Friday, January 15, 2010
Voldby church / Voldby kirke, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.
Voldby church, ab. 17 km west of Århus
Voldby sogn, Gjern herred, Skanderborg amt.
The church is a Romanesque ashlar building with a later added tower. The Romanesque section is the choir with a flat altar wall and a nave, built in large carved ashlars. A thympanum with a relief of Christ between the symbols of Matthæus and Johannes origins from the south door. It is now placed above the western door in the tower. In the north and east wall of the choir are traces of two Romanesque windows, both bricked up, the northern visible outside as a niche. The tower, which earlier was larger, was in the 1800s rebuilt with small red stones. The narrow tower room is now the entrance hall, in the weather vane is the year 1880. In the white-washed inside, where the Romanesque choir arch is preserved, is choir and nave covered in a panel ceiling, possibly from the middle of the 1800s.
trace of a male head in the church wall.
Upon the communion table with two Gothic-style brass candelabres stands a Renaissance altar piece from ab. 1600, moved to Voldby church ab. 1850 from Hammel church; the main field has side wings and double Corinthic pillars with decoration belts as a frame around a painting from the 1700s, in the top field a painting. In the church was in 1924 replaced a late Catholic triptychon (found once at the loft by grev Mogens Frijs, restored and then kept at Frijsenborg, before it came to the church again) with a picture of the 10.000 knights martyrdom and upon the wings Mary Magdalene and the Saint-bishop Sct. Leodag of Autun, the altar piece was carved by Claus Berg. Romanesque granite font, rather re-cut. A Renaissance pulpit ab. 1600 moved to Voldby church in 1889 from the demolished Nebel church (Voer herred); it has the coat of arms of Claus Munds and wife in the postament field, and a supporting pillar with Corinthic pillars with decoration-belts as a frame around round arched fields with achantus balusters. Two chandeliers, copies of Renaissance-style from 1936.
Names in the Middle Ages: Voldby (* 1323 Wolby).
There are no listed prehistorics in the parish, but there were 7 now demolished hills.
photo voldby kirke 2004/2007:grethe bachmann