Saturday, January 16, 2010
Voerladegård church / Voerladegård kirke, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.
Voerladegård Church, ab. 11 km west of Skanderborg
Voerladegård sogn, Tyrsting herred, Skanderborg amt.
The large white-washed church has apse, choir and nave from the Romanesque period with a late Gothic tower in the southwest corner of the nave and a porch from the 1600s to the south. The tall Romanesque building is mostly built in travertine with use of raw granite boulder and hard pan. Choir and nave have below the cornices round arched friezes, and both original round arched doors are preserved, the south door in use, the north door bricked-up. Several Romanesque windows are preserved more or less visible, the original choir arch stands with kragbånd, and the apse has kept its half domical vault. In the late Gothic period ab. 1475 was in the choir built a cross vault and in the nave two cross vaults and two octagonal rib vaults. At the same time were inserted large pointed arch windows. After the building of the vaults was built a tower in the half broadth of the nave. The latest addition is the porch, which is built in monk bricks and probably is from the beginning of the 1600s.
The altar piece contains parts of a piece from 1752 with a painting. (It was re-made 1871 and a simple painting was inserted. This paiting now hangs in the church.) A small altar crucifix in late Gothic type, but probably carved in the Renaissance period. Altar candelabres given 1593 by Peder Fisk and Johanne Madsdatter Somer in Voer Klostermølle. Romanesque granite font with lion figures in classic type. Smooth bowl. Pulpit in high Renaissance ab. 1590-1600, same type as in Falling church (Hads herred). Two bells, one from the 1800s by P.P.Meilstrup, the other 1957 from Smithske Støberier. The church belonged in the Middle Ages to Voer kloster.
Klostermølle, Old millstones
The main building Voer Klostermølle, which was built in 1872, is situated upon the medieval Voer Kloster's land. Although remains have often been found from the kloster-period, the foundations from a considerable building plan just below level have never been examined thoroughly. In a small digging in 1935 in the garden east of the main building were found several skeletons, which bear witness about the hospistal work of the monks - there are also slags from a bog iron work and rests of a tilework. In the yard west of the main building and partly under the southern stable seems to have been the place of the kloster church. A few carved Romanesque granite ashars and a pillar capital are kept at the farm; a garage and a fence wall are built from the found tiles.
In a papal letter of 1468 is mentioned that the kloster burnt down three times; in 1535 it was decided that the kloster church had to be parish church for Voer and Sønder Vissing, but in 1560 the altar pieces of the church were divided between among others Dronningborg in Randers and the vasal Erik Rosenkrantz of Landting's parish church Ejsing (Ginding herred) - and after this time the closter building is not mentioned. The materials from here were probably used for the building in Skanderborg. When the stable building was built in 1874 a 40 m long wall was found at the north east corner, a 1,3 m high tower in heavy monk brick walls, 10 m square. From the closter, which was situated upon the flat land between the lakeside and the steep forest hills at the outflow of Gudenå into Mossø, was only kept the mill. The old main building, a long red-washed wing from ab. 1800 is placed south of the mill.
Voer Klostermølle was after the reformation occupied by copyholders under the Crown. Later sold; owners de Thygeson of Mattrup, Pontoppidan Møller of Addithus, Bodenhoff and Brüel; Now A/S.
At Dørup mark is a sacred well.
Listed prehistorics: 8 hills of which two Bavnehøje south of Dørup are rather large. From the group Trehøje are only preserved two.
Demolished or destroyed: Two dolmens, 1 longhills and 57 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Skanderborg amt, 1964.
photo Voerladegård/Klostermølle 2004/2007: grethe bachmann