The pretty little church in Sæby lies upon a hillside east of Glyngøre and with a view to Grynderup sø (the new lake). It has a Romanesque choir and nave and a new porch to the south. The original building-sections are in granite ashlars upon a bevel plinth. Both doors are preserved, the north door is bricked-up. Several Romanesque windows were re-opened in a restoration 1951-52. The finely proportioned choir-arch has profiled kragsten. The inside of the church has a flat, beamed ceiling. The porch in yellow bricks was rebuilt in 1951. The church has blank walls and a tiled roof. At the east gable is a timbered bell-tower.
|dike and old trees|
|two bells in timbered bell-tower.|
|view to Grynderup sø|
In the parish was some sand drift which according to Pont. Atlas began ab. 1747 , but has stopped long ago.
While digging peat in a bog at Grynderyp were in 1842 found 21 coins, of which: 13 socalled brakteats from Hedeby (Haithabu) from the 900s and 7 Arab dirhemes from 892-907; besides a small silver bar and 18 pearls in rock crystal, glass and alike.
Listed prehistorics: 4 hills
Destroyed or demolished: 27 hills.
Two kitchen middens in the northern part of the parish. In a moor at Grynderup were found two necklaces from Bronze Age.
Sæby (1402 Sæby); Grynderup (1424 Grundrupp, 1468 Gryndorp); Holmgårde (1474 Hollom gordt); Snabe (1547 Svob, 1683 Snabe); Kærgård (1524 Kiergardt); Bækkegård (after 1448 Bæksgaard, 1684 Gløngbechgaard).
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo: Sæby kirke september 2012: grethe bachmann