Friday, September 04, 2009
Vindum church / Vindum kirke, Middelsom herred, Viborg amt.
Vindum church, ab. 12 km southeast of Viborg
Vindum sogn, Middelsom herred, Viborg amt
The large church has a Romanesque apse, choir and nave, a later added porch to the south and a tower to the west. The Romanesque walls are granite ashlars, and some Romanesque windows are preserved, one in the apse, one on the north side, one in the choir and two in the nave. Both doors in the nave are kept, the south door has two pillars and a smooth thympanum. The tower is in granite ashlars in the bottom section and above in monk bricks; it was built in the late Middle Ages and has a high Baroque spire from the 1700s. The porch was built in the 1600s in bricks, and above the door to the porch is a sandstone ornament with the coat of arms of the family Brun. Inside are beamed ceilings, but the apse has a half cupola vault, the choir arch was extended after the Gothic period.
The altar piece is from 1600s, shaped as a pillar-building i two storeys, in the fields newer paintings from ab. 1850. Romanesque granite font. A small late Gothic crucifix in a rare version with the Golgata and the tree of life hangs on the triumph wall. Pulpit from the beginning of the 1600s with Corinthic pillars in the corners and coat of arms for the family Brun in the fields; the same coat of arms are upon some pews in the church, rests of manor-pews from the 1600s. The upper pews in the nave have year 1743 and initials A M L (for Anna Margrethe Linde, widow after J. Friedenreich of Palstrup). Upon the north wall a high-placed manor-gallery, probably from the 1740, with grating windows, now rebuilt for the organ. The tower room was at the end of the 1700s furnished as a burial chapel with a vault for H.E. Steenfeldt + 1779 and wife; in the opening from the nave is a wrought-iron lattice. Series pastorum upon the wall of the nave.
Brandstrup Church was built 1869-70 in Romanesque style, in red bricks. The font is from the Romanesque period, possibly from the demolished Faldborg church, a baptismal bowl from ab. 1575. In the wall of the porch is bricked-up a Romanesque thympanum-relief, likewise from Faldborg church. The western part of the parish was earlier a parish in itself, Faldborg (Faldbjerg) sogn, also named Brandstrup sogn (parish). Faldborg Church was demolished in 1655.
In Vindum lived in 1428 Johanne Hansdatter Podebusk,a widow after væbner Mathias Nielsen (with a merlon in his coat of arms). His son Hans Mathiasen is mentioned until 1468, his widow Birgitte Maltesdatter still in 1477. Their daughter Mette Hansdatter (+ after 1534) was married to Hartvig Limbek (+ ab. 1520), who in 1486 and 1490 is written to Vindum Overgård. His daughter Anna Limbek brought a part of V. to Johan Bagge, who is mentioned in V. in 1537 and 1543, their daughter Birgitte Bagge brought V. to Mads Grøn, whose son Iver Grøn sold it to Agnete Friis (of Haraldskær), who 1568 wrote herself to V., but maybe only stayed here by her brother-in-law Mourids Brun. Another part of V. was owned 1537 and 1539 by Jep Brun (of Vindumgård) who was married to a daughter's daughter of Hartvig Limbek. He got in 1537 V. and estate by law until Johan Bagge had called together all Hartvig Limbek's heirs for final administration of the estate. the Brun-family had V. until the 1630s when it was sold to Iver Christoffersen lykke of Buderupholm (+ 1648). Later Bille, Skeel, Krarup, Friedenreich, Steenfeldt etc. Owner in 1943 Aage de Neergård .
Vindum, two Jutland horses
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Vindum (1349 Windum); Brandstrup (1423 Branzthorp); Fårup (* 1469 Fordrop, 1490 Fardup); Stenhuse (1688 Steenhuusit); Vindum Overgård (1490 Vindom Offuergord); Skaun (1423 Skawær, 1490 Skaffuen); Dyrskovhus (* 1559 Diurskouff); Hedegård (1664 Heedegaard); Holmhus (1683 Holm Husszet).
Skaungård was acc. to Pont. Atlas two farms which were under Hald, but in 1656 was exchanged to hr. Anders Bille and followed then Vindum Overgård until 1708, when Christen Lauridsen Krarup gave it to Mads Andersen Listo on behalf of his daughter Christine Johanne. In 1916 owner Adam Christensen.
It seems that there were two villages in the parish once: Listrup at Listrup Kær (1683 Listrup Kier) and Torup (* 1466 Torup); they both probably disappeared in the Middle Ages. Faldborg (which is now the name of a farm) was earlier the name of a parish (* 1468 Falborg sogn).From disappeared settlements are mentioned the farms Østerdi (* 1457 Østerdi) and Søgård (* 1457 Siøgaardt) in Brandstrup and the mill Hedegårds mølle (1664 Heedegaardtz Mølle). Vindum Overgård was also named Vindumgård (1486 Winom goor, Winomgoordh).
In Vindum sogn were once 4 sacred wells: Karlsbrønd at Vindum hede, Busnabrønden at Fårup mark, Faldborg Helligkilde southeast of Faldborg Church ruin and a well at Enggård mark west of Brandstrup Church.
Upon a field in Brandstrup were in 1918 found 68 speciedalere, mostly German and Netherland, the oldest from Zeeland 1629.
Listed prehistorics: 22 hills and one longhill.
Demolished or destroyed: 156 hills, of which most were in a row or a belt crossing Skaungård, via Rødkærsbro, south around Fårup and Vindum and then along the north side of Gudenådalen, obviously along a prehistoric road. - From Brandstrup mark is known a grave from early Bronze Age with sword, pålstav (war axe) broche etc.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962
photo Vindum kirke/Vindum Overgård 2003: grethe bachmann