Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Krenkerup Manor and Radsted church / Radsted kirke, Musse herred, Maribo amt.
Deer farm by Krenkerup
Only 4 km southeast of the town Sakskøbing you'll find the pretty manor Krenkerup with the fresh yellow-washed walls. The three-winged plan is placed upon an embankment surrounded by water on all four sides. Krenkerup was first mentioned in 1330 where it was a main farm in a village by the same name. Ridder Mogens Gøye was the owner of Krenkerup in 1381, and his family owned it until 1594.
Krenkerup has gone through several rebuildings, additions and restorations and today it appears as a product of the transitional period between Gothic and Renaissance. The owner in 1700 was general Chr. Ditlev Reventlow who established the entailed estate Krenkerup - but when his great granddaughter Juliane Frederikke married the nobleman from Hannover Carl August Hardenberg, their son changed the entailed estate Krenkerup into the count's estate Hardenberg-Reventlow in 1817, and the manor changed name to Hardenberg.
The manor Hardenberg's main building was modernised in the 1800s. In 1938 in connection to a restoration and a reversal to the original buildings from the 1500s Krenkerup got its old name back. The estate Krenkerup is still owned by the Reventlow-family in the name Reventlow-Grinling.
The surrounding manor landscape with extensive stretches of meadow land and old avenues with forests, red deer and flocks of sheep is a wonderful example of Danish nature.
Radsted church was built ab. 1250 as a Romanesque village church and extended with a Gothic longhouse in the 1300s. The tower is from ab. 1450 and in the Renaissance period the church was rebuilt with porch, burial vault and increase of tower in 1616-1621. The sacristi is from 1783. The church underwent a thorough restoration in 1868-70, and the tower spire was reconstructed after lightning in 1898.
The pulpit and the altar piece are from the beginning of the 1600s. The altar piece is equipped with wonderful Renaissance masks, so-called faun heads. The original middle part has been changed into a trivial painting.
photo 2004/2007: grethe bachmann