|foto: stig bachmann nielsen, naturplan.dk|
The church is completely changed after a restoration in 1861. It was originally a church with Romanesque choir and nave with a late Romanesque western extension. In the restoration the choir was rebuilt and had a new vault, the longwalls of the nave were enheightened with a bricked cornice, windows were inserted and a high porch and a small narrow tower were built in red bricks. The Romanesque nave and the western extension are built in granite ashlars on a bevel plinth, the western gable of the nave in monk bricks and field stone is visible at the attic. To the north is the rectangular door and an original window kept as glares outside and inside. To the south are traces after two large round arched windows. The south door was destroyed in the built of the porch, and a tympanum from this has disappeared. The original choir arch is in granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth and with profiled kragbånd. A flatcurved door, now bricked-up, in the north wall of the western extension shows that above the western extension was once a tower. In the choir vault copies of the frescoes of the district.
Altarpiece in Renaissance, with a canopy cornice, from ab. 1600, with three paintings upon canvas. Renaissance-decorated in 1909. Altar chalice, given in 1763 by farmer Johan Georg Wacker and wife, Anna Pedersdatter Hougaard, residing in Skjoldelev, made by Niels Christensen Brasch, Mariager. Renaissance altar candelabres. Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin and a small decoration. Brass baptismal dish 1887, stamped A. Wilson, Århus. A baptismal jar in pewter ab. 1850, not in use. A pulpit in rural late Renaissance, with female hermes upon the corners and with a contemporary sounding board, from 1650. Restored 1898, decorated 1909. Earlier was an entrance through the triumph wall. New pews. A series pastorum from 1925. Chandeliers from 1897; west gallery and organ given in 1898. A bell from 1898 cast by S. Frichs, Århus. The previous bell from 1864 by Stallknecht. In the north wall of the choir a large, worn-out gravestone from ab. 1630. Another 1600s stone with relief of a soap bubble blowing putto, inserted in the east wall of the porch.
Lyngballegård was owned by the chapter in Århus, but in 1584 the Crown exchanged it to Hans Rostrup of Sjelleskovgård, who lived still in 1611. In 1613 it belonged to Laurids Friis (of Vadskærgård)( + 1619), whose widow Bodil Kruse probably sold it to Laurids Ebbesen (Udsen), who 1625 gave Otte Kruse a deed in Ristrup, L. and Perstrup, but who in 1627 pawned Ristrup and L. etc. to Christoffer Gersdorff and in 1632 conveyed both farms to grev Valdemar Christian; he endowed L. to the noble jomfru Alhed Pol (is mentioned in 1637 and 1641), and exchanged in 1646 both farms to the Crown, who in 1650 exchanged them to hofjægermester Caspar Christoffer Gersdorff (+ 1658), who in 1653 sold L. to hr. Oluf Parsberg of Jernit. In 1667 it was inhabited by løjtnant Mourids Ernst von Rønne. It was one of the farms from which Mogens Friis established the grevskabet Frijsenborg in 1672. After the grevskab was abandoned L.was sold in 1923 to løjtnant Troels Ravn, who in 1926 sold it to his brother-in-law J. Bech-Jensen (+ 1952), whose 4 children owned it in 1963.
The farm Hummelure was by Anna Stigsdatter (Stygge ?) conveyed in 1531 to hr. Mogens Gøye.
Skjoldelevgård, from ab. 1875, was in 1946 owned by A. Nielsen.
In Skjoldelev was a church mentioned in 1524, and "Skioldeløsse Sogenn" in Sabro is mentioned in 1531. Shortly after the church was probably demolished and the parish was added to Lading, which together with Sabro and Fårup parish did form a one pastorat, whose priest resided in Skjoldelev vicarage, which was used until 1910. In an excavation was the site of the church in 1926 located southwest of the earlier vicarage and north of the kirkeledshus (church barn). There is nothing to see in the terrain from the demolished church.
At the driving entrance of Lyngballegård stand two and on the road from Sæding to Lading Hede one vildtbanesten with inscription and the year 1756. (vildtbanesten were stones used as border marks in the king's hunt)
There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were two hills, the large Skjoldhøj and a smaller hill, both at Skjoldelev.
Names in the Middle Ages: Lading (1301 Ladhinghmark, 1317 Ladhingh); Fajstrup (1327 Fadistorp, 1426 Faddistorp); Skjoldelev (1386 Skwldeløf, 1485 Skioldhersleff); Hummelure (1453 Hommelum, 1485 Homelwor); Lyngballegård (1323 Lywngbalugh).