Friday, December 04, 2009
Knebel church / Knebel kirke, Mols herred, Randers amt.
Knebel church, 20 km west of Ebeltoft
Knebel sogn, Mols Herred, Randers amt
After the restoration/artist:Bjørn Nørgård
The altar piece/Bjørn Nørgård
photo Knebel church 2003
The church in Knebel has a Romanesque apse, choir and nave, while the west extension and porch are Gothic and a small later tower from 1738. The Romanesque part is in raw, cleaved granite boulders. The porch is monk bricks with a sharp arched door flanked by straight edged peepholes and crowns and the initials CGARØ and the year 1550 - possibly meaning the extensive facing walls. Several coins were found during the restoration, the earliest from 1400 is now in the National Museum.The church was restored recently (after an inside fire) with altar piece, communion table and rails created by the Danish sculptor Bjørn Nørgård.
Poskær Stenhus, Knebel
In Tinghulen in Mols Bjerge were probably once held Mols Herredsting (a thing in a district) during the Middle Ages, but about 1688 the thing was transferred to Ulstrup. West of Knebel is Galgebakken. (Gallow Hill).
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Knebel (* 1425 Knudbyllj, 1446 Knudbul); Skellerup (1446 Scielrup); Lyngegård (1487 Lyunghæ); Skellerupgård (1446 Scielrupgard); Hvingelsborg (1610 Huingelberigh, 1664 Huingelsborig).
Listed prehistorics: 3 round dolmens, a partly destroyed long dolmen, a dolmen chamber(poluygonal with a large cover stone at skellerup) and 7 hills, One of the round dolmens is Poskær Stenhus the most impressing dolmen east of Knebel. It was preserved already in 1860 - it has a pentagonal stone chamber with a huge cover stone, to entrance stones and a close circle of 23 very big, until 2 m high border stones. Furthermore 7 hills.
Demolished or destroyed: 3 dolmen chambers, a passage grave, 4 stone graves and 4 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963
photo Knebel kirke 2003/2007: grethe bachmann