Thursday, September 17, 2009
Sønder Felding church / Sønder Felding kirke, Hammerum herred, Ringkøbing amt.
Sønder Felding Church, ab. 22 km southwest of Herning
Sønder Felding sogn, Hammerum herred, Ringkøbing amt.
The church has a Romanesque choir and nave with a porch probably from the reformation-period to the north and a tower to the west from 1909. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars; the north door is in use, while the south door, which has a smooth thympanum outside, is bricked-up in small bricks. The walls inside are partly walled in granite ashlars, and the round choir arch has various kragsten, one with a relief of a dragon and a winding pattern. All rooms have beamed ceilings. In the west gable of the nave is a picture ashlar with a head in relief, surrounded by engraved indefinable ornaments. The tower from 1909 is in bricks; the east and west gable with round-arched højblændinger (drawn back fields).
The communion table is covered in a panel from the last part of the 1500s with diamond shaped-fields and decorated by joiner. The altar piece is a Lutheranian triptychon in early Renaissance, set up 1575 by Mogens Juel of Juellingsholm and Else Skovgård. In the middle field a naive painting from the middle of the 1700s, in the wings new texts from a repair 1959. Upon the backside is a painting from 1887. Small baluster shaped Baroque candelabres. Late Gothic parish clerk chair with gable in open work carving, very beautifully repaired with a simple decoration in gold and red upon clean oak. A Romanesque granite font with a smooth half-cupola shaped basin and a rope decoration between basin and round foot. Interesting pulpit in late Gothic , set up 1558 by Hartvig Skram and Kirsten Skovgaard. A large four-master ship, rather new. A bell without inscription, probably from the end of the 1400s, similar to other North Jutland bells.
Landscape at Skjern Å
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Sdr. Felding 1330-48 Fillingh); Nederby (* 1512 Neyrby); Tarp (* 1512 Torp, 1579 Tarp); Drongstrup (1498 Drongstrop, 1561 Drungstrup); Overby (* 1553 Offuerby marck); Gårdsvig
(*1500s Gordzwyg byggested, * 1536 Gaads wiig); Vesterbjerge 1688 Westerbierg); Øster bjerge (1688 Østerbierg); Fruergård Mark (* 1553 Fruergaard marck), Skovbjerg (1688 Schouberg); Minds (1526 Myndz); Nr. Mosegård (* 1553 Moeszgaard marck); Vestergård (1688 Westergaard); Elkær (1688 Elkier); Høgsviggård (* 1536 Høgszwiig).
In 1540 Jørgen Skovgaard (+ 1557) got by law Feldinggård, also name Fruergård. In 1553 Fruergård belonged to his son-in-law Hartvig Skram (+ ab. 1565), from 1582 his son Jakob Skram (+ 1625), (buried under the choir in the church), whose widow Dorte Friis owned it in 1638, the same year as a fru Karen at F. was accused of counterfeiting. In 1651 it belonged to Fr. Buchwaldt and 1681 Caspar von Buchwaldt, who pawned it to Niels and Bertel Laursen at Stovgård and from 1687 to Jens Mouritzen Tarm. In 1789 it was divided into three selvejergårde (independent farms).
In the parish was earlier mentioned the farms Lysgård (1688 Liusgaard), Borkærgård (1688 Borkergaard, *1554 is mentioned Borckier wod and Borckier krog), Nødvig (* 1554 Nøduig marck), Klokkerhøj (1688 Klockerhøy) and in Nederby Kopsgård (1561 Kophusted, 1585 Kopsgaard).
Listed prehistorics: 38 hills, besides the large Store Troldhøj, which is in the border to Assing, Nr. Vium and Borris parish. To the north at Drongstrup mark (field) are 8 small hills, Lille Klavshøjene, in a close group, not far from here is the group Store-Klavshøjene, which continues into Assing parish.
Demolished or destroyed: 41 hills. Most of the hills in the parish are or were in the northern section, north of Skjern Å.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ringkøbing amt, 1965.
photo Sdr. Felding kirke/Skjern Å 2003: grethe bachmann