Thursday, September 10, 2009
Thise church / Thise kirke, Nørre herred, Viborg amt.
Thise Church , 15 km north east of Skive
Thise sogn, Nørre herred, Viborg amt.
Thise Church is the easternmost church upon the peninsula Salling in North Jutland near Limfjorden . It was built ab. 1200 upon a burial mound. The choir and nave are Romanesque and built in granite ashlars . There are three late Gothic additions - a western tower, a sacristy to the north and a porch to the south. The late Gothic tower is built in re-used ashlars and monk bricks with a pyramid roof and a spire. Upon the tower is the year 1787 and the initials AQ and MR referring to Anders Quistgaard of Jungetgaard and his wife Mette Ring. A free staricase in the north side of the tower gives access to the upper storey . The church bell is from 1788. The sacristy is built in ashlars, granite boulder and monk bricks. The porch is possibly Renaissance, built in monk bricks in irregular bond. Both original portals are partly preserved. The south door is in use, but very crumbled, it has a couple free pillars and a blank tympanon. The north door is alike but has lost its pillars. There are three Romanesque windows on the north side of the nave.
The inventory is marked with simplicity. The beamed ceilings are flat, the broad choir arch is the original. The sacristy has a cross vault. The altarpiece has a painting from 1876 by the important Danish Guldaldermaler Constantin Hansen. The pulpit in oak wood and the sounding-board are from 1603 with painted fields and a coat of arms for the family Bille who was the owner of Jungetgaard. The best artifact of the church is a pretty early Gothic crucifix from the beginning of the 1300s. The Romanesque granite baptismal font is of a very simple type. Between choir and sacristy is a heavy oak plank door with strong iron hinges and lock, which probably dates from before 1500 when the sacristy was built. I is now painted red like the church door.
Thise kirke was restored in 1986-87 since the church room was heavily worn by damp damages.
This is how a church dike should be with big stones and plants.
Many dikes at Danish churches are damaged.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Sønder Thise (* 1467 Tyszet, 1498 Tyisse, 1610 Sønder Tisze); Thisetorp ( 1524 Torp, 1683 Torp, Tiisze Torp); Hedegårde (1524 Hieegardt); Øster Hegnet (* 1467 Heynit, 1664 Øster Hegnet); Børsting (1610 Børsting); Kildskov (1498 Kielskoff); Bjergegård (1610 Bieregrdt) Sundsøregård (1664 Sundzør).
Thise Bundgård was in 1672-86 inhabited by Niels Parsberg of Eskær's widow Helle Gyldenstierne, in 1686 she conveyed it with 8 houses to her daughter Lisbeth Parsberg, married to Jørgen Høeg (Banner).
Hedegård belonged to Knud Pedersen Gyldenstierne of Tim (+ 1552) and his son Axel Gyldenstierne (+ 1603). In 1682 it belonged under Jungetgård, likewise in 1791.
Upon the border between T. and Junget parish from Gåsemosen til the fjord stretched an old earth dike, Borgediget, which according to the legend was raised in a border feud between T. and Grættrup villages. It is now demolished.
In Gåsemosen was during peat digging found a bridge dam in raw granite boulders and timber, which according to legend led to a castle Hav- or Hagbjerggård, possibly the castle in Brokholm Sø. (Grinderslev parish) .
Listed prehistorics: 10 hills, of which a large hill at Kildskov and a lesser on the church yard. Demolished or destroyed: 44 hills, mainly on the hilly land out to the fjord, and a long dolmen at the church; a hill at Kildskov possibly contained a passage grave, another at Sdr. Thise a stone cist, in which were a flint dagger and a clay-pot. - At Hvalpsund was a kitchen midden, at Hedegårde a settlement from early Stone Age.
Source: Trap Danmark, Viborg amt, 1962.
photo Thise kirke April 2004: grethe bachmann