Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Selde church, /Selde kirke, Nørre herred, Viborg amt
Selde Church, ab. 25 km north of Skive
Selde sogn, Nørre herred, Viborg amt.
Brass badges from coffins with coats of arms for the families at the manor Kjeldgaard.
Not far from Limfjorden lies Selde church upon a hill in the eastern part of Selde village. The village road is close to the ferry station to the island Fur. The church has Romanesque choir and nave and two cross armed chapels, one to the north in ashlars and monk bricks from the 1500s, and one to the south in ashlars and small bricks from ab. the 1600s,which is a burial chapel for Jørgen Rosenkrantz of Kjeldgård and later used by Bernt Due and his family. The late Gothic tower to the west has a pyramid roof and a spire. It now functions as a front hall with a vaulted room, opening in a round arch to the nave. This room was once a burial chapel for the family Stjernholm at Kjeldgård. The church was repaired in 1869 and the present cast iron windows date from this time. A big part of the inventory dates from this renovation too.
The choir and nave have beamed ceilings, and in both cross arms are octagonal ribbed vaults. The altar piece is a large painting by the Danish 'Guldaldermaler' Constantin Hansen. The altar chalice is from 1647 with coat of arms of Jørgen Rosenkrantz and fru Christence Juel. The pulpit is from 1869. The most remarkable piece in the church is the Romanesque baptismal granite font, which upon the foot has a runic inscription where only the name 'Gudliv' gives a certain interpretation. A very simple font, which was earlier placed in the manor Kjeldgaard's garden, is now placed in the tower room. The church bell is from the 1400s and has many imprints of coins. Two figures upon the wall of the nave and a circular painting upon copper come from a big sandstone epitaph.
Close to Selde Church and village is Selde Vig where the ferry sails to the island Fur.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Selde (* 1300s Sellde, 1481 Seld); Flovtrup (1498 Flotrvp); Kjeldgård (1524 Kieldgardt); Vester Møjbæk (* 1440 Modobeck, Modbech, 1556 Mobek, 1610 Moedbek); Eskov (1610 Esschouff).
Upon a hill at Kjeldgård's field named Lundhøj was once a church(Lund kirke) close to a well. If the granite font in Selde kirke might origin from here is uncertain.
Kjeldgård (Kildegård after a sacred well at the farm, which still gets water from here); it belonged in 1524 to hr. Ove Vincentsen Lunge (Dyre) of Tirsbæk (+ 1540), in 1578 to his daughter's son Ove Juel. After his death 1599 it came to his brother's son rigsråd and statholder in Norway Jens Juel(+ 1634), whose daughter Christence Juel brought it to her husband, hofmester at Sorø Jørgen Rosenkrantz, who in 1668 sold it to fru Dorte Daa (+ 1675), married to hr. Gregers Krabbe ; after her death it came to the son-in-law Bernt Due (+ 1699), whose son Manderup Due in 1704 got it in an exchange, but sold it in 1709. Various owners: Stiernholm, Hvas, Saabye, Trojel etc. The main building, which is surrounded by moats, was built in the end of the 1700s.
To the northeast of Kjeldgård's garden are some hollows and remains of wallwork, the last memories about how the farm still was placed in the 1700s. It had a high tower and spire. According to legend it was conquered in 1534 by Skipper Klement.
Listed prehistorics: 11 hills of which a pretty group of 6 hills at Branden, Sundshøjene; rather large is also Bavnehøj at Flovtrup.
Demolished or destroyed: 24 hills, and a longhill Stenshøj at Flovtrup, which possibly once was a longdolmen.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt. 1962.
photo Selde kirke April 2004: grethe bachmann