Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Vedslet church / Vedslet kirke, Voer herred, Skanderborg amt.
Vedslet Church, ab. 9 km south of Skanderborg.
Vedslet sogn, Voer herred Skanderborg amt.
The church in Vedslet has apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period with late Gothic additions: tower to the west and porch to the south. The Romanesque section is in granite ashlars; the contemporary apse is in raw granite boulder and travertine. From original details is the straight-edged door, which is in use, and upon apse a somewhat changed window. In the north wall of the choir is a bricked-up window, and several window-monolites lie upon the church yard. Inside is the choir arch with kragbånd, and in the bottom of the wall is a picture ashlar with a jumping lion. The apse has kept its halfcircular vault, and the nave has a beamed ceiling, while the choir in the late Gothic period, ab. 1475, had a cross vault - and at the same time was built a a partition wall towards the apse, which was furnished as a sacristy. In the late Middle Ages, probably ab. 1520-23, was the low tower in monk bricks added; its flatlofted bottom room opens in a round arch towards the nave. The access to the middle storey is via an iron staircase on the north side. The double round arched peep-holes are divided by middle pillars. The tower was face walled in 1963. The porch is likewise from the Reformation period with a flat round arched door.
In the choir was in 1924 frescoes brought to light of apostles and a strange Christ-figure and the coat of arms of Jens Iversen Lange. The communion table is covered by a simple panel from ab. 1550, and the cleansed altar piece is a carving in late Renaissance ab. 1635 with newer paintings. It is together with the pulpit repaired in 1953.Baluster-shaped Baroque candelabres ab.1650-75. A Romanesque granite font of Horsens-type with lions in flat relief. A small south German bowl ab. 1550-75, inserted in a larger bowl. A pulpit in late Renaissance 1641 with sounding board from 1639, given by Oluf Olufsen Snedker in Hedemølle. Pews from 1634. Bell 1733 by Caspar König. Memorial tablet over those killed in the war at Dybbøl 1864.
One km south of the church is a place named Troldkirke, where the church according to the legend was meant to be built, but the trolls prevented it's building. When cultivating the area large granite boulders and wall rests of monk bricks were found.
Names in the Middle Ages: Vedslet * 1391 Wedslett, 1405 Wetzslæt); Grumstrup (* 1353 Grumstrup); Assendrup (1405 Ascerdorp); Dalsgård (* 1391 Dallsgaard).
Listed prehistorics: A small hill overgrown with thicket upon a foreland in the northern part of the parish.
Demolished or destroyed: Two stone graves and 11 hills. - From Grumstrup are known settlements from early and late Roman period, and northwest of the town was found a rich clay vessel grave from early Roman period.
Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.
photo Vedslet kirke 2002: grethe bachmann