Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Tårup church / Tårup kirke and Tårupgård, Fjends herred, Viborg amt.
Tårup Church, 12 km northwest of Viborg
Tårup Sogn, Fjends herred , Viborg amt
The church is placed rather high and close to Tårupgård. A stone stairway leads from the church yard down to the manor. Tårup Church consists of parts from a Romanesque nave; it was strongly rebuilt during the Renaissance period into a longhouse with apse , chapel, late Gothic tower and porch. There are only few parts left from the Romanesque building in raw and cleaved granite boulder. Two monolite cover stones from windows are preserved in other places, one by the south wall, the other with three carved crosses in the wall of the chapel. A stone mason field is seen on an ashlar in the wall of the chapel. According to Pontoppidan's Atlas the tower had five spires, of which the four was broken down on purpose, and the fifth after a lightning.
Inside the church is a walled communion table covered in a frontpanel with paintings from the 1700s. The fine altar piece is Renaissance with carved work, seemingly influenced by Mikkel van Groningen's workshop. An early communion picture from the 1700s is on the wall behind the altar. The chalice is a pretty silversmith-work in early Renaissance from ab. 1560-70 with coat of arms and initials of chancellor Niels Kaas and a Lutheranian inscription. The granite font is new or reconstructed with a south German basin from 1575.
The pulpit is late Baroque and probably from the same period as the grandiose gallery with twisted pillars and fruit-clusters at the north wall of the nave, given 1682 by Tønne Juul. Upon the manor pews are coat of arms with initials - the paternal and maternal coat of arms of Niels Kaas and the year 1579 and added the coat of arms of Tønne Juul and wife. The other pews are probably from 1682 with curved North Jutland gable points. There are two church bells, one small without inscription and probably from the 1200s, the other from 1637 with the coat of arms of Flemming Ulfeld and Anna Elisabeth von Groben. In the south chapel is the south wall covered by a big sandstone/marble epitaph in late Baroque for Tønne Juule and wife and with their coat of arms.
Tårupgård is situated in a beautiful scenery at Hjarbæk fjord between the Romanesque parish church and the coast of the fjord. The manor belonged already in the beginning of the 1400s to the nobility family Kaas (Sparre-Kaas), who owned most of the estate and all main farms in Nr. Fjends herred (district). Tårupgård belonged in 1422 to Jens Kaas (Sparre-Kaas), in 1468 to his son rigsråd (councillor of State) hr. Niels Kaas, who for a period was a landsdommer (High Court judge) in Nørrejylland. When his father in 1422 came to an agreement with bishop Lave in Viborg in which he achieved jus patronus of Tårup Church he probably also owned Tårupgård, which is placed almost at the foot of the church.
When Niels Kaas had died (after 1471), the manor was in 1492 conveyed to his son Jens Kaas of Votborg (at the island Mors), who later was a vasal at Bøvling (Rysensteen) and still lived in 1519. With his wife Edel Lagesdatter Saltensee he achieved Stårupgård, which went to their sons, of whom Niels Kaas (+1534) bought his brother's part . His brother was magister Mogens Kaas , kantor in Ribe and kannik (canon) in Viborg (+1543) - he was the owner or had a part in Tårupgård and had Ørslev Kloster as a mortgage.
Mogens Kaas was childless but his brother Niels Kaas had left several children, one of his sons Niels Kaas , the famous kansler (chancellor) and regeringsråd (substitute and teacher for the young Christian IV) - who was named after his father because he was born after his death - became the owner of Tårupgård. Niels Kaas bought and exchanged much property near the manor, but the most important was that he in 1579 bought Skovsgård with 16 farms and 2 bol in Kvols. He also bought Kurgård from the king, who had exchanged this property the day before with fru Karen Krabbe and her son-in-law Otte Banner. In 1582 the king gave Niels Kaas 50 oaks from Hald Forest for building works on his manor.
Niels Kaas died unmarried in 1594, and Tårupgård came to the sons of his brother Erik Kaas of Støvringgård. One of his sons was Gjord Kaas who was involved in a incestous affair with his sister-in-law. She was executed and he had to flee the country but returned years later and was executed in 1601. Gjord Kaas had sold his part of the manor to his brother Niels Kaas of Birkelse, who the following year together with a third brother rigsråd Mogens Kaas of Støvringgård sold the manor to their brother-in-law Preben Bild of Aggersborg, who died soon after. His widow fru Anne Kaas and her only living child Vibeke Bild - who about ten years later married Erik Rantzau but was widowed in 1627 - kept Tårupgård for a long period, and fru Anne Kaas added via the Crown much nearby estate to Tårupgård, especially in Kvols and Ørum. Together these two ladies owned 1.025 hektar in 1625. Fru Anne Kaas still lived in 1642, but died probably the next year; fru Vibeke sold Tårupgard in 1642 to Ingeborg Parsberg, a widow after Iver Juul.
Vibeke Bild had a great interest in literature and she lef two kæmpevisehåndskrifter ( scripts about giant folk songs). She died in 1650.Ingeborg Parsberg (+1665) gave before 1661 the manor to her son Tønne Juul (+1684), who was married to Anna Cathrine Friis of Haraldskær (+1698). According to their will was in 1681 established "Den Tårupgårdske Stiftelse" as an economic support for unmarried ladies. The manor was rented out until 1806 but was then sold and had several owners until it became a Ungdomskostskole. (Youth Boarding School).
The main building - listed in class A - is placed partly surrounded by moats downside the bank of Tårup Church close to Hjarbæk Fjord. The main wing and the short walled piece of the west wing is probably built in 1580 by Niels Kaas in monk bricks upon a foundation of granite ashlars. The chancellor's manor with the beautiful view to Hjarbæk fjord was a two storey building with corner towers, entrance tower and curved gables surrounded by moats, but Tårupgård was completely rebuilt in the 1700s. It has only one storey now, the towers disappeared and the Renaissance gable was replaced by kamtakker (points).
Tårupgård, Highland cattle at Hjarbæk fjord
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Tårup kirke (* 1421 Tharupsogenn, 1492 Tharupp); Knud (1524 Knwdt); Dalsgård (* 1421 Dalgaard, * 1422 Dalsgaard); Borup (* 1486 Borup); Kvosted (1525 Coster, 1529 Kosted); Jordbro (1587 Jordbroe Mølle); Nørre Rævind(Nr. Revn, 1664 Rewen, 1683 Nør Reffuen); Sønder Rævind ( * 1480 Reffn sogen, 1683 Sønder Reffuen); Klosterhuse(1642 Closter Huse); Tejls(1642 Tegels, 1664 Theils); Tårupgård (* 1457 Torup, 1468 Taaropgardh); Ris Mølle (1664 Riisz Mølle); Moesgård (1664 Modsgaard); Kvostedlund (1695 Qvostedlund.)
Skovsgård (1435 Skouffs gaardt) was a nobility farm,which in 1506-11 belonged to Peder Krabbe of Østergård, 1524 (his widow?) fru Anne, 1535 his brother Glob Krabbe of Østergård.With Glob Krabbe's daughter Karine Krabbe it came to Niels Skeel of Nygård(+ 1561), who is mentioned of it in 1548. His widow and son-in-law Otte Banner of Asdal exchanged it in 1579 to the Crown, which the same year conveyed it to kansler Niels Friis, who placed it under Tårupgård.
Dalsgård was in 1422 in an agreement between Jens Kaas and bishop Lage Glob made a vicarage.
Listed prehistorics: 24 hills, and two hills and 15 mounds upon a listed area at Rævind hede; most hills are small single grave hills.
Demolished or destroyed: two long dolmen, one 86 m long at Tejls, one lesser at Rævind hede. 26 hills and 7 mounds at Rævind hede. - In the side of a hill at Kvosted were found two heavy bracelets from late Bronze Age, and in an early Roman period's grave close to the same village was found a broche, 8 clay pots etc.
Source: Danske slotte og herregårde, bd. 12, Nordvestjylland; Trap Danmark Viborg amt, 1962; Niels Peter Stilling, Danmarks slotte og herregårde, 1998.
Photo Tårup kirke/Tårugård 2003: grethe bachmann