Thursday, September 10, 2009
Nørre Ørum church / Nørre Ørum kirke and Strandet, Fjends herred, Viborg amt.
(Nørre) Ørum Church, ab. 15 km northwest of Viborg
Ørum sogn, Fjends herred, Viborg amt.
The high-placed church has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic tower to the west and a porch from 1894 to the south. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars, and both original doors are preserved; the north door bricked-up, the south door with a trapeze-shaped cover stone is still in use. From the original windows is one bricked-up in the east wall of the choir; the nave has one window in use and one bricked-up to the south. Inside are beamed ceilings, the choir arch is extended. Upon the southeast corner of the nave is an ashlar with a chessboard pattern. The late Gothic tower is built in ashlars and monk bricks but very face-walled. The bottom room of the tower opens to the nave in a pointed arch. Many parts of the choir walls were re-walled in a renovation in 1892, and in 1894 a new porch in red bricks replaced an earlier porch. The church was restored in 1957 and got new roof upon porch and tower.
Upon the ashlar walled communion table stands a rich Renaissance altar piece from ab. 1610-20 with original biblical paintings and the coat of arms of Hans Juel and Birthe Rosenkrantz. An altar painting from 1858 hangs in the church. In the National Museum are a couple of altar posts, probably from the 1200s. Baluster shaped brass candelabres from ab. 1650. A Gothic ore jar with spout, stands on goat leggs. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth basin with sloping edge and a capital-like foot. South German bowl from ab. 1575. A simple font-lid. The pulpit with the same coat of arms as the altar piece and funny animal reliefs. Manor pews 1593 with the paternal and maternal coat of arms of E.Vesteni and Sophie Beck. Upon another pew gable a portrait of Hans Juel and the letters D W S A H G and in another place the portrait of a boy and M G K M J H . Furthermore the pew doors and panels have got painted pietistic allegories in Rococo from the middle of the 1700s. Bell from the 1200s without inscription.
Strandet is placed in a beautiful landscape upon a hillside on the westside of Hjarbæk fjord a few km south of Virksund. It is mentioned the first time in 1493. In 1501-37 it belonged to Ingeborg Eriksdatter (Fasti), widow after Bertel Kaas (Sparre-K.) of Nørgård. In 1512 her brother Peder Skram (Fasti) proved that S. belonged to her children. Her daughter's daughter Anne Eriksdatter Lykke brought before 1558 S. to her husband, landsdommer Palle Mogensen Juel (+ 1585), who in 1551 bought the farm Lille Strandet in an exchange with the Crown. Their son Mogens Juel ( + 1605) exchanged in 1560 S. to Erik Vesteni (+ 1607); his 4 daughters had probably each a part of the farm, but in 1625 Dorte Vesteni could convey to her sister Anne Vesteni 1/4, and in 1626 sell 1/2 the farm to Iver Prip, who furthermore bought a part, so that he 1727 could exchange 3/4 of the farm to Claus Kaas (Sparre-K.) for Øland. In 1620 rigsråd Hans Lindenov (+ 1642) bought Claus Kaas' part and after 1636 the last fourth from Anne Vesteni. He also owned Ørslevkloster, with which Strandet belonged, until Hans Henrik Jørgensen in 1777 sold Ørslevkloster. Later owners of S.: Just, Richter, Sehested, Lundsgaard, v. Bülow, Bækgaard. In 1923 sold to J. Chr. Tvergaard. The main building is listed in class B.
At Strandet was Strandet Mølle (1683 Strandit- Strannde Mølle).
Southwest of Solbakken was the sacred St. Georg's Kilde.
In the moor a little west of the parish border is seemingly natural bank, only parted from the higher land in a narrow grave-like hollow. Size ab. 57 x 41 m, named Trælsborg, where according to tradition once was a castle. The top of the bank does not look as if it was built on , and it is not known if there ever were found traces of a building. The grave hollow north of the bank looks though as if it is artificial.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Nørre Ørum (* 1401 Ørum, * 1468 Nørre Ørum, Nør Ørumb); Sønder Ørum (* 1468 Sønder Ørum); Strandet (1493 Strandhet); Lille Strandet (1551 Lille Strandet); Ørumgård (1503 Ørwmgardh); Åris (1683 Aris); Drontmølle (1584 Drunt Mølle).
Listed prehistorics: In the border with Ørslevkloster is a 93 m long hill; 29 hills, mostly small. Demolished or destroyed: 40 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Nørre Ørum kirke/Strandet: 2003/2007: grethe bachmann