Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Trans church/ Trans kirke, Vandfuld herred, Ringkøbing amt.
Only about 100 m from the steep cliff south of Bovbjerg fyr lies Trans church, which has been here for at least 800 years. Coast protection should be enough to prevent it from falling into the North Sea. Contrarily to Ferring Church has the church in Trans a desolate situation with a thatched school- house as its only neighbour. It is said that the North Sea has swept away about half the old parish. The rest is spread, red farms in the beautiful, treeless landscape with a blue sky at all four corners of the world. The church yard has few graves with the characteristic white-painted palings.
The church has a Romanesque choir and nave with a late Gothic west tower, but the National Museum's excavation in 1964 shows traces of three wooden churches under the church floor, the earliest from ab. 1000. The Romanesque parts are in granite ashlars . The north door and four windows are bricked-up. The south wall was re-walled in 1919. In the north wall was once a door which led up to a gallery. The tower has unusually steep gables to north and south. A south door leads into the vaulted bottom room, which has a round arch to the nave. Choir and nave have a beamed ceiling, the choir arch is re-walled in bricks. In a fire in 1912 a Gothic communion table , the altar piece, chalice, candelabres etc. were destroyed. Aftert this an altar piece with a painting by the North Jutland painter Niels Bjerre was placed upon a wooden communion table. A Romanesque granite font. Pulpit from 1635, while Henrik Krabbe of Damsgård was church warden, restored in 1924. In the nave a Gothic crucifix. Church bell from 1555. A couple ciborie-posts from ab. 1300, which were behind the old altar piece, are now at the National Museum.
North Sea at Trans/Bovbjerg (click to enlarge)
Names in the Middle ages and 1600s:
Trans (1330-48 Transæ); Kirkeby(* 1491 Kirckebye); Rækby (1595 Reckeby); Nederby (1610 Nederbye); Herpinggård (* 1454 Herpinggaard); Herping (1610 Herping, Herppingh); Emtkær (1610 Emb Kier); Norsgård (1595 Norszgaardt); Fuglkær (1610 Fogelkier); Gadegård (1642 Gaadgaard); Nr. and Sdr. Bjerg (1638 Biergegaard); Ø. Lykke (ab. 1525 Paa Løck).
Herpinggård was a main farm, to which Palle Krabbe is mentioned in 1408, his sons Malte K. 1454 and Hans K. in 1454 and 1460; last mentioned's sons Niels K. in 1480 and Thomas K. of Engbjerggård 1483 and 1490. In 1498 is mentioned Anne Eriksdatter of H., but in 1537 the farm is judged to Thomas Krabbe's sons-in-law Bernt Angeldrup, who is mentioned of H. in 1549 and Laurits Andersen (Haand), who is mentioned in 1561, until Christiern Nielsen and his siblings had paid what their mother Anne Eriksdatter had pawned besides her part of the inheritance.
In 1580 is mentioned Laurits Andersen's sons Anders and Thomas Lauritsen, the last mentioned is also the owner in 1609 together with Predbjørn Gyldenstierne. Kirsten Krabbe, a daughter of Godske Krabbe of Damsgård, is mentioned of H. 1609 and 1619, like her second husband Anders Mogensen (Vognsen) wrote himself of H. Later owners: Lunov, Munk, Galde, Unger, Galt, Seerup, Juul, Schønau, Stokholm, Kastberg. Owner in 1960 S.K. Hinrichsen.
In the parish was earlier mentioned the farms Grebdal (ab. 1525 I Grebedall), which was washed into the sea ab. 1900; Mullerup (1595 Søndmollerup); Bovbjerg (1595 Bouberg), Visterup (1688 Visterup), Marshale (1614 Marszhaler, 1618 Marshalle); Blåbjerg (1610 Blaebierg); Vesterby (ab. 1525 Westerby) and Oksenborg. The farms V. Norsgård, Østermark and Lynghøj (1595 Lønhøff) were washed into the sea in the 1800s.
Listed prehistorics: 11 hills, of which 7 in the row along oldtidsvejen (the prehistoric road) which ends here; a group of 3 large hills at Herpinggård.
Demolished or destroyed: 36 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Ringkøbing amt, 1965; Niels Peter Stilling, Danmarks kirker, 2000.
photo Trans kirke 2003: grethe bachmann