Sunday, September 06, 2009
Viskum church / Viskum kirke and Viskum Manor, Sønderlyng herred, Viborg amt.
Viskum Church, ab. 10 km east of Viborg,
Viskum Sogn, Sønderlyng herred, Viborg amt
Viskum Church is placed close east of Viskum Manor. It is a white-chalked building with a Romanesque choir and nave, a later added porch to the north and a tower at the western gable of the nave. The Romanesque section is built in raw granite boulder. There are no traces of Romanesque windows, but both doors are preserved, the south door is bricked-up, while the north door is still in use. The porch was built in monk bricks in front of the north door in the late Gothic period. The tower with a pyramid roof is built in 1778 by Chresten Juul of Viskum. The year and signature upon the tower is a memory about this. The bottom part of the tower, which has a vaulted room with a flat-curved arcade to the nave, was probably meant to be a burial chapel for the building master, since he and his wife's signature and the year 1779 is upon a wooden tablet above the entrance. Inside the church has a beamed ceiling, and the round choir arch was re-walled in 1940 as a replacement for a wooden arch of unknown age.
The altar section, which takes up the whole eastern wall of the choir with a broad curved communion table and flanked by priest- and parish clerk chairs, is from ab. 1780. The altar piece is newer with painting 1908. A Romanesque granite font upon a new foot. Pulpit in rural Renaissance, according to inscription from 1603 given by Lars Persen and whife, who are pictured in two fields between Adam and Eve. The sounding board, shaped like a large crown, is from ab. 1780. Four Evangelist-figures from the 1600s, possibly remains from an earlier altar piece, is placed in the tower room. In the nave are two coffin plates with various mounting in a frame upon the wall.
Viskum belonged before the reformation to Viborg bishopric, and it had its own birk (judicial district) (ment. in 1442). At the reformation it came to the Crown, who in 1546 endowed it to Jens Mogensen (Harbou), after his death his widow Kirsten Mogensdatter Juel got a letter on it in 1549. She married later Niels Lykke, who 1553-55 had V. as a vasalry. After him Jens Nielsen Kaas (Sparre-K.), 1558 Peder Kruse (+ 1562), then his widow Dorte Maltesdatter Viffert, 1572 Erik Podebusk (+ 1573) then his widow Sidsel Johansdatter Oxe; 1577-84 V. was endowed to Palle Juel, but already in 1579 the Crown exchanged it to Mourids Stygge of Holbækgård. After his death 1604 the owner of V. was his unmarried sister Inger Stygge (+ 1622), then his sister's son Hans Dyre, who in 1624 bought out his siblings' children Berte and Christence Stygge and his brother Iver Dyre af V., which he in 1629 gave to his daughter's son Ove Arenfelt, but still sold it in 1632 to Erik Lunov. He bought in 1653 a part in V. by Laurids Lindenov's widow Anne Friis (of Haraldskær). In 1665 burnt most of the building. Later owners: Brockdorff,Skeel, Juul, Neergaard, Lüttichau . In 1961 forpagter Frode Hansen. - The main building is a three-winged plan from ab. 1780 in provinciel Louis Seize.
In the meadow west of the road to Velds is a considerable, isolated, almost rectangular bank with steep sides, especially to the east and south. The bank is named Bårstenhøj, it is said to be a castle bank from the medieval farm Viskumø, and there are various legends about the place.
Names from the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Over Viskum (1608 Wiiskom,1664 Offwer Wischum); Fårdal (*1482 Fordall); Øby (*ab. 1460 Wiskemøø, * 1461 Øøe); Lunddorp( 1683 Lontrop, Lon Torp, Lundorff, Landorf, Lundtofft); Viskum (* 1442 Viskum, 1483 Wyskom); Store Torsager (* 1563 Thorszagger).
Listed prehistorics: 4 hills, of which Bavnehøj at Over Viskum.
Demolished or destroyed: 29 hills.
During some gravel extraction upon a bank at Fårdal was a strange finding from Bronze Age with a woman-figure, 4 horned animals, 2 oxen heads and a snake in bronze, furthermore 2 hængekar ( jewelry for the belt), another belt jewelry, a necklace , 3 bracelets and a piece for a belt with chains. Another sacrificial finding from Over Viskum contained hængekar, necklace and pieces from several necklaces. From Ø. moor origins a Viking period finding with a necklace, 4 bracelets, Thorshammer, two jewelry filigree, and some gold and silver for rings.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Viskum kirke/ Nørreå 2003/2006: grethe bachmann