserted in a stone bench in the porch. The choir and nave have flat-plastered ceilings, the choir has a simple stuccato decoration. In the late Gothic period the heavy tower was built, which crossvaulted bottom room opens towards the nave in a round tower arch. It has on the north side a bricked-up flatcurved opening from free stairs to the middle storey. The upper section with stepped gables, east-west, is very re-bricked (like in 1863 and 1868) when the other part of the building got its cornices, and in 1950. The porch is also a late Gothic addition in yellow monk bricks. The stepped gable has a glare decoration with six round-arched high-glares flanked by circular glares and above some beveled brick-shifts. The porch has tiled roofs like the choir, nave and tower. In 1581 jomfru Berete Rosenkramtz let the strange, almost circular burial chapel build east of the choir. It is built in red monk bricks upon a beveled edge plinth in granite ashlars and has a high cone roof with lead thatching. The room is inside with a cross vault. Upon the east side are two square stones with Berete Rosenkrantz' paternal and maternal coat of arms. The chapel is now furnished as a priest room (source 1964), but earlier while it was a burial chapel, it was divided from the choir by a wrought iron gate from 1758.
|Taulov church, Google earth.|
The communion table is covered in a marble-painted panel from ab. 1590. The altarpiece is a carved work in bruskbarok (cartilage Baroque) from 1683, now completely cleansed. In a niche in the main field is inserted a plaster copy of Thorvaldsen's Christ-figure. Heavy baluster-shaped candelabres, given 1636 by Hans Jensen in Holum. Large, well-carved choir-arch crucifix from the beginning of the 1500s. A Romanesque granite font with arcade-decorations upon the basin. Very worn south German dish, ab, 1575. A pulpit from the same time and by the same craftsman as the altarpiece with Evangelist figures after Thorvaldsen. It was repaired 1889. A fourmaster ship from present time "Queen Margaret". Bell 1876 P. Meilstrup. The older bell was by Clavs v. Dam 1643.
Epitaph for F.C. Bredahl, Søholm, put up 1729. Gravestone 1581 for Sidsel Rosenkrantz ( +1557),and jomfru Berete Rosenkrantz, a figure stone with widow and jomfru. A stone for the first Lutheranian priest in the parish, Bertil Iversen was in 1914 given to the Thaulow Museum at Norsk Folkemuseum in Oslo.
Søholm belonged to Ribe bishopric, but came during the reformation to the Crown, in 1547 it was endowed to Else Thott, widow after Claus Krummedige. After her death in 1550 S. was laid under Koldinghus and was inhabited before 1577 by herredsfoged Claus Hønborg, whose wife 1588 who was instructed to keep order in the king's chamber and see to that he got the supplies he was used to. In 1662 the farm was desolate, in 1766 the Crown sold S. to Iver Hansen.
Hønborg (1369 Hønæborigh,1429 Hønburgh) was earlier a royal castle. Known vasals were: Peder Iversen Lykke 1369; Gotschalck? Skarpenberg 1377; hr Folmer Mortensen (Gyrstinge) 1445; Peder Brockenhuus 1487; hr. Claus Krummedige 1493; hr Thomas Nielsen (Lange) m. to the previous' widow, 1504 and 1520, his stepson hr Erik Krummedige (+ 1541) and his widow Sidsel Rosenkrantz (+ 1557), whereafter the estate was withdrawn and laid under Koldinghus vasalry. It was from Hønborg Christian II - after having received the aristocracy's resignation Letter - let himself ferry to Middeelfart several times. The castle was destroyed by the peasant during the grevefejden (civil war) and again during the Thirty Year's War by Wallenstein's troups.
|Skærbæk Marina and Skærbækværket(background)|
In 1629 Chr IV had plans about moving to Kolding town and castle.
Northwest of Skærbæk village was a sacred spring Korskilde or Rands kilde.
At Gudsø were battles in 1849 when the Danes after an energetic fight against a superior enemy withdrew to Fredericia.
At Taulov station was in 1946 raised a memorial for 3 freedom fighters: E. Månsson, K.G.Kolding and H. Jacobsen, executed by the Germans in 1945. In Skærbæk was in 1955 raised a memorial for 3 drowned fishermen.
The old timbered vicarage in Taulov from 1840 was broken down in 1963, the stable- building was rebuilt at the Open Air Museum, Sorgenfri. (Zealand)
Towards Lillebælt upon a meadowland lies between high banks the significant medieval Hakenør Voldsted (Hønborg slot), an almost square castle bank with round corners and steep banks. The castle bank was surrounded by a ring moat with an outer dam. Both sections are very leveled, probably with earth from the bank, which sides seem cut off. The top surface was cultivated even in the 20th century. Upon the castle bank are brick pieces, also upon the landtongue stretching out towards the bank are brick pieces. Here was probably a building in addition to the castle itself. Upon the Koldinghus Museum and the National Museum are kept several pieces findings from the castle bank.
At Hønborg castle bank were in 1858-1910 found 81 spread coins, earliest from Erik Klipping; most of the coins from Erik of Pommern's time.
|Taulov, landscape, Google earth.|
Listed prehistorics: four hills, two in Tårup skov, one hill west of Tårup ir rather big but pre-digged.
Demolhsed or Destroyed: 67 hills,of which most in the southern half of the parish, In 1638 is mentioned a stone-encircled giant grave in Børup skov.
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Taulov (1330 Taflygh, 1396 Tafloghe); Skærbæk (1436 Skerbek); Tårup (1479 Torduph, 1532 Tordop); Børup (1502 Børup); Studsdal (1664 Studtzdall); Oddersted (1578 Odersted); Børup Sande (1590 Børup Sand); Gudsø (1524 Gutzwiig); Søholm (1524 Sioholm).
Source: Trap Danmark, Vejle amt, 1964.
photo: Google earth.