Sunday, April 03, 2011
Sønderskov, South Jutland
Sønderskov, ca. 10 km southwest of Vejen
Folding sogn, Malt herred, Ribe amt.
Sønderskov belonged in 1448 to an unfree mand, Jakob Nielsen, who had inherited it after his wife Botilde's father Niels Lagesen (Rudbek) and his sons Peder and Johannes Nielsen, and who this year sold S. and Nielsby hovedgårde (main farm) to Ribe chapter, which earlier had them conveyed by Peder Nielsen. S. belonged in 1483 and 1505 to Henrik Steen of Plovstrup, a grandchild of Niels Lagesen, and his son Niels Steen is also mentioned of S., which with his sister Anne came to Thomas Galskyt of Bodum Bisgård, who owned S. in 1532. In 1548 his son Peder Galskyt (+ 1554) of S. is mentioned, in 1550 his brother Otto Galskyt (+ unmarried 1575) and 1572 Peder Galskyt's son Albert G. (+ childless 1593), whose mother fru Bege Clausdatter (Emmiksen + 1613), in 1600 with confirmation from her son-in-law Christoffer Rosenkrantz of Høgsbro (decapitated in 1610 ) and her daughter Johanne Galskyt sold it to Børge Rosenkrantz of Ørup. His son Palle Rosenkrantz is written of S. in 1611, but after his father's death in 1614 it was sold to Thomas Juel of Kollerup and Estrup (+ childless 1647), whose widow Maren Bølle died in 1648, whereafter S. in 1649 came to Thomas Juel's sister's son Manderup Due of Halkær (+ 1660). His son Jørgen Skeel Due (+ 1701) inherited S., which his sons Jørgen Chrf. Due and Albert Skeel Due (+ o. 1727) owned together until 1718, where Albert convyed his part to his brother, who pawned it in 1720 and later sold it to Hans Bachmann of Estrup ( + 1745).
In 1962 the owner was fru D. Karstens.
Today is Sønderskov a culture-historical district-musum of Vejen municipality.
The main building is listed in class A. It is the only preserved manor building in Ribe amt from the Renaissance period. It was built byThomas Juel in 1620 upon a rectangular castle bank with broad water-filled moats.
The church in Folding is a replacement of a medieval church. The new church is in red bricks with Romanesque details and built upon a granite plinth. It has a choir and nave with round-arched friezes and corner-pilastres. Exit to the west through a portal with pillars and a thympanum in lime stone, in the west end a front hall, above this a gallery. The altar piece is from 1634, given by Thomas Juel of Sønderskov; it comes from the old church; the silver chalice is from 1793; the pulpit is almost contemporary to the altar piece; the Romanesque granite font and the bell with a minuskel-inscription are from 1512. In the front hall a Romanesque gravestone with a male portrait-figure. A manor-gallery from the old church is now at Koldinghus castle-museum. The church yard is surrounded by granite boulder-dikes, south of the church is a grave hill, in which Samuel Nicolaus Claudius of Sønderskov established a barrel-vaulted burial in 1756. The old church had apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period, and the main part was built in small uncarved, yellow field-stones. A later added porch in bricks to the south. The church had possibly a western tower, which was demolished earlier.
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s: Folding (1236 Fuldærn); Nørbølling (1448 Norrebøling, 1449 Nørbølingh); Foldingbro (1505 Folingebroo); Sønderskov ( 1448 Synnerscogh); Stengård (1606 Stiengaard).
Listed prehistorics: 22 hills, of which two are big: the 6 m high Kirkehøj, placed on top of the hill, where the church is built, and a hill at Skovlyst.
Demolished or destroyed: A dolmen-chamber and 66 hills, of which most were placed in the northern part of the parish, on the fields of Nørbølling.
At Sønderskov Mølle (Mill) was found a petroglyph-stone wuith a wheel.cross.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ribe amt 1965.