Blenstrup Church, ab. 22 km south of Aalborg.
Blenstrup sogn, Hellum herred, Aalborg amt.
The church has a Romanesque choir and nave and a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars and both doors are preserved,the north door is in use, the south door is walled-in and has a thympanum-field, stretching over two ashlars. From original windows is only one left, bricked-up in the north side of the choir. In nave and choir were built cross vaults in the late Gothic period and the tower was added in re-used granite ashlars and yellow monk bricks. Its bottom room with a cross vault opens to the nave in a pointed arch. The upper section is rather face-walled . The porch is also late Gothic with two cross vaults, but else without details.
|Lindenborg ådal (river valley)|
(+ 1595) with portrait figures. A coffin plate for Jørgen Seefeld (+ 1662), remade into a door mounting is now in the National Museum. In the church the burials of rigsmarsk Jørgen Urne,
(+1642) and friherreinde Sophie Amalie Lindenov, (+ 1688).
|The burial place was listed by the National Museum in 1955, and a memorial stone was raised at Blenstrup church for the various owners of Lindenborg.|
Lindenborg Gods was originally named Næs or Næsholm. In 1367 it belonged to Niels Kirt who in 1376 conveyed it to his sons Jakob and Palle Kirt. Jakob Kirt became sole owner and sold in 1416 Næsholm to bishop Lave in Viborg. Stig Vesteni (1480), Mikkel Krabbe (1499,1503), and Mogens Thomesen Kaas (Mur-K.) (1504,1508), who all were written to N. must have been vasals for the bishopric. In 1534 the manor was burnt down by Skipper Klement. At the reformation it came to the Crown, and Iver Friis of Haraldskær (+ 1579) achieved it in 1544 as a pawn . In 1561 Holger Tønnesen Viffert got the manor with estate (19 farms, 2 mills etc) in an exchange with the crown. He died unmarried in 1564, and N. came to his brother rigsråd Corfitz Viffert (+ 1592). After the widow Anne Gyldenstierne's death in 1595 the daughter Christence Viffert inherited N., and with her it came to statholder Breide Rantzau (+ 1618). Various owners, (Rantzau, Urne, Seefeld , Daa). Claus Daa changed Næsholm's name to Dåsborg in 1673. In 1681 it was made a barony with the name Lindenborg, and Chr V's son Chr. Gyldenløve became the heir. After him Danneskiold-Samsøe, Moltke, Schimmelman etc. The main building is listed in class A.
see also on my blog: Church and Manor a detailed article about Lindenborg from May 2010 - and the mentioning of a new book about Sophia Amalia Lindenov.
Lindenborg is situated upon a large castle island surrounded by moats. Inside the castle yard is an octagonal stair tower with spire and a magnificent inscription's tablet with the coat of arms of the building master (Corfits Viffert) and the date 1583.The garden side is dominated by two round corner towers with copper roofs,and in the middle of the south facade are two strange bay towers on each side of the garden entrance. The two low side wings were added in 1615. the north wing is marked by later rebuild.
Lindenborg was earlier named Næs or Næsholm (* 1360 Neess, 1367 Næsholm, 1499 Nees). A Næs parish ( * 1364 Ness sogenn, * 1422 Nessogenn) still existed in the 1400s besides Blenstrup parish. They are sometimes mentioned in the same document.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Blenstrup (* 1348 Blendstrup, 1390 Blynstorp); Dollerup ( * 1404 Dolldrup, Dollerup, 1462 Doldrup); Horsens ( * 1360 Horsnis, 1477 Horsnes); Askildrup (* 1498 Askendrop, 1462 Askeldrup); Lindenborg (1688 Lindensborig).
Listed prehistorics: 8 hills, lather large are the high-placed Korshøj at Lindenborg's land, to the south Stridsbjerg høj and Galgebakken upon the hillside south of Blenstrup.
Demolished or destroyed: A dolmen (southwest of Askildrup) and 20 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt. 1961
photo Lindenborg 2003,2008 : grethe bachmann