Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Skarrild church / Skarrild kirke, Hammerum herred, Ringkøbing amt.
Skarrild Church, ab. 20 km southwest of Herning
Skarrild sogn, Hammerum herred, Ringkøbing amt.
The simple church in Skarrild has a Romanesque choir and nave with a porch to the north. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars; the straight-edged north door is in use, while the south door has disappeared. In the east and north side of the choir is a round arched window in each wall, in the nave two similar, all open. Upon an ashlar west of the door is a faint engraved ornament. Inside are flat beamed ceilings and a round choir arch. The porch outside the north door is built in ashlars and bricks and has inside a flat round arched vault, the age of the porch is unknown. West of the nave are traces from a tower, which was once removed .
The altar piece is a painting from the late 1800s. Baluster shaped Renaissance candelabres, given 1605 by Oluf Christensen Ronum. Simple Romanesque granite font. A pulpit in late Renaissance ab. 1650. Pews partly renaissance from 1624. A bell without inscription from 1200s. hangs in a bell frame at the choir gable. Upon the church yard is a memorial wall for the 7 British fliers, who crashed south of the church in 1944; in front of the wall is placed a propel from the airplane.
SEVEN BRITISH FLYERS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR THEIR COUNTRY AND FOR US.
MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.
Nørre Karstoft was still a farm in 1614, when it together with Estvadgård by Peder Munk was sold to Jakob Lykke. In 1635 it belonged to Christian Rantzau of Breitenburg, in 1636 it was with 3 farms and one bol (small farm) by Iver Mogensen Krabbe of Vegeholm (+ 1662) sold to Corfitz Ulfeldt of Tviskloster, whose brother Jakob Ulfeldt owned it in 1638 . His children are written to it in 1670, and the son Jakob Jakobsen Ulfeldt conveyed it in 1683 with four farms to the priest Niels Kjeldsen Ulfborg (+ 1687). Later owners: Windfeldt, Schanderup, Paaske, Schiønning, Linnet, Secher, Lange, Wium, Rahbek. Owner from 1929 Johannes Møller. (1965).
West of the farm Højkilde is a sacred well.
In Skarrild sogn (parish) lived den kloge mand (wise man/healer ) Per Kragsig, where many people came to be healed.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Skarrild (1330-48 Skareld); Karstoft (1612 Korszthofft); Døvling (1688 Wester Deuling, Øster Douling); Ronnum (1688 Ronnumgaard); Silstrup (1648 Sielstrup); Skarrild Nederby (* 1479 Nørby); Lustrup (1587 Ludstrup); Hesselvig (1688 Heselwiig); Heesgård (1688 Heeszgaard); Nr. Karstoft (1688 Nørkastoft Hovedgaard), Pindvig (1688 Store-, Lille Pindwig).
Listed prehistorics: 30 hills, mainly in the northwestern part of the parish in connection to the many hills in Sdr. Felding and Assing parish. Several hills are rather large: Troldhøj or Trindhøj north of Døvling, Smedstruphøj west of Skarrild and Tophøj in the group Pilgårds høje, 4 hills (besides 6 demolished) northwest of Skarrild.
Demolished or destroyed: 26 hills. - At Skjern Å on the land of Hesselvig Enggård was found a settlement from Gudenåkulturen.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ringkøbing amt, 1965.
photo Skarrild kirke 2003: grethe bachmann