|Harre church, ab. 18 km northwest of Skive.|
Harre parish, Harre herred, Viborg amt.
Harre church has a Romanesque nave and choir and two new additions: a tower to the west and a porch to the north. The Romanesque section is in granite ashlars upon a bevelled plinth. An original window upon the north side is bricked. The north door is remade and bricked-up in present time. The southside was rebuilt in 1886 and the south door has ddisappeared. The choir arch with profiled kragsten is possibly rebuilt during a restoration of the inside in 1888. Choir and nave have a beamed ceiling. The tower is in bricks with four pointed gables and a slate roofed spire in the middle. It was built in 1869 instead of a Gothic tower. The tower room functions as a front hall, and the earlier porch - a brick building from the 1800s - is changed in 1931 into a mortuary. The church, which was latest restored in 1951-52, stands in blank wall and is partly roofed with lead.
Communion table panel with paintings from 1617. Altarpiece in Renaissance with biblical painting, repaired 1952. Romanesque granite font in West Jutland (Thybo) type. A baptismal dish in Nürnberg-type from ab. 1550. Pulpit in Renaissance-style from 1621 with decorations from 1715, repaired 1952. New pews. Upon the north wall of the nave is a crucifix-group in Baroque. An organ is placed upon a gallery above the front hall. The bell was cast in 1447 by mester Petrus, citizen in Randers. A rapier, which hangs in the front hall, probably origins from an officer's funeral. A medieval gravestone with a cross lies under the door of the mortuary.
News from Harre church. The church got a model of a Viking ship and their own coat of arms of the district in 2011. Look at their website (Harre kirke -Harrevigegnen) with many information-links (and photos).
Southwest of Harre kirke in a hilly terrain lies, close to Harre vig, the ruin of Frue Kirke (Our Lady) an almost 21 m long Romanesque building, consisting of choir and nave. The kept foundations were examined in 1929. The church was mostly built in granite, but there were some bricks. In the choir were rests of a monk brick floor. A sunken road at the ruin is called Kapeldalen (the Chapel valley) and the hills around it called Kapelbakkerne.
In Harre vig was the first oyster bank discovered in 1851.
Lysen havn at Lysen odde was in the 1600s and 1700s a very used disembarkation-place. Skive town complained about it.
Listed prehistorics: 15 hills, of which two lie in three groups between Harre and Dalstrup; 4 are very large, the same goes for Lynghøj west of Harre. At Harre vig are two oval earth banks (listed), they were probably boat sheds for Viking ships.
Demolished or destroyed: 73 hills, they mainly formed a broad stripe through the middle section of the parish.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Harre (1386 Harre, 1488 Hare); Sønderup (ab. 1340 Sintorp, 1610 Offuer-, Neder Søndrup); Dalstrup (1386 Dalstorp); Harregård (1524 Harregardt); Østergård (1610 Østergardt).
photo: borrowed from Google earth 2013, gb