Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Vinding church / Vinding kirke, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.
Vinding church, ab. 12 km south of Silkeborg
Vinding sogn, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.
The church without a tower has a Romanesque choir and nave with a porch to the south from the late 1700s. The Romanesque building is mainly built in iron hard pan, and the choir and the north side of the nave has kept an outside decoration of blind arcades in to storeys, in the top with arch friezes . The round arched south door is in use, while the north door is only traceable. A round arched window is bricked up as a niche in the north wall of the choir. Inside is the round choir arch with profiled kragsten, and the nave has a beamed ceiling. In late Gothic period ab. 1475 was built a cross vault in the choir and the western gable was partly re-walled. In present time, probably in the late 1700s, was the south side of the nave re-walled or face-walled, and a very simple porch was built. From this time is probably also the nave's halftimbered roof gable to the east. The choir vault was in the building period decorated with light, very elegant frescoe-ornaments with lilies and trefoils.
The altar piece stands above a simple, in present time cleansed Renaissance communion table-front, it is a joinery from ab. 1600 with modern paintings from 1962 by Ingolf Røjbæk, and an untraditional decoration in powerful colours. The earlier painting is from 1700s, and upon the backside is "Painted by Schaumann in Horsens 1840". Altar chalice given 1742 by Chr. IV. Brass candelabres from the 1700s, and a couple small table candlesticks from the same time. A Romanesque granite font with lions of Galten-type, partly walled-in the choir arch. A small south German bowl ab. 1550-75. A good late Gothic choir arch crucifix from the beginning of the 1500s. A simple pulpit ab. 1700. A young Gothic bell from ab. 1300 with majuskel-inscription "Magister Svene me fecit" hangs in a complicated bell-tower at the western gable. Inside in the western gable is a Romanesque granite grave stone of Århus-type with cross,winding-ornaments and angels and an indistinct majuskel-inscription. Below the pulpit a piece of another Romanesque grave stone.
A fine church dike. This dike has not been spoiled by removing the plants like they do at many other churches. Actually it is against the law to destroy the old church dikes.
Fuglsang belonged during some years to dr. Stanley, who was a son of the famous explorer ; he sold it in 1918 to Vilhelm Jørgensen of Løndal; but it is now sold and outparcelled.
Listed prehistorics: two longhills and 24 hills. An unusually pretty high-placed group is Vinding Ottehøje of which are only kept 6, 3 of these are very large. A large hill is also Bondehøj northwest of Vinding. In Overskov under Løndal is the group Marmildshøje, 11 lesser, but well-kept hills. The two longhills Givehøjene, both 47 m long, are situated close together at the western border of the parish.
Demolished or destroyed: 53 hills. In the base of Storehøj at Fuglsang was found a petroglyph stone with the picture of a ship. West of Lykkensbro at Vinding were found graves from early Roman Iron Age.
Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.