Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Fjellerup church / Fjellerup kirke, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt.
Fjellerup Church, ab. 18 km northwest of Grenå
Fjellerup sogn, Djurs Nørre herred, Randers amt
The church has a Romanesque choir and nave, which later was extended to the west, and late Gothic additions, a tower to the west and a porch on the nort side. The choir is built in granite ashlars and has in the eastern gable a bricked-up round arched window. The white-washed nave is mostly built in uncarved granite and with a few ashlars. The original north door is traceable as a broke in the plinth, while the south door has disappeared. A couple of very raw carved inside monolits from Romanesque windows lie at the choir gable. Inside is the round choir arch with rounded-off kragsten. In the Gothic period, probably ab. 1400, the nave got a short extension to the west in raw granite boulder without a visible plinth and the north door was moved a similar distance to the west. Bricked-up windows from that time have been brought to light inside. In late Gothic period was built a tiled tower using old ashlar material. The porch is mostly in raw granite with a gable partly in monk bricks. The building was restored in 1957-59.
The panel of the communion table is from 1901, and the altar piece is a painting from 1958. The earlier altar decoration was a neo Gothic frame work from ab. 1850 around Thorvaldsen's Christ sculpture in plaster. The late Gothic chalice was given in 1603 by Dorete Juul, and the baluster shaped candelabres were in 1592 given by her and her husband, Christoffer Mikkelsen (Tornekrands) of Lundbæk and bears their coat of arms. A Romanesque granite font in Djursland-type with a smooth basin and a trapeze-shaped foot. A pulpit in early Renaissance given in 1592 by Christoffer Mikkelsen and Dorete Juul. The fields have funny biblical reliefs with contemporary clothes. In the north door is a couple of doors from 1708 in double beaten sheet iron with mirror monogrammes and coat of arms of Otto Kruse of Østergård and Eva Margrethe Pentz. The doors were originally in the opening to the tower room, which was furnished for burials. The door of the porch is probably the original from late Gothic period with zigzag-ornamented heavy iron mounting. The bell was in 1924 cast from a bell from the 1700s by C.M. Troschell. A piece of a Romanesque roof-shaped gravestone is walled in the northside of the nave.
Østergård was in 1486 owned by Erik Pedersen (Glob, Due) who in 1453-83 had written himself "of Fjellerup". In 1487 Hans Hvas (of Komdrup) is written of Ø., and in 1491 Erik Pedersen's sister's son Søren Juul of Hedegård had by law Ø. Søren Juul died in 1535, and the farm came to the son Erik Juul, who is written to it in 1542. His brother landsdommer Axel Juul of Villestrup (+ 1577) got in 1556 and 1560 on behalf of his unmarried sisters Anne and Ellidse Juul of Ø. the king's confirmation to own it by law from 1491. After the death of the sisters the farm came to Axel Juul's daughter Dorete, m. to Christoffer Mikkelsen Tornekrands of Lundbæk (+ 1602), who in 1591 is written to Ø. It later belonged to her brother Ove Juul (+ 1604), whose son Hans Juul in 1648 sold it to Morten Skinkel (+ 1669), married to Lisbeth Høeg (Banner) (+ 1676).
Later owners: Krag, Pentz, Weghorst, Skeel, Adler, Mollerup, Fønss, Ammitzbøll, Ingerslev, Secher, Busck, Schou, Juel. From 1920 In 1920 skovrider Christian Fr. Juel. -The main building is listed in class B. It is a three-winged one storey building, two wings in half-timbered oak, white chalked with red timber. The third wing newly built 1890. The old half-timbered farm building was given to the Open Air museum at Sorgenfri.
Anders Nielsen Meynich in Fjellerup is mentioned in 1455.
A sacred well is found a little southeast of Hagenbjerggård.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Fjellerup (1372 Fyeldorp); Hegedal (* 1507 Hegidall); Østergård (* 1468 Østergrd).
Listed prehistorics: a long dolmen, which two chambers are removed, south of Hegedal, a two-chambered partly spoiled passage grave far south in the parish; 7 hills of which one, in a group of 5 southwest of Fjellerup, is rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: 21 hills, of which most were between Fjellerup and Hegedal. - At Jesholm is a kithcen midden.
Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963.
photo 2004: grethe bachmann