Sunday, September 06, 2009
Vium church / Vium kirke, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt
Vium church, 10 km south of Viborg
Vium sogn, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt.
Vium Church has a Romanesque choir and nave, a late Gothic tower to the west, a porch to the south and to the north a cross arm from the restoration 1930-31 with a burial chapel in the bottom floor. The choir and nave are built in granite ashlars; three original windows are preserved, all with various monolit cover stones. The original south door has half pillars, leading up around and carved in the smooth tympanum, the north door was removed in 1930. The triumph arch with kragbånd has a new tiled roof, the nave has two late Gothic, octagonal vaults. The tower in raw granite boulder and monk bricks has a round arcade to the nave and a vault like this.
A small new communion table in pine. Altarpiece in late Renaissance, with painted year 1652 and the coat of arms of Jørgen Marsvin and Anne Helvig Gyldenstierne. Restored 1956, the painting removed, hangs now behind the organ. The original painting was brought to life, which was painted upon wood. The altar candelabres are pretty Renaissance table candelabres . A wine jar of Copenhagen porcelain, black, ab. 1850. A Romanesque granite lion font, a copy of the "classic type". A richly decorated baptismal bowl in Netherland type; it might be a local work from ab. 1650. Pulpit in Renaissance, ab. 1600. A choir arch crucifix, now without arms and head upon a flat foot piece, behind the organ. A small pretty Renaissance chandelier with an eagle as top figure and a lion's head with a ring in the bottom. Church bell, cast 1848 by H. Gamst, H.C. Lund Copenhagen.
A large iron-cross 1934 west of the church: A memory of "Skytten på Avnsbjerg, Guillaume de Martonniere, født 1728, død 19 august 1791." A raw granite stone with a large hollow like a bowl south of the tower might have been an aspersorium.
Cattle opposite the church.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Vium (* 1442 Wium, 1488 Viom); Neder Hvam (1498 Huamme, 1664 Nederhuamb); Over Hvam (1498 Huamme, 1664 Offuer Huamb); Hornskov (* 1517 Hornnskoug); Kokhus (1683 Kockhuset); Pabsø Huse (1664 Papsøe); Nipgårde (* 1494 Neb Gaard); Østermark (Vium Østermark); Marsvinslund (1664 Marswins Lund); Stendalgård (* 1477 Steendal).
The village Båstrup with 4 farms was by Jørgen Marsvin in 1654 gathered to a small main farm Marsvinslund,which followed Aunsbjerg until 1732, when it was sold to forpagter Lars Nielsen Schophuus. Later owners: Milan, Panderup, Lugge, Eenholm, de Linde, Moldrup, Jespersen ; owner in 1924 Søren Møller. The main building is listed in class B; it is a half-timbered building in one storey with cellar, built in 1654 and in the 1700s extended to the east.
Nipgård was in 1494 and 1499 pawned by Erik Eriksen(Løvenbalk) to rigsråd Niels Clementsen; the son Gert Eriksen (Løvenbalk) sold him in 1505 his part in N., while his sisters Gertrud and Pernille Eriksdatter in 1548 sold their part to Niels Skeel of Vinderslevgård, with which N. in 1579 came to the Crown, which in 1618 gave it to captain Peder Huen, who in 1637 got a life's letter on it.
Listed prehistorics: 43 hills, of which several are rather large: Korsehøj at Grundvad and Bleghøj southeast of this; Karlshøj or Korshøj, Tinghøj and Vandalhøj at Marsvinslund. Troldhøj and another hill northwest of Vium. In Stendal plantation a group of 9 hills close to Hærvejen. - Demolished or destroyed: 195 hills.
The Danish poet and author Steensen Steensen Blicher was born at Vium vicarage 11/10 1782.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Vium kirke 2006: grethe bachmann