Friday, August 07, 2009
Fur church / Fur kirke, Harre herred, Viborg amt.
Fur Church, ab. 27 km north of Skive
Fur sogn, Harre herred, Viborg amt
The long church - which is inaugurated to St. Morten (Martin) has a Romanesque nave and a choir with apse. In 1166 the bishop in Viborg confirms to the pope that his predessesor more than 40 years ago recieved Fur church as a gift from three of the founders. That is to say that the church was built before 1126. There are names of three founders which is rather unusual. The church is the first parish church in Viborg amt (district) which was known to belong to Viborg domkapitel. (chapter)
The nave is in granite and redstone ashlars, while the choir and apse are in redstone. The tower and porch are late Gothic. The 22 high tower is granite ashlars at the bottom section and monkbricks at the upper section.High upon the wall is a stone with a carved human face. A free stairway and a highplaced door upon the northside gave access to the upper storey. The porch is in ashlars and monk bricks. The nave was probably extended already in the Romanesque period. The Romanesque apse window and two windows in the northside of the nave are in use. The north door with a tympanum is extended while the south door has disappeared.
The altar piece is Late Gothic and was set aside for some years, where it was replaced by a crucifix-painting which is now placed above the entrance door. In 1949 the old side wings with the twelve apostles was restored and brought back to the altar. In the middle field was placed a copy of a medieval crucifix. Altar candle sticks from the 1500s with little lion figures as feets.
The Romanesque granite font is created by an English master mason with relief-carved animal- and human figures and foliage. The baptismal dish is the Nürnberg-type from about 1550-75 with engraved initials ASS-IPD-MTS. The pulpit is Renaissance from the beginning of the 1600s. Upon the upper stool gables is the year 1645 and the initials KHDA (priest's wife Karen Henriksdatter Arctander). A large chandelier from 1703.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Fur (* 1100s Phur, *1200s Fuur); Hvirp (1664 Huirp); Nederby (1664 Nederbye); Madsbad (1664 Maszbai); Debel (* 1440 Dibbel, 1664 Debbell); Engelst (* 1440 Engelsz, 1683 Engelst); Vojel (*1440 Ochelsz, 1664 Woiel); Præstegårde (1532 Prestegordt); Sundgårde (1664 Sunde); Lundgårde (*1410 Lundegordt); Grisselgårde (*1440 Greszved, 1664 Griszelgaard); Kønsborg
(1683 Kønigsbierg); Bjergegård (*1420 Beregard); Dalsgård (1683 Daels Gaard).
Hr. Jens Andersen had in 1279 to endowe the estate at Fur - which he had bought from Peder Rød - to provst (rural dean )Troels of Viborg. Mikkel Ågesen Vendelbo of Fur is mentioned in 1319, his son Jens Mikkelsen Vendelbo of Fur 1365. His daughter Maren gave in 1410 her paternal main farm Lundgård and all the other estate at Fur to Viborg domkapitel (chapter). The main farm at Fur and Fur Church was placed by ærkedegnen (arch dean),while Lundgård and the now disappeared Vargård was placed by the cantor.
After the reformation Ivar Krabbe of Østergård (se article Østergård Manor) tried in vain to have Lundgård awarded in 1549. In 1696 it was a ryttergods (horses/estate). In 1718 the king endowed Lundgård and most of the island Fur to Niels Ibsen of Tvis Kloster - in 1731 it belonged to Andreas Kjærulff of Bjørnsholm and after him various owners, until it in 1807 was sold to the inhabitants of Fur by Thyge Thygesen.
In the middle of the 1400s was manetioned a farm Vargård (*1440 Wargaard).
One of Denmark's largest settlements from the viking period is at Nederby village. Close to Svenskehulen (Swedish Cave) and the Red Stone is Emmelestene, a long barrow - in the old days named Kæmpegrav (Giant Grave). It is 64 m long and 8 m broad. An arrow (like the arrows found at Bromme) is about 12.500 year old. At Verdens ende (End of the World) are in excavations found Bronze Age house-sites. Detector findings show that the old Furboere (inhabitants of Fur) were not dressed in sackcloth and ashes, but wore fine cloth from all of Europe, from France in the south to Poland in the east.
There are 24 gravehills at the island, the largest is Manhøj and Odinshøj. The 4 Smediehøje and the 2 Stendalhøje are placed beautifully in a high area. In a hill at Debel was found a Bronze Age sword and the cover stone over the stone dolmen was filled with cup-shaped hollows. At Manhøje was a big flat stone which was covered with engraved cup-shaped hollows and stylized figures. The stone is today considered on of Denmarks finest helleristningssten (petroglyph stones). The original is at the National Museum ; a copy at Fur Museum.
Møllehøj is owned by Fur Museum with public access. The hill had traces from the half part of the small weather mills which is excavated in Denmark. It is surrounded by granite boulders and in the middle of the hill is an ab. 4.500 year old burial chamber built in wood.
3 small kitchen middens are known from Færker Hede (moor) - and from Stone Age are some settlements at the island, fx one by Engelst. Close to this village is also found a depot of 13 broad flint axes and 7 flint daggers. A settlement with house remains from Irone Age is found close to Smediehøjene.
Thousands of prehistoric things and detectorfindings are found in the fields at Fur. The exhibition at Fur has among other things jewels from Germanic Iron Age and Viking period and seals and signet rings from the 1600s. The geological exhibition is a unique collection of fossils. Link: Fur Museum
Rødstenen (the person is 182 cm tall)
Rødstenen (The Red Stone) is a rock in one of the valleys from where a nature path leads to other special places on the island. A part of the surface of the red stone is covered in rare species of lichen which gives it a grey colour. That's why it is also named Gråstenen. The material rødsten was used in building of among others Fur Church and Viborg Cathedral.
A legend is attached to a hole in the red stone, which was said to be the home of the dragon. A brave young guy dared to go into the dragon's den. He kept on walking and then he heard hammer strokes like it came from a smitty. Another legend tells that people tried to measure the cave. They tied a rope to a small boy and hoisted him down in the cave through the narrow opening, but when they pulled up the rope again, it had burnt and the poor boy had disappeared. A third legend says Bjergmanden (the mountain troll) lives in the cave; the same man who once told Valdemar Atterdag his fortune. And in a hollow in the hills is a place named Røverstuen where the robbers once lived. And that is very true!
Upon the northern part of Fur the moler comes to the surface. This over 50 million years old moler stretches along Limfjorden all the way from Fur to the northern part of the island Mors and down to Ertebølle in Himmerland. This is the only place where moler is found in the world, and it is a favorite place for geologists. It is also a perfect place for enthusiastic tourists who want to search for fossils. The island Fur is visited by ten thousands of tourists every year.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Fur kirke & Fur, 2005: grethe bachmann