Thursday, September 03, 2009
Vinderslev church /Vinderslev kirke and Vinderslevholm, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt.
Vinderslev Church, ab. 20 km south of Viborg
Vinderslev sogn, Lysgård herred, Viborg amt.
The richly decorated church in Vinderslev has a Romanesque choir and nave, where the western section was furnished as an entrance hall, and a late Gothic tower to the west. One original window in the eastern gable and rests of one to the south. The church has two magnificent pillar portals. The south portal has four pillars and a relief thympanum with a lion and an eagle, the north portal has six pillars and a thympanum with Christ between birds. In the tower are two Romanesque corner ashlars with lion reliefs. In the late Gothic period got the choir an octagonal vault, the nave two star vaults and a cross vault. The tower is in ashlars and monk bricks; it has a round arch to the nave and a vault like the choir, the bottom room functions as porch.
All the vaults and partly the walls was in the late Gothic period covered in Renaissance frescoes, which were never washed over. The Renaissance frescoes in the choir were no doubt arranged for by Karen Krabbe at the same time as the epitaph altar piece 1564. The communion table is a Renaissance panel with painted Baroque-flowers. The altar piece is late Renaissance, four pillars, with reliefversales under the lion heads of the postament: "Sørren Christensøn S.B. Ano 1638"; decorated 1650 and given by vicar Christen Eriksen of Vinderslev; above the great wings and the angel heads carved in relief T C S M P S. In the top piece relief of the snake in the tree, flanked by Adam and Eve. In the three fields of the large section biblical paintings . The earlier altar piece stands at the north wall of the choir as a memory tablet(one of the oldest epitaph-paintings) with a grave inscription for Niels Skeel of Nygård (+ 1561), with paintings and the kneeling family surrounded by 32 coat of arms and: " Anno dni. 1564 bleff denne thaffuel gjordt til Altertaffle." (In 1564 was this tablet made into an altar piece).
Late Gothic altar candelabres with coat of arms (Høg? Banner?) Romanesque granite font, a fine example of "the classical lion fonts". Netherland baptismal bowl with initials I R M I D and an inscription as a memory about Helene Fox Maule's (of Vinderslevholm) christening in the bowl in 1860. Pulpit with same details as the altar piece. Decorated 1650 with Evangelist paintings. Entrance to pulpit a Renaissance panel ab. 1600. Neo Gothic pews. Western gallery with a contemporary organ. Church bell 1330, cast by Paulus.
In the rests of a small, but important Romanesque Vinderslev grave-memory : two small granite crosses, which were gable stones for an oblong gravestone, reliefs upon the crosses: a man with a tunic and a pointed cap, a blacksmith's tools, an ashlar wall, a bell etc, no doubt the building master of the church.
Vinderslevgård ( Vinderslevholm) belonged in 1442 - 1501 to Poul Eriksen Løvenbalk, then his son-in-law Hans Skeel of Nygård and his son Niels Skeel (+ 1561), whose widow Karen Krabbe 1579 exchanged V. to the Crown. In 1589-95 it was endowed to Jørgen Friss of Vadskærgård, but else it was under Silkeborg vasalry. Chr IV allowed in 1636 Poul Byser's widow Anne Falksdatter to keep V. for life. She was in 1645 said to be very poor. In 1651 V. was endowed to Mogens Høeg (Banner), 1658 to Hans Friis of Haraldskær and 1660 to oberst Ditlev Rantzau and his wife. In 1696 Chr. V gave it to amtmand , gehejmedråd Johan Otto Raben, who in 1701 sold it to lessee at Vilhelmborg Hans Thomsen Strømberg (+ 1719). Later owners: Fischer, Dyssel, Juel-Rysensteen, Lunn, etc. In 1895 to Helene Fox -Maule and engineer Carl Fox-Maule, who outparcelled the estate. The original farm got the name Vinderslevholm. Later owners: Ahlefeldt-Laurvig, in 1958 Ladekjær-Mikkelsen.
The main building upon an inlet in Hinge sø has a broad moat on the landside. It is a late Gothic stone house built in monk bricks . The building is marked by a romanticizing restoration. Year 1442 under the roof is a forgery.
Names in the Middle Ages:
Vinderslev (*1416 Winsleff sokn, 1468 Winneslæff); Pederstrup (1504 Peerstrup); Hauge (* 1405 Haffue); Elkær (1579 Elkier By); Fruerlund (* 1402 Frugerlund); Revl (* 1498 Reffuels garsted, 1573 Refuel); Mausing (* 1416 Magxingh); Lysdalgårde (1579 Liusdal); Brokhuse (Hauge Hedehuse) Voer (* 1498 Wore) Vinderslevgård (1578 Vindersløfgaard); Vinderslevholm (* 1540 Windersleffsholm); Fuglemosegård (1579 Fulmos Gaardsted); Hønholt (1579 Hønholt).
Listed prehistorics: 6 hills, all around Voer, close to Hærvejen, one at Grathe church yard is rather large.
Demolished or destroyed: 36 hills, of which 15 were situated close to Voer.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Vinderslev kirke/Vinderslevholm 2005/2006: grethe bachmann