Thursday, January 28, 2010
Tåning church / Tåning kirke, Voer herred, Skanderborg amt.
Tåning Church, ab. 5 km southwest of Skanderborg
Tåning sogn, Voer Herred, Skanderborg amt.
The whitewashed church in Tåning has a Romanesque choir and nave with late Gothic additions, a tower to the west and a porch to the south. The Romanesque part is built mainly in small travertine stones. The original south door, which is round arched with small kragbånd, is in use, while the north door, like two round arched windows on the north side of the nave and one on the north side of the choir, are outside bricked-up. The east window of the choir is traced vaguely. Inside is the north window of the choir seen as a niche. The eastern section of the choir has like in the nearby church Ovsted/Ousted a strange triangular inside apse. In the south east corner is a small door to a narrow winding staircase, which leads up across the vault. In the north side of the apse is a small built-in cupboard. In late Gothic period ab. 1475 was built cross vaults in choir and nave. Later, in the beginning of the 1500s, was added a tower, built mainly in monk bricks, its cross vaulted bottom room opens to the nave in a pointed arch. A very low free staircase leads up to a small door to a staircase through the wall, which is so low that you almost have to crawl through. The porch from the Reformation period is built in large cleaved granite stones and monk bricks.
Tåning, a curious cock opposite the church
The altar piece from 1613 is a good joinery in rich late Renaissance with painting from the 1700s. The altar chalice was re-newed in 1718 after a fire. Candelabres from 1942. A beautiful high Gothic thurible from ab. 1375-1400, the original hanging iron is preserved. The small Romanesque granite font has low reliefs upon the basin of three lions and a bird and a strange motive looking like a head upon a pole. A south German bowl ab. 1575 with majuskel inscription "Aus Not hilf Got" repeated four times. A pulpit in high Renaissance 1595. The pews has gable pieces in Renaissance ab. 1600. A small defect church ship, the fullrigger "Svanen" from ab. 1910 is placed in the middle storey of the tower. - Upon the church yard north of the choir 3 peasant gravestones in granite from 1700s.
landscape at Tåning Å
Uldan Nielsen conveyed 1268 his estate in Horndrup and Havreballe to Øm kloster. Havreballegård belonged since to the kloster until the reformation, it was then endowed to the væbner Ove Pedersen, who continued as the king's vasal until 1543. Soon after came H. under Århusgård, then under Skanderborg vasalry and Det skanderborgske rytterdistrikt (horsemen district). Later owners: Haarup, Frich, van Deurs, Crome, Hedelund.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s: Tåning (* 1234 Thøringh, * 1248 Thøning, 1200s Thyrning, 1610 Thornningh); Horndrup (* 1248 Houndrup, 1200s Horningthorp); Havreballegård (* 1248 Haffuerballig).
Listed prehistorics: The hill Råhøj northwest of Tåning.
Demolished or destroyed: 5 dolmens and 25 hills, the two dolmens were southwest of Horndrup, the three west of Tåning. - At Fredensholdm were found 3 earth graves from dyssetid (dolmen period).
Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.
photo Tåning kirke 2003: grethe bachmann