Saturday, December 19, 2009
Ebdrup church / Ebdrup kirke, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt.
Ebdrup church, 24 km northwest of Ebeltoft
Ebdrup sogn, Djurs Sønder herred, Randers amt
The little white chalked church has a Romanesque choir and nave, built in raw granite boulders. The small tower which is open to the west was added late in the Middle Ages or shortly after, it is built in granite boulders and monk bricks, the year 1786 in the wall refers to a repair. The porch was added at the end of the 1700s. In the eastern wall is a Romanesque gravestone , while other Romanesque ashlars are re-used in the wall.
The church has beamed ceilings and the choir arch is remade into Gothic style, keeping the original kragsten. Upon the walled communion table stands a Renaissance altar piece. Two Gothic ore candelabres.The Romanesque granite font has a basin with carved rope decorations, divided in fields. The pulpit is from the beginning of the 1600s.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Ebdrup (* 1354 Ebdorp, Ebbedorp).
Listed prehistorics:A half destroyed dolmen at Poulsens høj and two burial mounds, of which Holmhøj is rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: a round dolmen, a long dolmen with two passage graves, 6 dolmens and 3 long dolmens ,which possibly were destroyed long barrows.
Source: Trap Danmark, Randers amt, 1963
foto 270303: grethe bachmann