The whitewashed church in Nebsager has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch to the south from 1869. The Romanesque building: the choir and nave, is built in travertine, the choir with no visible plinth, the nave with a not very prominent bevelled plinth . From original details is only trace of the rounded arched north door outside. In the High Gothic period ab 1400s, a cross vault was inserted in the choir with profiled ribs, and later, ab. 1450-75, the nave had three bays cross vaults upon protruding wall pillars. The bottom room with cross vault of the late Gothic tower opens towards the nave in a round arch, and the entrance to the middle storey runs straight in the north wall with an entrance through a flatcurved door. The upper section of the tower is widely re-walled 1762 and 1767 (iron digits), and the pyramidspire is probably from this period with the year 1762 in the weather wing. The porch was built in 1869 instead of an earlier porch. The building was restored in 1946, in the south side with new flatcurved windows with antique glass and with four supporting pillars on the north
New altarpiece 1999 painting by Sven Havsteen-Mikkelsen
(pdf) Nebsager kirke
Bricked communion table with panelwork 1946. The altarpiece is from 1893 with copy of a Carl Bloch-painting in a neo Gothic frame. Low, heavy Baroque candelabres ab. 1650. A late Gothic choir arch crucifix is in "Den gamle By" in Århus. A Romanesque granite font in Randers-type with lions in a very flat relief and a base-shaped foot with corner leaves. A south German dish, ab. 1575. An out-sawed board above the font (=fontehimmel) from 1700s. A Renaissance pulpit 1619 with the Evangelists in the corners and painted fields with very naive,but funny Evangelist-symbols from 1745, it was restored in 1945. Bell from 1865, Stallknecht, Horsens. 3 epitaphs from the 1600s and a peasant-gravestone from 1760
Skerrildgård had probably the same owner as Tirsbæk from the beginning of the 1500s; in 1638 it belonged to Henrik Bille of Tirsbæk (+ 1655), then his son Knud Bille (+ 1684) and his son Henrik Bille (+ 1701). The heirs of the last mentioned deeded in 1703 S. to captain Henrik Brahe of Hvedholm, who in 1704 deeded it to Laurids Christensen Vesterhof of Kongstedlund. Johannes Lindberg sold the farm in 1707 to Peder Christensen Thonboe, who in 1798 got the deed from Laur. Vesterhof and in 1712 sold S. to justitsråd Søren Hofman (ennobled 1749; + 1771), who in 1744 deeded it to his son, the author konferensråd and amtmand Hans de Hofman (+ 1793), who in 1761 deeded S. to kancelliråd Jørgen Hvas de Lindenpalm of Tirsbæk.
Later owners: Hans Helmuth von Lüttichau; Jens Christoffer Bolvig; C.H. v. Wildenrath; Hans Buhl; Peter v. Paulsen; Marcus Nic. Monrad; True Sandberg; John Thornton jun. ; Joh. Heinrich Hoffmann ; Andreas Ludvig Bernth Købke; Hans Jacob Lindahl; Søren Therkelsen; Carl August Ruge; Hans Sørensen Tingleff. Owner in 1964 his widow fru K Tingleff.
The main building is listed in class B. Built ab. 1766. In the garden lies a castle bank , a low rectangular bank (ab. 18 x 20 m),surrounded by moats .
The væbner Jep Ræv in Nebsagerskov is mentioned in 1472 and 1477.
In the parish are mentioned some disappeared farms: Hønkær(1664 Høn Kier); Bjergsgård (1664 Bierisgaard); Hårup (1664 Haarup); and in Nebsager Hovgård (1683 Houffgaarden) and south of Nebsager Mølsted (1664 Mølsted).
There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 4 hills, of which two, Møgelhøj and Burhøj, were situated at Hornsyld.
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Nebsager (1401 Niphags sogen, 1458 Nefsager); Hornsyld (1401 Hornsult, 1567 Huornsild); Hyllerød (1502 Høllervdh); Kavben (1664 Kaubechen, 1770s Kaubeen ); Nebsagerskov (1462 Næfsagerskogh); Sindkær (1683 Sind Kier Fald); Skerrildgård (1509 Skærildgardh, Skærilgardh).