The small church in Bryrup has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic western extension and a porch to the south from the middle of the 1500s. The Romanesque building is mainly built in travertine upon a granite ashlar plinth. From original details are traces of one bricked-up round arch window in the north side of the nave. In the late Gothic period the nave was extended to the west, and the extension in monk bricks is connected to the nave in a broad round arch, and cross vaults were built in the whole building, cross vaults in the choir and in the western extension and two bays octagonal vaults in the nave. The choir arch was on that occassion extended and pointed. In the east gable of the choir are two heavy supporting pillars, and in the western extension's stepped gable is a cross shaped glare. Late - probably in the middle of the 1500s - the porch was built and the door of the nave was extended and was given a flat round arch.
The front of the communion table is Renaissance, from ab. 1625 with portal fields. The altarpiece is a joinery from the middle of the 1800s in a tenuous, rural, late Classicism with use of some sections from a Renaissance altarpiece. The simple painting is by Alexandersen in Horsens. An older painting, the Crucifixion, hangs in the church. Late Gothic gently profiled candelabres from ab. 1550. A Romanersque granite font in Horsens-type with lions upon the basin and a smooth foot. The pulpit is a very simple joinery, probably from the late 1500s. In one of the fields is uncovered an Evangelist picture from the 1700s. Typical pews from the middle of the 1800s. The same joiner made the series pastorum from 1841 with symbolic details. A newer threemaster church ship. A memorial for soldiers killed in 1864. The church belonged in the Middle Ages to Voer kloster.
Hr. Axel Lagesen (Brock) had in 1484 a part of Bryrupgård. The later B. was 1889-1908 poorhouse and was later outparcelled.
Lystruphus might be the rest of a village Lystrup, possibly mentioned in 1587. The farm Slorup might be a witness of a disappeared village the by the same name.
Listed prehistorics: 23 hills, of which several are large: Bredhøj and the somewhat outdigged Harbohøj at Kolpengård, Vradshøj at Løve, 3 Klovenhøje north of Løve, Tavlhøj at Lykkensspil and a large well-preserved hill north of Velling.
Demolished or destroyed: 105 hills, many were singlegrave hills from Stone Age.
At Kolpengård was a sacrifice-find from Bronze Age with 4 arrowheads, a dagger, 3 celter (axes) etc. In a hill in Kongsø plantation was found a silver treasure, which probably was buried ab. 1040 A.C. The treasure contained a rosette-shaped silver brooch, some silver pieces and 666 coins, mainly German, English and Danish.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Bryrup (1416 Brythorp); Velling, (1400s Wællyng) ; Løve (1440 Løffue); Sejt (1505 Seyd, Seyed marck, 1573 Seiet); Kolpengård (1440 Kolben).
Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.