Saturday, October 17, 2009
Saksild church / Saksild kirke Hads herrred, Aarhus amt.
Saksild Church, ab. 15 km south of Århus
Saksild sogn, Hads herred, Århus amt.
Saksild-Rude Strand is a very popular bathing place with many holiday cottages. The eastern border of the parish is the sea, Århus Bugt. On the inside lies the diked and dried Kysing fjord, and to the north Norsminde fjord with a small harbour and the wellknown Norsminde Kro.
The church in Saksild has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic extension, a tower to the west from the reformation period, a porch from the same period and a sacristy at the eastern side of the choir from ab. 1730. The Romanesque building was built relatively late in raw, cleaved granite boulder . The inside of the church has beamed ceilings. In the late Gothic period was added a western extension in monk bricks without any characteristic details. The slender tower had a high point arched opening in the west side, which is now closed by a wall with a rabbet door. The porch in raw granite boulder and monk bricks is probably from the reformation period or shortly after, but very rebuilt in 1751. The sacristy with a priest-entrance was built ab. 1730, probably by parish priest Poul Poulsen (+ 1736), but in the end of the 1800s it was face walled together with the choir gable. The tower spire is probably from the same time as the sacristy.
The panel of the communion table has painted ornaments from the end of the 1500s and the altarpiece is a rich carved work in bruskbarok (DK: 1630-1660) with a large relief from ab. 1660 by Peder Jensen Kolding. It was restored in 1908. A baptismal font in stone, from recent times. Crucifix from the same time as the altarpiece. The pulpit is a simple Renaissance work from ab. 1600. A chandelier from the 1500s, according to inscription upon a wooden tablet given by parish priest Poul Poulsen. A pretty church ship from 1783. In the porch a bell from 1828 by P.P. Meilstrup, given by Niels Rosenkrantz. A fine epitaph-painting from the end of the 1600s with portraits of unidentified persons. A stone tablet for parish priest Poul Poulsen and wife (both + in 1736).
Bishop Peder Vognsen gave in 1203 his estate in Rude to the chapter in Århus. Rudegård or Rude Hovgård belonged 1438 and 1444 to the væbner Jes Palnesen (Godov?); it was in 1492 under Boller and came in 1499 via hr. Erik Ottesen Rosenkrantz to his late son Holger's children. These heirs, Mette Urne, Albert Friis (of Haraldskær) and Johan Rud exchanged in 1581-93 H. with the Crown. It must have been this farm which the king in 1720 conveyed to the priest Jørgen Davidsen in Odder.
Etstate in Kysing was in 1203 transferred by bishop Peder Vognsen to Århus chapter, Kysing mark (field) belonged in 1299 to the canons, and the chapter exchanged in 1589 K. with the Crown.
Lars Truedsen gave in 1346 six farms in Saksild to an altar in Århus cathedral.
Half the city of Saksild burnt down in 1699 and in 1864 burnt 4 farms and 7 houses. Kysing burnt down in 1793 except two farms.
Upon Kysing mark close to Norsminde was once a church, mentioned in ab. 1300,1430 and 1524; Store Nor and Lille Nor in Malling parish also belonged to Kysing parish. Upon the church site "Meden kirke" is still preserved a couple of ruins, mostly raw granite boulder. The church was said to have been demolished during Svenskekrigen 1658-60 (war with Sweden). Saksild sogn/parish suffered much during this war, in Saksild church was since 1659 until 1859 held a service of thanksgiving.
Old pavement and monk bricks have been found at a farm in Rude,which together with the neighbouring farm had the name Rude Hovgård.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Saksild (* 1346 Sauxil); Rude (* 1203 Saxwæl ruthu, * 1204 Ruthe); Kysing (* 1203 Kysing); Norsminde (1292 Norsminne).
Listed prehistorics: In Rude plantage two long stone cists probably from Bronze Age.
Demolished or destroyed: 4 dolmens and other stone graves and 10 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Århus amt, 1963.
photo Saksild kirke/Norsminde 2003/2007: grethe bachmann